Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Who-02-26th Nov

Options
  • 15-08-2014 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Anyone else looking forward to this?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

No one.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 MrSnuffleupagus

Should be good! Saw the Quadrophenia tour last year, can't wait :D

Although I must say they did a terrible job of advertising it. Dublin wasn't listed on their tour dates when they first announced it, my friend and I were thinking of booking it over to Glasgow until I happened to check Ticketmaster.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 26 November One

Anyone know what time they'll be on stage at? (Or can give an educated guess?)

The ticket says 18.30, which I'm assuming is just when the gates open, but there's no mention of support etc.

I'm just after finding out my masters conferring is at 5pm in Galway that same day, desperately trying to work out if I'll be able to make it to Dublin in time for them. Had already bought tickets for myself and my dad :/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Most gigs I go to are on stage around 9 to 9.30.

8.30 earliest unless its specifically stated on the ticket or is some unsual venue, like a outdoor gig with time restrictions.

You can ring the box office on the day and ask, they usually will know. My mate works at gigs and they have to know exact times for part time staff planning.

A tip would be to check other opening times at the point, (3arena now), they might all say 18.30. Many places open early to get you in and fleece you with drink prices for hours, knowing you are unlikely to leave. At the olympia we always as the bouncers or box office people for stage times.

A very long gig might start early, like springsteen. I saw the who in marley park and it was normal length. Checking there slash opens at 18.30 too and is unlikely to be overly long.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 November One

rubadub wrote: »
    Most gigs I go to are on stage around 9 to 9.30.

8.30 earliest unless its specifically stated on the ticket or is some unsual venue, like a outdoor gig with time restrictions.

You can ring the box office on the day and ask, they usually will know. My mate works at gigs and they have to know exact times for part time staff planning.

A tip would be to check other opening times at the point, (3arena now), they might all say 18.30. Many places open early to get you in and fleece you with drink prices for hours, knowing you are unlikely to leave. At the olympia we always as the bouncers or box office people for stage times.

A very long gig might start early, like springsteen. I saw the who in marley park and it was normal length. Checking there slash opens at 18.30 too and is unlikely to be overly long.

Thanks for the advice, that's actually quite reassuring. I was worried that because there's no support act that they'd be on earlier but it looks like if I manage to hit the road before 7 I should make it to the point car park not long after 9.

With a bit of determination it'll hopefully all work out :)

• Advertisement

There often is support at gigs where non is listed. I think some do not mention it as they do not know who will be at it, and it sort of covers themselves if there is non for some reason i.e. rather than just saying "with guests"

Thought of a new thing to google, "band came on stage at"

Jul 17, 2008 - 30 posts - ‎24 authors
    The Who came onstage at 9:05 and played for 100-105 minutes

Apr 25, 2007 - 25 posts - ‎10 authors
    The Who came onstage at 8.35, and finally left at 10.45.

Jul 2, 2006 - The Who came on stage at around 8:20

Nov 26, 2008 - The Who came on stage at 8. 45 and launched into a medley

As its the 50th tour it might be a longer than usual set, in which case there may well be no support. If they are playing venues in this tour before here you could check out reviews & setlists which may state it.

If I was you I would be aiming to be at the O2 for 8pm or soon after, as it can take a while to get inside. Also you might be able to find closing time of the O2 online.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

The ticket says 18.30, which I'm assuming is just when the gates open, but there's no mention of support etc.

I'm just after finding out my masters conferring is at 5pm in Galway that same day, desperately trying to work out if I'll be able to make it to Dublin in time for them. Had already bought tickets for myself and my dad :/

Contact MCD, as they are promoting both gigs, Dublin on 26th November and Belfast on 28th November.

http://www.mcd.ie/listings/fg.php?c=9135883&ar=thewho&cat=all

http://www.mcd.ie/listings/fg.php?c=4587037&ar=thewho&cat=all

They'd have the stage times and will know if there's a support act.

Usually in the days leading up to any of the gigs they are promoting, they'll include the stage times on mcd.ie.

But if there is no support act, I would imagine that The Who would be on stage well before 9pm,

Often in The Point, bands start at 8pm even if there is no support, for example when Bob Dylan and Roger Waters played there in recent years.

Edit: When The Who played last year in The Point Dublin on Saturday 8th June, they came onstage shortly after 8.30pm, at 8.33pm and ended at 10.45pm

The support band that night, Vintage Trouble, started at 7.30pm and ended just before 8.05pm

But if there is no support act, I would imagine that The Who would be on stage well before 9pm,
    hmm, the more I think about it I think I was unfortunately misleading you (November One) by saying most gigs I go to start at 9-9.30pm. That was no lie, but most venues I go to are small and open later with gigs typically 90mins or less. The ads for this gig would suggest its a long set.

When it was "the point" they seemed to be on later too, but it does seem to be closing earlier nowadays.

The latest time I heard was the Guns N Roses debacle, they were due on at 21.45 but only came on at 22.30

http://entertainment.ie/music/news/Appetite-For-Disaster-Guns-N-Roses-Walk-Off-At-O2-Gig-[Updated]/49782.htm

I expect they want to close well in time so everybody can get the luas back to the city centre.

hmm, the more I think about it I think I was unfortunately misleading you (November One) by saying most gigs I go to start at 9-9.30pm. That was no lie, but most venues I go to are small and open later with gigs typically 90mins or less. The ads for this gig would suggest its a long set.

When it was "the point" they seemed to be on later too, but it does seem to be closing earlier nowadays.

The latest time I heard was the Guns N Roses debacle, they were due on at 21.45 but only came on at 22.30

http://entertainment.ie/music/news/Appetite-For-Disaster-Guns-N-Roses-Walk-Off-At-O2-Gig-[Updated]/49782.htm

I expect they want to close well in time so everybody can get the luas back to the city centre.

The interesting thing about the Guns N' Roses gig was that MCD didn't state beforehand what time they were due onstage. All that was stated on the ticket was doors 6.30pm.

They came onstage in Belfast the night before at 9.45pm. It wasn't specified what time they were due on in Dublin and they ended up starting at 10.25pm.

Axl and the band left the stage at about 10.50 -10.55pm after another item, a plastic Heineken bottle, was thrown onstage. Then after all the commotion they returned at about 11.20pm, restarting with Live and Let Die and played till 12.55am!:) http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/guns-n-roses/2010/the-o2-dublin-ireland-5bd5f724.html

There are numerous videos on youtube documenting the drama!:)

I thought it was a shame what happened that night, that they started so late, as the band sounded great, and people throwing stuff onstage didn't help the situation. I mean, if the gig hadn't restarted, it would have been totally unsatisfactory, especially for those who travelled long distances.

When they played the next time in Dublin in May 2012, they came on around the same time, around 10.25pm, and again it wasn't specified what time they were scheduled to start. They played a much longer show, which - with more songs than 2010 and the various guitar and piano solos - was well over 2 and a half hours, close to three hours. As far as I can remember, it ended at 1.10am. http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/guns-n-roses/2012/the-o2-dublin-ireland-1bdf95ec.html

Axl, I think, did himself no favours starting so late in 2010, because the Dublin gig in 2012 was excellent but it wasn't sold out, with many of the seats in the upper blocks unsold, whereas in 2010, it sold better and they also played the Odyssey the night before. So I guess a lot of people didn't go in 2012 because of what happened the previous time.

I find that with most gigs, if a headlining band starts after 9pm, they are usually not going to play over 2 hours and often their set would be around 90 minutes.

I find that in venues like Whelans, The Academy or the Button Factory, which may be the type of shows to which you refer, that the gigs start and end earlier if there's a club on afterwards, but if bands start around 9.30, they don't plan to play much more than 90 minutes and usually end around 11pm or shortly afterwards anyway.

The Luas at The Point (I'm still not accustomed to saying 3Arena!:)) is very useful, they usually have two waiting to load, when the gigs end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭BandMember

• Advertisement

BandMember wrote: »
    How are ticket sales going for this, anyone know? Hoping to get some sorted soon so wondering if there are many standing ones left....

If only there was some way of finding out? Some sort of... hmmm... ticket master.

If only there was some way of finding out? Some sort of... hmmm... ticket master.
    but it will only let you attempt to buy tickets, it could be the last one they offer you online, its not like they say 3,000 left.

I wonder if you ring up would they give out such info, or have access to it.

Many people would prefer to pay at the door if possible for gigs, or for the likes of the O2 buy in a outlet to avoid the ludicrous online fees. -this is why I suspect they will not give the info out, they would lose out on fleecing you.

but it will only let you attempt to buy tickets, it could be the last one they offer you online, its not like they say 3,000 left.

I wonder if you ring up would they give out such info, or have access to it.

Many people would prefer to pay at the door if possible for gigs, or for the likes of the O2 buy in a outlet to avoid the ludicrous online fees. -this is why I suspect they will not give the info out, they would lose out on fleecing you.

It will tell you how many standing tickets are left... None.

It will tell you how many standing tickets are left... None.

haha, right so. Were there ever even standing ones for the who? was just checking there if they still force you to attempt to buy tickets, enter the stupidly difficult to read code, only to be told they are sold out. But seems it may have been fully seated.

haha, right so. Were there ever even standing ones for the who? was just checking there if they still force you to attempt to buy tickets, enter the stupidly difficult to read code, only to be told they are sold out. But seems it may have been fully seated.

I understand that it is the Optimum Standing layout for The Who, with standing in the area where the flat seating is located for fully seated gigs

• Registered Users Posts: 10,253 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Has been postponed until June 2015 apparently.

Birneybau wrote: »
    Has been postponed until June 2015 apparently.

Is it just the Dublin and Belfast dates postponed?

The news item on MCD's site says

"Due to unforeseen logistical difficulties The Who’s Irish tour dates in Dublin and Belfast on 26th and 28th November have been rescheduled to next summer and will now play at the Odyssey Arena, Belfast on June 21st and 3Arena Dublin on June 23rd".

http://www.mcd.ie/home/fn.php?c=7839011&ar=thewho&cat=all

Considering the rescheduled dates are in June, they could end up clashing with some other gigs. June and July are always very busy months for indoor and outdoor shows.

At least this year's AC/DC Slane rumour, suggests they play Slane at the end of May!!:D

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,794 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Is it just the Dublin and Belfast dates postponed?
    Looks like it - Official website has the new dates up but the GBR ones look like they are going ahead as previously planned. Have tickets for Manchester (13 December) as well as Dublin. Would have been nice to see them on the opening night, but maybe the show will be a bit different by the time they come back in June

They just seem to be coming back over from the States for the 2 Irish gigs - maybe they are going to fill in with a few outdoor shows over the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

So this is one of the reasons Dublin & Belfast dates moved I'm assuming. Tickets are due to be £60 (€75) thats less than a standing tickets for shows here doubt they bring that kind of support;

328744.jpg

So this is one of the reasons Dublin & Belfast dates moved I'm assuming. Tickets are due to be £60 (€75) thats less than a standing tickets for shows here doubt they bring that kind of support;

328744.jpg

That gig announcement is interesting.

Considering that it's outdoor and there are three high profile supports at that Hyde Park gig, perhaps it would mean that The Who would play a shorter length of gig there, than they will do at the Dublin and Belfast gigs?

Often headline bands play shorter sets at outdoor gigs when there are a good few support bands.

They played a good long gig at the Dublin and Belfast gigs in June last year and I'd prefer that, than having more than one support act.:)

Does anyone know why the Dublin and Belfast gigs were postponed?

I wonder is the cost of bringing the show over here any different, if they were to bring it over here this month, compared to next June?

If the other December UK dates are going ahead, I don't understand why the dates here are being postponed, unless it's to give more time to sell tickets that are not yet sold?

Perhaps it's better anyway, to see a band in the middle of a tour, rather than at the beginning where at the beginning there may be sound issues not yet solved, but I hope that the setlist doesn't change too much and the show they play here, is the same length as the other dates on the tour.

• Advertisement

The Last Internationale are the support for Dublin & Belfast

• Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭rednik

The Last Internationale are the support for Dublin & Belfast

They supported Robert Plant in the Olympia in November last year and played a very good set.

rednik wrote: »
    They supported Robert Plant in the Olympia in November last year and played a very good set.

I'll defo give them a look happy enough with this support have checked out their "We Will Reign" release fairly solid. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

Anyone any idea of stage times for tomorrow night? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

The Who going through their greatest hits!

This should be sweet!

I hope Roger's voice is in good knick and the sound engineer works for his supper!

I'm also looking forward to seeing The Last Internationale,
    Very solid good old school rock and roll band from what I've heard.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

davywalsh7 wrote: »
    Anyone any idea of stage times for tomorrow night? Cheers

Last internationale - 7.30
    The Who - 8.30

According to the website

• Registered Users Posts: 11,324 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Heads up for anyone with a download ticket for this. Got an email from Ticketmaster yesterday to say this option I no longer available and tickets to be collected from box office from 6.30

I'm also looking forward to seeing The Last Internationale,
    Very solid good old school rock and roll band from what I've heard.

Oh ya by the way Brad Wilk (RATM) is the drummer on their album release he should be behind the kit here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,245 ✭✭✭emo72

On stage at 830? Seems a bit early doesn't it? Is that time reliable? (Spider senses say no). Would like to try the delights of the local pubs, see if I could find a decent pint of ale anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Choochtown

2 very positive reviews online for Sunday's Belfast show.

I have a feeling it might be a great evening!

Advertisement