Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much of an impact do supplements have

Options
  • 22-08-2014 10:15pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering since theres supplements these days for everything under the sun, do most supplements give you a clear cut advantage over someone not using them or is it just a meager difference ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

No. Supplements are there to help out where your diet is lacking. If you're looking for a serious advantage then you're talking pharmaceuticals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

mostly no difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Unless training at an elite level to help aid recovery, then not much.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,180 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I personally think that the multi-billion pound supplement market is a bit of a scam.
    Do they really improve people's health? If at all, probably nothing compared to eating well.

Fall into the same category as those yoghurts etc with their billions of good bacteria, which they fail to tell you die in your stomach acid.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

Creatine and caffeine confer a slight but statistically significant increase in performance in certain areas. Apart from that there's not a whole lot of evidence to show that much of the other unrestricted stuff does a whole heap, though a select few chemicals show a degree of promise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

An advantage can be hard to quantify.

At elite level many do use supplements to aid recovery and get the most from their training.

Convenience is a big factor - yes you can get protein and carbs from whole food sources but to drink them from time to time is more logical.

Therefore there is an advantage to supplementing.

Is it a scam? Once again hard to quantify - what exactly does scam mean?

For the most part the answer is no.

Yes things may not always be as per the label but no industry is above this as can be seen from the recent meat issues.

Meeting or matching expectations? If there is too much hype can a product live up to it? Who generated the hype? The company or online users?

You take supplements to supplement and they are not a substitute for a varied, balanced diet and a healthy active lifestyle.

In the case of protein it can be more cost effective to get additional protein from a tub rather than whole food sources - sad but true.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

Id have to say convenience is themain reason i use Protein supplements.After a hard slog in the gym the last thing I want to do is prepare a meal.i take the shake first to quell any hunger and then after a little rest prepare the meal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Legit physiological non placebo based effects? Probably < 3% of an effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

For me - Fish Oil, multivitamin, Creatine, Protein, Zinc/Mag, Glucosamine, BCAA - can all have worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Omega 3 should be taken

Vitamin D3 should be taken, since we live in Ireland

Whey is handy to have

I take the above

My parents are made take the below along with the d3 and omega 3

Curcumin is a good anti-inflam with huge cancer fighting properties

Vit K2 helps shuttle calcium into bones instead of accumulating in different parts of the body such as arteries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Big Davey

MaceFace wrote: »
    For me - Fish Oil, multivitamin, Creatine, Protein, Zinc/Mag, Glucosamine, BCAA - can all have worth.

Are all the products you mention sold individually ? Also what is BCAA ? I took creatine for a while but felt it affected my mood a bit. I am thinking of taking "no explode" what do you think of it ?
    I am starting back training and want to ad to the berocca that I am taking so this thread is very interesting.
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Big Davey wrote: »
    I took creatine for a while but felt it affected my mood a bit.

It did in my hoop. If your mood altered it wasn't the creatine.

I definitely rate Beta Alanine long term for lactic buffering. Fish oils, glucosamine are useful. And I've recently started with zma in desperation to help with sleep. It seems to improve quality. Definitely more refreshed. But it has also helped with some hypertonic issues. Much win.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭evo2000

sound for replys lads, yeah i was thinking of gettin multi viatmins and omega 3 or would a multi vitamin do the job?
    The only thing i use at the moment is Optimum gold whey protein

What do ye reckon is the best whey?

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭top madra

evo2000 wrote: »

What do ye reckon is the best whey?

The one you can afford.

I would check out myprotein for their impact whey, just as good quality as the more expensive brands and there is a 15% discount code (groupie15)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,568 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

JJayoo wrote: »
    I would check out myprotein for their impact whey, just as good quality as the more expensive brands and there is a 15% discount code (groupie15)

Mate nearly blew most of the €75 voucher he had for Holland and Barrett on their protein.

My good deed was to send him to MyProtein and BulkPowders.

Alf: making things better by caring.

Mate nearly blew most of the €75 voucher he had for Holland and Barrett on their protein.

My good deed was to send him to MyProtein and BulkPowders.

Alf: making things better by caring.

A truely heartwarming story alf! haha Ill check out them places, optimum nutrition is doing the job but its 65 bucks! :/

A truely heartwarming story alf! haha Ill check out them places, optimum nutrition is doing the job but its 65 bucks! :/

I always went for ON whey, but mostly cos I got deals on them online.

But MyProtein and BulkPowders have been just as good at a fraction of the price.

Both at about €44 for 2.5kg of flavoured whey including delivery.

But in H+B he could have gotten 2400g for 159 euro.....

http://www.hollandandbarrett.ie/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=4006&prodid=5837&cid=47

What the **** lmao id say you d nearly need to take out a small mortgage to go shoppin there lol

• Advertisement

I have the same voucher courtesy of my heroic efforts last Sunday :)

So far I got some Omega 3 and Magnesium Citrate out of it. ZMA can such my balls.

I always went for ON whey, but mostly cos I got deals on them online.

But MyProtein and BulkPowders have been just as good at a fraction of the price.

Both at about €44 for 2.5kg of flavoured whey including delivery.

Yeah just having a root thru there site, they look good value! ill order a small tub first see how i get on with it, be grand to be saving almost 30 quid on protein tho! if its as good as ON

if its as good as ON

ON isn't made by an alchemist. It's all the same, by and large.

ON isn't made by an alchemist. It's all the same, by and large.

Ah yeah but quality wise i mean, ive seen some of my friends buy some cheap stuff and you could nearly plaster the house with it! or the bags of polish "protien" sugar 20 quid for 2.5 kg! you can buy at the local supp store.

Ah yeah but quality wise i mean, ive seen some of my friends buy some cheap stuff and you could nearly plaster the house with it! or the bags of polish "protien" sugar 20 quid for 2.5 kg! you can buy at the local supp store.

Buying ON is like spending £25 mullion on Adam Lallana when Toni Kroos was available for £20 million.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

That can't be right?

All the Maximuscle stuff seems to be a ridiculous price but that's ridiculous^2

I definitely rate Beta Alanine long term for lactic buffering. Fish oils, glucosamine are useful. And I've recently started with zma in desperation to help with sleep. It seems to improve quality. Definitely more refreshed. But it has also helped with some hypertonic issues. Much win.
    Coffee can alter people's moods correct ? So why not creatine ? Stick that in your hoop pal.

Read this hoopy it's the first thing I found on Google the inter web is full of it.
    http://www.creatine-monohydrate.org/creatine-and-anger.htm

• Advertisement

Big Davey wrote: »
    the inter web is full of it.

This is true, at least.

Advertisement