Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People who have pets but don't / rarely interact with them

Options
  • 18-08-2014 3:57pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 72 ✭✭

A friend of mine has two dogs, he's only ever had pure-breed pedigree dogs.

This time he has a Pug and a Labrador.

Whenever I'm in the house, the dogs are always locked up in a cage in the back of the kitchen. I asked him is it just when guests are around and he said no. He doesn't want the dogs roaming around the house or on the furniture. The dogs are either locked up in the cage or out the back. Why have a dog if you're going to treat it like this.

An ex-girlfriend of mine has an Alsatian mix, a pure dote of a thing and a jack russell. Both are tied up at the back of the kitchen / conservatory on a one-metre lead (or at least they always were in the two years I was seeing her).

Why do people treat sentient creatures like this?

And why does my friend insist on pedigree dogs from farms? Is it a fashion thing? Why not a loyal companion from a pound? I hate this pedigree dig snobbery. But that's a different rant, sorry :-p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

at Least their not kept outside .... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

It’s because there are a large number of pet owners out there who are, to put it mildly, very thick and ignorant. They see pets as accessories, something to make them feel good or cheer up. It’s nothing to do with giving the dog a good quality of life and raising it. It’s just selfishness – “I want a dog for my benefit”.

Log on to Adverts or DoneDeal and look at the Pet Adoption sections under dogs. The amount of Huskies / Malamutes / Akitas you see is sickening. These were once something of an exotic breed that were almost exclusively owned and raised by experienced breeders. But somewhere along the line, they became the new Pitbull. That is, the breed of dog of choice of tracksuit-wearing, council house-living, benefits-claiming, “Aww lyk if u cried hun xxx”-posting idiots. A few of them got their hands on Huskies, and now they breed them with their scumbag friends’ dogs and suddenly, there’s an abundance of these fabulous breeds in the hands of absolute cretins.

No doubt it’s because they “luk bleedin dedly” and needless to say, getting said dog was not researched one bit. And shock horror, these dogs aren’t happy being chained up in a box garden in some housing estate, being fed cheap food and taken for a walk once every few days when the owner wants to show off their “cool” dog.

So the dog starts acting up, naturally. And up he goes on Adverts with one of the few excuses you see on there. Either “we don’t have time for him”, “we have a (7th) child on the way” or “we’re emigrating”. The vast majority of these reasons are made up, they just want rid of the dog. And the hypocrisy of adding “we only want him to go to a loving home” is not lost on me either. How noble of you to look out for your dog’s best interests while you’re fúcking him out of his home because you got fed up.

And of course these ads are then answered by the same breed of person who wants a deadly looking dog.

I want a huskie. I've wanted one for as long as I can remember. But I live in an apartment and there's no way I could give the dog the environment it needs. Such a simple concept that's lost on an increasing number of selfish **** in Ireland.

Oh how I wish dog licenses were properly enforced, but not for the reason of raking in extra money for the Government, but rather for Animal Welfare reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I said it before and I'll say it again, and I know it's unpopular, but I don't think anyone should have a dog if it doesn't have at least half an acre of ground to run about in.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Reebrock

My Dog is free to go wherever he wants in the home. He goes for one walk a day and gets a fair bit of attention if he comes for it. But I'll say when I'm crashed out watching TV, he tends to just bugger off and do his own thing (namely sleep). I often think if I went to play with him at moments like that he would love it, alas, his tired human just slumps watching the TV.

I'm an 8/10 pet owner. Safe home, fed, loved. There are MUCH better pet owners than me however. But yeah, I'd never lock my dog in a cage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Because people are cúnts who think a dog is just "a dog".

People make me sick sometimes. My Labrador (who is a pound rescue) is currently lieing at the end of the bed loving life ... He has a better life that me :rolleyes: little shîte doesn't even have a job :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I have a dog and she has the run of the entire house, it's her home as much as it is ours, and I couldn't imagine keeping her in a cage :( I don't know how people could do that.

I said it before and I'll say it again, and I know it's unpopular, but I don't think anyone should have a dog if it doesn't have at least half an acre of ground to run about in.

There would be very few dogs living with people if this were the case. Your vision isn't exactly in line with reality my friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

I think it is cruel if they don't have the space to run about or the interaction.
    I don't have a dog anymore, but I have rabbits still, and the many people who leave them in hutches and only go out to feed them is awful, they need human contact to stay sane.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭verywell

Whenever I'm in the house, the dogs are always locked up in a cage in the back of the kitchen. I asked him is it just when guests are around and he said no. He doesn't want the dogs roaming around the house or on the furniture. The dogs are either locked up in the cage or out the back. Why have a dog if you're going to treat it like this.

An ex-girlfriend of mine has an Alsatian mix, a pure dote of a thing and a jack russell. Both are tied up at the back of the kitchen / conservatory on a one-metre lead (or at least they always were in the two years I was seeing her).

And why does my friend insist on pedigree dogs from farms? Is it a fashion thing? Why not a loyal companion from a pound? I hate this pedigree dig snobbery. But that's a different rant, sorry :-p

The time to help the poor animals is when you see these things happen. They deserve better treatment than this type of BS :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I don't think anyone should have a dog if it doesn't have at least half an acre of ground to run about in.

I disagree, I walk my dog 4 to 5 times a day, she gets to run around in the park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

You should log on to Adverts or Done Deal and look at the Pets for Adoption section. Makes me sick the number of Huskies / Malamutes /

Why is it people that get Huskies dont seem to walk them enough. Its a sled dog. It needs excercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

They all look the same, must be inbred to ****. I love little mutts, they have more character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Reebrock wrote: »
    There would be very few dogs living with people if this were the case. Your vision isn't exactly in line with reality my friend.

I know, it's just my opinion is all.

Links234 wrote: »
    I disagree, I walk my dog 4 to 5 times a day, she gets to run around in the park.

The Backwards Man implies PERSONAL 1/2 acre.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Pedigree dogs are a form of species abuse in my books. I think if a dog spends a large part of it's day inside then you don't have the kind of lifestyle that suits having a dog. Dogs in cities I don't get at all, they just seem to be fashion accessories to people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

Is he crate training them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

ScumLord wrote: »
    Pedigree dogs are a form of species abuse in my books. I think if a dog spends a large part of it's day inside then you don't have the kind of lifestyle that suits having a dog. Dogs in cities I don't get at all, they just seem to be fashion accessories to people.

Especially breeds like bulldogs, pugs and King Charles to say the least. So many of them die of horrible genetic diseases and have a poorer quality of life than they deserve.

Shur pugs and bulldogs' faces are so flat and deformed they can't even breath properly -couple that with their low life expectancy and it's pretty unfair life to bestow on them.

People should be after mixed breed dogs, they're the true healthy dogs.
    I used to like the idea of pure breeds, but not so much anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

People who have pets but don't / rarely interact with them

...should not be allowed have kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    Especially breeds like bulldogs, pugs and King Charles to say the least. So many of them die of horrible genetic diseases and have a poorer quality of life than they deserve.

Shur pugs and bulldogs' faces are so flat and deformed they can't even breath properly -couple that with their low life expectancy and it's pretty unfair life to bestow on them.

People should be after mixed breed dogs, they're the true healthy dogs.
    I used to like the idea of pure breeds, but not so much anymore.
    All the dogs I remember fondly were mutts. They all had great personalities which were warm and unique. The did seem very happy too.

---

I have a tortoise who i like to interact with as much as I can, but he can only take so much, then blanks me and goes for a dig and a sleep :D

King charles and pugs suffer from much worse. Small, smart dogs can get some horribly painful conditions, the worst of which is Syringomyelia where the skull is too small and the brain gets crushed. It's apparently one of the worst pains a creature can suffer through.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

ScumLord wrote: »
    King charles and pugs suffer from much worse. Small, smart dogs can get some horribly painful conditions, the worst of which is Syringomyelia where the skull is too small and the brain gets crushed. It's apparently one of the worst pains a creature can suffer through.
    Yeah I've read about that recently. Horrible stuff.

Chihuahuas' skulls are the only ones of their kind not to have fully fused plates, and like human babies, have soft spots that need time to fuse, which makes them ridiculously prone to hurting themselves for 6 months of their lives. Sometimes their skulls don't fuse at all even. All that and they're very susceptible to neurological diseases and conditions like seizures, which makes me wonder what's the point of having one?

If you really cared about your future dog you'd avoid a pure breed and get a cross. So much healthier, but then again, humans are superficial, vain, and won't care as long as it looks cute.

If you really cared about your future dog you'd avoid a pure breed and get a cross. So much healthier, but then again, humans are superficial, vain, and won't care as long as it looks cute.
    I think it's more a case of people don't realise what they're doing. They just see a cute puppy and ignore the obvious inbreeding and factory breeding.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

I would disagree Backwards Man. For a big dog like a setter, collie, labrador, etc, I agree that these guys need lots of space to run free (well actually all dogs do) but my mother has always had a dog and they have always had a quality life. She has a modest back garden, about 30ft x 20ft with some shade at the end, and that's where the dog goes for a piss or to chew a bone or snarl at pigeons. There's a green across the road and a park close by so the dogs have always had plenty of exercise and room to play. Mind you my mother has always had smaller dogs (Cairn Terrier, Jack Russell, Corgi) so mybe they don't get stir crazy in a house like a bloody Great Dane might.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,416 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Started a thread on this very topic some time ago in the Pet Forum,I would say the majority of replies felt it was OK to keep your dog locked up.
    Started the same thread here a while ago and the majority of replies felt it was wrong.
    No idea what it means but there ya go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

I know, it's just my opinion is all.

I work to place ex-racing Greyhounds in homes. Ireland not only produces more Greyhounds than any other breed, but they also produce more Greyhounds than any other country in the world according to the Irish Coursing Club. Many spend the earliest part of their lives spending up to 22 hours a day in a crate that is 3'X4' on a good day. If we waited for folks with half an acre of land or more to adopt these hounds after their careers are over, the trainers, syndicates/owners wouldn't even bother dealing with us. It's slow enough as it is finding these hounds decent homes. Your opinion is backwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

Reindeer wrote: »
    I work to place ex-racing Greyhounds in homes. Ireland not only produces more Greyhounds than any other breed, but they also produce more Greyhounds than any other country in the world according to the Irish Coursing Club. Many spend the earliest part of their lives spending up to 22 hours a day in a crate that is 3'X4' on a good day. If we waited for folks with half an acre of land or more to adopt these hounds after their careers are over, the trainers, syndicates/owners wouldn't even bother dealing with us. It's slow enough as it is finding these hounds decent homes. Your opinion is backwards.

And most greyhounds wouldn't give a stuff about having half an acre, they'd be far more interested in hogging the sofa all day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Don't get me started on the people who completely neglect their pets the minute they have kids :mad: I understand that you're not gonna have the same amount of time for them as before, but this craic of suddenly putting the dog outside all the time because there's a kid in the house is just cruel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 72 ✭✭The Singing Beard

Animal cruelty laws should be more severe with a dedicated animal-welfare police like they have in some countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

I talk to my dog more than I talk to my husband :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I adore dogs, but that's the very reason I don't have one. Myself and my OH are out of the house ten hours a day. Leaving a dog alone all that time just isn't right.

I feel the same about guinea pigs. I know a lot of people buy them for their kids as "starter pets", to teach them responsibility or whatever. But inevitably what happens if they get left down the bottom of the garden and get a bowl of food thrown in once a day - if they're lucky - and kids learn that pets are disposable and replaceable.

I currently have eleven piggies and they are so much fun. They're my little pals, always excited to see me, and they communicate with a relatively complex language for a rodent, so listening to their little conversations is gas. It makes me sad to know that right this second there are hundreds, if not thousands, of those little guys in hutches all over the country without even a friend of their own species to communicate with.

Advertisement