Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People who have pets but don't / rarely interact with them

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

Dolbert wrote: »
    Don't get me started on the people who completely neglect their pets the minute they have kids...
    - and they wonder why dogs get jelous.

Our dog actually runs the house, knows how to ask for what he wants and usually gets it. A spoiled boy and he knows it. Couldn't put him in a crate, ever. :mad: Can't imagine not having him bounding towards the door when I come in to insist I love him and never leave again :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Right now my neighbors dog is still barking and pining. He is never let out of his caged area with its dog house. Even when the children are out playing in the back yard during the day they don't let the dog out to play with them and he is pining and barking to get to join them. I don't know what the hell they have a dog for.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭VickieVexed

Our two doggies are our babies, plain and simple. It's not rocket science, if you don't want to love, take care of and have an animal be a part of the family, get a bl***y garden gnome.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,760 ✭✭✭omega man

Don't get me started on the people who completely neglect their pets the minute they have kids :mad: I understand that you're not gonna have the same amount of time for them as before, but this craic of suddenly putting the dog outside all the time because there's a kid in the house is just cruel.

Putting a dog outside is cruel? I'm assuming you mean a house type dog and not all dogs.

As someone who got a dog after having kids I think the integration is way better. I can kind of understand how someone with a dog who then has a first child could completely change their priorities. Looking after a child versus a dog is incomparable. In saying that there is absolutely no excuse for genuine neglect of a dog, nor any pet.

Leaving a dog outside more due to the arrival of a child is in no way neglect. We had another child after we had the dog a few years and she definitely is outside more but on the other hand we intentionally have her around the baby in our presence a lot so as to avoid any jealousy issues or indeed having her "put out" in any way. As much as I love the thing she's bottom of the hierarchy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Because people are cúnts who think a dog is just "a dog".

People make me sick sometimes. My Labrador (who is a pound rescue) is currently lieing at the end of the bed loving life ... He has a better life that me :rolleyes: little shîte doesn't even have a job :P

Sadly yes :(

We got ours from the rescue to. He's a collie/ Lab X. He's currwntly barking at foxes :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Some breeds of dog thrive outdoors, but if they live outside you have to make time for them. They need to be part of your pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Both are tied up at the back of the kitchen / conservatory on a one-metre lead

The owners should be made to spend three days in those conditions and reconsider if they really want 'pets'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Should really stop reading threads like this. Got both my rescue furries snuggled on top of me. Neither are pedigree, got a lurcher and a terrier cross and they are my shadows.
    All dogs want to do is please you, they are the most giving creatures and it breaks my frickin heart when I hear of people leaving them locked up like some ornament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Don't get me started on the people who completely neglect their pets the minute they have kids :mad: I understand that you're not gonna have the same amount of time for them as before, but this craic of suddenly putting the dog outside all the time because there's a kid in the house is just cruel.

Or the Donedeal classic "4 month old puppy for sale. Having a baby next month and just won't have the time".

Why get a puppy when you're 4 months pregnant if you're not going to have the time once the baby is born???

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Kobibd

council house-living

What is your issue with people that live in council houses? Anyone can use dogs as an accessory not just people in council houses so think about that.

• Advertisement

I never even knew there was a pet adoption section on Adverts. It's the most enraging thing.

"year old lucher greyhound cross good bitch on the lamp reason for getting rid iv no time at the moment."

Jesus. You would almost think they would be embarrassed to be so outwardly horrible.

"I'm moving from a house to an apartment"

How about this for an idea, move somewhere you can bring your dog.

Horrible people. And some of them have kids on the way :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

kneemos wrote: »
    Started a thread on this very topic some time ago in the Pet Forum,I would say the majority of replies felt it was OK to keep your dog locked up.

Not fair kneemos, you're taking that thread out of context here, and misrepresenting what was actually said in it by the majority.
    Broadly speaking this was that a dog run (as opposed to a crate) is a safe way to contain a dog temporarily whilst you're not at home to supervise, and that the dog should otherwise be spending time out of the run exercising, on walks, interacting with its owners, inside the house, having fun etc etc.
    To suggest that the users of the Animals and Pets forum condone a dog being "locked up" in the context you're implying is grossly unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

I have two Cavaliers. They sleep either in my room or in the kitchen. They are free to potter around the house but I generally close the bedroom doors as one like to jump and roll on freshly made beds. They get at least two walks a day, everyday. They even gave special coats to wear when it's raining. They get the best food, vets, toys, daily grooming, a warm place to sleep and lots of company and attention. They're both curled up on the couch now beside me, snoring away contentedly. :)

If you can't look after a dog properly do them a favour and don't get one in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    I never even knew there was a pet adoption section on Adverts. It's the most enraging thing.

"year old lucher greyhound cross good bitch on the lamp reason for getting rid iv no time at the moment."

Jesus. You would almost think they would be embarrassed to be so outwardly horrible.

"I'm moving from a house to an apartment"

How about this for an idea, move somewhere you can bring your dog.

Horrible people. And some of them have kids on the way :rolleyes:

I made the mistake of looking at that the other day, had to stop myself I was getting so cross.

I don't get the behaviour OP describes either, couldn't put my dog in a crate, but I do understand some people like to have them crate trained for sleeping and some situations. Mine are parasites, I'm in bed with the dog a dead weight on my legs as usual (in bed he turns into a floppy dead animal, tossed and lifted and rolled and squashed... And bumped sometimes :o), and I have my night cat on too:D

I do love to see the understated complicity of old folks with their pets sometimes, they're not in each other's faces/legs all day, but they're companionably going about their routine.

I don't agree with the comment about dogs in town. I don't approve of big energetic dogs in town either, but I think there's many a smaller dog very happy with their town life, once they're part of the family and walked plenty. Better a well treated dog in an appartement than a neglected dog in a rural backyard IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Bacon and Cabbage

I 100% agree that animal welfare is important and that people should care for their pets properly, but IMO, people can get a bit crazy sometimes when it comes to animals.

I recall a thread on here one time where the question posed was something like "Would you rather see a random human or random animal suffer", and there were seriously people arguing that they would rather see a human suffer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Ah yeah sure, there's a few going overboard alright. Generally though it's harmless enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,416 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

DBB wrote: »
    Not fair kneemos, you're taking that thread out of context here, and misrepresenting what was actually said in it by the majority.
    Broadly speaking this was that a dog run (as opposed to a crate) is a safe way to contain a dog temporarily whilst you're not at home to supervise, and that the dog should otherwise be spending time out of the run exercising, on walks, interacting with its owners, inside the house, having fun etc etc.
    To suggest that the users of the Animals and Pets forum condone a dog being "locked up" in the context you're implying is grossly unfair.

If you say so,but quite a few did.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Just had a look at that adoption section on adverts, can't believe the amount of dogs after becoming available in such a short period of time.

If only had the room to take another dog on.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭fonda

And why does my friend insist on pedigree dogs from farms? Is it a fashion thing? Why not a loyal companion from a pound? I hate this pedigree dig snobbery. But that's a different rant, sorry :-p

Why the snobbery about rescue dogs as well. It seems to me like having a rescue dog is the latest fashion trend and anyone who dosent get there dog from the pound is looked down on, is a bad pet owner, and is at some stage going to abandon it.

I have a pedigree dog, seen a picture of her and wanted her, had no idea it was a full pedigree until I picked it up. Have had her 7 years, relocated her to two different countries and would never dream of neglecting or giving her away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Our next door neighbour (elderly woman and middle age son) have a beautiful German Shepherd....it's fed and watered and that's it, very little human contact and no excercise....spends it's days in a fenced in concrete garden, poor fella hasn't even a bit of grass to defecate in ......I'm often of a mind to jump the wall and bring him to a local park to stretch his legs but hay ho he has food and water, the bare minimum legal requirement for an animal.....what a waste

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,416 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Our next door neighbour (elderly woman and middle age son) have a beautiful German Shepherd....it's fed and watered and that's it, very little human contact and no excercise....spends it's days in a fenced in concrete garden, poor fella hasn't even a bit of grass to defecate in ......I'm often of a mind to jump the wall and bring him to a local park to stretch his legs but hay ho he has food and water, the bare minimum legal requirement for an animal.....what a waste

Might not mind if you wanted to walk the dog?

kneemos wrote: »
    Might not mind if you wanted to walk the dog?

To be absolute honest I can barely look at them let alone talk to them so that might prove tricky

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

If you are sure the dog has no food or water, i.e being neglected. then it's time to make a call.................

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Log on to Adverts or DoneDeal and look at the Pet Adoption sections under dogs. The amount of Huskies / Malamutes / Akitas you see is sickening. These were once something of an exotic breed that were almost exclusively owned and raised by experienced breeders. But somewhere along the line, they became the new Pitbull.

I live next door to an Akita. Absolutely beautiful dog. He is kept in at night, fed and watered, but is given absolutely NO exercise. A path is worn through the grass in the garden he spends his days in. He barks incessantly because he is bored. He tries to jump the fence into another neighbouring garden because they also have a dog. He was launching himself at the fence between the two houses for ages last night. This is the only exercise he gets.

The owners will piss off for the day leaving the back door open so he can get in and out, I can hear him scratching the internal doors when I am out in my own back garden.

These are muscular dogs, bred for pulling things...they have tons of energy! They're not meant to be abandoned in tiny back gardens by lazy-ass owners who thought the fluffy pup they got a couple of years ago was "Cute"...

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    If you are sure the dog has no food or water, i.e being neglected. then it's time to make a call.................

No I said it has food and water, there's a dog box and bedding so no grounds for complaint.....just has very little human contact and no excercise, has to **** and piss on hard concrete ground....totally unatural surroundings for a dog

I 100% agree that animal welfare is important and that people should care for their pets properly, but IMO, people can get a bit crazy sometimes when it comes to animals.

I recall a thread on here one time where the question posed was something like "Would you rather see a random human or random animal suffer", and there were seriously people arguing that they would rather see a human suffer

Here's a shocker - we're animals too. Just when we're being mistreated we can communicate the fact. What makes you think that it's preferable to mistreat an animal over a human? I would say they're equally bad. We all have the same feelings and emotions, the only difference being that humans think they're greeeaaat.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,911 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

People who buy pets at CHRISTMAS for kids, despite all the warnings not to, deserve a special place in hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

No I said it has food and water, there's a dog box and bedding so no grounds for complaint.....just has very little human contact and no excercise, has to **** and piss on hard concrete ground....totally unatural surroundings for a dog

Sorry, my mistake (Specsavers here I come)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Bacon and Cabbage

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    Here's a shocker - we're animals too. Just when we're being mistreated we can communicate the fact. What makes you think that it's preferable to mistreat an animal over a human? I would say they're equally bad. We all have the same feelings and emotions, the only difference being that humans think they're greeeaaat.

So you would not save a human from suffering before an animal?

• Advertisement

So you would not save a human from suffering before an animal?

I didn't say that. But while we're on the topic, what is your reasoning for saving either over the other?

Advertisement