Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Grill Festival Festival

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭Blut2

I got free tickets so will probably go along, depending on the weather at the time. I enjoyed it last year - it was something a bit different.

It is awfully expensive though. 17.70eur (including booking fee) to go along somewhere to pay over full price for drinks. I think I remember it being 6eur ish a beer, plus you'd almost certainly have unused tokens at the end further adding to the cost. Basically if you wanna go along and have some food, and maybe 2 beers, you're looking at 40eur+ not including any transport costs. Pricey for a quiet night.

I think if they made it more like the RDS Craft Beer festival, and they gave you 10eur of tokens with your entry fee or something, it'd get more casual punters going along for a only a couple of beers or just some food. Instead of the situation now where you really have to be going 'for the day' to make it worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,527 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

BeerNut wrote: »
    Yeah, I got a couple of freebies so will be going along.

If you don't think it's worth it, just don't go.

Im not sure either way. Hence the questions I asked.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The Nal wrote: »
    Im not sure either way. Hence the questions I asked.
    Really? You actually wanted us to quote you the 2015 Big Grill rate for "a tiny glass of wine"? Are you sure it wasn't just a complaint dressed up as a question?

Really? You actually wanted us to quote you the 2015 Big Grill rate for "a tiny glass of wine"? Are you sure it wasn't just a complaint dressed up as a question?

Bit of both yeah but as others have said, its pricey. So I was hoping someone may have some inside info about this year before I decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

Blut2 wrote: »
    I think if they made it more like the RDS Craft Beer festival, and they gave you 10eur of tokens with your entry fee or something, it'd get more casual punters going along for a only a couple of beers or just some food.

They dont need more casual punters, it sold out last year. Every event thread here has people moaning about prices, yet the events are always full.

50 or 60 quid is not expensive for a day out in Dublin with food, drink & entertainment. People who think this is expensive should realise that these events are not really aimed at them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

big grill was a total ripoff last year.

- entry fee entitled you to nothing except entering the field, no free drink or sample.
    -you had to purchase special books of tokens to buy food, and these were non refundable.
    -many of the books of tokens were short. i.e. cost 20 quid but only 18 quid of tokens in the book. On reporting this it took them over 30 mins to give me my extra tokens. found this issue with 3 books between 3 people so I have to assume it was widespread.

-samples were massive. I expected that for 3-5 euro you could get a sample of each of the 15+ vendors. no, they all served full portions at 10 quid a go. so you could never sample everyone there.

-they ran out of cider by 1pm leaving only one or two largers.

All in all, the way they rip you off by issuing itchy & scratchy land dollars, , no refunds, screwing people by not having correct amount in the fake money books, running out of beer I wont be returning.

50 or 60 quid is not expensive for a day out in Dublin with food, drink & entertainment. People who think this is expensive should realise that these events are not really aimed at them.
    I was there for a few hours early last year - before the crazy queues - and ate a portion of ribs and a few glasses of wine and spent well over the 40 quid people are mentioning. Its a bizarre business model and a relic of the Celtic Tiger ingrained in our culture. Paying well over the odds in order to be sold to. And BBQ food at that, the cheapest of all food.

A big BBQ/beer day out is a great idea but its just so expensive it sucks all the fun out of it.

Tickets €16
    Food €10 (1 portion)
    Wine/Beer (not a big glass/pint) €6 x (lets say) 5 drinks

56 quid. A very conservative estimate too. So 112 quid between me and the missus. And thats if I only have 5 drinks and 1 portion of food which I wont!

No thanks. I recently booked return flights to Berlin for the two of us for that.

Edit, must add, the beer price is standard really. Craft beer is the current hilarious rip off that people don't seem to notice. Its the new bottled water.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 pink_polkadot

Edit, must add, the beer price is standard really. Craft beer is the current hilarious rip off that people don't seem to notice. Its the new bottled water.

The answer to this...The dreaded Witherspoons!
    I kid, i friggin love witherspoons.

Beers no more than 3.25. some 2.50. Can get specials as low as 2 euro.
    We've been taken for a ride for some time by Irish Pubs and expect beer to be expensive.

The answer to this...The dreaded Witherspoons!
    I kid, i friggin love witherspoons.

Beers no more than 3.25. some 2.50. Can get specials as low as 2 euro.
    We've been taken for a ride for some time by Irish Pubs and expect beer to be expensive.

The one in Camden Street is going to clean up. Diceys sh1tting themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Yeah, I got a couple of freebies so will be going along.

If you don't think it's worth it, just don't go.

Really I don't see what I'm getting for my money.
    If I want bbq food I can head to my meat wagon, from there head to either Mulligan grocer or black sheep and then onto the porterhouse.
    I don't see what I get for paying in, other than the opportunity to overpay for said beer and bbq.

If you can convince me as to why I'm better of going please do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

If you can convince me as to why I'm better of going please do.
    I think you should stay home. Sure you'd only be moaning if you did go. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,288 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Am going along in Friday with work social club, looking fwd to it but wouldn't be going on my bat given the prices... the DCC website says the entrance to the event is via the Donnybrook gate, but I can't see this on a map anywhere.

I'll be coming on DART so not sure what stop and route is best?

Any tips appreciated... location-wise and otherwise!
    Cheers.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Am going along in Friday with work social club, looking fwd to it but wouldn't be going on my bat given the prices... the DCC website says the entrance to the event is via the Donnybrook gate, but I can't see this on a map anywhere.

I'll be coming on DART so not sure what stop and route is best?

Any tips appreciated... location-wise and otherwise!
    Cheers.

Sandymount is probably the handiest, here is a google maps route from the station to the Park

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/Sandymount/@53.3278588,-6.2232017,16z/data=!4m20!1m17!4m16!1m3!2m2!1d-6.235008!2d53.3277264!1m6!1m2!1s0x48670edad7511adb:0xf4b1a3d996145c20!2sSandymount,+Co.+Dublin!2m2!1d-6.22141!2d53.32826!3e2!6m3!1i0!2i0!3i3!3m1!1s0x48670edad7511adb:0xf4b1a3d996145c20

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

oblivious wrote: »
    Sandymount is probably the handiest, here is a google maps route from the station to the Park

Landsdowne Rd is a few minutes closer, it's also a bit closer to RDS Hall 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

I'll be going to this as I got a freebie and a guarantee of some tokens to get me started. Trying to expand my beer palate - would anyone be willing to give me a few recommendations from the breweries attending please?

http://www.biggrillfestival.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Sugar Free wrote: »
    I'll be going to this as I got a freebie and a guarantee of some tokens to get me started. Trying to expand my beer palate - would anyone be willing to give me a few recommendations from the breweries attending please?

From the list I would be hitting, in order ha,:

Eight Degrees
    Trouble
    Metalman
    Blacks of Kinsale
    Kinnegar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Debating going to this Friday or Saturday, Saturday seems to have way more on.. but Friday last year gets a better review for less queues and stuff.

Any recommendations?

I don't like the sound of the 10er food token thing, surely that defeats the point of a food tasting event thingie.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Sugar Free wrote: »

drink-all-the-beer.jpg

Debating going to this Friday or Saturday, Saturday seems to have way more on.. but Friday last year gets a better review for less queues and stuff.

Any recommendations?

I went on Saturday last year and left at about 5pm as the queues were crazy for all stalls. 20 minute queues.
    I don't like the sound of the 10er food token thing, surely that defeats the point of a food tasting event thingie.

Yeah minimum is about 8 quid for a tiny portion. Otherwise its a full meal.

Its not a food tasting event really.

Yeah minimum is about 8 quid for a tiny portion. Otherwise its a full meal.

Its not a food tasting event really.

Looks like they've sorted that. From the faq -
    How much will food and drink be?
    We are adding heaps of sample sized BBQ dishes so you can try as many different items as possible. They will start from around 4 smokins'.

Still looks expensive though. Getting nothing but your entrance for €16 is a terrible start.

• Advertisement

So no Beoir discount for me this year.

Maybe they don't need us anymore? :(

The sample sized BBQ dishes is a great idea and well needed. Good to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

I've got a couple of free tickets so I'll give it a shot, but it'll probably be the last time.
    symbolic wrote: »
    So no Beoir discount for me this year.

Maybe they don't need us anymore? :(

Beoir didn't have any actual role last year, so...

Seems they're not involved in the RDS beer festival either.

n97 mini wrote: »
    I've got a couple of free tickets so I'll give it a shot, but it'll probably be the last time.

Beoir didn't have any actual role last year, so...

Seems they're not involved in the RDS beer festival either.

Oh I dunno about roles etc, just I got a discount with my beoir membership last year, so the beoir folk where the people who got me to pop along to the festival as a result. Thought big grill where behind that discount is all, but not too interested if we go or not this year ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

n97 mini wrote: »
    Beoir didn't have any actual role last year, so... .

We were asked and I did proved a beer and food pairing material for all the brewers there. We were supposed to give a beer pairings with some of the BBQ demos, but they never finalized it at the event .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

The sample sized BBQ dishes is a great idea and well needed. Good to see.

Let us know if they charge sample prices. I hope they do but knowing Ireland...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭Blut2

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    Let us know if they charge sample prices. I hope they do but knowing Ireland...

"new smaller 'sample' size, same normal price - come now for this limited time only offer!"

The weather is looking good for this anyway, should be fun. Hopefully the queues aren't too bad.

The smaller plate size is right there on the web site - €4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Can't wait for this. Weather looks to be holding up too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

Anyone going to Big Grill in Herbert Park this weekend ?

F.

Advertisement