Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is there any main brand of car you simply won't buy?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Tails142 wrote: »
    there are a few Peugeots in the family and they are grand enough cars except for the handling and clutch feel.

Oddly I would have thought that Peugeots were often noted for being good handling cars traditionally anyways as per any motoring mag I would have read, they always would have got the top marks for handling in their class.

Odd that a few people specifically mention Peugeot though as there are some decent Pugs out there. From the past we have the legendary 205 gti. Many would agree that the 406 hdi was a very good car ad well capable of racking up high mileage. I always thought that the sportier 306's were fantastic looking cars. The Peugeot XUD diesel engines are often recognised as great engines for their day too.

I myself wouldn't hold allegiance to any particular brands or there wouldn't be brands I'd avoid. Would moreso avoid certain models.

I notice some people seem to be particularly loyal to certain brands. Ford and VW are two that stand out. Irrespective of getting grief from one of them they would still seem to go back to them. More would seem very loyal to Japanese or Korean cars

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Bigus

Some cool cars your excluding with a blanket ban like that kopper

Kia
    Jeep- original Cherokee
    Fiat- Dino-20v coupe-130coupe-Barchetta -128 3P
    Alfa-original spider-alfa4C-75V6 3.0- original Gtv-
    Toyota-gt86 1+2,-supra-MR2-GT4
    Bmw-M1-M3-M-5,2002tii
    Lexus LS430
    Daihatsu-charade gtti
    Daewoo
    Nissan-350z-240z-GTR
    Mitsubishi-evo
    Renault-clio 172-182-197-megane225
    Dacia
    Peugeot 205gti
    Citreon- C6-original DS
    Seat-cupra
    Chrysler- Prowler
    opel/vauxhall montaro- opc Opels manta 400

To name just a small few iconic cars by those manufacturers.
    But that's just me...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Quazzie wrote: »
    I do think though you need to sit inside a Lexus again though. It's a nice play to be.

Current model IS is good but the last model really was not a nice place to be.
    Far far too much avensis feel to it and that is not a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Haha bigus you leave Daewoo and Dacia in there. Presumably by that you are implying that you think all Daewoo and Dacia models are cool:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Brother in law worked in a renault garage for a few years and as he always used to say not one of the mechanics drove a renault, that says it all really :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I would drive most cars but would never own;
    citroen
    vauxhall
    peugeot
    Opel
    Seat
    VW
    I would have said Ford but they have the ST and the Mustang
    Kia
    Hyundai
    Dawoo
    Daihatsu
    Chevrolet
    Fiat

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Same goes for mercs.

I used hate mercs, then the OH got an older E class last year.

My god, the comfort, the sheer sense of being in a big solid car is lovely.

I drive an alfa gtv, so it's a bit of a difference. If I've to drive a long distance now I'd choose the merc anyday.

For me it would be hyundai, I remember them from the early 2000s and always thought of them as badly built, despite knowing people who love them now.

I've also had VWs, Fiats, a Daewoo, Citroen, and Renault.

Outside of Hyundai, no real hates, though I drove a five series recently and hated it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Brother in law worked in a renault garage for a few years and as he always used to say not one of the mechanics drove a renault, that says it all really :)

anything French or Italian is generally a big no-no.

Will not buy FIATS. My father and uncle let out ? from their jobs in that company. Not buying BMW, false prestige cars - furs coat and no pants :D

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

Haha, my cousin works in an Audi garage and none of the mechanics drive Audis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Will not buy FIATS. My father and uncle let out ? from their jobs in that company. Not buying BMW, false prestige cars - furs coat and no pants :D

BMWs are too common these days to be considered a prestige badge, at least in this country. :D

While FIAT = FixItAgainTony

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

I don't think there is any Fiat I could imagine owning and I wouldn't be a big fan of Nissan either, certainly the cars anyway. Patrol and Pathfinder would be a different story.

One thing I never liked is the inside of Opels...the big flat plastic dashboards, they all seemed to be the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

BMW. Loathsome owners.

Corrected that for you. :D

I've owned a Ford (2000 Focus), Toyota (2004 Rav4) and now own a Peugeot (2006 407). All have been much the same to me. I've driven a rake of other cars here and there too (Passat, A4, Megane, 206, etc) and a few vans.

I find the Peugeot to be the smoothest ride of all the cars/vans I've been in. Seems to glide over poor road surfaces, pot holes, etc. Not sure how it's built any differently to any other cars, but most of my passengers have remarked on it, also. It's very good.

Out from that they've all been much the same, really. Each car I get into goes both forward and back when I want it to.

The Peugeot 407 has only been mine about 2 months, though, so it's entirely possible I've a money pit ahead of me, but so far, so good, really..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Odd that a few people specifically mention Peugeot though as there are some decent Pugs out there.

Wasn't the older 406 coupe designed by Pininfarina?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Ssangyong - awful named awful looking cars
    Rover - grandad cars
    Vauxhall - repmobiles or people carriers

Not sure why there's so much anti-pug sentiment here. My 307 was a grand car until it died around 150k, and the wife has a 407 estate. Both nice cars to look at and not had to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

The only car I'd probably not buy is a Dacia and maybe some of the stuff that came out of the eastern block.
    Nothing interesting that I can think of or that I'd want from the Koreans either.

However the rest of the main manufacturers have produced cars that I'd have an interest in buying.
    To write off the French means that you'd write off the likes of the 205 gti.
    To write off fiat, means that you write off the likes of the 131 abarth or the coupe 20vt
    To write off Alfa means writing off the spider, the sud and what many recognise as the greatest six cylinder engine
    To write off Renault means no Clio Williams.
    I think everyone can see where this is going.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Thinker40

Renault are the only blanket ban I'd have.

Just about every other brand have good and bad so it would be down to individual models.

ie 1.9 Golf - fine, 2.0 A4 not a chance etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,248 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Zcott wrote: »
    Ssangyong - awful named awful looking cars
    Rover - grandad cars
    Vauxhall - repmobiles or people carriers

I drive a rover and I'm not a grandad. But I do like driving it with string back driving gloves and it picks up radio norwich perfectly

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Cienciano wrote: »
    I drive a rover and I'm not a grandad. But I do like driving it with string back driving gloves and it picks up radio norwich perfectly

By now you should like Lexi.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Cienciano wrote: »

But those 75s were desperate looking yokes AND Rover had to the cheek to use a totally random number plate size!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

Quazzie wrote: »
    So you'd drive a Ford Focus but wouldn't drive a Lexus is250 because a Focus has either style or build quality or style but the Lexus is250 has neither.

No offence mate, but you're talking through your hole.

My own list would be:
    Renault
    Fiat
    Alfa Romeo
    Rover

You took the words right out of my mouth, I would add vauxhall/opel to that list. I am an ex pat and drive a is250 se-l, to say a focus daysul is better than it is a bit of a joke, but hey ho.

saw about 3 broken down vauxhalls on the motorways here today in England. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭flutered

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    BMWs are too common these days to be considered a prestige badge, at least in this country. :D

While FIAT = FixItAgainTony

here abouts they say, the only car to put you back on your feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,248 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Zcott wrote: »
    But those 75s were desperate looking yokes AND Rover had to the cheek to use a totally random number plate size!

The 75's are superb combination of english refinement and german engineering. With Wings loaded up in the 6cd changer in the glovebox, it doesn't get any better than What Cars-Car of the year 1999.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,549 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

To write off the French means that you'd write off the likes of the 205 gti.
    To write off fiat, means that you write off the likes of the 131 abarth or the coupe 20vt
    To write off Alfa means writing off the spider, the sud and what many recognise as the greatest six cylinder engine
    To write off Renault means no Clio Williams.

A motor enthusiast! On a motoring forum! Are you on crystal meth?

Carry on brandboys. Sure that Jap Yamaha Toyota 2000Gt is Awful looking hape, and they didn't release a post 2008 daysel version!!!! What were they thinking of?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

Name any make/model of car that doesnt give some sort of trouble...:rolleyes:
    Tbh ask any good independent Mechanic/Garage and they'll tell you some of the horror stories of moderns cars today....:eek:....after hearing them you'll be on your bike...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

I'd never drive a saab, woeful oul yokes :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Reluctantly bought a citroen a few years back due to an impending new arrival and have had no issues with it in 100000km. I was warned by family that it would break my heart and wallet.

I have work colleagues who have been left traumatised by their experienced with Peugeot cars, electrics in particular. I wouldn't buy one for that reason

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

mickeyk wrote: »
    Reluctantly bought a citroen a few years back due to an impending new arrival and have had no issues with it in 100000km. I was warned by family that it would break my heart and wallet.

I have work colleagues who have been left traumatised by their experienced with Peugeot cars, electrics in particular. I wouldn't buy one for that reason

Had a C5 with 270k miles and she was the most comfortable car I ever drove!

Advertisement