Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which fuel provider do you use? (Diesel)

Options
  • 25-08-2014 11:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭

Hi was wondering what if any pumps do people tend to stick to when putting fuel in their cars? With the loyalty cards becoming more popular, is there any one people think are worth using. Ive heard stories of one major fuel provider having dirty diesel and that's why it's always few cents cheaper that the rest ?

Thoughts and comments appreciated :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

In my area I always use the local TOP station for a diesel. I get about 0.5 l/100km better results from them than from anyone else in the region.

Other car is petrol, and it doesn't make a difference. IMO petrol is the same everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Mackas_view

CiniO wrote: »
    In my area I always use the local TOP station for a diesel. I get about 0.5 l/100km better results from them than from anyone else in the region.

Other car is petrol, and it doesn't make a difference. IMO petrol is the same everywhere.

I find topaz to be fairly good. Apple green give me a lot less miles for the same price. Could be just my car. I'm not sure about Top.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

I just use the one(s) that are near me, or any ones that I'm passing if on a longer journey. As long as they are one of the well known brands, I don't really pass too much heed. Don't go near tesco though, something doesn't sit right with me with them.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Northumberland Rd. Service Station, Dublin 4.
    Diesel is 139.9 and the milage is much the same as usual (mainly city driving).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

I just use the one(s) that are near me, or any ones that I'm passing if on a longer journey. As long as they are one of the well known brands, I don't really pass too much heed. Don't go near tesco though, something doesn't sit right with me with them.....

What doesn't sit right. Care to elaborate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Well... i dont but tesco toilet paper because it tears up when wiping

So stick to the main brands.

But i tend to stick to maxol or topaz here or if i ever get a chance and happen to be in the UK then its all BP Ultimate !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

I always use Shell at Albion Park Rail

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I tend to use Maxol but thats more out of circumstance than it is loyalty (ie I live near one and pass another on my way to work).

Im not really all that picky, however will tend to avoid unbranded ones if at all possible. Have had a couple of bad experiences with small local stations that werent main brands; I dont know if it was dirty petrol or watered down or what it was but the car felt absolutely awful until I filled up in a station that I knew again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I use a Topaz most weeks becuase its near where I work and it has a butcher beside it that I frequent. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

It is easier to name the ones I don't use. I don't use topaz or especially applegreen and Tesco where I can avoid them and I don't use non-brand places either. Everything else is grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭irishbuzz

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Northumberland Rd. Service Station, Dublin 4.
    Diesel is 139.9 and the milage is much the same as usual (mainly city driving).

Where on Northumberland Rd. is that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Topaz 90% of the time esso 10% of the time. I literally use no other brands outside them two. The car would want to be about to stop on the road before I'd buy anything else in. As for using tesco fuel I'd rather run out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Does all diesel in Ireland not come from the same refinery in cork and therefore is all the same??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Bpmull wrote: »
    Topaz 90% of the time esso 10% of the time. I literally use no other brands outside them two. The car would want to be about to stop on the road before I'd buy anything else in. As for using tesco fuel I'd rather run out.

Why out of curiosity? What's wrong with maxol?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Mackas_view

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    It is easier to name the ones I don't use. I don't use topaz or especially applegreen and Tesco where I can avoid them and I don't use non-brand places either. Everything else is grand.

Why don't you use those big three and why especially Apple green?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

djimi wrote: »
    Why out of curiosity? What's wrong with maxol?

I've always just got into using them two. I do know someone that has tested samples in the lab and said topaz esso were the best quality diesel and I think maxol may have been up there too make what you want of that and it's not the sole reason I use them. But I've always been getting the best mpg out of them two. There is no maxol garage near me either. Probably just habit at this stage but I would still avoid tesco, applegreen and top would be the main ones which I just wouldn't touch. Again that's just my choice some people may find them great.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Skuxx wrote: »
    Does all diesel in Ireland not come from the same refinery in cork and therefore is all the same??

No, some of it is washed green diesel, very bad for your engine.

But I don't think Tesco would use washed diesel, and I've only heard one suggestion I can recall that an applegreen outlet did.

I use Applegreen all the time, I think the extra miles/tank is in people's heads. If there were cost-effective additives that made that much difference per tank, they'd all add them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

Skuxx wrote: »
    People seem to think that brands have their own refinery. The only difference between stations is the way the fuel is handled after delivery, and if the tanks are kept clean, especially water in the tanks.

Watering down the petrol?? :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Depends on the car tbh.
    When I'm running my daily hack, especially my straight diesel Fiesta or Carina, then whatever is the cheapest diesel place gets thrown in.
    For other cars especially anything modern or JDM, I'd avoid the likes of applegreen, tesco, unbranded stations, EMO and anything of that ilk. Never know what you're getting. Used to have the topaz loyalty card until they changed to weekly billing and removed the set price.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

irishbuzz wrote: »
    Where on Northumberland Rd. is that?

From Baggot St bridge towards Ballsbridge, down Pembroke Rd, at the end of Pembroke Rd turn left onto Northumberland Rd and it is immediately on your left beside the Israeli Embassy and Pembroke Lane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Why don't you use those big three and why especially Apple green?

Tesco I just don't like the idea of. I would't buy food there if I could go somewhere else (Irish in particular)

My old car used to run really crap on Topaz petrol so out of habit I still avoid it.

My current car has got poor MPG on the only 2 tanks I've bought at Applegreen and a lot of people seem to think that its bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

Depends on the car tbh.
    When I'm running my daily hack, especially my straight diesel Fiesta or Carina, then whatever is the cheapest diesel place gets thrown in.
    For other cars especially anything modern or JDM, I'd avoid the likes of applegreen, tesco, unbranded stations, EMO and anything of that ilk. Never know what you're getting. Used to have the topaz loyalty card until they changed to weekly billing and removed the set price.

If you look at their spec sheets for GreatGas, they say EMO at the top of the page.

Before they had 3 different spec sheets for each fuel, depending on where it was coming from.
    ConPhilips (whitegate cork)
    Dublin port
    And whatever place/ port is up north.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

pa990 wrote: »
    If you look at their spec sheets for GreatGas, they say EMO at the top of the page.

Before they had 3 different spec sheets for each fuel, depending on where it was coming from.
    ConPhilips (whitegate cork)
    Dublin port
    And whatever place/ port is up north.
    GreatGas - that;s another I'd avoid in anything other than the likes of a sh!tty carina!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Ded_Zebra wrote: »

That's funny, I always seem to get more out of a rank at applegreen than the rest, especially texaco.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Mostly Esso for me, seem to get slightly better mileage and response from it. I avoid Applegreen, and Topaz as I find it sluggish. I also avoid some of the more unusual locations mentioned on here as at one in particular I have seen the diesel being delivered from an MN registered unbranded tanker at 2.00 am (have a photo, must try and locate it). I don't reckon it worth saving the one or two cent for the risk involved. Taxis seem to love it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

It's just that the fact that they are able to sell their fuel at a usually cheaper cost than most other retailers raises eyebrows with me, and the ability to reduce it further if you spend X amount in the shop. Judging by their other own brand products, and their crap quality, I'd rather to avoid potentially putting something similar into my vehicles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

CiniO wrote: »

If you believe that, you are in for a nasty shock. Certainly in NI quality doesn't differ. Not down here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

I filled up a certain posters 520i with petrol from apple green as he was giving me a lift halfway across the country. On the way back, the bp ultimate was put in, noticeable difference instantly.

Now maybe it might have been in our heads, but even if it is, feck it.
    All of my cars have seemed to run rougher on apple green or tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

are tesco not supplied by topaz ? ive often seen topaz fuel tankers filling the tanks at my local tescos .
    i tend to use Texaco or Maxol . just out of habit . but generally i use all the mainstream brands , i only avoid local no name brands

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

are tesco not supplied by topaz ? ive often seen topaz fuel tankers filling the tanks at my local tescos .
    i tend to use Texaco or Maxol . just out of habit . but generally i use all the mainstream brands , i only avoid local no name brands

That would be Reynolds logistics that supplies them and just use tanks for any job if running short

If you see these little stations that were poping up in lanes and tyre places these were dodgy as hell.

I would be like most and prefer using good brand names so we are to believe.

One in Enniskerry which was closed for the last couple of years was a good brand and he was filling with dodgy diesel and got caught when a customer only filled his new diesel there and the engine/injectors went.

Advertisement