Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which fuel provider do you use? (Diesel)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

why does everyone always seem to hate on tesco fuel so bad? it seems to crop up in every "which fuel" thread. is it because their main business is groceries?

i have filled up pretty much exclusively at tesco for the last 7 years, had a variety of petrol and diesel (japanese import turbo petrol engines and european direct injection diesels, aswell as some n/a petrols and older diesels) cars and never had an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

why does everyone always seem to hate on tesco fuel so bad? it seems to crop up in every "which fuel" thread. is it because their main business is groceries?

i have filled up pretty much exclusively at tesco for the last 7 years, had a variety of petrol and diesel (japanese import turbo petrol engines and european direct injection diesels, aswell as some n/a petrols and older diesels) cars and never had an issue.

Only one reason I won't use Tesco fuel...
    It's way too expensive compared to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

K.Flyer wrote: »

True that I use to use Dundrum a lot as was close and did at one point be cheaper by at least 2 cent but now it's the same or more then everywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

well that varies station to station so that's different i suppose. it's the people who seem to suggest it's of an inferior quality etc.

my local tesco is right between an apple and a great gas so as you can imagine prices are quite consistent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Mackas_view

When you say your car runs rougher? What are the signs of it running rougher? I'm not sure I have experienced this or if I have I haven't noticed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Only use Tesco in Ireland, usually because I'm getting groceries too though! Never had any problem with it.

Would have no issue using branded e.g. Texaco or similar but would never use any station with "cheap" fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

but would never use any station with "cheap" fuel.

Why Not?

There are three "service stations" around Dublin City who are very consistent with cheap diesel prices and I always endeavour to use them. It makes no sense to me to be paying up to 10cent more per litre just because its got a brand name or some gimmicky loyalty card.
    As for the "cheap diesel ruins your engine" I've just had my van in for its DOE with 200,000 km and the emissions came back spot on, tester said it was running really well.
    At 139.9 to 140.9 a litre from an independent station. I'll take it off them every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

No, some of it is washed green diesel, very bad for your engine.

But I don't think Tesco would use washed diesel, and I've only heard one suggestion I can recall that an applegreen outlet did.

I use Applegreen all the time, I think the extra miles/tank is in people's heads. If there were cost-effective additives that made that much difference per tank, they'd all add them.

Your not going to find washed diesel in any branded petrol station!
    In my opinion Topaz, Tesco, Texaco, Esso, Shell, Great Gas, Apple Green, Top or Maxol are all the same, and I'm yet to read anything in this thread to suggest anything different!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

When you say your car runs rougher? What are the signs of it running rougher? I'm not sure I have experienced this or if I have I haven't noticed.

It might be only subjective but all of my cars have seemed to idle different and develop flat spots in acceleration when filled from empty with tesco and apple green.
    This hasn't happened with the other big brands, which is why I'm willing to pay the 0.1 cent a L difference between my local apple green and maxol.

Skuxx wrote: »
    Your not going to find washed diesel in any branded petrol station!
    In my opinion Topaz, Tesco, Texaco, Esso, Shell, Great Gas, Apple Green, Top or Maxol are all the same, and I'm yet to read anything in this thread to suggest anything different!!

Yes you can as the 1 on the quays and enniskerry were branded but owners thought it would be good to use laundered diesel to make a nice little extra.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Yes you can as the 1 on the quays and enniskerry were branded but owners thought it would be good to use laundered diesel to make a nice little extra.

You talking complete crap, why do people like you spout rubbish about things that they are absolutely no knowledge ?

The one on the quays that your referring to is I presume the Top and is now Esso. There has never been any question that the fuel here is anything other than 100% genuine, in fact he is one of the main retailers fighting against another very well know fuel launderer (who has incidently have one of his sites named in this thread already). That quays site was prosecuted (and rightly so) by the NSAI for incorrect dispensing of fuel volumes from the pumps, and was subsequently found guilty in court and fined. It was absolutely nothing to do with washed fuel. If it was washed and he had been caught he would not longer be trading as his Auto Fuel Traders License would not have been issued or renewed with such an issue against him. The same operator has run that site for many years. He is a competitor of mine but his fuel is perfect. His dispensing previously less so!

And your other clueless example of the Enniskerry road station being closed due to washed fuel is also complete nonsense. That site was closed as a result of the owners (headed up by a very wealthy Scottish man), having a huge contractual disagreement with the Fuel company and a stand off occuring. As result of which the owners refused to deal with the fuel company and the fuel company refused to allow the owners to deal with any other fuel company. So in a fit of pique the owners closed the site are and sitting it out and awaiting the 10 year break clause in the 15 year contract they signed with the fuel company for supply. Once that expires it will reopen and will have the companies fighting to win the contract of supply there. Its an excellent site.

Please do not make statements about thing you know nothing about.

You can now reply with some fantastical lies about some it being your brother in laws car who was destroyed etc etc and how you know for a FACT that its washed fuel.

There are (allegedly of course) 3 city center sites selling washed derv, and one of these is also selling striped petrol. There is a further 6 alleged sites within a 3 miles radius of the city. Everyone in the industry knows them and Revenue are all over them trying to catch them. Off these 9 sites 8 are supplied with this washed fuel by one well known individual (one of whose sites has been named on this thread- allegedly).

The introduction of the AFTL has eliminated all but the largest launderers, and the new dye will see the end of washed fuel by Feb 2015. Its a dying practice thankfully.

And for the record, I have no affiliation or connection in anyway with the two sites you falsely claimed to know anything about. In fact they are both competitor brands to my own sites.

Bandara wrote: »
    You talking complete crap, why do people like you spout rubbish about things that they are absolutely no knowledge ?

The one on the quays that your referring to is I presume the Top and is now Esso. There has never been any question that the fuel here is anything other than 100% genuine, in fact he is one of the main retailers fighting against another very well know fuel launderer (who has incidently have one of his sites named in this thread already). That quays site was prosecuted (and rightly so) by the NSAI for incorrect dispensing of fuel volumes from the pumps, and was subsequently found guilty in court and fined. It was absolutely nothing to do with washed fuel. If it was washed and he had been caught he would not longer be trading as his Auto Fuel Traders License would not have been issued or renewed with such an issue against him. The same operator has run that site for many years. He is a competitor of mine but his fuel is perfect. His dispensing previously less so!

And your other clueless example of the Enniskerry road station being closed due to washed fuel is also complete nonsense. That site was closed as a result of the owners (headed up by a very wealthy Scottish man), having a huge contractual disagreement with the Fuel company and a stand off occuring. As result of which the owners refused to deal with the fuel company and the fuel company refused to allow the owners to deal with any other fuel company. So in a fit of pique the owners closed the site are and sitting it out and awaiting the 10 year break clause in the 15 year contract they signed with the fuel company for supply. Once that expires it will reopen and will have the companies fighting to win the contract of supply there. Its an excellent site.

Please do not make statements about thing you know nothing about.

You can now reply with some fantastical lies about some it being your brother in laws car who was destroyed etc etc and how you know for a FACT that its washed fuel.

There are (allegedly of course) 3 city center sites selling washed derv, and one of these is also selling striped petrol. There is a further 6 alleged sites within a 3 miles radius of the city. Everyone in the industry knows them and Revenue are all over them trying to catch them. Off these 9 sites 8 are supplied with this washed fuel by one well known individual (one of whose sites has been named on this thread- allegedly).

The introduction of the AFTL has eliminated all but the largest launderers, and the new dye will see the end of washed fuel by Feb 2015. Its a dying practice thankfully.

And for the record, I have no affiliation or connection in anyway with the two sites you falsely claimed to know anything about. In fact they are both competitor brands to my own sites.

:pac::pac::pac::pac::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

All Derv sold in Ireland is the same...its all in your heads...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Why Not?

There are three "service stations" around Dublin City who are very consistent with cheap diesel prices and I always endeavour to use them. It makes no sense to me to be paying up to 10cent more per litre just because its got a brand name or some gimmicky loyalty card.
    As for the "cheap diesel ruins your engine" I've just had my van in for its DOE with 200,000 km and the emissions came back spot on, tester said it was running really well.
    At 139.9 to 140.9 a litre from an independent station. I'll take it off them every day.

I'm not telling you what you should do, only what I do. You can do whatever you want :)

Several people I know have had issues with Diesel (and some Petrol) cars and when you ask them they have usually filled up in "certain" non-branded places, a few cent cheaper than the others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Why Not?

That's all well and good until this happens after just 5000 miles

Image449.jpg
    Image450.jpg
    Image452.jpg

And on closer inspection the cheap crap you get is actually the stuff in the middle
    Image099.jpg

When pumps go bang and the repair bill is a telephone number I have no sympathy for those cheapskating on fuel. I say f*ck the loss, it's their own miserable fault

But what would I know... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Ahh don't be so pedantic, that's a perfectly good filter, capable of another 5k :pac: :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭vickers209

Bandara wrote: »

I can confirm this and the case was sorted last year and the site reopened in march/April of this year under a new manger who runs 3 other sites for the same company,

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I normally buy diesel from either Amber or Unecol but I'll buy it anywhere :)

I use Topaz, only Topaz, 99% of the time the same outlet. Diesel Lancer.

Advertisement