We have updated our Privacy Notice, you can read the updated document here
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

Why do teeth sometimes hurt or need root canal after a filling?

  • #2
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,546 ✭✭✭ btkm8unsl0w5r4


    This crops up a lot on the forum. A poster gets a filling that remains sore, gets sore after a filling. The natural response is to think that the filling is causing problems.

    The truth is that when decay is in a tooth, or has a large previous filling. The nerve can get inflamed. Removing the soft decay and filling the tooth can allow the nerve to settle most of the time. However sometimes the toxins from the decay will irreversibly inflame the nerve and cause pain or discomfort. The solution is often a root canal, to remove the problem nerve.

    This picture show the extension of a small decay lesion effecting deep into the tooth to the nerve. A large filling/decay lesion will have much more effect on the nerve.

    6034073

    Dentists are always trying to repair damage. They cannot replace a malfunctioning or infected nerve. The best solution is to prevent decay through restriction and frequency of sugar intake and regular home and professional cleaning. Dentists will often try a filling to try and avoid you the patient having the time and expense of a root canal, but if it does not work the cause is the decay and tooth damage.


«1

Comments

  • #2


    I think this is important enough to be a sticky.


  • #2


    How long should you wait to go back to the dentist if you're having pain after a deep filling? I know they can calm down after a while. But how long is too long to be in pain?


  • #2


    MoonDancer wrote: »
    How long should you wait to go back to the dentist if you're having pain after a deep filling? I know they can calm down after a while. But how long is too long to be in pain?

    I've just gone about a month of on and off pain now its become much much worse and almost but not quite constant.

    If its as bad on Monday, thinking of not eating tomorrow Sunday, as any heat has the pain go off the scale, I'll be making an appointment. Pain currently going from one particular previously deep filled back tooth up into my left temple :mad:

    From the X-rays the roots x4 of the b4st4ard are massive so I've got to find someone who will do it under full sedation.

    Anyone have any idea what the best over the counter pain killers to take the edge off the pain in the mean time?


  • #2


    Nurofen Plus. You will have to speak to the pharmacist to explain why you want it.


  • #2


    Esel wrote: »
    Nurofen Plus. You will have to speak to the pharmacist to explain why you want it.

    Thanks, I have a 24 pack here on the desk beside me, took two an hour ago and no luck :(

    Only thing that works is keeping the tooth slightly cool by drinking bottled water, the pain goes but the effect only lasts about a minute, so how I'll sleep tonight I've no idea?


  • #2


    my3cents wrote: »
    Thanks, I have a 24 pack here on the desk beside me, took two an hour ago and no luck :(

    Only thing that works is keeping the tooth slightly cool by drinking bottled water, the pain goes but the effect only lasts about a minute, so how I'll sleep tonight I've no idea?

    You can take paracetamol in tandem with ibuprofen. Don't exceed recommended dosages.


  • #2


    Esel wrote: »
    You can take paracetamol in tandem with ibuprofen. Don't exceed recommended dosages.

    Thanks again, already been taking paracetamol all day, originally interspersed with generic ibuprofen and now Nurofen plus as also recommended by the pharmacist. I'm keeping an eye on the dosage but as they aren't really doing that much I might leave them out after 24hrs or less anyway.

    Keeping the temperature of the tooth just right seems to make the biggest difference. Really cold water makes the pain worse as does warm water but water just a bit below room temperature takes the pain right away. However since discovering that I've drunk 3l of water in about 2 hours so I'm starting to wonder if there is a max daily dose of water :)

    Edit> Google tells me that I could be drinking too much so will have to cut back a bit.


  • #2


    You have pulpitis, inflamation of the nerve, only dental treatment will remove the pain. There a dentists open tomorrow.


  • #2


    So stayed up all Saturday night and after taking the third lot of Nurofem Plus (18hrs after the first) the pain went. Slept most of Sunday. Now in a quandary as I still have a background ache (nothing serious) but in a totally different tooth to the one I thought what causing the problem. So will just have to wait and see what the dentist makes of it, appointment in an hour.

    Edit>Follow on for anyone interested. Discussed the problem with my dentist and the outcome was he has referred me to a orthodontic surgeon who only does extractions.

    My dentist could have done the extraction there and then BUT the X-ray shows the roots go up to my sinuses and if any of the roots broke off during the extraction I would have to go to the orthodontic surgeon anyway. Decider was that he said in the same position he wouldn't get another dentist in the practice to do the extraction he'd use an orthodontic surgeon.

    If anyone is interested I'll let you know how I get on.


  • #2


    Can the tooth be fixed or is it beyond repair? How long will you wait to see the ORAL surgeon? A temporary filling/ root canal can get you out of pain in the interim FYI....
    Os

    my3cents wrote: »
    So stayed up all Saturday night and after taking the third lot of Nurofem Plus (18hrs after the first) the pain went. Slept most of Sunday. Now in a quandary as I still have a background ache (nothing serious) but in a totally different tooth to the one I thought what causing the problem. So will just have to wait and see what the dentist makes of it, appointment in an hour.

    Edit>Follow on for anyone interested. Discussed the problem with my dentist and the outcome was he has referred me to a orthodontic surgeon who only does extractions.

    My dentist could have done the extraction there and then BUT the X-ray shows the roots go up to my sinuses and if any of the roots broke off during the extraction I would have to go to the orthodontic surgeon anyway. Decider was that he said in the same position he wouldn't get another dentist in the practice to do the extraction he'd use an orthodontic surgeon.

    If anyone is interested I'll let you know how I get on.


  • #2


    The tooth is mostly filling and was filled probably for the 4th time about 3 months ago when I had similar but not quite as bad pain. I was told then it might need to come out. It took about a week to calm down after the last filling. I'm really just dragging out having the tooth removed plus my dentist probably didn't want to risk doing it.

    If necessary I can get into the surgeon tomorrow Wednesday, but I have an appointment for Wednesday week. The pain mostly has subsided otherwise I'd have got something done by now.


  • #2


    To follow up.

    Had the tooth out today and opted for a general anesthetic - really didn't want to know what was happening in case I have to have more out in the future. Back home now from the procedure that seems to have gone very well, none of the potential issues that can occur in this case. With the anesthetic the whole performance was probably longer than it needed to be, started 9am and awake again at 10.30am. I did not feel a thing.

    Told to take two days rest and told not to do things like sneeze or blow my nose.

    The tooth when it was removed has settled down a good bit with none of the extreme pain so I could have gone on with it for a good bit longer but decided on balance it was probably better out.

    I'll update if I get any issues or pain later as the anesthetics wear off. Had them in the gum and roof of my mouth as far as I can tell as well as the general anesthetic.

    tbh a very easy process, getting an appointment was possibly the hardest bit.


  • #2


    Good that you are sorted...
    Out of interest, was it a ga or IV sedation?

    my3cents wrote: »
    To follow up.

    Had the tooth out today and opted for a general anesthetic - really didn't want to know what was happening in case I have to have more out in the future. Back home now from the procedure that seems to have gone very well, none of the potential issues that can occur in this case. With the anesthetic the whole performance was probably longer than it needed to be, started 9am and awake again at 10.30am. I did not feel a thing.

    Told to take two days rest and told not to do things like sneeze or blow my nose.

    The tooth when it was removed has settled down a good bit with none of the extreme pain so I could have gone on with it for a good bit longer but decided on balance it was probably better out.

    I'll update if I get any issues or pain later as the anesthetics wear off. Had them in the gum and roof of my mouth as far as I can tell as well as the general anesthetic.

    tbh a very easy process, getting an appointment was possibly the hardest bit.


  • #2


    Good that you are sorted...
    Out of interest, was it a ga or IV sedation?

    Sorry, good point, afaik it was IV, came out of it very quickly. Wasn't allowed to do anything afterwards, wife drove me home, I wouldn't have driven but had no problems with functioning from 5 minutes after I came around.

    12 hour later no pain, was expecting some but Dr I saw just does extractions and nothing else so guess he's got good at it.


  • #2


    I had a filling replaced just over 4 weeks ago.

    Initially it was very sore to chew on it, and it was a bit sensitive to heat and cold. It also felt like I kept bumping into it with the tooth below.

    After 3 weeks it had become really sensitive to hot/cold and I was back in the dentists, she made an adjustment (said it was too "high") and it really settled down, I thought it was better but in the past 3 days its flared up again.

    I almost jumped through the roof after taking a sip of hot tea this morning.

    Im back in the dentists this friday, and will say it to her then, but can it happen that it can hurt like this for so long?

    It seems to hurt from heat, cold or just eating. Im a bit gutted I interfered tbh, I was having the filling in it replaced in it because it was discoloured.


  • #2


    I had a filling replaced just over 4 weeks ago.

    Initially it was very sore to chew on it, and it was a bit sensitive to heat and cold. It also felt like I kept bumping into it with the tooth below.

    After 3 weeks it had become really sensitive to hot/cold and I was back in the dentists, she made an adjustment (said it was too "high") and it really settled down, I thought it was better but in the past 3 days its flared up again.

    I almost jumped through the roof after taking a sip of hot tea this morning.

    Im back in the dentists this friday, and will say it to her then, but can it happen that it can hurt like this for so long?

    It seems to hurt from heat, cold or just eating. Im a bit gutted I interfered tbh, I was having the filling in it replaced in it because it was discoloured.
    Poor you! I was pretty shocked to learn that when a filling is being replaced, a temporary filling should be put in for up to a week to allow any inflammation to go down, never has a dentist ever even mentioned this when replacing any of mine! Have lingering pain like yours that no dentist I've asked to check can see anything wrong, SUCKS!


  • #2


    pointelle wrote: »
    Poor you! I was pretty shocked to learn that when a filling is being replaced, a temporary filling should be put in for up to a week to allow any inflammation to go down, never has a dentist ever even mentioned this when replacing any of mine! Have lingering pain like yours that no dentist I've asked to check can see anything wrong, SUCKS!

    Thank you.

    I ended up going back to dentist with pain and was referred for root canal.

    Had first part done a few days later and remained in pain for another week, had it finished yesterday and still in some pain so hoping it settles down soon.

    Am totally peeved with it all, besides the extortionate cost, Im in pain the past 6 weeks and not been able to eat properly throughout.


  • #2


    I had nerve pain too recently with a tooth which had been giving trouble.

    The dentist recommended removing it and as I was going on Holidays I agreed.Im a bit sorry now I didn't look into other options.


  • #2


    Mary63 wrote: »
    I had nerve pain too recently with a tooth which had been giving trouble.

    The dentist recommended removing it and as I was going on Holidays I agreed.Im a bit sorry now I didn't look into other options.

    Can you not look at other options now like an implant?


  • #2


    Its a back tooth though,its left a big gap but it was very sensitive so I don't miss that.

    How much does an implant cost and what would you attach it too if the whole tooth is gone.


  • #2


    Mary63 wrote: »
    Its a back tooth though,its left a big gap but it was very sensitive so I don't miss that.

    How much does an implant cost and what would you attach it too if the whole tooth is gone.

    I dont know the answer to either but I can guarantee you the answer to the first bit is VERY expensive - any and all dentistry is hugely expensive in this country from what I can see.


  • #2


    Mary63 wrote: »
    Its a back tooth though,its left a big gap but it was very sensitive so I don't miss that.

    How much does an implant cost and what would you attach it too if the whole tooth is gone.

    Just have a google for dentists in your area I'm sure you will find at least one with a comprehensive price list.


  • #2


    Mary63 wrote: »
    Its a back tooth though,its left a big gap but it was very sensitive so I don't miss that.

    How much does an implant cost and what would you attach it too if the whole tooth is gone.

    where are you located?


  • #2


    Maybe someone might be able to throw some light on what I've had done.

    I was in serious pain up to last Friday morning with a tooth I had a deep filling in earlier this year.

    Dentist took X-rays and went on to tell me it would have to a root canal or extraction. Root canal it is, but he couldn't do it on the day. So I was told he was 'removing a nerve' as a temporary fix and would complete the root canal at a later date.

    Yesterday it was fine, slight irritation but nothing major. Today has been worse, theres a pain in that tooth every time I bite down.

    Should this be the case? Am I just getting used to whats he's done?


  • #2


    Yeah mine developed a lot of pain between session 1 and session 2 of the root canal. I thought I'd developed an abscess or something but it was just inflammation apparently.


  • #2


    Hi, filling done last Friday, tooth ok normally, but any heat\cold is really painful. When should this settle??

    Thanks


  • #2


    hi i had a filling a few months back and have quite tender gum around the tooth, what can i do to stop this tenderness can be quite painful at times, was just at dentist a week or two ago on another job and mentioned it, she said rub sensodyne toothpaste into gum area and shut ssettle. still sore enough though


  • #2


    I think doing root canal is important as it will prevent food from sticking it in teeth but you have to do after root canal is to use caps which is artificial teeth after filling the POP


  • #2


    AvijitGoel wrote: »
    I think doing root canal is important as it will prevent food from sticking it in teeth but you have to do after root canal is to use caps which is artificial teeth after filling the POP

    jibberish




  • #2


    I’m getting a root canal at the end of the month. The I so so severe to cold drinks/ice cream. The tooth pain is so bad, I actually can’t wait to get it done but nervous too.

    Anyone get a root canal and what was it like?


Society & Culture