Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclists breaking lights!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Something similar happened to me when I was stopped at a lights, some twat cycled past me but there wasn't a whole lot of room and he hit my car and then cycled through a red light to get away. I drove after him, rolled down my window and asked him to stop so I could check my car. He laughed and said something like "oh I done so much damage". What exactly are drivers supposed to do?

I drove up ahead a good bit, parked the car and got out, he just pissed passed me at speed, not giving a shít about anything or anyone.

Cyclists break lights all the time, so do cars and so do busses, trucks etc etc. It's the same thing every single time this topic comes up. Everybody on the road is an asshat.

From my 1 hour cycle per day, there's a huge amount of cyclists who have a total lack of understanding on how to use the road. It's really really annoying to see people flying through red lights, especially when you are stopped and there's not a lot of room and they get really close to you.

Another thing that bugs me. You cycle past some asshat, and then at the red light they either a) Cycle straight through it or b) stop at the red light but make sure they are a head of you...

Why? Why would you do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Another thing that bugs me. You cycle past some asshat, and then at the red light they either a) Cycle straight through it or b) stop at the red light but make sure they are a head of you...

Why? Why would you do this?
    I often have to overtake faster cyclists at red lights who have previously just overtook me. I do it for my own safety.

At a stop like this
    https://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&ll=53.265926,-6.15822&spn=0.000428,0.002493&t=k&z=20&layer=c&cbll=53.265926,-6.158221&panoid=5zpkWPhLDmTyyjN3zJw-Xw&cbp=11,284.03,,0,12.07

you get many cyclists who will have passed you out, so are fully aware there are cyclists behind them, and they stop right at the start of that turn off to the left. With their foot on the kerb right at the white sign things with the arrows -rather than going right up to the line and allowing the other cyclists to fall in line behind them. So if any cyclist coming up from behind is to stay behind -then they are left in the way of traffic turning left.

I am not saying you do this, just saying the only reason I would ever do it.

rubadub wrote: »
    I often have to overtake faster cyclists at red lights who have previously just overtook me. I do it for my own safety.

At a stop like this
    https://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&ll=53.265926,-6.15822&spn=0.000428,0.002493&t=k&z=20&layer=c&cbll=53.265926,-6.158221&panoid=5zpkWPhLDmTyyjN3zJw-Xw&cbp=11,284.03,,0,12.07

you get many cyclists who will have passed you out, so are fully aware there are cyclists behind them, and they stop right at the start of that turn off to the left. With their foot on the kerb right at the white sign things with the arrows -rather than going right up to the line and allowing the other cyclists to fall in line behind them. So if any cyclist coming up from behind is to stay behind -then they are left in the way of traffic turning left.

I am not saying you do this, just saying the only reason I would ever do it.

At this junction, it still doesn't matter. Cars are unable to turn left with cyclists in the cycle lane.

Would you not ask the person ahead of you to move up to give you room? Instead of overtaking them just for them to overtake you again? It's dangerous and very selfish to go ahead of faster cyclists at red lights.

Second point I would have here is if you are beside or slightly in front of a car turning left then you would have the right of way. If a car is indicating left and you ignore this. Then that's rude and just looking for trouble. If you are behind a car turning left, let that car turn left and then continue your journey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Daith wrote: »
    Why bring it up the bad driver at all?
    Because they are the ones who kill 200+ people each year and maim thousands of others - just for context like.
    traprunner wrote: »
    Licensing could create a whole new industry and jobs! It would also help change the perception of cyclists by non-cyclists.
    So we need to create a huge layer of expensive bureaucracy to 'change perceptions' because people are too dumb and narrow-minded to look at the facts? Not a great basis for public policy.
    traprunner wrote: »
    Cycling could be thought in schools and show kids a fun way of getting off their lazy asses and leaving the TV and game consoles for a few hours.
    It already is thought in schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Daith

RainyDay wrote: »
    Because they are the ones who kill 200+ people each year and maim thousands of others - just for context like.

Jesus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

rubadub wrote: »
    I often have to overtake faster cyclists at red lights who have previously just overtook me. <snipped>

Why? Surely if they are faster than you it would make much more sense to stay behind them

EDIT

Ignore that just re read your post about 3 times and understand where you are coming from, however, surely a swift kick to the offending cyclist or even a word in the ear would be safer, as an aside, nothing more irritating than me waiting to overtake a cyclist safely only for them to opt to sit in front of me at the next lights and to go through the whole waiting for a safe place again

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Anyone who tries to claim that the same percentage of motorists as cyclists break red lights is either delusional or lying.

Jesus.

Don't mind him. I agree with you.

There is an epidemic of cyclists breaking red lights and not observing the rules of the road.

We need to devote scarce garda resources to this issue NOW, as the statistics relating to death and injury on our roads clearly show that cyclists breaking lights are a huge issue and the cause of most of these incidents.

Why the gardai seem to be obsessed with speeding and drink driving (two relatively harmless activities) I have no idea.

Also, don't forget that cyclists are also the leading cause of anonymous anecdotes about 'nearly' being hit posted on internet talkboards.

Something must be done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭frankythefish

a lot of cylists are not the smartest. and its hardly fair to give them a hard time because of their lack of intelligence. if they don't see a red light and drive through let them be. at the end of the day its them that will get a hard hit from car etc. that way they ll soon learn.

We need to devote scarce garda resources to this issue NOW, as the statistics relating to death and injury on our roads clearly show that cyclists breaking lights are a huge issue and the cause of most of these incidents.

Alternatively cyclists that do break the rules of the road should just cop themselves on because we actually do have scarce garda resources and why add to the problem?

• Advertisement

Alternatively cyclists that do break the rules of the road should just cop themselves on because we actually do have scarce garda resources.

Good call!

Also, surely it's time for murderers to cop themselves on, I mean, they are wasting so much time and resources that AGS can ill afford.

Actually - it would be a good idea if people were properly registered and had plates, so that we could report murderers or issue on the spot fines.

We're getting it all sorted out today, this is awesome!

Good call!

Also, surely it's time for murderers to cop themselves on, I mean, they are wasting so much time and resources that AGS can ill afford.

Oh no. You see in your case murders are car drivers and people who just commit assault like cyclists should be let go or ignored so the guards can focus on murders.

Oh no. You see in your case murders are car drivers and people who just commit assault like cyclists should be let go or ignored so the guards can focus on murders.

???

I didn't say that.

The beauty of registration and plates is that no matter what the crime we'd have an easy way to know who did it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

a lot of cylists are not the smartest. and its hardly fair to give them a hard time because of their lack of intelligence. if they don't see a red light and drive through let them be. at the end of the day its them that will get a hard hit from car etc. that way they ll soon learn.

I wouldn't mention intelligence.
    People might point you to drink driving figures,speeding summons, mobile phone penalty points, uninsured driving statistics, unaccompanied learners, single vehicle "accidents", driving car without nct, leaving scene of accident statistics, bald tyres, parking on footpaths.....

or they might just point you instead to the graveyards and A&E.

???

I didn't say that.

It's all about resources isn't? I mean that's why we should ignore cyclists who don't follow the rules of the road?
    We need to devote scarce garda resources to this issue NOW!

So we can't do anything about cyclists breaking the rules of the road because of resources isn't? The guards must prioritize the higher impact cases and let other people go because of resources right?

It's all about resources isn't? I mean that's why we should ignore cyclists who don't follow the rules of the road?

So we can't do anything about cyclists breaking the rules of the road because of resources isn't? The guards must prioritize the higher impact cases and let other people go because of resources right?

You're confusing me.

I am in favour of the gardai clamping down on cyclists. I said it in my post. We both know how many serious injuries and accidents they cause, and are both in favour of the guards getting out there and making the streets safe.

You're confusing me.

I am in favour of the gardai clamping down on cyclists. I said it in my post. We both know how many serious injuries and accidents they cause, and are both in favour of the guards getting out there and making the streets safe.

You're posts can only be read sarcastically. It's the only way I can make sense of them, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Are people driving about in cars made out of papier-mâché, or marshmallow perhaps, because that's the only possible explanation for all these credible experiences of cyclists (~70kg +12kg bike) slamming into their vehicles and walking away unscathed whilst causing €€€€ of damage to the car (>1000kg)?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,790 ✭✭✭SeanW

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Are people driving about in cars made out of papier-mâché, or marshmallow perhaps, because that's the only possible explanation for all these credible experiences of cyclists (~70kg +12kg bike) slamming into their vehicles and walking away unscathed whilst causing €€€€ of damage to the car (>1000kg)?
    It doesn't take much to bash in a car door.

You're posts can only be read sarcastically. It's the only way I can make sense of them, lol.

There's nothing sarcastic about road safety my friend.

Every cyclist breaking a red light should be charged and fined.

Every motorist going over the speed limit, even if by only 1kph, even for a moment, should receive a fine and penalty points.

Every motorist who puts a wheel on the kerb for any reason - fine and penalty points. In fact just clamp every single one that is found in the city. That will soon put a stop to it (and raise some money).

Pedestrians crossing on a red man - this is an offence, and should be prosecuted. It's dangerous, even if there's no-one around. It just is, because it's against the law.

Any motorist not indicating at any junction. Death wish! Prosecute them all. Cameras at every junction, no mercy! I don't care if nobody can really show if this is a cause of accidents or not, it annoys me! It must end!

Still with me Daith or are you soft on road safety?

• Advertisement

Pompous wrote: »
    I am a cyclist who breaks red lights. If I arrive at a junction I am familiar with and the light is red, I stop and observe the traffic and the lights. If I see a safe opportunity to go, I will go. There's no point waiting while the lane with the green light is completely empty as far as the eye can see. It is illegal, I know, but so is J-walking. The way that I break red lights is, in my opinion, exactly the same as J-walking. I've been doing this for over a decade and not once have I even come close to causing an accident. Because I'm not a moron.

Breaking a red light without stopping is completely reckless and a good way to get yourself killed. I would never do that, but unfortunately I do see other cyclists do it sometimes. I always marvel at the fact that they are still alive.

The point I am trying to make is that there is a grey area here. If motorists, like cyclists, did not face any repercussions from breaking the rules of the road, I guarantee they would break red lights just as often as I do. It is the fear of punishment that makes you wait for a green light at an empty junction, not because it is the right thing to do.

You are so incredibly wrong.

IF more people took on your logic, the roads would be absolute chaos. "It's fine for me to break a red light because I am on a bike" No, no it's not.

There is no grey area. Red means stop. It's that simple. You stop at a red light because it's a rule. You are living within a society and you should follow the rules within that society.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

<snipped majoprity of the sarcastic rant>Prosecute them all. Cameras at every junction, no mercy! I don't care if nobody can really show if this is a cause of accidents or not, it annoys me! It must end!

Not much point on cameras on red lights/ junctions until you figure out how to identify miscreants who don't have identifying plates or are you only suggesting that registered vehicles should be penalised?

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Not much point on cameras on red lights/ junctions until you figure out how to identify miscreants who don't have identifying plates or are you only suggesting that registered vehicles should be penalised?

read the full post - all motorists, cyclists and pedestrians to have license, insurance and plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,790 ✭✭✭SeanW

Every cyclist breaking a red light should be charged and fined.

Every motorist going over the speed limit, even if by only 1kph, even for a moment, should receive a fine and penalty points.

Every motorist who puts a wheel on the kerb for any reason - fine and penalty points. In fact just clamp every single one that is found in the city. That will soon put a stop to it (and raise some money).

Pedestrians crossing on a red man - this is an offence, and should be prosecuted. It's dangerous, even if there's no-one around. It just is, because it's against the law.

Any motorist not indicating at any junction. Death wish! Prosecute them all. Cameras at every junction, no mercy! I don't care if nobody can really show if this is a cause of accidents or not, it annoys me! It must end!

All I want is consistency. If cyclists are going to demand that all of the above be imposed on motorists (and they do, listen to any of them talk about the need for "zero tolerance" for everything, GPS trackers fitted to cars for speed monitoring, and about a dozen other things), then cyclists should be subject to the same treatment.

If on the other hand cyclists want a "so what" defense for red light jumping because they consider it "safe," then they should accept that a motorist may do something technically illegal for the same reason.

What I hate is the attitude from the cycling fraternity on boards "laws must be ENFORCED with an IRON ROD on motorists, regardless of any possible safety consequence, blah blah blah motorists are the biggest threat to life and limb after Ebola" then I go onto the streets as a pedestrian and see their fellow travellers disregarding stop lights, footways, lane directions with gay abandon.

SeanW wrote: »
    All I want is consistency. If cyclists are going to demand that all of the above be imposed on motorists (and they do, listen to any of them talk about the need for "zero tolerance" for everything, GPS trackers fitted to cars for speed monitoring, and about a dozen other things), then cyclists should be subject to the same treatment.

If on the other hand cyclists want a "so what" defense for red light jumping because they consider it "safe," then they should accept that a motorist may do something technically illegal for the same reason.

What I hate is the attitude from the cycling fraternity on boards "laws must be ENFORCED with an IRON ROD on motorists, regardless of any possible safety consequence, blah blah blah motorists are the biggest threat to life and limb after Ebola" then I go onto the streets as a pedestrian and see their fellow travellers disregarding stop lights, footways, lane directions with gay abandon.

Is that the attitude of 'the cycling fraternity' on boards? Can you quote an example?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

most of 'the cycling fraternity' are also motorists.
    the converse does not apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭seany15

most of 'the cycling fraternity' are also motorists.
    the converse does not apply.

Cyclist/Motorist here. Best thread on boards.ie right here. Always the same old fight.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

sure it passes the time, eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

You are so incredibly wrong.

IF more people took on your logic, the roads would be absolute chaos. "It's fine for me to break a red light because I am on a bike" No, no it's not.

There is no grey area. Red means stop. It's that simple. You stop at a red light because it's a rule. You are living within a society and you should follow the rules within that society.
    So just to be clear - you NEVER break any traffic law - right? You NEVER go over the speed limit, NEVER drive with a blown bulb, NEVER turn without indicating, right?

SeanW wrote: »

[...]

Would you like to point out a few of the posts where you've seen cyclists demanding 'zero tolerance' and 'iron rods'? I haven't seen any such posts, so it would be interesting to see where you picked this up from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

I am a driver and used to cycle everywhere but needs must and I need to drive to work now.

I would say that way more cyclists break the lights than drivers but a substantial number of cyclists DO obey the rules. From my observation it is about 25% of cyclists that break the lights. However, as there are more and more cyclists the number breaking the lights is increasing.

Regarding the OP, you really should try and find out who the cyclist is and nail him for the cost.

Advertisement