Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

It's begun again!

«1

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭ orchidsrpretty


    Brilliant! Due twins in November and I have always dreamed of being able to dress cute little babies in Santa outfits. I can't wait for Christmas this year!!


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ ComputerKing


    Was in BT in Limerick today and they had a sign up saying the Christmas shop was open.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭ SarahLil


    I've actually never been to the BT Christmas shop as much as I love christmas, must pay a visit this year


  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,329 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Loughc


    SarahLil wrote: »
    I've actually never been to the BT Christmas shop as much as I love christmas, must pay a visit this year

    Me too! Been living in Dublin for 2 years now and I've never been! I need to get my act together haha!


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭ SarahLil


    Loughc wrote: »
    Me too! Been living in Dublin for 2 years now and I've never been! I need to get my act together haha!
    Lived here all my life Lol every other shops I visit I make a bee line for the Christmas shop as soon as the stock is in, have to accomplish visiting there this year


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ Cunning Stunt


    Didn't penneys in city centre used to have a Christmas shop upstairs that ran all year round?


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ ComputerKing


    I'd highly recommend that ye go its really worth it and you can find some great deals there. I haven't been to the Dublin one in years but its probably still better than our one in Limerick. I'll probably give it a check out next week as I didn't have time to get to see it last time as I was looking for a sports coat and only had 30mins.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭ SarahLil


    I'd highly recommend that ye go its really worth it and you can find some great deals there. I haven't been to the Dublin one in years but its probably still better than our one in Limerick. I'll probably give it a check out next week as I didn't have time to get to see it last time as I was looking for a sports coat and only had 30mins.

    Thanks will defiantly make a trip, believe it or not know one in my circle as ever said you have to head to BT, friends&family know I love christmas that much they would bring me back decorations from all over the world, my other half actually got me decoration "saying I believe" from Sanfrancisco, he likes to tease that I'm so into christmas I actually do believe


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ ComputerKing


    SarahLil wrote: »
    Thanks will defiantly make a trip, believe it or not know one in my circle as ever said you have to head to BT, friends&family know I love christmas that much they would bring me back decorations from all over the world, my other half actually got me decoration "saying I believe" from Sanfrancisco, he likes to tease that I'm so into christmas I actually do believe

    I've got a few decorations from all over the world too. However sometimes I find it hard to incorporate them into out decorating and look. However one of my favourite decorations are 15 hand blown glass icicles from Germany I even had a video of them being blown somewhere.


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 ✭✭✭ EarnestH


    To early for Christmas. It isn't even September.

    Why is there an entire forum on Christmas/


  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,329 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Loughc


    EarnestH wrote: »
    To early for Christmas. It isn't even September.

    Why is there an entire forum on Christmas/

    You're in the wrong forum buddy. No nah humbugs are allowed here :-)


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 ✭✭✭ EarnestH


    but surely you can express opinion

    there is probably no mod until december


  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 26,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Posy


    There's always a mod.

    Don't post here again please.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭ snowgal


    Annnnd, the roses and quality street are here! Were €12.99 in Dunnes last week now €6..and.so.it.begins!!:D the roses tin is new btw...


  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,329 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Loughc


    snowgal wrote: »
    Annnnd, the roses and quality street are here! Were €12.99 in Dunnes last week now €6..and.so.it.begins!!:D the roses tin is new btw...


    If it's smaller again, I will cry!


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭ EunanMac


    Its very hard on families with low incomes and young kids, being put under "Christmas" pressure already. 4 months away ? I can't believe its starting already.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭ snowgal


    I was trying to find out but couldnt remember what the tin weight was last year?? It lloked a little more compact but could be just the design, hopefully..:confused:


  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,329 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Loughc


    EunanMac wrote: »
    Its very hard on families with low incomes and young kids, being put under "Christmas" pressure already. 4 months away ? I can't believe its starting already.

    Not really if anything selling Christmas stock now, gives low income families time to put down deposits, pay off week by week, save and plan better. If the stock only gets rolled out in shops in December how would that help low income families?


  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,329 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Loughc


    snowgal wrote: »
    I was trying to find out but couldnt remember what the tin weight was last year?? It lloked a little more compact but could be just the design, hopefully..:confused:

    Last year's tin was 850g down from 975g :(

    If it's less than 850g I give up, I remember the good old days of 1kg tins!


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭ EunanMac


    Loughc wrote: »
    Not really if anything selling Christmas stock now, gives low income families time to put down deposits, pay off week by week, save and plan better. If the stock only gets rolled out in shops in December how would that help low income families?

    There is only so much you can save up for when you're under a lot of pressure already and have many other big bills coming up. Water charges are also here in September, back to school loans have to paid off.
    For 4 months now children and parents who can ill afford it, are going to have it in their faces day in day out. And advertising these days ensures nothing is ever enough.


  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,329 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Loughc


    EunanMac wrote: »
    There is only so much you can save up for when you're under a lot of pressure already and have many other big bills coming up. Water charges are also here in September, back to school loans have to paid off.
    For 4 months now children and parents who can ill afford it, are going to have it in their faces day in day out. And advertising these days ensures nothing is ever enough.

    But what I don't understand is, if the stock "isn't in their faces" until December, how will that make it more financially viable for them to afford it?

    I'm from a large family myself and we had little to no money growing up, but my parents used to save on the build up to Christmas. And paying off items like toys and food week by week in advance, so they wouldn't be hit with a large bill at Christmas.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭ EunanMac


    Loughc wrote: »
    But what I don't understand is, if the stock "isn't in their faces" until December, how will that make it more financially viable for them to afford it?

    I'm from a large family myself and we had little to no money growing up, but my parents used to save on the build up to Christmas. And paying off items like toys and food week by week in advance, so they wouldn't be hit with a large bill at Christmas.

    As I have already tried to explain to you, families under pressure are already trying to say for many other bills coming up, while still paying off back to school bills. Christmas might be great for some people, but for many out there it is a time of incredible pressure.


  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,329 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Loughc


    Well to be low income families are under pressure all year round, not just at Christmas!

    They simplest way to but it, you can't spend what you can't afford. Sweets in tesco in September and all the advertisers in the world won't change that. I see an ad for a Ferrari every day to work, I can't afford one or want the pressure of a loan that size hanging over my head, I don't buy it.

    It's the same concept with Christmas, yes advertising is rampant at Christmas but low income families don't buy into it. Christmas isnt about the commerical element at all, it's the sense of togetherness and love. My favourite Christmases were the ones when all my family were around, and not sitting around with expensive presents.


  • Registered Users Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭ Toto Wolfcastle


    Whether the build up starts in September or December, Christmas is always going to be hard for some people, financially or emotionally. There could be no advertising until Christmas Eve and it would still be tough for some people.

    I'm loving seeing all the Christmas things arriving into the shops. It's so exciting. :) I wont buy any of it for a good while though!


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭ EunanMac


    Loughc wrote: »
    Well to be low income families are under pressure all year round, not just at Christmas!

    They simplest way to but it, you can't spend what you can't afford. Sweets in tesco in September and all the advertisers in the world won't change that. I see an ad for a Ferrari every day to work, I can't afford one or want the pressure of a loan that size hanging over my head, I don't buy it.

    It's the same concept with Christmas, yes advertising is rampant at Christmas but low income families don't buy into it. Christmas isnt about the commerical element at all, it's the sense of togetherness and love. My favourite Christmases were the ones when all my family were around, and not sitting around with expensive presents.

    You can surely appreciate that children, and peer pressure for children is very different.
    I can't see how a four month build up and advertising pressure for "Christmas" is in any way beneficial for Children. It totally spoils it.


  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,329 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Loughc


    I'm loving seeing all the Christmas things arriving into the shops. It's so exciting. :) I wont buy any of it for a good while though!

    Usually from November I pick up some extra bits and pieces each week in the weekly shop. Makes the Christmas shop much easier to manage, financially and list wise!


  • Registered Users Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭ Toto Wolfcastle


    Loughc wrote: »
    Usually from November I pick up some extra bits and pieces each week in the weekly shop. Makes the Christmas shop much easier to manage, financially and list wise!

    Me too. I'd hate to leave everything until the last minute. November is the perfect time to start for me. I still love looking at the Christmas stock until then though. And if I get a craving for a chocolate reindeer in October I know I can pick one up easily. :D


  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,329 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Loughc


    Me too. I'd hate to leave everything until the last minute. November is the perfect time to start for me. I still love looking at the Christmas stock until then though. And if I get a craving for a chocolate reindeer in October I know I can pick one up easily. :D

    THIS. This is my downfall haha! I must have consumed 10 bags of Snow Bites and mini Yule Logs BEFORE December even came around. The Christmas Chocolates are so nice and the limited availablity only makes them even more needed!


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭ Toto Wolfcastle


    Loughc wrote: »
    THIS. This is my downfall haha! I must have consumed 10 bags of Snow Bites and mini Yule Logs BEFORE December even came around. The Christmas Chocolates are so nice and the limited availablity only makes them even more needed!

    M&S had lovely chocolate orange Christmas trees last year. So good. It would be wrong not to eat them all while they're around.


Advertisement