Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"IF" a United Ireland did happen...(Mod warning in OP, stay on topic!))

Options
1111213141517»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭eire4

katydid wrote: »
    I refer to my previous answer.

Ahh that would be the one where you started back tracking on your previous "I will leave Ireland" and changing it too "if I can" after your self righteous indignation about child abuse in regards to Gerry Adams but not having the same indignation when it comes to the industrial scale abuse and sheer evil which our own government was directly involved in according to the McAleese and Ryan reports. Never mind the mother and child home abuse which we are still learning about.
    You hate Gerry Adams and that is an opinion your fully entitled to have. But at least try and be consistent when it comes to child abuse. Or is it that most of the victims that our own governments turned their backs on and allowed to be abused came mostly from disadvantaged and at risk backgrounds so no worries they don't really count. Is that your opinion as clearly it was the opinion of many in power in Ireland who knew what was happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Godge wrote: »
    I agree with this. There are so many people who have tied themselves to a very tired and old "republican" or "united Ireland" mast for the last 100 years or more. Now that we have dropped our territorial claim, we should be moving on forward and forgetting about the aspiration for a united Ireland. Those who get caught up in the wrongs of the past should be left in the past and the rhetoric left there with them.

I would love to see the 26-county Ireland for once stand proud on its own two feet and say that we don't need anything else to make us whole, we are great the way we are and move forward on that basis.

We dropped our claim as a compromise, to move forward and away from violence, not because anyone voluntarily wanted to drop it.

You'd love that would you? What pride is there to be taken from a man made political creation? I don't identify with that. I'm Irish and identify with Ireland, the land I was born in, regardless of of any man made structure or imaginary borders put in place and regardless of anyone else who inhabits the land. So when you tell people you are Irish do you envisage and picture in your head of the country and it encompassing 32 counties, or do you envisage a 26 county political state? Being Irish predates and transcends any political entity, and it's Ireland I'm proud to be from, encompassing every piece of land sprawling to every coast. If you ask anyone to draw or picture the country they come from, their default setting will be to draw or picture all 32 counties. Why? Because they are Irish. I don't hear to many people shouting they are proud to be from the Republic or Ireland or 26 counties. No pride to be taken in that whatsoever. You only hear it from the likes of yourself, who place more pride in political agenda's over your country and all it encompasses

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Redbishop wrote: »
    Sectarianism, according to one definition, is bigotry, discrimination, or hatred arising from attaching importance to perceived differences between subdivisions within a group, such as between different denominations of a religion, class, regional or factions of a political movement.
    Sectarianism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yep. And you're telling me this because...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

eire4 wrote: »
    Ahh that would be the one where you started back tracking on your previous "I will leave Ireland" and changing it too "if I can" after your self righteous indignation about child abuse in regards to Gerry Adams but not having the same indignation when it comes to the industrial scale abuse and sheer evil which our own government was directly involved in according to the McAleese and Ryan reports. Never mind the mother and child home abuse which we are still learning about.
    You hate Gerry Adams and that is an opinion your fully entitled to have. But at least try and be consistent when it comes to child abuse. Or is it that most of the victims that our own governments turned their backs on and allowed to be abused came mostly from disadvantaged and at risk backgrounds so no worries they don't really count. Is that your opinion as clearly it was the opinion of many in power in Ireland who knew what was happening.
    It would be the one where you got your answer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭DeJa VooDoo

Just as well kenny and his labour lackey ran back across the border when the talks were taking place recently, it seems he's nothing but a hindrance to political and social progress in the 6 counties.

http://www.sinnfein.ie/contents/32973

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭eire4

katydid wrote: »
    It would be the one where you got your answer...

Ahhh so you will not address my point that our government has had decades of involvement in abuse of children and women on a massive scale as shown in both the McAleese and Ryan reports and I shudder to think of the horrors that await us with the mother and child homes.

Your lack of conststency on abuse is very clear to see. Most of those abused were from poor and disadvantaged backgrounds so maybe like many in power who clearly didn't think they mattered you have the same view point. Either way your lack of consistency is very clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Not a hope that this thread will get back to the topic at this stage.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement