Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xiaomi Mi3 Owners Thread - tips, tricks, updates and everything eles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Never going to be happy with this. Turned on true dual boot mode, which completely wiped the memory, including my backups :( Which I can't recover as windows doesn't assign it a drive letter. So now I'm heading for Cyanogenmod :pac: I'm a disaster with this stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Never going to be happy with this. Turned on true dual boot mode, which completely wiped the memory, including my backups :( Which I can't recover as windows doesn't assign it a drive letter. So now I'm heading for Cyanogenmod :pac: I'm a disaster with this stuff

Yeah, I've had a few hair raising moments like that. The only way to be sure is to copy backups to an external location before commencing mickeying about with new ROMs and the like. Let us know how you get on with Cyanogemod on it.

corwill wrote: »
    Yeah, I've had a few hair raising moments like that. The only way to be sure is to copy backups to an external location before commencing mickeying about with new ROMs and the like. Let us know how you get on with Cyanogemod on it.

Turning off True Dual Boot gave me back my old filesystem. This phone is scary and confusing.

I can only find my backups using the ClockworkMod app and restoring directly from there, so I'm going to backup all my stuff and dual boot Cyanogen and AOSP! I'll post a review if it happens

*EDIT* For anyone who runs into a similar issue, backups are stored locally in
    /data/media/clockwordmod/backup/
    Starting at root

They have to be copied to the emulated SD Card at /sdcard to backup to a PC

CyanogenMod 11 is a disaster. Reboots in my pocket 5-6 times a day, very buggy, freezes quite often. Battery life is relatively poor, getting a full day from 8-10 on medium usage. Its hard to judge because of the reboots, and the fact its in Deep Sleep for 7 hours when I'm at school and then it's being used for 6 straight afterwards. Reboots only take about 30 seconds so its not a major inconvenience but obviously would be for some people

CM12 is worse again, except this time it takes about 8 minutes to boot and you could cook an egg on the screen, bluetooth and NFC don't work as of yet.
    Its god damn beautiful though, I'll probably test it out again when it becomes more stable.
    Obviously not CM's fault but as CM12 is 5.0.1 it doesn't support the Xposed Framework.

When it works, its great, I much prefer it to AOSP. The problem is it just doesn't.

So I think I'm reinstalling AOSP now, the phone doesn't pick up my backups correctly anymore but I might keep MiUi now anyways if its MiUi6.

Recommendation: Try CM11 if you wish, hopefully you won't hit the rebooting errors I did, leave CM12 until it becomes more stable.

The shared system dual boot also seems to be for 2 versions of the same OS, e.g MiUi5 and MiUi6 worked, but a combonation of CM, AOSP and MiUi led to bootloops on whichever OS was booted second. E.G If I booted CM11 and returned to CWM Recovery, then AOSP would bootloop, and vice versa

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭,mnb

I love the phone have it 3 months now. Yesterday, when went to charge it, had difficulty connecting charger to the phone smoothly. Eventually got it to connect smoothly but it is not taking the charge. No red light in top right corner. It seems to be a hardware problem, possible the charging area damaged from my fiddling/initially trying to put the charger in upside down when it didnt connect the right way.
    What can I do. I bought it on ebay from Hong Kong. Is there a shop in Dublin that would repair?
    really want to get it back up and running.

• Advertisement

,mnb wrote: »
    I love the phone have it 3 months now. Yesterday, when went to charge it, had difficulty connecting charger to the phone smoothly. Eventually got it to connect smoothly but it is not taking the charge. No red light in top right corner. It seems to be a hardware problem, possible the charging area damaged from my fiddling/initially trying to put the charger in upside down when it didnt connect the right way.
    What can I do. I bought it on ebay from Hong Kong. Is there a shop in Dublin that would repair?

You've probably tried this already, but have you tried charging with a cable other than the one that came with the phone? I found that the cable I got with mine gave up the ghost after not a whole lot of use.

If it's the socket on the phone, that might not be that big a job for one of the places around town. I don't have a recommendation for you, I've been lucky enough with my phones to date not to need a repair, but someone on the board will be able to point in the direction of someone decent. I found Back From The Future on Aungier Street good for a couple of laptop repairs down the years, and I know they do iPhones, but if they won't do it, they might refer you on.

CyanogenMod 11 is a disaster. Reboots in my pocket 5-6 times a day, very buggy, freezes quite often. Battery life is relatively poor, getting a full day from 8-10 on medium usage. Its hard to judge because of the reboots, and the fact its in Deep Sleep for 7 hours when I'm at school and then it's being used for 6 straight afterwards. Reboots only take about 30 seconds so its not a major inconvenience but obviously would be for some people

CM12 is worse again, except this time it takes about 8 minutes to boot and you could cook an egg on the screen, bluetooth and NFC don't work as of yet.
    Its god damn beautiful though, I'll probably test it out again when it becomes more stable.
    Obviously not CM's fault but as CM12 is 5.0.1 it doesn't support the Xposed Framework.

When it works, its great, I much prefer it to AOSP. The problem is it just doesn't.

So I think I'm reinstalling AOSP now, the phone doesn't pick up my backups correctly anymore but I might keep MiUi now anyways if its MiUi6.

Recommendation: Try CM11 if you wish, hopefully you won't hit the rebooting errors I did, leave CM12 until it becomes more stable.

The shared system dual boot also seems to be for 2 versions of the same OS, e.g MiUi5 and MiUi6 worked, but a combonation of CM, AOSP and MiUi led to bootloops on whichever OS was booted second. E.G If I booted CM11 and returned to CWM Recovery, then AOSP would bootloop, and vice versa

Until devs get their hands on the kernel, the likes of those unofficial CM ports are going be fairly flaky. You're probably on AOSP already, so you'll have made up your on mind on it, but I've found it very stable.

True Dual Boot just doesn't like non-MiUi ROMs. I think it was just intended to allow MiUi devs to run 2 versions of MiUi, and that's it. I know AOSP worked much, much better after I went back to single boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭unaaine

,mnb wrote: »

If it's not the cable, try Alex in PhoneWizz (0871223112) on Moore Street - Henry St. end. I find him really good he's repaired a few phones for me over the years and as far as I know he replaced the screen on a Mi3 for someone here in the not too distant past. He's definitely familiar with Xiaomi phones.

electronicrepair.ie in galway fixed the SIM slot in mine, so they'd take a look anyways

I've decided to let my Mi3 64gb go, not without regret, a great bit of kit - http://www.adverts.ie/7339074

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭k123456

Noob Question, just purchased Mi3

Installed play store, google plus gmail etc

Sim inserted

However I store all my contacts under Google not Sim, cant see my Google contacts

I have gone into Contacts, settings, can see only
    Viber
    Mi Ac
    Sim card

but not Google ?

About phone, : 4.4.4 ktu84p
    Miui 6210

How do I add my google contacts , please

Go into the contacts settings, and you should be able to find a setting for contacts to display, and you need to tick your google account there.

That's how it was on android 4.2 so hopefully it hasn't changed much :(

Go into the contacts settings, and you should be able to find a setting for contacts to display, and you need to tick your google account there.

That's how it was on android 4.2 so hopefully it hasn't changed much :(

Hi Tried that but cant see option to display or add google contacts

I see
    settings
    contacts
    contacts to display, only, Viber, Mi and Sim

No google ?

k123456 wrote: »
    Hi Tried that but cant see option to display or add google contacts

I see
    settings
    contacts
    contacts to display, only, Viber, Mi and Sim

No google ?

Go to the phones settings, accounts, google, and then click the email address the contacts are linked to, and make sure that 'Contacts' is ticked

Ivan's AOSP is now on Lollipop by the way for anyone wondering. The 5.0.2 version has no random reboots and seems okay for heat and battery life so far.

Xposed doesn't work for me but it does for others so it's pot luck from what I can tell

Hi Digital Solitude
    I go to settings
    accounts

Under acs

I see Mi Ac
    ALL
    Add
    and Sync (under Sync , sync is ON)

When i click on all I see Google, (black G icon)
    and Viber

When i click on Google, I see my gmail id
    and then these are all on (ie orange ticK)
    App
    Gmail
    Google +
    Google + photos
    Google + uploads
    People Details

And does your Gmail for example, Sync as it should?

Are you using MiUi?

And does your Gmail for example, Sync as it should?

Are you using MiUi?

Hi Gmail does sync, and using Miui

Hi Gmail does sync, and using Miui

Maybe try deleting your Google account from the phone and then re-registering it. After that I haven't a clue

Maybe try deleting your Google account from the phone and then re-registering it. After that I haven't a clue

Ok will try that, Thanks

• Advertisement

Hi Can't get Google contacts to display with Mini.. Could someone please point me in the direction of an Stock Android Rom. Need one that's stable, fast, good battery and GPS performance.

Thanks

Hi Can't get Google contacts to display with Mini.. Could someone please point me in the direction of an Stock Android Rom. Need one that's stable, fast, good battery and GPS performance.

Thanks

http://forum.xda-developers.com/xiaomi-mi-3/development/lollipop-5-0-aosp-mi3w-ivan-t2967234

Lollipop ROM, dunno about the GPS as I don't use it, but I find it faultless

http://forum.xda-developers.com/xiaomi-mi-3/development/lollipop-5-0-aosp-mi3w-ivan-t2967234

Lollipop ROM, dunno about the GPS as I don't use it, but I find it faultless

The same guy's KitKat ROM is spot on as well, found that GPS was grand with it.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/xiaomi-mi-3/general/aosp-rom-leaked-t2876646/page142

Google Camera isn't as good as the MiUi camera app, though.

Thanks

It's just bizaare that you can no longer sync Google contacts to the stock contacts app on MiUi, so much so that it has to be intentional on xiaomi's part.

But if that's the only issue you're having with MiUi, you might consider downloading an alternative contacts app, something like Contacts+ or Simpler Contacts.

Dropped my mi3 yesterday and cracked the screen at the corner badly enough so that the capacitive buttons don't work anymore. I'll have to get a new screen and seem to remember that someone here has replaced their mi3 screen. Was wondering where is best to buy from and how long it takes. Have seen lots of options on Aliexpress but would prefer a recommendation if poss. Thanks!

It was tatranska if I'm correct. Dunno if he's still following this thread, but he's the OP so you could PM him

It was tatranska if I'm correct. Dunno if he's still following this thread, but he's the OP so you could PM him

Thanks DS will do that :)

Hi Folks Noob question from me

Thinking of installing one of these Roms, but not sure how to

Looked on xda-developers.com, for a how to install post, but could not find one

Could someone give me a link, or pointers please

http://forum.xda-developers.com/xiao...-ivan-t2967234

http://forum.xda-developers.com/xiao...876646/page142

I currently have Miui (stock ) installed , and not sure I have the correct recovery software installed

Broke my screen again :(

Did anyone have an issue with static build up under the screen on their Mi3, e.g. Ghost touches when you use a certain charger.

Last screen was plagued with it, but I'll keep my Mi3 if the new one doesn't have that :D Any excuse to hold onto it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭metroburgers

anyone have a spare screen they can spare? :pac: broke mine too

Advertisement