Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CookieCat's Study Log

Options
  • 17-08-2014 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

So I've decided to try and do a study log! :) I'm going into 5th year this year and hopefully it's a good year for me. I hope to do medicine, which is partly why I decided to start a study log, because I know how hard I'll have to work to get what I want. I don't want to go too much overboard with the study in 5th year because I burned out when I did it in 3rd year and I certainly don't want that to happen to me again! So hopefully I'll have a clear overview of how much work I've done when I try to record my daily efforts.

Here are my subjects:
    English(H)
    Irish(H)
    Maths(H)
    French(H)
    Biology(H)
    Chemistry(H)
    Business(H)

I'm thinking about taking Ag. Science outside of school because my school offers it as an extra-curricular subject, but I'll see how I handle the subjects I have at the minute for a while.

My Study log will be different to others, as it will have more than just what I study. I will write about other things I do during 5th year, which will help show readers how important it is to have a varied lifestyle, so that you don't spend your whole year studying, especially when it's 5th year! Some examples of the extra things I could be posting could be my hobbies like football training or piano practice etc. However study/school work will be the central topic of each log (Hopefully!:P)

After doing TY I'm motivated more than ever to work hard to get what I want! But for now I'll enjoy the last couple of days before school to relax, I'll see you again on the 1st of September! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

I'll be tagging along. It'd sure be interesting to have insight on someone else who is also in 5th year.

Roll on the leaving cert! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭CookieCat97

I'll be tagging along. It'd sure be interesting to have insight on someone else who is also in 5th year.

Roll on the leaving cert! :D

You should try making your own! :) I made it because I thought it'd make me more focused :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

You should try making your own! :) I made it because I thought it'd make me more focused :P

Maybe one day, but I have everything done mentally ... if that makes sense.

Maybe one day, but I have everything done mentally ... if that makes sense.

Perfect sense! ;) At the minute I'm mentally ready, I'm just not sure how long it'll last :P

Had my first full day back today! Got put in a nice class along with one of my best friends and I got most of the teachers I hoped for! First full day back was super tiring! Came home with a tired/ dehydrated headache so I decided to have a quick 2 hour power nap! Went for a 15 minute jog as well to clear my head before bed.
    1/09/14
    Did my homework
    Irish: Looked at a 4 page example of an essay written about 'Problems in Ireland' and used it as a comprehension by reading through it, looking up words and writing them down in my personal 'Foclóir.'

• Advertisement

Harder than I thought to have time to post things! I'm so tired that I just end up going to bed super early!
    2/09/14
    Homework
    Maths: Practiced what we did in class

Been feeling under the weather these past three days! Just trying to do whatever will get me by, aka just the homework for the next day. Hopefully today I will catch up on everything that needs to be done for next week. I'm away on a youth trip to Donegal on Saturday and Sunday so I wont be able to homework or study then.
    We get home early on a Friday and at the minute I'm just doing an exam to finish of an online course about social psychology that I was taking during the summer. I'm getting a ton of homework and I really hope I get used to it better next week.

08/09/14
    Homework

09/09/14
    Homework
    Biology: made notes and learned all of the first chapter. 'What is biology?'

10/09/14
    Homework
    French: Did 10 minutes of tape-work. Looked back over all the different tenses I had learned for the Junior cert. Practiced some oral work for 30 minutes.

• Advertisement

11/09/14
    Homework
    Gaelic

12/09/14
    Homework
    Sorted out my study folders

Planning to do loads of study at the weekends isn't happening at all! Just so busy at the weekends!
    15/09/14
    Missed a couple of classes today because of choir practice and orthodontist but caught up on all the work! Did after school basketball and practiced piano (busy little day!)
    Homework
    Business: People in Business (we've a test coming up on Wednesday so I'm doing a lot of work on that chapter)

16/09/14
    Homework
    Business: studied people in business for the test tomorrow
    Brainstormed my idea for the young scientist

17/09/14
    Homework
    Basketball

18/09/14
    Got 100% in my Business test, all the study was worth it. Gives me high hopes for the year!
    Homework
    Irish: Learned some essay phrases (for Irish Economy)
    Maths: practiced factorizing and the difference + sum of two cubes
    English: Created a quote profile for King Lear, added quotes from Act. 1 Scene. 1 Hopefully I'll get some of them learned at the weekend!

19/09/14
    I had two football trainings last night: one for seniors and a small one for minors along with a meeting and team talk since we are in a division 1 final today!
    Homework
    Biology: started making notes on the characteristics of life.
    I've two tests on Monday (French and Biology) So any time I get this weekend will be studying for them

20/09/2014
    We ended up drawing the final today which means a replay sometime in the next week! It was a really tight game.
    Biology: Finished notes on characteristics of life. Learned the first 2 chapters.
    French: Learned Vocab, le present, did a practise close test and CV.
    English: Made character profiles and finished writing out quotes for the first two scenes.
    LCVP: Made my CV in the format that they wanted it in.

21/09/14
    Had piano lesson
    Watched the match
    Had a Comhairle na nÓg meeting (We're planning for an AGM)
    Irish: Learned some good phrases to use in essays
    Business: Learned about contracts
    French: Studied for test
    Biology: Studied for test
    Maths: Practiced what I did in class since 5th year started

22/09/14
    It was my birthday day! I'm 17. I decided to just relax tonight after I finished my homework as a birthday treat. I signed up on a UCD website and I ordered a prospectus so I can have a look at what it's like.
    Homework

• Advertisement

28/09/14
    Wow! haven't posted in nearly a week! Just shows how busy I've been. I was out of a lot of classes this week because of the opening service we had on Friday (thank God it's over an absolute weight of my shoulders! I was practically running it I was doing so much at it: acting, singing, playing piano)which is why I've been so busy catching up on missed work. Since I've last written I've found out that I was elected prefect and I got unto the library committee!
    Was in Dublin all of Saturday taking part in the 'Theatre of Shadows' a live fan event organised in the world of 'Skulduggery Pleasant'. They're truly fab books! I won tickets in a competition to it and took my cousin, we relived our childhood hopes of meeting Derek Landy and all was good.... until today came along were I had piano and a comhairle na nóg meeting for half the day and was plunged back into reality were I had a 4 A4 pages irish essay due for tomorrow and a maths test to study for. So I was down in the books any chance I had today!

Laughing reading back looking at how busy the start of 5th year was for me :P It continued to be busy but I tried to balance everything and keep my head down at the same time! :)
    I studied really hard for the summer tests and even though I said I would do a little bit of study over the summer I decided to take the whole month of June to relax as a reward.
    Here are my summer results if anyone's interested: :) (I know that it's no where near the real thing but it's a stepping stone right? :D)

English: 99%
    Irish: 94%
    Maths: 95%
    French: 92%
    Business: 96%
    Biology: 94%
    Chemistry: 95%
    LCVP: 100%

All A1's 625 points!

I still have my heart set on doing medicine and I'm not afraid to put the work in to try and get it.
    Over the summer I'm going to make sure all my notes are up to date and that everything is refreshed in my mind. Most important of all I'm going to get a head start with HPAT revision becasue I don't want to leave it all to the last minute when I'm uber stressed. :P (Plus I have a feeling that I'm going to need a lot of work with it! :( )

So hopefully I'll be posting here more often, logging my progress! :)

oh and the search for a summer job continues :p I might get into the local chicken factory, I have my fingers crossed anyway! Chickens anyone? :cool:

ok well this pretty much depicts the amount of school work I've done all summer! I've been super busy all summer and I ended up getting a summer job! There's two weeks left and I'm starting to get scared about going back to school with so little work done over the summer!
    At the weekend I did however get stuck into some HPAT notes my neighbour gave me :)

15/08/15
    Sorted out my new HPAT notes
    Studied and practiced some questions from section 1 and 2

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Manufan123

Im going to follow this thread even though im only going into 5th year.I was reading through the thread and was wondering hiw much study on average were you doing every evening?

Manufan123 wrote: »
    Im going to follow this thread even though im only going into 5th year.I was reading through the thread and was wondering hiw much study on average were you doing every evening?

I don't know if it will be much use to you seeing as how bad I am at keeping this study log but thanks all the same for the follow! :P
    I was quite busy in 5th year extra-curricular wise so my main goal was to keep all of them up while trying to juggle study as well!

I never had a set amount of study time tbh but I would estimate that I spent about 2-3 hours a night on homework/study. So a night with a lot of homework had not much study and a night with little homework had lots of study.
    On Fridays I just did my homework and gave myself a break for the rest of the evening. My weekends would depend on what I'm doing/ what class tests I would have the following week and what time of year it was like obviously you'd be flat out around Christmas and summer (for tests) but it wouldn't be as intense at other times around the year.

I'm gonna wish you all the best with 5th year! It's a good year I promise ;) Keep your head down and you'll soar through it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Manufan123

Yeah between gym and county minor my spare time will be vital.

Manufan123 wrote: »
    Yeah between gym and county minor my spare time will be vital.

My advice to you is NEVER EVER give it up because it'll probably actually motivate you to work harder, when you have the free time you'll realise that you have to study in it :P I remember playing in an ulster final last year the weekend before my Christmas exams and it was the most stressed I've ever seen myself. Everything turned out grand for me in the end (we won the final and my tests went great! :cool:) so hopefully everything will work out the best for you! :)

25/08/2015
    Chemistry: Made notes and learned chapter on electrons
    Business: Learned chapter on Business opportunities and Break even analysis
    Did a sample timed exam for section 3 of the HPAT :)

• Advertisement

Attempting to resurrect this for study motivation :p I can't afford to procrastinate during these two and a half weeks holidays :eek:

I still plan on doing medicine, my mocks went really well and I ended up doing way better than I thought I would! :D The HPAT was the total opposite (I felt like it went horribly, but to be honest, I won't really know exactly how I did until I get my results at the end of June! Trying to stay positive and keeping my fingers crossed though!!)

18/03/16
    English: Yeats poetry essay.
    Irish: Revised two SP's and wrote up oral stuff for the education system.
    Maths: Managed to get my hands on the other mock paper from a friend (that my school didn't sit) and did 3 questions from it.
    Biology: Made notes on kidneys and excretion.
    Chemistry: Revised history of atom and the periodic table.

Advertisement