Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Are French cars still poor.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

shamrock55 wrote: »
    http://www.reliabilityindex.com/reliability/search/233

well if its reliability we are after ill have a bit of this:eek:

Great cars those, I had one for years that I sold on to a family member after, and it has never given either of us a problem. They are also good value on the used market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Naimless

Are they thirsty

Naimless wrote: »
    Are they thirsty

35-40 mpg depending on how you drive and types of journey if you are asking about the lancer. Diesel version is significantly better than that but I've no experience of those

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

mickeyk wrote: »
    35-40 mpg depending on how you drive and types of journey if you are asking about the lancer. Diesel version is significantly better than that but I've no experience of those

The diesels are meant to be mighty apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭forgodssake

hi OP
    I've had a C4 since January. Absolutely love it. Was initially worried when I heard all the stories about French cars , way I see it everyone knows someone who had a certain car and had awful trouble with it. I'd highly recommend the C4 its great on diesel , very comfortable and roomy and its been reliable for me so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭CantonasCollar

I have the misfortune of driving a Renault Scenic, and I hate it. The best description I ever heard of it was that they spent a fortune designing it (they have cos its beyond practical for kids) but they spent about 50p on the engineering (its tinny as hell)

hi OP
    I've had a C4 since January. Absolutely love it. Was initially worried when I heard all the stories about French cars , way I see it everyone knows someone who had a certain car and had awful trouble with it. I'd highly recommend the C4 its great on diesel , very comfortable and roomy and its been reliable for me so far

That engine can be hit and miss, maintenance on time every time with the correct oil is crucial to avoid expensive turbo issues in future. Lots of threads on here about the 1.6 psa engine if you are not already aware of potential problems

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭derry

If your in the market for new car citron Nissan are excellent.
    if your in the market for second hand cars more than 7 years old that's where the Nissan is way ahead .
    French cars new run for 5 years often dont give many problems .
    Its later the complex electronics are the nightmare in them .

I bought in Spain for laugh for €400 in April a 1997 French convertible LHD 306 with 1800cc petrol limited edition Ferrari tuning .
    it ran great for the first few weeks and suited me living in Spain with the no roof . June I hit a pot hole bump in the road the car stopped working . The crash sensors said the car had crashed and switched fuel of to the engine . I didn't want to spend the telephone numbers the local Peugeot garage wanted to reset the system and fix the problem .. So for june july I drive my relible 1993 Toyota car I found a cheap local mechanic in August who reset the system but the engine management light is still on and car has minor fuel leak which costs a fortune to repair with Peugeot parts . So now I drive the 306 car with he roof down just local stuff keep the tank close to empty and will drive until it finds some other electronic problem pops up and bin it .It was cheaper than renting a car typically 300 per month and the girls like the convertible car

The only french cars I buy are the old ones for few 100 euros that way when they give me bill for 1000 euros to replace the electronic brain or similar I bin them

French cars for me are only good for first users to 5 years and last users from ~10 years onwards its the in between users who get taken to the cleaners .

If your buying a car new to last you life time of 15 years or more Japanese Asian every time for me .

All the Spanish mechanics I know wont touch 5 to 10 year old french cars with a barge pole they are electronic nightmare .

Best car the world ever had was the Puegeout 404 family had one new from 1968 to 1980 until icy night broke the block . No electronics I rebuilt the car in 1976 as kid and was first car to drive for me .
    In Morocco they still got them there so next year will go there and buy one for probably ~€500 and get the Moroccans mechanics I know here from Spain to get their mates in Morocca do it up for cheap and that will probably be my main car . I hate electronics in cars and I am trained in electronics .

if you can devise a way to tear out the electronics from modern french cars then they would be OK they could last 15 plus years as well as the Asian and Japanese cars .

Derry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭EunanMac

nc19 wrote: »
    As a person making their living in the motor trade, reliant on cars breaking down or needing repair, I say buy all the french and german muck you can cos if there were only jap cars in the country there would only be enough work for 1/10 the number of mechanics out there......

Is there any truth to the rumours newer jap models are not half as well made as they used to be, with a lot of cost cutting and inferior parts creeping in ?

Also what are the newer Hyundai and Kia models like ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

EunanMac wrote: »
    Is there any truth to the rumours newer jap models are not half as well made as they used to be, with a lot of cost cutting and inferior parts creeping in ?

Also what are the newer Hyundai and Kia models like ?

Because someone ran in to our old Saab, we've had a rental 141 reg Corolla. It is nothing like Jap cars of Old. Gutless. Soleless. Asthmatic. And not light on juice either. There again, it's not actually Japanese. ... Isn't it made in Turkey these days ? Which would explain a whole lot of things. ..

I'd buy a KIA or Hyundai first tbh.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
Advertisement