Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.22 pistol

Options
  • 24-08-2014 4:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭

hello. i am a hunter but ive been thinking about getting into the targets. i have a licence for a .22, a .410 and a .223. ive also previously held a licence in 12g.

im living in the carlow area, i know of atlantic shooting and fishing, but is there anywhere online i could look at pistols for sale ? i think i would like a revolver, but ive only seen "newer" style pistols with detachable mags. is owening a .22 revolver a no no ?

i believe i have all the nessicarry things in place, except for membership in range.

thanks for any input you have.

jay.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Welcome to the forum.
    jaysblades wrote: »
    but is there anywhere online i could look at pistols for sale ?
    List of firearms dealers.
    i think i would like a revolver, but ive only seen "newer" style pistols with detachable mags. is owening a .22 revolver a no no ?
    Anything over 5 shot is restricted and cannot be licensed. So it must be a 5 (or fewer) shot, .22lr pistol. You can look at air pistols too, but the same restrictions apply.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Take a trip over to harbour house range next Saturday in Athy . Gunshop.ie are there and Paddy or Feank will be able to advise you in anything you need to know

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Something wrong with the above reply?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Cass wrote: »
    Something wrong with the above reply?

Not a bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭jaysblades

Thanks for the replies lads, is there such a thing as a 5 shot revolver in .22 ? The lowest ive found is 6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

jaysblades wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies lads, is there such a thing as a 5 shot revolver in .22 ? The lowest ive found is 6

You will have to get a gunsmith to block one of the chambers to make the revolver 'legal'. Stupid law but that's where we are.

I wouldn't recommend a revolver. You will be limited when it comes to competitions.

A semi auto allows you to enter more competitions.

Like Homerhop says, take a trip up to HH and check out the place. There are usually 2 gundealers there most Saturdays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭jaysblades

Oh, thanks. To be honest i just like the old style of the revolvers, i just want the enjoyment of plinking at targets, rather than comps. I think id just get more satisfaction and enjoyment from a revolver, that make sense? My other guns are "old style" as well. Well, not .223 but id say ill drop it when licence is due.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

I think Paddy at the Alamo gun shop in Kerry has a Revolver in .22 that looks like the Cowboy action type might be what your looking for, he also has Smith and Wesson revolvers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,518 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Pat Cooke in Hilltop has a Webley Mark IV in .22lr if that would interest you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Cass wrote: »
    Anything over 5 shot is restricted and cannot be licensed. So it must be a 5 (or fewer) shot, .22lr pistol. You can look at air pistols too, but the same restrictions apply.

I just saw this and hope it's OK resurrecting this thread. I was looking for a Webley Mk IV in .22lr but am wondering if a 6 shot while restricted could be applied for on a restricted license? Or is it just not possible at all? All the Webley's I saw had 6 chambers and it would be a damn shame to have to permanently block one chamber.

• Advertisement

Preusse wrote: »
    I just saw this and hope it's OK resurrecting this thread. I was looking for a Webley Mk IV in .22lr but am wondering if a 6 shot while restricted could be applied for on a restricted license? Or is it just not possible at all? All the Webley's I saw had 6 chambers and it would be a damn shame to have to permanently block one chamber.

Yep, it would be a shame to block one chamber but that's the dumbass law that we are stuck with.

The Gardai aren't allowed to give out new restricted licences for short firearms anymore. If they did give you a licence, it wouldn't be worth the paper it's printed on. It would be invalid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Yep, it would be a shame to block one chamber but that's the dumbass law that we are stuck with.

The Gardai aren't allowed to give out new restricted licences for short firearms anymore. If they did give you a licence, it wouldn't be worth the paper it's printed on. It would be invalid.

Thanks. That's mad just for one extra chamber. I'd rather stick with what I have then and not bother with a 5 chambered Webley unless there is a possibility of making the chamber block in such a way that a gunsmith can reverse it without damage if (ha) they allow restricted licenses again in the future or, more likely, I have to move due to work to a country which permits a 6 chambered .22. In that case you would want to unblock that chamber again without any damage.

Preusse wrote: »
    Thanks. That's mad just for one extra chamber. I'd rather stick with what I have then and not bother with a 5 chambered Webley unless there is a possibility of making the chamber block in such a way that a gunsmith can reverse it without damage if (ha) they allow restricted licenses again in the future or, more likely, I have to move due to work to a country which permits a 6 chambered .22. In that case you would want to unblock that chamber again without any damage.

I agree with you. In a handgun, 5 rounds = safe. 6 rounds = highly illegal. Absolutely stupid rule.

And to make matters worse, a lot of competitions are shot in strings of 6. Good luck doing that with a revolver with 5 chambers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I agree with you. In a handgun, 5 rounds = safe. 6 rounds = highly illegal. Absolutely stupid rule.

And to make matters worse, a lot of competitions are shot in strings of 6. Good luck doing that with a revolver with 5 chambers.

This is the stupidity of the whole mess. The only reason you can have a pistol is for target shooting. So you're granted the license and then find out you can't enter competitions as you're restricted to 5 shots.

I'm not going to say what everyone knows.

Advertisement