Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHO calls for ban on smoking e-cigarettes indoors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Heres the link to the document so you can read it for yourselves, get some 50mg nic to calm the temper.
    http://apps.who.int/gb/fctc/PDF/cop6/FCTC_COP6_10-en.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭masonchat

And the american heart association have come out and said e-cigs less harmfull than smoking but share WHO concerns about normalising smoking and recommend that e-cigs be taxed enough to dissuade kids but should stay cheaper than cigs,

que e-cigs becoming as dear as fags currently are and the government increasing the tax on fags even further, i fear the days of an affordable vape are numbered

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Well that makes for some frustrating reading. In addition to seeking a ban on indoor use they're also seeking a ban on flavouring

I have enough batteries/mods/tanks to last me years id say and 4.5liters of liquid , im down to 3mg nic , think i will make an effort to get to 0 nic and will try to quit altogether , if god himself came down and said vaping is safe the nanny state dummies will still be shouting it normalises smoking .

and you can only stock up for so long its just delaying the enevitable no way im going back on the cigs or paying tax for ecigs they can go to hell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭moonboy52

I can live with minors not being allowed to buy e-cigs and even not allowing minors to buy 0mg juice. I have no issue either with banning vaping indoors.
    Even a little tax would be fine but obviously would rather pay no tax :D

But as adults we should be allowed to make our own choices, so i hope reason wins out in the end.

• Advertisement

Moonboy reason is the very last thing that will win out, i totally agree on the first 3 points , but not on the tax and especially since i dont see it being a LITTLE tax but more in line with current tax on cigs i could be totally wrong of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Tax at current tobacco levels would not certainly not be acceptable.

The worldwide tobacco lobby must be throwing money around at present, to get lawmakers to do their bidding.

yeah big tobacco and big pharma will be high fiving each other if that happens, im finding it very stressfull , im trying to keep the old man going on them as well and thats a bigger concern than keeping myself going

It is a step on from when they sought an outright ban, not a big step but at least the WHO is now whare the rest of tobaco control was 18 months ago. I don't count Glantz et al as tobacco control, the're moral crusaders, I'm thinking of ASH and other smoking groups.
    What is worrying is this insistence on indoor bans, flavor bans and restrictions on claims of success as quit aids. Yes claims should be supportable but this insistence on clinical tests while real world figures contradict the clinical results is silly.
    Bans on indoor use is based on 'levels above background' what ever that is, odd because their is no increase in levels above background that can be measured without a 12 million pound mass spectrometer and then only in specific conditions. It's also bulsh1t because this increase is of no concern to anyone as shown by several tests.
    Bans on flavors is also stupid, it serves no purpose at all if ecigs are banned from under 18's then who are they protecting?
    I suspect that the WHO enclosed in their echo chamber think the campaign for a tobacco free world is going swimmingly and should reach it's completion in another 50 years, they don't want to have to rejig the Framework again to accommodate this new upstart. After all it took a long hard struggle to get the framework to where it is today (still haven't gotten the US to sign up but the yanks hate to sign anything)
    I suspect this is more about keeping their method of tobacco control relevant more than any real evidence of risk from ecigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

tommy2bad wrote: »
    I suspect that the WHO enclosed in their echo chamber think the campaign for a tobacco free world is going swimmingly and should reach it's completion in another 50 years, they don't want to have to rejig the Framework again to accommodate this new upstart. After all it took a long hard struggle to get the framework to where it is today (still haven't gotten the US to sign up but the yanks hate to sign anything)
    I suspect this is more about keeping their method of tobacco control relevant more than any real evidence of risk from ecigs.
    If the ecigs get banned, I'll probably go back onto the smokes :(

Have they gotten China to sign up? I ask as they produce about 42% of the tobacco leaf.

But it's stupid. Ban the e-cig, not the tobacco. It seems WHO are saying that some companies are using harmful ingredients in their e-cigs, but completely ignore what's in cigarettes.

Off topic question; why do cigarette packets not list all of their ingredients?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Who?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭jousting with chairs

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Who?

:pac:

World Health Organisation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Theres just been an interview on Newstalk with a doctor from the WHO.

Its worth listening to. Much of the same old statements and an uniformed deferential journalist with no counter point questions.

If I were still a smoker listening to this, I would be making an uninformed decision to remain a smoker purely based on the scaremongering of the WHO and not entertain switching to electronic cigarettes.

Is this what they actually want????:confused::confused::confused:

I thought it odd that the who guy said their were no acceptable levels for the chemicals from ecigs. This is obviously a lie as their are actual legal limits and recommendations on all chemicals and air quality. I wonder why the reporter let this slip by without question. Also the piece on MI seemed to consist of 'this is what the WHO said', next story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

There are those who wish to live their life on their own terms and there are those who need medical help because they believe everyone should live life according to theirs

Is this what they actually want????:confused::confused::confused:
    Yup. They want the entire world smoke free in 50 years. They want to stomp out e-cigs with the 50 year thing in mind. Seems they want the smokers dead in 50 years, than to stop people smoking in 50 years?

I thought it odd that the who guy said their were no acceptable levels for the chemicals from ecigs. This is obviously a lie as their are actual legal limits and recommendations on all chemicals and air quality. I wonder why the reporter let this slip by without question. Also the piece on MI seemed to consist of 'this is what the WHO said', next story.

This doctor also repeatedly called the exhaled vapour "smoke".

This was crazy stuff, I know it's probably splitting hairs for those genuinely ignorant of E cigs, but surely some journalist on Newstalk or RTE uses the bloody things??

Calling it smoke was deliberate, he knew the difference but wanted to rais the scare level and add to the confusion of smoke vaper in peoples minds.
    Yesterday the WHO not only released the report but went on the offensive on twitter with over 100 tweets about the dangers of vaping, nicotine( while extolling nrt?).This was not meerly a report as to their findings but a concerted campaign against ecigs. The who and their pharma backers are scared of ecigs and want them gone for a mixture of ideological and financial reasons.

Calling it smoke was deliberate, he knew the difference but wanted to rais the scare level and add to the confusion of smoke vaper in peoples minds.
    Yesterday the WHO not only released the report but went on the offensive on twitter with over 100 tweets about the dangers of vaping, nicotine( while extolling nrt?).This was not meerly a report as to their findings but a concerted campaign against ecigs. The who and their pharma backers are scared of ecigs and want them gone for a mixture of ideological and financial reasons.

Interesting reading, you are correct :
    www.who.int/tobacco/communications/highlights/note_nrt_therapy/en/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,313 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

WHO still had homosexuality on their list of curable mental disorders up to the 1990s, they are a fairly terrible organisation.
    Not entirely relevant to e-cigs as such, but a useful rejoinder in the 'WHO said it, therefore it must be true' e-cig debates.

• Advertisement

Yesterday the WHO not only released the report but went on the offensive on twitter with over 100 tweets about the dangers of vaping, nicotine( while extolling nrt?).
    AFAIK, there's nicotine in potatoes...

the_syco wrote: »
    AFAIK, there's nicotine in potatoes...

In all veg or fruit from the nightshade family of which tobacco is only one. Tomatoes, aubergine and humble spuds all have nicotine. In fact every living human will test positive for nicotine. Without it we couldn't metabolize niacin a necessary vitamin. BTW niacin or Vitamin B3 is so called because it's original name was nicotinic acid, this was changed due to the association with nicotine which has been demonized since forever because of it connection with tobacco.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Wow Kim Jong Un would be proud of some of the tweets from WHO account.

I'd be the first to conceed that the jury is still it to some degree, (but I'll take my chances over proven harmful analogues), but the level of misinformation is absolutley staggering an pretty pathetic from a supposedly prestigious global scientific body.

In contrast to the WHO "report", this briefing from ASH is surprisingly well balanced, given where they're coming from:

http://www.ash.org.uk/files/documents/ASH_715.pdf

For example:
    The fact that many electronic cigarettes look similar to conventional cigarettes has been said to risk
    confusion as to their use in enclosed public places, such as on public transport. 31,32 However, given
    that the most distinctive feature of cigarette smoking is the smell of the smoke, which travels rapidly,
    and that this is absent from electronic cigarette use, it is not clear how any such confusion would be
    sustained.

Furthermore, the absence of risk from “secondhand” inhalation of vapour from electronic cigarettes
    has been described as an “often unconsidered advantage” of electronic cigarettes. 33 As an alternative
    to smoking, electronic cigarettes are preferable in situations where secondhand smoke poses serious
    health risks to others, such as in vehicles or in the home.

And the WHO's response to criticism of it document?
    An attempt to protect it image by refuting the criticism? some explanation as to why it's taking such an extreme stance?
    None of the above, instead it trys to bully the critics with legal threats.
    http://antithrlies.com/2014/08/28/who-responds-to-criticism-over-e-cigarettes-with-attempted-censorship/

who-is-killing-people-logo.png?w=500&h=153

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

Download the logo from there and post/tweet it everywhere :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Right, that's it! I'm going back on the smokes and I'm never eating tomatoes, aubergines or spuds again :mad:

Happy now WHO and ASH? Oh, and I'm never buying either of your albums again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/stubbing-out-ecigarettes-will-condemn-smokers-to-death-30545658.html

A relatively balanced piece in the Indo, what is the world coming to?

P_1 wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/opinion/stubbing-out-ecigarettes-will-condemn-smokers-to-death-30545658.html

A relatively balanced piece in the Indo, what is the world coming to?

End Times, I'm telling ye end times.
    Good article and typical of most reactions to the WHO document. I think they left it a bit late on this, if they had grasped the threat ecigs are earlier thy could have done something but even they now realize that that ship has sailed.
    Best they can do now is try to limit their appeal to smokers and non smokers. Note how they don't call for an outright ban which if their concerns are real would be justified, instead they settle for restricting ecigs to replicas of traditional cigarettes while at the same time admitting that ecigs are far less harmful. Odd contradictory thinking and resort to rhetorical language rather than a report of the findings of studies and conclusion drawn.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

In fairness I love using the ecig indoors but if people are upset by it then it shouldn't be allowed... And whether anyone wants to hear it or not it's the same as someone lighting a fag beside you...we can't pick and choose what's okay just because we know it's safer, it might be safer but it doesn't make it any less annoying for some people and they shouldn't have to tolerate it, nor should we have to tolerate smoking beside us... I was on the bus a while back and a lad sitting behind me decided he'd give me a lecture on why I shouldn't use my ecig and how I'm breaking the law and he might report me... Now that's just being a wanker but if he had said listen mate would you mind not using that I don't like it, i wouldn't have a problem. It's just annoying that they're making them out to be completely poisoning when it's not the case. None the less if a place doesn't allow smoking, ecigarettes shouldn't be excluded. It's just not fair, tbh.

Advertisement