Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The big Phil Fish, Zoe Quinn and Anita Sarkeesian discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

gizmo wrote: »
    That being said, attributing its creation to the wider "Anti-GG side" is about as inaccurate as attributing the latest Anti-SJW blocklist, which uses a similar criteria and currently numbers over 45,000 users, to the "Pro-GG side".

Well, no its not all of them on either side, but its enough idiots to taint both sides at this point. There are far to many unreasonable people involved on both sides at this point, for there to be anything useful to come out of this, and gamergate pro and anti are far to toxic at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Evac101

In work so not a lot of time but if someone can't find evidence of GG supporters being harassed or doxed then they're not actually looking - result #3 from my badly worded google search "anti gamergate harassment". I imagine there are better search terms and that bothering to check more then the first three results would result in more "evidence" (in the respect that none of this is proven really - it's all on the internet).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭Evade

It was automated, hence the appearance of some "odd" entries on the list in the first place. He would also have been listed by his Twitter handle, not his real name, which wouldn't have helped matters. Still, endorsing something you haven't completely vetted was incredibly unwise on their part.
    It had their @ and the other name, which in his case was his real name, on the list so it would have been pretty easy to go through it and spot someone on the board of directors or KFC and realise something might be wrong with the list.
    wes wrote: »
    I take it you haven't been paying much attention then, Jian Ghomenshi who wrote anti-GG stuff is now being investigated for sexual assault.

As for Neo-Nazi sympathies, theres Ian Miles Chung, who blamed his own former pro-Nazi statements on a "toxic gaming community", as opposed to taking some personal responsibility. You can google for that crap if you like.

Then, there is the doxxing of youtubers Boogie2988 , Jayd3Fox, and the doxxing of the Fine Young Cataplists (you can google for that stuff, it was discussed earlier in the thread), and that just off the top of my head.

Then, there is the block list we are now discussing, which is just mass libel of a bunch of people, for daring to follow people on twitter.

Its more than fair to say both sides have awful elements that are as bad as one another. There is no winner in this, its just stupid, and no there is no high ground. Just a bunch of internet "activists" fighting the nonsense US culture wars.
    Don't forget Geordie Tait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Sigh, do both sides not get tired of having their phasers set to outrage. I'm predicting that out of the ashes of all this will come a romantic comedy where a gamergate guy and an anti-gg girl are working in an office and they start a twitter campaign against each other. Sparks fly at first but soon they fall in love not before a misunderstanding sees them falling out with each other but not before they realise how much they are in love. The final scene will see both sides have a dance off at the wedding before backslapping each other and joking around. Maybe Adam Baldwin and Felicia Day could star in it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Sigh, do both sides not get tired of having their phasers set to outrage.

You've seen the internet, right? :D

• Advertisement

Maybe Adam Baldwin and Felicia Day could star in it.

You managed to name two people I detest on most TV they appear in :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Well, no its not all of them on either side, but its enough idiots to taint both sides at this point. There are far to many unreasonable people involved on both sides at this point, for there to be anything useful to come out of this, and gamergate pro and anti are far to toxic at this point.
    Quite true! I guess the difference, from my own perspective at least, is that if you discount the extremists on both sides, you're still left with a pretty horrible core on the GG side of things, one which has been around since the beginning and continue to say and do some pretty horrible things. The presence and, more importantly, following of these people is partly why I hold the opinion that I do, as does the realisation that if you were to strip these people away you're not really left with much of a movement at all. By that I mean, what has actually been accomplished by any of this? Ethical breaches by Hernandez were discovered back in September, the Grayson issue wasn't really one in the first place and the mere existence of the GJP list proved nothing in and of itself. We did get some site policy updates regarding Patreon which was good, regardless of personal opinions on it, while other policies were made more visible. And yet, despite these fairly sparse events, three months later it's still going. :(
    Evade wrote: »
    It had their @ and the other name, which in his case was his real name, on the list so it would have been pretty easy to go through it and spot someone on the board of directors or KFC and realise something might be wrong with the list.
    So it does! My bad, I assumed the output format would be the same as the input black and white lists. That makes it even more unwise that they didn't verify its contents, regardless of the number of entries present.

The presence and, more importantly, following of these people is partly why I hold the opinion that I do, as does the realisation that if you were to strip these people away you're not really left with much of a movement at all.

Neither side would have a much of a movement, as its pretty much your with them or against them, regardless of which side there on.

Neither side would have a much of a movement, as its pretty much your with them or against them, regardless of which side there on.
    Yup, so much for reasonable debate. But hey, at least we have here! :)

*adds wes to the list*

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

So.... who actually blocked the Twitter people?
    I'm confused, was it just 1 side of the fence blocked the other side?
    Or did Twitter actually roll out sone code or what?

• Advertisement

Cormac... wrote: »

Its not Twitter, its some people writing some scripts, that I assume interact with the Twitter API, to block people on whatever arbitrary reason they have chosen, so they can tweet in an echo chamber. Both sides apparently have these block lists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Cormac... wrote: »

Someone created it themselves, both sides are using it so that everyone is safe from an opposing view.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

But when is the murder pit beginning?
    Will i dip out of the thread for another week?
    Surely when I return they'll finally be kicking $h!t€ out of each other.
    I mean, if they have the energy to keep this whole thing going this long they need to expect it :o
    Twitter Black/Block lists.... FFS.... Jesus wept

Evac101 wrote: »
    You managed to name two people I detest on most TV they appear in :D

But over time, your walls will be broken down and in the end you'll find yourself laughing to yourself thinking about their little quirks and then you realize that you can't live without them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Guyanachronism

I take it you haven't been paying much attention then, Jian Ghomenshi who wrote anti-GG stuff is now being investigated for sexual assault.

As for Neo-Nazi sympathies, theres Ian Miles Chung, who blamed his own former pro-Nazi statements on a "toxic gaming community", as opposed to taking some personal responsibility. You can google for that crap if you like.

Then, there is the doxxing of youtubers Boogie2988 , Jayd3Fox, and the doxxing of the Fine Young Cataplists (you can google for that stuff, it was discussed earlier Ian in the thread), and that just off the top of my head.

Then, there is the block list we are now discussing, which is just mass libel of a bunch of people, for daring to follow people on twitter.

Its more than fair to say both sides have awful elements that are as bad as one another. There is no winner in this, its just stupid, and no there is no high ground. Just a bunch of internet "activists" fighting the nonsense US culture wars.

Well I was asking for specific links that documents this stuff and examples of influential figures with extreme view. That's a really good link although some of it is a bit contrived such as Bullying GaymerX.

I've been looking at We Hunted the Mammoth and GamerGhazi on Reddit.

The first one how does the investigation of sexual assault relate to criticism of GG? He's not trying to incorporate that into his crticism of GG. Unlike Jordan Owen and Paul Elam who are trying to bring their misogynist ideologies into GG. I also don't think he has previously expressed ugly opinions.

I only knew Ian Miles Chung from name in reference to his neo-nazi views. Again he's shunned now, banned from reddit and renounced those views unlike Davis Aurini. You also get the images of Sarkeeisan based on jewish propaganda from the Nazi period widely disseminated on 8chan etc.

Then the internet aristocrat is also a horrible misogynist he has broken from the movement for some reason but kicked a lot of it off with his initial video about Quinn.

If you think a non directly related crime is an example of extremism from critics then surely it should be mentioned that Milo Yiannopoulos is being sued for not paying contributors and staff of the Kernel. It doesn't justify doxxing or abuse but he doesn't seem to be a particularly pleasant person.

Obviously doxxing and abuse is wrong. But again I don't see the causal racism, homophobia etc. amongst the critics that I do amongst the GG crowd nor figures with influence that encourage that behaviour.

When Sarkeeisan, Quinn, Wu, Wheaton, Leigh Alexander etc. start spouting homophobic, transhobic and misogynist bile, and people celebrate them for it the n will I really consider both sides as bad as each other.

But for now I will condemn critics of GG who resort to nasty tactics as there is nastiness on both sides but GG remains an extremist movement.

I've been looking at We Hunted the Mammoth and GamerGhazi on Reddit.

Those guys are as bad as there pro-GG equivalents imho.
    The first one how does the investigation of sexual assault relate to criticism of GG? He's not trying to incorporate that into his crticism of GG. Unlike Jordan Owen and Paul Elam who are trying to bring their misogynist ideologies into GG. I also don't think he has previously expressed ugly opinions.

It points to the hypocrisy of some of GG critics, as quite a few them are no angels by any stretch.
    I only knew Ian Miles Chung from name in reference to his neo-nazi views. Again he's shunned now, banned from reddit and renounced those views unlike Davis Aurini.

He tried to blame the gaming community, it wasn't an apology. Also, gamergate has also mass reported people for some crap they pulled.
    You also get the images of Sarkeeisan based on jewish propaganda from the Nazi period widely disseminated on 8chan etc.

I never claimed that Gamergate weren't just as bad......., but seeing as you have the anti-gg side resorting to comparing gamergate to being worse than ISIS, Nazi, the KKK and other such childish nonsense.
    When Sarkeeisan, Quinn, Wu, Wheaton, Leigh Alexander etc. start spouting homophobic, transhobic and misogynist bile, and people celebrate them for it the n will I really consider both sides as bad as each other.

Anti-GG is far bigger than just them....
    But for now I will condemn critics of GG who resort to nasty tactics as there is nastiness on both sides but GG remains an extremist movement.

There is enough bile recounted on these pages from both sides at this point. You list a lot of nasty stuff gamergate has done, well I never defended them, I stand by my statement, there as bad as one another. Nasty crap all round, and I see no reason to give Anti-GG a pass.

What I would add to wes's comment Guy is that, at this point, neither side seems interested in dialogue, both seem to be entrenched in the "us versus them" narrative which they've created for themselves and anyone attempting to bridge that (from either side) is almost instantaneously pilloried by their compatriots. The fact is that neither side will win here - it'll either peter out, with occasional flare ups on message boards into the future, or it will continue to split people who should be old and wise enough to come to an understanding/compromise/evolve beyond this. As most of the commentators have said here, and in many other places, some of what both sides say is sane and reasonable, some isn't and until both sides recognise that sometimes groups you disagree (broadly) with can still have valid points to make it'll continue to be deadlocked.

I think you need to stick both sides in a room with a bag of MDMA and they'll sort themselves out in no time. Work wonders for English football hooligans back in the early 90s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Guyanachronism

Those guys are as bad as there pro-GG equivalents imho.

How is We Hunted the Mammoth and GamerGhazi as bad?
    It points to the hypocrisy of some of GG critics, as quite a few them are no angels by any stretch.

It wasn't my point though, "no angels" isn't the same as holding extremist views. Saying that a couple of the critics are "no angels" doesn't justify homophobia, misogyny and racism.
    He tried to blame the gaming community, it wasn't an apology. Also, gamergate has also mass reported people for some crap they pulled.
    I don't really care, it seems he's been punished and shunned for his behaviour not championed and I don't get your second point? Can you be specific please?
    I never claimed that Gamergate weren't just as bad......., but seeing as you have the anti-gg side resorting to comparing gamergate to being worse than ISIS, Nazi, the KKK and other such childish nonsense.
    I have not compared them to the Nazis, I pointed out supporters of GG who hold neo-nazi views. I also never compared them to KKK or ISIS.
    Anti-GG is far bigger than just them . . .
    Who else do you want to count for your convenience? We can link nasty twitter comments from nobodies all day, but it's surely the behaviour of influential people that matter.
    There is enough bile recounted on these pages from both sides at this point. You list a lot of nasty stuff gamergate has done, well I never defended them, I stand by my statement, there as bad as one another. Nasty crap all round, and I see no reason to give Anti-GG a pass.
    That's the point of clash, while I think there has been nastiness on both sides, I've argued that GG is an extremist/hate movement so I am not going to step back from the debate and say both sides are as bad as each other, when I clearly see extremism in GG that's harmful and needs to be challenged.

I feel the sads that I used the word narrative in the context I did - I wish I hadn't and that it still meant something in a book for me :(

• Advertisement

It wasn't my point though, "no angels" isn't the same as holding extremist views. Saying that a couple of the critics are "no angels" doesn't justify homophobia, misogyny and racism.

The way you frame that statement is unfortunate as it appears that you blanket dismiss anyone who is on the other side of the divide as being homophobic, misogynistic and/or racist. An oversight I'm sure.
    I have not compared them to the Nazis, I pointed out supporters of GG who hold neo-nazi views. I also never compared them to KKK or ISIS.

Unfortunately not all OpGamerGate/AntiGamerGate people have been as restrained as you - the poster was referring to people who have described Gamergate supporters (in a blanket sense) as Nazi's, the KKK and ISIS (the last by a gentleman who is also known for fat shaming Francis and then saying "Hey, I used to be fat, I've lost weight and being fat is shaming").
    Who else do you want to count for your convenience? We can link nasty twitter comments from nobodies all day, but it's surely the behaviour of influential people that matter.

The people quoted above (without including the retweets/favouriting and referencing of their views by others) are all reasonably placed within the movement against the Gamergate whatever-it-is and the latter two are well known within the gaming sphere. That said you only have my word for that so feel feel to do searches on google for 'gamergate XXX' inserting whichever terms you wish to research.
    That's the point of clash, while I think there has been nastiness on both sides, I've argued that GG is an extremist/hate movement so I am not going to step back from the debate and say both sides are as bad as each other, when I clearly see extremism in GG that's harmful and needs to be challenged.

Would you at least be willing to say that both sides have elements which should be ejected if they don't want bystanders (like myself ish) to see both as being inclusive of some horrible behaviour?

PS
    The legitimacy of any movement that uses the KKK/ISIS/Nazi's as a description of it's opposition when numerous murders and systemic, long term oppression have occurred to reinforce the terrible regimes referenced seems questionable. This applies equally to both sides once again, unfortunately.

How is We Hunted the Mammoth and GamerGhazi as bad?

Have you not read them?

No one tried to justify homophobia, racism or misogyny. Saying both are as bad as one another is the opposite of justification for either of them, and your being silly to even suggest that at all.
    I don't really care, it seems he's been punished and shunned for his behaviour not championed and I don't get your second point? Can you be specific please?

And some GG people have mas reported people for harassment. Again, there elements in both sides that aren't completely nuts.

I never said that you did, but that GG has been compared to the KKK (some going as far as saying there worse :rolleyes:).

You mean like Zoey Quinn's PR person doxxing someone? You mean something like that. Again, Pro-GG, is far bigger than the people you listed, and I see no reason to go through the list of the various childish antics from the likes of Gawker media etc that have been detailed on these pages already.

GG is a bloody hash tag, to say its an extremist movement is an abuse of the word, and again show just how absurd Anti-GG can be. Its kind of talk that is the problem, when you have pro-GG harping on about SJW fascists trying to stifle free speech on the other end.

Sorry, but both sides, when they say this stuff, sound completely deranged and out of touch.

Both sides have been harmful, what with all the doxxing and other crap there pulling. There more like children then extremists and facists.

And some GG people have mas reported people for harassment. Again, there elements in both sides that aren't completely nuts.
    To the best of my knowledge neither Yiannopoulos, Cernovich, Roguestar, RalphRetort nor Internet Aristocrat have been mass reported by the GG movement for their behavior. On the contrary, they've been excused, defended and used as a source for news, comments and advice across a variety of issues that have come up. As I said before, ignore the lunatic fringe on both sides and look at what you're left with.

Of course it's perfectly reasonable, in the context of this discussion at least, to dismiss them as fringe extremists too but when you examine the broad support they have, what does that say about the movement in general? Don't get me wrong, I share your desire to see this whole thing just go away, it's just that when the dust settles I believe it would be entirely disingenuous to say both sides, in their totality, were as bad as the other.

To the best of my knowledge neither Yiannopoulos, Cernovich, Roguestar, RalphRetort nor Internet Aristocrat have been mass reported by the GG movement for their behavior. On the contrary, they've been excused, defended and used as a source for news, comments and advice across a variety of issues that have come up. As I said before, ignore the lunatic fringe on both sides and look at what you're left with.

I know they haven't but my point is that they have mass reported some of the more obvious crazies, as a counter point.
    Of course it's perfectly reasonable, in the context of this discussion at least, to dismiss them as fringe extremists too but when you examine the broad support they have, what does that say about the movement in general? Don't get me wrong, I share your desire to see this whole thing just go away, it's just that when the dust settles I believe it would be entirely disingenuous to say both sides, in their totality, were as bad as the other.

I don't like those people, but until the people you named start murdering people, referring to them as being extreme is imho an abuse of the term.

I know they haven't but my point is that they have mass reported some of the more obvious crazies, as a counter point.
    Which is totally valid. Why are we even discussing these people on either side though, surely it's a total waste of time since no one even approaching a moderate position, regardless of which side that falls on, agree with them?
    I don't like those people, but until the people you named start murdering people, referring to them as being extreme is imho an abuse of the term.
    That paragraph was more for your benefit in case you actually did consider the aforementioned people to be along the same lines as those whose behavior has been called out by GG supporters. I'm using the term in the context of an internet-based movement though, I'll happily use whatever term you wish to differentiate the reasonable people from the completely unreasonable ones. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,006 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I really am baffled what the hell the pro gamergate side are actually fighting for. Ethics in games journalism? What a load of arse. I mean basing your games buying decisions on the views and reviews of IGN or Giant Bomb is like basing your movie choices on the opinions of the Daily Mail. If you don't know any better then you only have yourself to blame. Then they go after people like Jen Frank and Jeremy Parish who when it comes to ethics in videogame journalism really are not the people to be going after. I can't help but feel it's absolute nonsense.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

What on earth gives you the idea this is really about games? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

As I've already said this is all about twitter.

It has always been about twitter.

if you dont use twitter then none of this effects you.

And frankly you shouldnt be using twitter as clearly demonstrated by all this nonsense twitter is bullsh*t.

yes we have a few echo chambers here and there in the way of subreddits, 8chan (the frankly f*cking awful) ralph retort and zen of design.

but they are echo chambers, they are the equivalent of the stormfront forums.

All the nasty crap goes down on twitter and the move now to both sides trying to create echo chambers on twitter confirms that this whole fight has been about twitter from the get go.

And I dont mean the beginning of gamergate, I mean this all american culture wars bullsh*t is pretty much a fight over twitter online cause twitter is seen as some holy grail of open forum. And now it's in it's messy death throes as someone has gone all mutually assured destruction and has started building walls in twitter. They are destroying what they were fighting over

Good

it's f*cking over let them all build their little walls and stay away from each other. noisy brats the lot of them.

Twitter is bullsh*t.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I disagree that twitter is bullsh*t .... The offense brigade want to turn it into Tumblr and other side want to be free to be as rude as they see fit. That, that's bullsh*t but the platform itself is neutral and if you use it right, is terrific.

Tbh, I've stayed away from following any of these people and my timeline is nice and informative about lots of topics. Its a matter of what you make of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jimbob_jones

At this stage I don't know if I should just go through my follow list like a dose of salts and get back to where I was before I had even heard of this whole debacle or just stay away from Twitter entirely.

I really thought when the indie games scene started to pick up that the game industry was starting to come full circle for want of a better term and just hark back to the days of the Spectrum and Commodore when folks were cranking out games from the bedroom. Just the old rose tinted glasses I suspect

I was looking at a penny-arcade cartoon from 2004 and it just seems a bit apt... http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/02/16

I suppose the old quote rings true as well.. A wise men told me never argue with fools, because people from a distance can't tell who is who

Advertisement