Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHO calls for ban on smoking e-cigarettes indoors

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Snake wrote: »
    In fairness I love using the ecig indoors but if people are upset by it then it shouldn't be allowed... And whether anyone wants to hear it or not it's the same as someone lighting a fag beside you...we can't pick and choose what's okay just because we know it's safer, it might be safer but it doesn't make it any less annoying for some people and they shouldn't have to tolerate it, nor should we have to tolerate smoking beside us... I was on the bus a while back and a lad sitting behind me decided he'd give me a lecture on why I shouldn't use my ecig and how I'm breaking the law and he might report me... Now that's just being a wanker but if he had said listen mate would you mind not using that I don't like it, i wouldn't have a problem. It's just annoying that they're making them out to be completely poisoning when it's not the case. None the less if a place doesn't allow smoking, ecigarettes shouldn't be excluded. It's just not fair, tbh.

I have to compleetly disagree here.
    Several reasons, first including ecig in smoking bans isn't a matter of fair, it's about equivalence. If we support a smoking ban based on the 'proven' harm of shs then the same proof is needed to justify including ecigs. This is not forthcoming so bans are just spite based on don't like the look of it.
    Secondly, the fact that some people don't like it is irrelevant outside the group your in, It's public space, lots of things I don't like are going to happen their, should I have the right to stop people doing stuff based on my prejudices?
    In company, asking or stopping if objected to is one thing but do we need legislation to enforce this?
    Theirs also the point about encouraging smokers to switch by offering advantages that smoking hasn't got, price differential and opportunity to use them. At the end of the day this is about reducing smoking prevalence for public health so that's the path they should take. It's also about personal liberty and unless it's a proven health risk to others then it's should not be banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

In fairness I love using the ecig indoors but if people are upset by it then it shouldn't be allowed...

A bit of a whataboutery I'll admit, but public flatulence upsets me. Should it too also not be allowed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

Samba wrote: »
    A bit of a whataboutery I'll admit, but public flatulence upsets me. Should it too also not be allowed?

Completely different. You're being extremely onesided with this. For people who never smoked they shouldn't have to be sat beside you while you vape. I wouldn't force someone to and if you're attitude is thus, that's why they're planning to bring in a law against it. Some of you lads here are great to chat to but make a mention of banning them indoors you turn like rabid wolves. You're being fairly childish, in fairness. No one was allowed smoke for years and everyone got on grand why should it be allowed now with electronic cigarettes. Id hate to see them banned from indoor use but if it happens it happens. Most places already don't allow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

For the first few months i would have fought long and hard about this but one day i saw my mate vaping in a supermarket. Now when i vaped in the supermarket i either stealth vaped or else i blew the vapour straight up. He just blew it straight out and screw anyone around him. So because of that i say do it. Or at the very least say it is up to the establishment to display signs saying "vaping welcome" or "vaping banned" and allow them to enforce it as they see fit.

This wont happen so blanket ban and force them outside. I dont mind at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭JH_raheny

Completely different. You're being extremely onesided with this. For people who never smoked they shouldn't have to be sat beside you while you vape. I wouldn't force someone to and if you're attitude is thus, that's why they're planning to bring in a law against it. Some of you lads here are great to chat to but make a mention of banning them indoors you turn like rabid wolves. You're being fairly childish, in fairness. No one was allowed smoke for years and everyone got on grand why should it be allowed now with electronic cigarettes. Id hate to see them banned from indoor use but if it happens it happens. Most places already don't allow it.

I think it is you being onesided, treating vaping the same as smoking is completely stupid as it is 2 completely different things, your argument that someone who never smoked should not have to sit next to someone who vape is the same as saying that someone who never used deoderant should not have to sit next to someone who does, the whole witch hunt on smokers was mainly to protect other people from the alleged harm of second hand smoke but there is nothing to suggest that vape does harm anybody sitting next to you as it does not contain any of the cancer causing things tobacco does, the ever so tiny bit of nicotine they could MAYBE be subject to is so incredible small that there's ten times more in several of their daily food products.
    All the anti vape crap is scare mongering mainly from the people with financial interest in either ciggies or other products such as patches/gum/spray/tablets, they're ****ting themselves because of the success rate people have quitting by vaping rather than using THEIR products only to have loads of people fail and go and buy more of THEIR **** to try one more time, guess I could just say it is all down to MONEY

JH_raheny wrote: »
    I think it is you being onesided, treating vaping the same as smoking is completely stupid as it is 2 completely different things, your argument that someone who never smoked should not have to sit next to someone who vape is the same as saying that someone who never used deoderant should not have to sit next to someone who does, the whole witch hunt on smokers was mainly to protect other people from the alleged harm of second hand smoke but there is nothing to suggest that vape does harm anybody sitting next to you as it does not contain any of the cancer causing things tobacco does, the ever so tiny bit of nicotine they could MAYBE be subject to is so incredible small that there's ten times more in several of their daily food products.
    All the anti vape crap is scare mongering mainly from the people with financial interest in either ciggies or other products such as patches/gum/spray/tablets, they're ****ting themselves because of the success rate people have quitting by vaping rather than using THEIR products only to have loads of people fail and go and buy more of THEIR **** to try one more time, guess I could just say it is all down to MONEY

I didn't treat it like smoking... If it was the same as smoking why would I vape? It's much less harmless doesn't smell and is cheaper. But that doesn't mean its fair to use them inside if the masses aren't happy with it

I didn't treat it like smoking... If it was the same as smoking why would I vape? It's much less harmless doesn't smell and is cheaper. But that doesn't mean its fair to use them inside if the masses aren't happy with it

that's the problem, the masses don't seem to have a problem with it, it is the few that does, the few that have a financial interest in other nicotine products

JH_raheny wrote: »
    that's the problem, the masses don't seem to have a problem with it, it is the few that does, the few that have a financial interest in other nicotine products

Like I said I've been asked by a few people to stop using it because they don't like it, i can't imagine they hold a share in the tobacco industry. Given that most don't like them because of bull**** radio shows and newspaper articles

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭masonchat

Can you imagine 50 hardcore vapers in a small bar , oyu wouldnt be able to find the fire exit , to be fair i have no problem with not allowing their use in enclosed public spaces

• Advertisement

masonchat wrote: »
    Can you imagine 50 hardcore vapers in a small bar , oyu wouldnt be able to find the fire exit , to be fair i have no problem with not allowing their use in enclosed public spaces

a bar is the perfect place to allow people to vape if you want people to quit smoking and I somehow doubt you would get 50 vapers in a small bar at the same time anyway and even if you did then the vape doesn't hang around the same way smoke used to do, I'm also sure most vapers would be more than happy to adhere to some sort of vaping guide lines if it really was a problem.

Ah the vapor does hang around , especially if you have multipe users, i can fog a room up myself and ive seen it hang around at night in low light you will see it plainly, and guidelines just wond not work.

We are all currently used to not smoking in bars and the likes i dont see why its such a big deal to not vape there either, i do when i can , but have no problem not doing so if required.

I know you could be arguing weather or not its fair all year long thats just my view

You've jumped the gun there and made a number of inaccurate conclusions based on one sentence/question I typed.

I'm not being one sided and in fact if you go over my posts in regards to this topic you'll quickly see i hold a very balanced view on the subject. I was merely playing devil's advocate with your reasoning and logic, if some people don't like it, it should be banned. It's a bit of a logical fallacy if it can't be backed up with any scientific basis to justify a perceived health concern.

Here's a better example, what if someone were to vape pure VG with 0mg nicotine, would you argue that your logic is still sound?

Because people are ignorant that it's the exact same chemical compound you find in fog machines in concerts, or at the likes of Quaser/Laser Tag, it too should be banned?

For the record, I don't openly vape in public, I stealth vape more or less everywhere I go, mainly because I'm tired of all the ignorant assumptions and dumbass questions I'm regularly asked.

I understand you might feel like some posters are being a little overly aggressive challenging your position on this, but I'm merely attempting to open constructive dialogue which illuminates both sides of the coin, in a non-aggressive manner. :)

My personal view is that there shouldn't be a blanket ban on indoor vaping, however, businesses and private establishments should be free to make this choice for themselves, enforcing a blanket ban is rather draconian imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

I have never seen anywhere with a ban on vaping other than gov or semi state places. I doubt the anti's will settle for owners having the final say because it won't be the choice they would make. The anti's will fight for legal bans so they get their way rather than letting it find it's own level. Thats why we must fight back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

Ah the vapor does hang around , especially if you have multipe users, i can fog a room up myself and ive seen it hang around at night in low light you will see it plainly, and guidelines just wond not work.

Our last poker night had 4 of us vaping from 7 in the evening until 3 in the morning in an average to small kitchen with no vapour lingering to the point of the one non smoker and non vapour'er ( we need a word for this :) ) commenting how surprised he was .

jonski wrote: »
    Our last poker night had 4 of us vaping from 7 in the evening until 3 in the morning in an average to small kitchen with no vapour lingering to the point of the one non smoker and non vapour'er ( we need a word for this :) ) commenting how surprised he was .

That was my point, in a pub it would be non - existing

jonski wrote: »

I just came back from my dads he vapes and i vape , now i did have my magma clone but my mother a SMOKER had to open the window , room was more or less fogged up for the night and would be to a slightly lesser extent if i was using my protank.

I guess it would vary very much depend on number of vapers what devices they use what frequency they vape size of room ventilation , i know my vapor hangs around anyway when im chain vaping, maybe you are getting dodgy vg :D

I just came back from my dads he vapes and i vape , now i did have my magma clone but my mother a SMOKER had to open the window , room was more or less fogged up for the night and would be to a slightly lesser extent if i was using my protank.

I guess it would vary very much depend on number of vapers what devices they use what frequency they vape size of room ventilation , i know my vapor hangs around anyway when im chain vaping, maybe you are getting dodgy vg :D

You're right, but I honestly don't see how this has any relevance, if a private owner of an establishment wants to cater to a specific market (that fogs up the premises) then that should be their choice, if they're worried about it being an issue for other customers then they can choose to ban them.

I don't really see the fog as much of a problem but rather the pungent flavours that can stink up a room, but again this is no different than having to put up with perfume, flatulence or body odour.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Personally, if i was in the pub, I would go to the smokers area to vape.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Personally, if i was in the pub, I would go to the smokers area to vape.

I do the same unless I'm in bar that's vaper friendly because I won't get hassled, but I can't stand the smell of cigarette smoke anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭whats newxt

jesus they are expensive enough as it is i hope they do tax them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

I seriously hope some organisation with a bit of clout pulls the WHO up on this.
    As vapers, it's something that we already assumed, but the damage done by the WHO and some others with vested interests needs to be reversed.

I got talking to an older guy that smokes recently and when he saw my ecig (H2 on a 900 battery) he launched into this "Those things are 10 times worse than cigarettes) !!!!

Well done WHO, well done!! :mad:

Advertisement