Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is there any main brand of car you simply won't buy?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Regardless, you bought a ford focus diesel but you wouldnt buy a lexus?
    That's just nonsensical tbh.

So a 1.6 diesel focus is better than an ls400 or a sc430, or the IS range?
    Idiotic IMO - you should really think before you post sometimes.

I never once said it was better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

What's loathsome about an m5?

Idiot :rolleyes:

Everything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ralphdejones

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Experience taught me that discounting any brand as "I would never own one" is a very, very, very silly thing to do.

I never liked much of the BMW design, thought "I'd never have one", then the E90 came out and I liked it - came within an inch from buying a 320i back in October.

I would say "I'd never buy a Toyota, dullest things on wheels", then the GT86 came out.

I could go on forever, I'm sure I could find examples for many of the brands.

Also, it is worth noticing that most people base their "I would never own a..." on hearsay, "common knowledge" about some brand reportedly being "unreliable"; A few had actually bad experiences, sometimes out of sheer bad luck, sometimes out of the "turn the key and go" attitude.

Which nicely illustrates that it's actual model that really determines if it's a good car or not, not the make or nationality.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

djimi wrote: »
    Seriously? I know of several people who have had terrible experiences with Rover for example. I have never driven one myself, and perhaps they are truely wonderful cars and I just know lots of unlucky people, but christ Id sooner walk than ever spend my hard earned money on one based on what I have seen of them.

I fail to believe for a second that if you knew of a brand/model of car that people that you knew were having trouble with that you wouldnt steer well clear of it.

Fair enough, i probably phrased what i meant badly. I wouldnt write a car off cause one said its bad but if many people did then it may affect my choice. If i listened to all the crap that was said about alfas or fiat id never have owned them but they have been the most reliable cars ive had

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

bear1 wrote: »
    Fair enough, i probably phrased what i meant badly. I wouldnt write a car off cause one said its bad but if many people did then it may affect my choice. If i listened to all the crap that was said about alfas or fiat id never have owned them but they have been the most reliable cars ive had

Thats fair enough. There is a difference between seeing the problems first hand (through a friend/family member) and listening to "man in the pub" talk.

That said, I had a Fiat and it was a bit of a disaster, as was the Alfa that nearly broke my colleagues heart, so read into that what you will :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

Japanese cars are extremely reliable, I have photos of some nice Lexus cars but cant upload them, 5 litre f sports, clearly not as good as a daysul focus. I am seriously considering selling mine for the aul cheap tax and daysul spirit.

Hachiko wrote: »
    Japanese cars are extremely reliable

I've seen many Nissans and and quite a few of the more recent Toyotas give a load of bother. The actual model and the engine fitted is a much better guide than make or nationality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Mazda/Mazda MPS, Lexus, Mitsubishi, Subaru, Honda petrols, all these are pretty bomb proof once looked after. I got a is250 and its superb. A lot of people are absolutely rose tinted towards German cars. Its like they suffer from some serious peripheral vision problems and cant see the world past Germany. Anything after that part of Europe doesn't exist.

• Advertisement

Hachiko wrote: »
    Mazda/Mazda MPS, Lexus, Mitsubishi, Subaru, Honda petrols, all these are pretty bomb proof once looked after. I got a is250 and its superb. A lot of people are absolutely rose tinted towards German cars. Its like they suffer from some serious peripheral vision problems and cant see the world past Germany. Anything after that part of Europe doesn't exist.

Jap lovers have the same bother

I have had a few BMWs and Fords too btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Experience taught me that discounting any brand as "I would never own one" is a very, very, very silly thing to do.

I never liked much of the BMW design, thought "I'd never have one", then the E90 came out and I liked it - came within an inch from buying a 320i back in October.

I would say "I'd never buy a Toyota, dullest things on wheels", then the GT86 came out.

I could go on forever, I'm sure I could find examples for many of the brands.

Also, it is worth noticing that most people base their "I would never own a..." on hearsay, "common knowledge" about some brand reportedly being "unreliable"; A few had actually bad experiences, sometimes out of sheer bad luck, sometimes out of the "turn the key and go" attitude.

Would you buy a Ssangyong?

I've never seen a model I like so at the moment no, but if they ever bring out a decent reliable model at a good price why not ? I feel the same about lots of other makes. The model is the determining factor for me, not the plastic makers badge on the front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Be the Chairman in your very own Chairman :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

That's cool. But to me if a brand hasn't a single car that id even remotely consider, over several years of production, with a poor image and bottom of the ladder status, that's grounds for dismissing the brand entirely.

oh the rexton

worst car ever.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

A lot of it is "Me da's uncle's cousing had one in the 70's, awful yoke, dey're all shoite, would never own one!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

A lot of it is "Me da's uncle's cousing had one in the 70's, awful yoke, dey're all shoite, would never own one!"

Indeed, I'm still seething at FIAT for the Ritmo.......

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

If they came out with something I like (and by like I mean the way it drives - make no mistake, the Toyota GT86 for example still looks cr@p like most Toyotas, but at least the driving makes up for it), I don't see why not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Musso for the win

JC01 wrote: »
    I don't think that's why there's so much French-hate on here. This forum has mostly car-people on it and I'd say like myself a lot of car people hate the soulless plastic econoboxes that the French manufacturers pump out.

Mostly car-people on boards? Lol, must be the joke of the century:D. Most of the threads here are:

- Complaints about other drivers going too fasshhhht;
    - High horse moralists willing to report their granny for driving her wheelchair without a safety helmet;
    - People declaring the Skoda Octavia is the best car ever made;
    - People salivating about a Civic's boot space (and crying about the aforementioned Octavia's loss of a record);
    - Random Alfa-Fiat-Renault-Peugeot bashing;
    - People claiming a Ford Focus is more stylish than an Alfa or a Lexus;

As Yoda would say, "Few BMW fanatics car-people place boards do not make!" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

BMW, overpriced junk.

Mostly car-people on boards? Lol, must be the joke of the century:D. Most of the threads here are:

- High horse moralists willing to report their granny for driving her wheelchair without a safety helmet;
    - People salivating about a Civic's boot space (and crying about the aforementioned Octavia's loss of a record);

Dumbest post of the thread so far. It took longer than usual for a Troll to arrive, a bit like trains I suppose:cool::cool:

jca wrote: »
    BMW, overpriced junk.
    jca wrote: »
    Dumbest post of the thread so far. It took longer than usual for a Troll to arrive, a bit like trains I suppose:cool::cool:

Brilliant, entering the thread on page 14 with such interesting contributions. And spectacular sense of humor to booth :D

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭JC01

Well feck it anyways you've ruined my point...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Lada. Anyone?:P

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    Indeed, I'm still seething at FIAT for the Ritmo.......

:D

Mark. 1 was decent for the time.
    105tc was a beauty.

Brilliant, entering the thread on page 14 with such interesting contributions. And spectacular sense of humor to booth :D

Photo booth? Hence the smiley face I presume?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Judging by this thread youd swear this is something that is unique to motoring...

Its human nature; you hear of people having a bad experience with anything and you tend to naturally (and understandably) steer clear of whatever it was. Everyone does it, despite what they might say or think. Best mate didnt enjoy their trip to Portugal? You wont be going there. Uncle John and Aunty Mary ate at such and such restaurant and said the food wasnt great and it was a bit expensive? Youre not likely to be paying it a visit any time soon. Such is life.

Advertisement