Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Rule for eligibility to Away Opens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

But even normal members can be bandits....got my first real experience of a "bandit" last week.

Played a "friendly" game of golf with a lady off 22 me off 24 my dad off 4 and another guy off "22".....this guy got two eagles 5 birdies and only one double bogey....

It ruined the whole day out for me, i was delighted to get a par on a par 5 but it was overshadowed by his 3. He gloated quite a bit about how it "wasnt bad for a 22 handicapper"....

I will never play a comp in his home club now as he mentioned he wins most comps ...how do people like him get away with it? Honestly.

I was always brought up to believe golf was an honorable game, played by gentlemen (and ladies of course) and i have never wrote the wrong score on a card intentionally! Nor have i intentionally duffed shots etc....

When I came back i will be looking at distance memberships in either boyne or skarc with a mate or two.

Anything that can help to hinder bandits in my eyes is a great thing.

If he wins most competitions and doesn't get cut, there is something amiss somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

First Up wrote: »
    If he wins most competitions and doesn't get cut, there is something amiss somewhere.

i should have said wins a prize not wins wins....and he may only play certain comps

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

But I'm not sure the current system is managed as tightly as it could be - are all "away" scores returned and do the distance membership flogging clubs always adjust handicaps as a result?
    You don't know how the current system works, yet you put yourself forward as some kind of authority on the subject, hmmm how does that work exactly?.

bobster453 wrote: »
    As i have already stated we received in the region of 20 away scores via Golfnet last year so obviously a lot of clubs eitherdont know how to use Golfnet properly or dont care..imo the latter rather than the former
    As regards observation be interested to hear other posters experience of how many if any members they know that were cut on that alone..a very slippery slope again imo
    And btw what evidence is there to show bandits are distance members apart from hearsay??..imo thats another cop out fallacy used by certain clubs to beat other clubs with
    Biggest banditry i have ever seen apart from holiday prize team events was in the Pierce Purcell a few years ago that won a regional final and the same players the following year had higher handicaps afterbeing told to mind them...and this from a well established club in Munster

I agree it is more indifference than incompetence - either way, roll on the new software. Cutting on observation is relatively rare but rarer still if the player never plays his "home" course.
    Not all bandits are distance members and not all distance members are bandits. But they do complement each other. But most distance members just want cheap golf at someone else's expense.

You don't know how the current system works, yet you put yourself forward as some kind of authority on the subject, hmmm how does that work exactly?.

Which system would that be? I have played a number of opens where my scores - good or bad - were not returned to my club. Bobster's post above supports the same point. As long as it is left to individual clubs, there is scope for abuse.

• Advertisement

Which system would that be? I have played a number of opens where my scores - good or bad - were not returned to my club. Bobster's post above supports the same point. As long as it is left to individual clubs, there is scope for abuse.
    Are you serious?, you're just taking the pi;s now right?.

Are you serious?, you're just taking the pi;s now right?.

Which point is giving you such discomfort?

Which point is giving you such discomfort?
    Honestly, don't get me started, but for starters look up CDH and the CONGU UHS manual and educate yourself.

Honestly, don't get me started, but for starters look up CDH and the CONGU UHS manual and educate yourself.

Be a good chap and point it out to everyone.

Be a good chap and point it out to everyone.
    I thought you'd be the first man to tell everyone, seen as you're the one putting yourself out there as the authority on the subject yet you don't even know how the CDH works? is it all hot air, waffle and noise, I wonder?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭bobster453

I agree it is more indifference than incompetence - either way, roll on the new software. Cutting on observation is relatively rare but rarer still if the player never plays his "home" course.
    Not all bandits are distance members and not all distance members are bandits. But they do complement each other. But most distance members just want cheap golf at someone else's expense.

But yet the actual wording of the motion specifically mentions observation as in

"Thus, by returning a minimum of three Qualifying Scores at his Home Club, annually, the player's
    Handicap Committee and peer information will better contribute to keeping the player's handicap under
    review leading to a more equitable handicapping system."
    Yet you state it is a rarity, therefore the truth will out-this has absolutely nothing to do with observation and is used as a pretext in a vain attempt to keep members at clubs with inflated fees.

Please explain, with facts and figures, not hearsay, how "Not all bandits are distance members and not all distance members are bandits. But they do complement each other. "To me that is a scandalous accusation to levy against anybody unless you have definitive proof that I am not aware of.

" But most distance members just want cheap golf at someone else's expense"
    Again, this is a generality, granted there are nowadays golf tourists who travel from club to club each year looking for the cheapest fees, but when, as is widely accepted,and has been shown in previous posts on Boards(if I find it I will repost) distance members make up in the region of 2% of all golfers in Ireland, how can you make out that all the ills of clubs are caused by distance members?

The above could just as easily apply to any member of any club who pays and plays in open comps in a course of a higher standard than theirs.
    By that reasoning, nobody should be allowed play in open comps in a marquee course except members of another marquee course.

Your arguments lack substance and only lend credence to the supposition that your knowledge of the issue has been gained by listening to other people moaning rather than on the basis of hard evidence.

I am probably totally wrong in that supposition but until your arguments are backed by concrete facts and figures there is no other possible conclusion.

I finish now with one of favourite quotes by Albert Einstein that could easily be applied to a certain number of clubs "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result each time"

Bobster's post above supports the same point. As long as it is left to individual clubs, there is scope for abuse.

I do not agree that it is abuse, just not every club is as well run as ours and has a Secretary who rigidly and routinely, daily if necessary, applies any required cuts as they arrive from CDH. I too have been in the position where a cut was due from another club and had to chase them for 3 weeks before it finally arrived via CDH, and had cut myself until it did.

ParLances earlier post hits the nail on the head, bandits want .1's, not cuts unless it is for something really worth getting cut for, and the absence of Team events in the motion that was passed does absolutely nothing to stamp out banditry as it is Team events where they gather.
    That has absolutely nothing to do with distance members, if it did it would not be an issue if the figures are correct and 2% of all golfers are distance members.

But yet the actual wording of the motion specifically mentions observation as in

"Thus, by returning a minimum of three Qualifying Scores at his Home Club, annually, the player's
    Handicap Committee and peer information will better contribute to keeping the player's handicap under
    review leading to a more equitable handicapping system."
    Yet you state it is a rarity, therefore the truth will out-this has absolutely nothing to do with observation and is used as a pretext in a vain attempt to keep members at clubs with inflated fees.

Please explain, with facts and figures, not hearsay, how "Not all bandits are distance members and not all distance members are bandits. But they do complement each other. "To me that is a scandalous accusation to levy against anybody unless you have definitive proof that I am not aware of.

" But most distance members just want cheap golf at someone else's expense"
    Again, this is a generality, granted there are nowadays golf tourists who travel from club to club each year looking for the cheapest fees, but when, as is widely accepted,and has been shown in previous posts on Boards(if I find it I will repost) distance members make up in the region of 2% of all golfers in Ireland, how can you make out that all the ills of clubs are caused by distance members?

The above could just as easily apply to any member of any club who pays and plays in open comps in a course of a higher standard than theirs.
    By that reasoning, nobody should be allowed play in open comps in a marquee course except members of another marquee course.

Your arguments lack substance and only lend credence to the supposition that your knowledge of the issue has been gained by listening to other people moaning rather than on the basis of hard evidence.

I am probably totally wrong in that supposition but until your arguments are backed by concrete facts and figures there is no other possible conclusion.

I finish now with one of favourite quotes by Albert Einstein that could easily be applied to a certain number of clubs "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result each time"

What a strange post. You seem determined to be confused about what I am saying and it looks like you aren't too sure of what you are saying yourself.

What exactly are you disagreeing with me about? If it is "observation", please read the earlier posts (mine and others) more carefully.

We are agreed (I think) that the current practice on returning away scores is inconsistent, whether by intention or incompetence doesn't really matter. All I am saying is that the new software in development will make the system easier to implement (or harder to dodge), resulting in more accurate handicaps. Are you disagreeing with this, and/or do you think this would be a bad thing?

As for the "complementing each other" part, this is simply saying that it is easier for distance members to maintain inflated handicaps than those who play their "home" club every week. I didn't make an accusation (scandalous or otherwise against anyone.

Can you show me where I said "distance members are the cause of all the ills"? I think this and some other of your remarks show that what you are really engaged in here is a proxy argument in defence of "distance" memberships and your incoherence on that subject only reveals that I have touched a raw nerve.

What a strange post. You seem determined to be confused about what I am saying and it looks like you aren't too sure of what you are saying yourself.

What exactly are you disagreeing with me about? If it is "observation", please read the earlier posts (mine and others) more carefully.

We are agreed (I think) that the current practice on returning away scores is inconsistent, whether by intention or incompetence doesn't really matter. All I am saying is that the new software in development will make the system easier to implement (or harder to dodge), resulting in more accurate handicaps. Are you disagreeing with this, and/or do you think this would be a bad thing?

As for the "complementing each other" part, this is simply saying that it is easier for distance members to maintain inflated handicaps than those who play their "home" club every week. I didn't make an accusation (scandalous or otherwise against anyone.

Can you show me where I said "distance members are the cause of all the ills"? I think this and some other of your remarks show that what you are really engaged in here is a proxy argument in defence of "distance" memberships and your incoherence on that subject only reveals that I have touched a raw nerve.

What a strange incoherent response.I was merely responding to your earlier posts that were full of hearsay and short on substance and respond by attempting to deflect attention from this.

Anything that reduces or makes banditry harder is of course to be welcomed but when you insist on attaking a segment of golfers without any facts to back up your arguments it does beg the question..what is your real agenda??

What a strange incoherent response.I was merely responding to your earlier posts that were full of hearsay and short on substance and respond by attempting to deflect attention from this.

Anything that reduces or makes banditry harder is of course to be welcomed but when you insist on attaking a segment of golfers without any facts to back up your arguments it does beg the question..what is your real agenda??

Thank you for confirming that.

I have never made any secret of my "agenda" - i.e the well being of golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Redzah

But most distance members just want cheap golf at someone else's expense.

Golf has a market like everything else. The price is market driven with examples as follows;

1. Distance memberships are generally in remote clubs who have limited demands for full/local memberships. In order to generate revenue and keep the club afloat they are priced accordingly to attract individuals who want to keep a handicap. Basic economics.

2. Open competitions are more often midweek and are priced to attract the highest possible revenue for the day without devaluing the brand of the course, a difficult balancing act. Again though this is market driven.

3. Full memberships in attractive, well run courses and highly populated areas are priced much higher. Again due to the price been set where supply and demand are at equilibrium. Or in the case of some, where the supply has reached its roof (max number of members) and this is when joining fees come into the equation. The golfer at this club gets a much superior product; course, member comps, practice facilities, close proximity, club atmosphere and has to pay for this.

The reason I point out the above is that your point about distance members getting cheap golf at someone elses expense is completely misguided. The are both paying the market rate for different products, one is inferior to the other and priced accordingly.

You seem to have a bee in your bonnet about distance members and a belief that you are subsidising them playing golf when in reality the higher price you are paying is for a higher quality product, if you have an issue with this and you still feel that you are subsidising distance members then why would you be so foolish to continue being a frustrated man for the next few years? why not join them and have somebody else subsidise your golf as you believe?

It seems foolish to me that you have the belief that the distance membership option represents better value than the full membership option but you continue to take the option with lesser value and instead go online to just moan about it instead of taking action.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Imagine if clubs in Dublin advertised, membership 150 euros 3free rounds and a Gui handicap. We never expect to see u again after that.
    The Gui would have the club suppended in a minute.
    I have no problem with distance membership but have a problem with handicaps that are basically bought. Join a distance club where u can go play 3 rounds a year. If u don't want to do that just go play in a society or pay green fees

Redzah wrote: »
    Golf has a market like everything else. The price is market driven with examples as follows;

1. Distance memberships are generally in remote clubs who have limited demands for full/local memberships. In order to generate revenue and keep the club afloat they are priced accordingly to attract individuals who want to keep a handicap. Basic economics.

2. Open competitions are more often midweek and are priced to attract the highest possible revenue for the day without devaluing the brand of the course, a difficult balancing act. Again though this is market driven.

3. Full memberships in attractive, well run courses and highly populated areas are priced much higher. Again due to the price been set where supply and demand are at equilibrium. Or in the case of some, where the supply has reached its roof (max number of members) and this is when joining fees come into the equation. The golfer at this club gets a much superior product; course, member comps, practice facilities, close proximity, club atmosphere and has to pay for this.

The reason I point out the above is that your point about distance members getting cheap golf at someone elses expense is completely misguided. The are both paying the market rate for different products, one is inferior to the other and priced accordingly.

You seem to have a bee in your bonnet about distance members and a belief that you are subsidising them playing golf when in reality the higher price you are paying is for a higher quality product, if you have an issue with this and you still feel that you are subsidising distance members then why would you be so foolish to continue being a frustrated man for the next few years? why not join them and have somebody else subsidise your golf as you believe?

It seems foolish to me that you have the belief that the distance membership option represents better value than the full membership option but you continue to take the option with lesser value and instead go online to just moan about it instead of taking action.

No problem with any of that other than the "distance member" getting an extra discount for pretending to be a member of a club. The "market" rate for visitors is the green fee. Pay that and they are welcome. Opens were conceived as a means for clubs to offer reciprocal hospitality to other golfers who are supporting their own clubs. That concept is being exploited by the distance crew and being abused by the clubs facilitating them for their own gain.
    The reasons I don't join them are because (a) it is wrong and (b) because I understand the physiology of the Golden Goose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Russman

mike12 wrote: »
    Imagine if clubs in Dublin advertised, membership 150 euros 3free rounds and a Gui handicap. We never expect to see u again after that.
    I have no problem with distance membership but have a problem with handicaps that are basically bought. Join a distance club where u can go play 3 rounds a year. If u don't want to do that just go play in a society or pay green fees

Genuine question, what grounds would the GUI have for suspending them ?
    I assume there must be some, as surely at some point a struggling Dublin club would have thought of that and tried it to get cash in........?

Your example would never come to fruition as it would be an terrible idea economically for any Dublin club that has any sort of demand/existing membership. By offering this scenario, it would motivate some existing members to transfer to this option and thus significantly reduce existing revenue for which any additional revenue from new members would struggle to prop up.

Why do you have a problem with a handicap that is bought this way? Anybody who wants to manipulate the system will do so whether its via a club or distance membership. Every club has bandits who go out and don't try and get .1's back in the lead up to more prestigious competitions, it is cheating and they are scum but it happens.

I think its obvious to see that this whole rule was brought in for more sinister reasons than maintaining a fair handicap system, to stay PC the gui had to come up with something to say that doesn't completely rock the boat. However, in reality this was brought in as the GUI is generally made up of people who have been in the game a long time and who are members of more established and member clubs. These clubs have lost many members through the economic decline and some of the individuals that left joined clubs as distance members to stay active in the game as it was their only option based on their own personal finances. Being bitter that their clubs were losing members and revenue, the GUI committee decided to attempt to hinder those of leave the established clubs from staying active in the game by bringing in this rule.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

You can get a 5 day pay & play (GUI card in your pocket) in Grange Castle for €225. A little bit more expensive but still extremely cheap and the slight increase is understandable for obvious reasons.
    A member could join and do exactly as they do with the "distance" clubs. There are a few more clubs in Dublin and its surrounds that offer extremely cheap means of attaining a GUI. They don't force people to play and I don't think the GUI have any intentions of shutting them down.

This motion wasn't the brainchild of the GUI, they implemented a proposal made by clubs.

No problem with any of that other than the "distance member" getting an extra discount for pretending to be a member of a club. The "market" rate for visitors is the green fee. Pay that and they are welcome. Opens were conceived as a means for clubs to offer reciprocal hospitality to other golfers who are supporting their own clubs. That concept is being exploited by the distance crew and being abused by the clubs facilitating them for their own gain.
    The reasons I don't join them are because (a) it is wrong and (b) because I understand the physiology of the Golden Goose.

See this is where again you are only looking at one side of the coin, you say that opens were conceived as a means for clubs to offer reciprocal hospitality to other golfers who are supporting their clubs and note that distance members are exploiting them. However, what you completely ignore is.........The clubs who run these open competitions are purely thinking of revenue when they run them, it has nothing to do with reciprocal hospitality in this day and age, it is all to balance the books. Look around, courses who you never thought would have open competitions now have weekly ones, other clubs have extended their weekly open period to run 6 months of the year when it previously ran for 3 months. Times have changed due to the economics and the clubs running the open competitions are exploiting the current scenario to generate revenue, it is completely one sided to say that distance members are exploiting opens.

Redzah wrote: »

Quite simply one of the best thought out and constituted posts i have ever seen
    Fair Play

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Tommo 76

Is it also worth mentioning the financial help these distance members bring to various courses? Yes they get their distance membership, and have no affiliation to any club, apart from the distance club, but these members do the this membership type, to presumably play more local open competitions. This in turn gives their local clubs more revenue, due to open competitions always paying more than members. Take for example an open fourball weekend, members pay 6/7 each, open players pay 15. thats approximately double the entrance fee of a member. This means that for every 100 club members, 50 open players makes up the same revenue for the club.

Over the course of an open fourball weekend for example, there may be say 150 fourballs out, (75 groups of 4, at say 7 groups an hour, 10 hours of tee times, realistic enough, may even be more). Say 1/5 of these are non club members, thats 30 fourballs, 60 x €15 is 900 euro (May not seem much, but say there is 10 open weekends a year, between open weekends and open week, thats 9000 a year for a club), thats the same as approx 125 current club members playing. Sorry gone off on a rant here, but just wanted to highlight that these distance members can contribute to other clubs, and these local clubs may not have budgeted for this extra income so it can help them.

I know these distance members can have a certain status as bandits etc, but thats the same for all clubs, distance or not in my opinion. In saying that the above is probably waffle!!

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Dossy

To me it seems like they are using the excuse of handicap abuse to bring it in but really its due to the loss of members in the like of Dublin etc where membership of even half decent places is very high....IMO

Tommo 76 wrote: »
    Is it also worth mentioning the financial help these distance members bring to various courses? Yes they get their distance membership, and have no affiliation to any club, apart from the distance club, but these members do the this membership type, to presumably play more local open competitions. This in turn gives their local clubs more revenue, due to open competitions always paying more than members. Take for example an open fourball weekend, members pay 6/7 each, open players pay 15. thats approximately double the entrance fee of a member. This means that for every 100 club members, 50 open players makes up the same revenue for the club.

Over the course of an open fourball weekend for example, there may be say 150 fourballs out, (75 groups of 4, at say 7 groups an hour, 10 hours of tee times, realistic enough, may even be more). Say 1/5 of these are non club members, thats 30 fourballs, 60 x €15 is 900 euro (May not seem much, but say there is 10 open weekends a year, between open weekends and open week, thats 9000 a year for a club), thats the same as approx 125 current club members playing. Sorry gone off on a rant here, but just wanted to highlight that these distance members can contribute to other clubs, and these local clubs may not have budgeted for this extra income so it can help them.

I know these distance members can have a certain status as bandits etc, but thats the same for all clubs, distance or not in my opinion. In saying that the above is probably waffle!!

Marginal income - based on marginal costing - is a well understood and well used business principle. The same way as an airline is better off selling an otherwise empty seat for anything, on the basis that once the doors close, the seat is worthless. In golfing terms, an empty course brings in no revenue, so why not get something?

The problem is the way it distorts the market. If an airline sells all its seats at below cost, before too long the plane won't fly. For a golf club, marginal costing through cheap opens is grand - as long as it constitutes extra income. You see that in action all the time with discounting websites like Golf Now, Tee Times.ie and a host of others. Clubs use these sites by looking at their bookings and deciding on a day by day basis what to offer the casual, or last minute "shopper". Many clubs get green fee business like this. Hotels adopt a similar approach through the various discounting websites.

However the airline, hotel or golf club still has to pay its way to survive and most clubs derive the vast majority of their income from members subscriptions. Clubs are mutual societies, with members contributing to costs as well as giving some business to the pro shop, catering facilities etc. The distance open specialists are essentially availing of the commitment and cash of others to provide them with nice places to play and the clubs flogging distance memberships are knowingly and cynically exploiting this.

We have had numerous examples here of people who are happy to admit that they take the distance route as an alternative to supporting a club. That's grand, as long as the clubs they like to play can afford to stay open to accommodate them and they won't do that if they are reduced to taking discounted green fees from people who are only interested in getting the cheapest deal they can.

We also have people here defending the practice of flogging distance memberships as a source of income, in the full knowledge they are exploiting other clubs. Personally I don't think requiring these "members" to play just three competitions is enough. Ten would be a more realistic definition of a "member" and such a stipulation would sharply dis-incentivise the "have card will travel" brigade. Gosh, some of them might even be persuaded to really join a club.

Dossy wrote: »
    To me it seems like they are using the excuse of handicap abuse to bring it in but really its due to the loss of members in the like of Dublin etc where membership of even half decent places is very high....IMO

Depends on what you mean by high. You think many clubs are banking large profits?

Marginal income - based on marginal costing - is a well understood and well used business principle. The same way as an airline is better off selling an otherwise empty seat for anything, on the basis that once the doors close, the seat is worthless. In golfing terms, an empty course brings in no revenue, so why not get something?

The problem is the way it distorts the market. If an airline sells all its seats at below cost, before too long the plane won't fly. For a golf club, marginal costing through cheap opens is grand - as long as it constitutes extra income. You see that in action all the time with discounting websites like Golf Now, Tee Times.ie and a host of others. Clubs use these sites by looking at their bookings and deciding on a day by day basis what to offer the casual, or last minute "shopper". Many clubs get green fee business like this. Hotels adopt a similar approach through the various discounting websites.

However the airline, hotel or golf club still has to pay its way to survive and most clubs derive the vast majority of their income from members subscriptions. Clubs are mutual societies, with members contributing to costs as well as giving some business to the pro shop, catering facilities etc. The distance open specialists are essentially availing of the commitment and cash of others to provide them with nice places to play and the clubs flogging distance memberships are knowingly and cynically exploiting this.

We have had numerous examples here of people who are happy to admit that they take the distance route as an alternative to supporting a club. That's grand, as long as the clubs they like to play can afford to stay open to accommodate them and they won't do that if they are reduced to taking discounted green fees from people who are only interested in getting the cheapest deal they can.

We also have people here defending the practice of flogging distance memberships as a source of income, in the full knowledge they are exploiting other clubs. Personally I don't think requiring these "members" to play just three competitions is enough. Ten would be a more realistic definition of a "member" and such a stipulation would sharply dis-incentivise the "have card will travel" brigade. Gosh, some of them might even be persuaded to really join a club.

The commitment to cash of others as you say is one way of saying that these are full paying members who are enjoying the benefits of full membership in their local course. This is a premium product with a premium price, you pay more or commit cash as you say and you get back more benefits!!!!

You then talk about distance members exploiting playing opens in their courses but you don't talk at all about any exploitation of the club hosting the open of its own members (or cash cows :D). For the record, I don't think there is much exploitation on either side, it is merely just the general business of using your product (the course and facilities) to generate multiple revenue steams (e.g. membership income and visitor income).

While your marginal income model above works for the courses that use golfnow and other such sites by selling last minute teetimes at a discounted rate for an otherwise unused slot, it is not as relevant to Opens which is the topic of this discussion. These opens are planned months in advance when the yearly scheduling is done. The only thought process that goes into them is that there are held on a less desireable day to not piss off the members too much, after that its all about income generation. This income generation also extends to visitors eating and drinking in the bar and making purchases in the pro shop (as members also do) which in turn means more cash to utilise to maintain the standards of the course of which is used by its members 90% of the time, the members win too!!!!

Without the open income, some clubs would not be able to keep up the facilities to a high standard for its members or would have to increase membership income to account for the lost open income, both are a negative.

Depends on what you mean by high. You think many clubs are banking large profits?

The reason why clubs don't necessary bank profits is because they are CLUBS. As you may notice in most club financial statements Income and Costs are extremely closely aligned. Adding to profits to reserves on a yearly basis is not in the ethos of the club model. The Club finance committees focus is on ensuring they have enough income to meet their costs. Any excess income is utilised either by opening up the purse strings for club teams or through capital projects over the coming years (which results in a depreciation charge to the P&L and thus minimises book profit).

Shareholder value is created in clubs by utilising excess income and spending this excess income to augment the product given to its members. This is very different to a business who's shareholder value lies in the fact that a shareholder now has a share of an increased shareholder funds balance or is paid a dividend out of excess profits at the year end.

No club will consistently show huge profits year on year as it is not what the club is set out to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

As a matter of interest how many members owned clubs have closed in the last 5 years. I know Rathsallagh, Glencullen and Dublin City golf clubs have all closed recently but they were not members owned.

Advertisement