Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Big Grill Festival Festival

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

twerg_85 wrote: »
    Anyone going to Big Grill in Herbert Park this weekend ?

F.

Do you think it's worth a visit? When I had a look at the site briefly i got the impression it was pretty over-priced for what was on offer. Any previous experience?

I'm sure there's a thread around here somewhere with feedback on last year. Will have a goo

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057269726/1/#post91727707

• Registered Users Posts: 47 TheMightyI

Beer seems to be reasonably priced at 5 euro a pint. Think i'll be eating before/after though given how much the food is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

do you have to pay in before you even buy any food?
    If so.... fudge to that!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,746 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Merged last couple of posts from F&D.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

I think you should stay home. Sure you'd only be moaning if you did go. :)

You know I think I will, if thats the best that can be done to convince me its value for money, i think ill pass and head into town instead.
    At least there I don't have to pay 16 euro to pay standard bbq and craft beer prices

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

You know I think I will, if thats the best that can be done to convince me its value for money, i think ill pass and head into town instead.
    At least there I don't have to pay 16 euro to pay standard bbq and craft beer prices

Make sure you moan to everyone you meet about the price of everything, its an endearing quality people find delightful

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Make sure you moan to everyone you meet about the price of everything, its an endearing quality people find delightful

nah, if something is value for money ill buy it and enjoy it (its why Ive no problem buying a ten euro bottle of beer for example) and shout to the world about it.

If however i can't see the value for money in something, I won't buy it. Unless of course someone can convince me that its value for money. As it stands i don't see where the value is in paying 16 euro into a place to buy bbq food and craft beer when I can go into town, choose from one of the decent bbq joints in the city and then head to one of the many craft beer pubs and spend said 16 euro on more beer.

Don't worry i don't go around giving out about the price of everything, i just choose to not buy it if i deem theres better value elsewhere (for example founders centennial is cheaper than founders all day...so why would i buy founders all day).

If the cost of entry was 32 quid and I deemed it good value, id go, but at 16 euro I'm not seeing the value. What do I get for my 16 euro, the privilege to buy bbq food and craft beer at the standard price?
    Thanks but no thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

nah, if something is value for money ill buy it and enjoy it (its why Ive no problem buying a ten euro bottle of beer for example) and shout to the world about it.

If however i can't see the value for money in something, I won't buy it. Unless of course someone can convince me that its value for money. As it stands i don't see where the value is in paying 16 euro into a place to buy bbq food and craft beer when I can go into town, choose from one of the decent bbq joints in the city and then head to one of the many craft beer pubs and spend said 16 euro on more beer.

Don't worry i don't go around giving out about the price of everything, i just choose to not buy it if i deem theres better value elsewhere (for example founders centennial is cheaper than founders all day...so why would i buy founders all day).

If the cost of entry was 32 quid and I deemed it good value, id go, but at 16 euro I'm not seeing the value. What do I get for my 16 euro, the privilege to buy bbq food and craft beer at the standard price?
    Thanks but no thanks

But it won't be like for like with going to a BBQ restaurant then pub. I presume people go for the demos, talks, djs in the sun, BBQ peeps and places from afar. A BBQ festival is what they are paying for... No?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

symbolic wrote: »
    But it won't be like for like with going to a BBQ restaurant then pub. I presume people go for the demos, talks, djs in the sun, BBQ peeps and places from afar. A BBQ festival is what they are paying for... No?

Don't be trying logic!!

Don't be trying logic!!

Maybe.

I think it's good anyway that people into BBQ can go experience the festival atmosphere.

Not particularly into it but gonna pop along this evening as I live beside it. Festivals!

• Advertisement

Well I had a great evening anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Well I had a great evening anyway.

I also enjoyed it. Good selection of beers and a nice, laid back atmosphere.
    Thanks again for the recommendations symbolic.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Unless of course someone can convince me that its value for money. As it stands i don't see where the value is in paying 16 euro into a place to buy bbq food and craft beer when I can go into town, choose from one of the decent bbq joints in the city and then head to one of the many craft beer pubs and spend said 16 euro on more beer.
    Just back from an evening at Big Grill, and the way I see it: if you like barbecue food, go to Bison or the like and spend €20 on barbecue food and enjoy it. But if you live for barbecue food, if you know the names of celebrity barbecue chefs, if you download American TV shows about barbecue, if barbecue was what was stuck in your head after you came home from the US that time, if you want to improve your own equipment and techniques, and if you want to eat from lots of local barbecue places in one sitting, then there probably isn't going to be an event better suited to your interests in Dublin this year and I'd say it's worth your while paying in. The price of admission lets you see and hear and taste lots of really good barbecue stuff (and drink cracking beer in the sunshine for less than most pubs charge) but if you're not into barbecue in a serious way, you can probably find something better to spend your money on.

Sugar Free wrote: »
    I also enjoyed it. Good selection of beers and a nice, laid back atmosphere.
    Thanks again for the recommendations symbolic.

Ah good stuff, my favourite was the sour by Kinnegar actually, so looks like my list was wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

What were the portions like for the sample menus?

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

All sold out for the Saturday :(

unless anyone knows of any freebies or competitions ?? :)

F.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

twerg_85 wrote: »
    All sold out for the Saturday :(

unless anyone knows of any freebies or competitions ?? :)

F.

They just tweeted that they just added more Saturday tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Blut2

I'm just after noticing on the event page - apparently its a 9pm end time? That seems very early for a Friday night. Doesn't leave much time for people arriving at 7pm ish after work, shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,880 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It was the same as Taste of Dublin, outdoor event - combination of not upsetting local residents and lack of daylight.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Anyone know what specials or new beers are available at this? So far I've only really noticed Rascals Czech Pilsner, I've seen the list of Breweries but nothing specific on what beers they're bringing. Hopefully the new ones won't all be gone by Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Anyone know what specials or new beers are available at this? So far I've only really noticed Rascals Czech Pilsner, I've seen the list of Breweries but nothing specific on what beers they're bringing. Hopefully the new ones won't all be gone by Sunday.

Kinnegar have a sour beer modelled on a Berliner Weisse, with a selection of syrups to go along with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Porterhouse have a DIPA there today, curious if it turned out any good

Kinnegar : saison and a sour, couple of core

Eight degrees : only core

Kinsale : high vis

Porter house : hopped to **** dipa

Trouble : sabotage, graffiti, remix

Metalman : windjammer, chameleon

And...separate from beer area Pilsner urquell.. Finns larger? Five lamps with a couple.Smith wicks : didn't look

Thanks for all that, some interesting ones there alright. And Pilsner Urquell from the tank should be nice.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Five lamps with a couple.
    Seems to be just a C&C stand serving Five Lamps Lager and that new C&C red ale.

Brewtonic has a new raspberry wheat beer and their Sim Simma hemp beer (both brewed at Rascal's). Franciscan Well has a Belgian Farmhouse Ale alongside the core ones. Metalman has Heatsink and Equinox as well as the beers mentioned above: there's an additional row of taps behind the bar. Rascal's also has Yankee, Wunderbar and Chardonnay Saison. Porterhouse also has Celebration and Black's has its new 3.8% pils.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭tomhalloween

Went along yesterday. Really enjoyed Kinnegars gooseberry sour and thought Porterhouse Hopped to **** was excellent and hid the high alcohol % well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Blut2

Also went along yesterday and enjoyed myself. The new 5eur 'sample' sizes that most stands had were great, let you try multiple things without breaking the bank. Queues were grand too.

It was absolutely worth going with a free ticket, and I'd pay around 5-7eur entry happily enough. But I think anyone paying the 18eur full whack today/tomorrow is a bit mad, its not worth almost 20eur entry plus then paying full price for food/drink inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,880 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I thought the Foxes \ Finns (not sure which!) Pilsner was very nice... preferred it to the Pilsner Urquell.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I thought the Foxes \ Finns (not sure which!) Pilsner was very nice... preferred it to the Pilsner Urquell.

Finns was the pilsner. Foxes was a pale ale.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I enjoyed the festival today. Atmosphere was great, good selection of stalls and the talks/demos were interesting. It was a little pricey (though portions were by no means stingy), but nothing you wouldn't expect at this sort of thing. Worked well going with my girlfriend as we were able to split most things that we got. Going with a few mates or on your own would make it more difficult to try as many things because of expense and portion size.

Ill likely head again next year if it's on.

Advertisement