Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car insurance 19 y/o 320d

Options
  • 25-08-2014 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all,

Ive saved up for a year now and have enough money to get what I've always wanted.. A BMW 320d m sport only problem is I can't get insurance as I'm only 19 and only have provisional.

I've tried liberty axa chill etc no luck.

So my question is does anybody know an insurance firm that will insurance me no matter the cost I don't mind paying a ridiculous amount.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,426 ✭✭✭✭cson

Rossio12 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Ive saved up for a year now and have enough money to get what I've always wanted.. A BMW 320d m sport only problem is I can't get insurance as I'm only 19 and only have provisional.

I've tried liberty axa chill etc no luck.

So my question is does anybody know an insurance firm that will insurance me no matter the cost I don't mind paying a ridiculous amount.

Cheers

That and that don't compute. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Best of luck is all I can say! With the likes of XS Direct gone there arent going to be many (if any at all) who will take on a 19 year old learner in a car like that. Best thing you can do for yourself is get your full license.

And in the meantime maybe try Boxymo; they might quote you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Rossio12

Would any of you's know if I put the car under say my da's name and went under his insurance would I be accepted?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Would any of you's know if I put the car under say my da's name and went under his insurance would I be accepted?

Probably make no difference, it's called fronting as well and the insurance companies are well wise to it.

Does your father already have insurance on another car?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,171 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

They will still load the highest risk driver whether it be the main driver or named driver.

• Advertisement

In that car? They may not be willing to add you as a named driver even. Unfortunately for you the car is simply beyond your age and experience. Pass your test and then see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Get a cheap 1.0-1.2 for a few hundred quid to pass your test in, then you can look at getting something better.

It's a pain but it's the best way forward for you.

Just be patient and get that test passed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

If you cba to do your test you shouldn't be able to drive a relatively fast diesel car, simple really.

Did it not cross your mind while saving to apply ?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

How much will the car cost you?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

It's a fact of life that when you are trying to get into a proper car, you have to take a hit by first passing your test and then driving a cheap, low-powered car for at least a year before you're going to get a decent insurance quote on something proper. Every single person here has had to do it ;)

With that said, challengemaster here is 17 :pac: and has been driving a 320d for the last few years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Get Real

I don't think you'll get a quote I'm afraid.

I know it'd be a savage thing to be going around in man but I'd say you should just pass your test first and spend a year in a crappy 1.0 or something.

Then you might get insured on it, plus you'd have your full :cool:

I'm not sure why image is your main concern right now.

It would seem great, but even if you managed to get insured on that car, do you want to be driving around in that with L plates. Hope you don't take my point offensively.

But mates/ other drivers will just see some lad who thinks he has a deadly car but is still going for a spin on his provisional.

There is an option available to you in that if you really cannot find anyone to quote you then you can go to the insurance ombudsman and they will find you a quote from somewhere (the first company to refuse you I think). Insurance is a legal requirement in Ireland and as such you have to have access to it. That said, there is nothing to say that the quote you will be given will be reasonable, so if you go down this route expect to be quoted something in the region of €5k+ (the + could be quite a bit more).

• Registered Users Posts: 22,258 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I call BS.

Does type of thread not pop up regularly? Always with a brand new OP.

Anyway. I'm a foetus. If recently acquired a Lamborghini Murcialago in a bullfight. Does anybody know where I can get free petrol?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Aviva are doing a thing at the moment offering 6 months accompanied driving cover if you buy 10 driving lessons. Could look into that. Probably laugh at you when you tell them what car it is but worth a try.

http://www.aviva.ie/online/driving/driving-school/

Endalc if you think I'm talking BS fair play to you don't have to explain myself if you don't like it go onto another thread ...

To be honest I'll take the hit on a 1L was just hoping I could skip the BS and get to it ...,

Did consider test but only got provisional last month and have to wait 6 months...

Cheers to everyone that helped (Y)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

With that said, challengemaster here is 17 :pac: and has been driving a 320d for the last few years

17+6 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

17+6 :pac:

I meant to say you look 17 :P

OP - is it an E46, E90, or E92 320d or are you just someone from an insurance company doing a bit of market research?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Aviva are doing a thing at the moment offering 6 months accompanied driving cover if you buy 10 driving lessons. Could look into that. Probably laugh at you when you tell them what car it is but worth a try.

http://www.aviva.ie/online/driving/driving-school/

Aviva used to have a 1.4 limit on learners iirc.

E46 model ...

I don't have enough to splash out on a E90 ... Maybe one day :P

Had a lovely one lined up for 3.2k but I'll have to let it pass. Have 5k savings and I can get more of bank if I need...

Any ideas for a good 1.2? No point saying a 1L I'll just end up with a micra with a dump valve hahaha

Looking at mitsy colt but heard I'll have to put my wages into it

Or a bora any word on them ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

No most Volkswagen/Audi cars are similar, albeit not as bad in premiums as the likes of a 320d. The insurance quotes are going to be mad high. Best bet, as suggested, is to get a pile of ****e, get insured on it, pass your test and get a NCB of even a year built up. Then go and look for BMW's or whatever you are into. I know it's not the way you want to do things and you won't look class going around in a micra for example, but just suffer it for a year or two. You will have the rest of your life to have your pick of cars! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

No most Volkswagen/Audi cars are similar, albeit not as bad in premiums as the likes of a 320d. The insurance quotes are going to be mad high. Best bet, as suggested, is to get a pile of ****e, get insured on it, pass your test and get a NCB of even a year built up. Then go and look for BMW's or whatever you are into. I know it's not the way you want to do things and you won't look class going around in a micra for example, but just suffer it for a year or two. You will have the rest of your life to have your pick of cars! :)

Yep pretty much! i started off with a 1.4 car, done me fine, loved it, drove it for 2 years, got a 2.3 turbo now and im 23, I was the same at your age, I seen lads my age now driving bmws and what not and thought I can do that, all i have to do it is this this and this and ill have it, not as easy as that I'm afraid!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I think we should just have a sticky on the motors forum to quell threads like this :

Under 21 or on a provisional , You wont be getting any reasonable insurance quotes, if any quote at all on a rwd , jap import, modified or sports/coupe car, also all VAG diesel saloons are now out too.

Chance boxymo

And just remember being the main driver on a car that your insured as a named driver on is called fronting and illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,102 ✭✭✭✭unkel

to get what I've always wanted.. A BMW 320d

You've always wanted to own a 4 cylinder diesel BMW? :)

Drive a 1l car for a few years, build up your no claims bonus and set your goal higher. A straight six petrol BMW is a massive step up from that diesel! And with 4 or 5 years of NCB you can probably get a reasonable insurance quote on it too.

Or a bora any word on them ?

This generations Civic!

General rule of thumb is that you are not likely to get a reasonable quote on the kind of car that you actually want to drive at your age! Sad fact of motoring life in Ireland. Best thing you can do is make up a list of realistic cars and ring around to see what figures you are getting. But dont be surprised if you find yourself a long way down your preference list before you start getting the kind of quotes you are willing to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Start out in something small. Everyone had to. Bite the bullet and buy some crappy car.
    I had a focus as my first machine, I now have a 530d and am looking at a 540i once the mileage drops off.
    If you have your provisional a month then you really aren't ready for 140bhp rwd on the road.
    Unless you started out racing when young or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I think we should just have a sticky on the motors forum to quell threads like this :

Under 21 or on a provisional , You wont be getting any reasonable insurance quotes, if any quote at all on a rwd , jap import, modified or sports/coupe car, also all VAG diesel saloons are now out too.

Chance boxymo

And just remember being the main driver on a car that your insured as a named driver on is called fronting and illegal.

To be fair, he also only has his provisional 1 month so technically is only legally allowed drive 1 month and of course he would need someone with a full licence in the car with him for the next 5 months.

Also I don't think he understands that when you first start driving the cost of the car is minuscule when compared to tax/insurance/running costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Don't look for anything fancy OP; It's really simple: when you think about a car, ask yourself: do boy racers like this car? If the answer is yes, you won't be able to get insured on it.

Also, anything with the words "Super", "Sport", "GT", "Turbo" et cetera in the name on the registration certificate will have insurance companies screaming bloody murder - I know from experience.

The likes of a 1000 euro Punto or Clio 1.2 will serve you well for a couple of years - fairly mature projects with simple and straightforward mechanical arrangements (read: cheap and easy to run, service and fix should something go wrong). An old model Ford Fiesta might be an even cheaper choice, as the older engines do not have a cambelt to service.

Of these small cars, the Punto is most likely the least "old-ladyish"; The 1.2 16v in particular is fairly punchy for the engine size (it has 80 HP) - but check for insurance on these, as again the insurance companies might play on the "16v" thing and claim it's a...performance car!

unkel wrote: »
    You've always wanted to own a 4 cylinder diesel BMW? :)

Drive a 1l car for a few years, build up your no claims bonus and set your goal higher. A straight six petrol BMW is a massive step up from that diesel! And with 4 or 5 years of NCB you can probably get a reasonable insurance quote on it too.

Well a 320d wouldn't be my first choice but I thought going higher would be a big no no at my age haha I'd just upgrade later... I'm a bit naive haha

• Advertisement

YbFocus wrote: »
    Start out in something small. Everyone had to. Bite the bullet and buy some crappy car.
    I had a focus as my first machine, I now have a 530d and am looking at a 540i once the mileage drops off.
    If you have your provisional a month then you really aren't ready for 140bhp rwd on the road.
    Unless you started out racing when young or something.

My Family has land been driving ***t box's around the last 4 years so I wouldn't worry about handling a car of that horsepower

Advertisement