Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"IF" a United Ireland did happen...(Mod warning in OP, stay on topic!))

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

why it was called the troubles i will never know, it was war

We have a way of downplaying our issues in Ireland - a brutal conflict is called 'The Troubles' or 'An Gorta Mór' for the death of a million people by starvation.
    I think you would have to have lived here to see with your own eyes the things that went on the way we lived our lives .can you people think about the truth and the facts bloody Sunday did actually happen

The more I've discussed these issues here the more I've come to realise the effect that Section 31 censorship had on the public consciousness in the south - the Republican/Nationalist narrative was drowned out and the public consciousness was monopolised by revisionists and apologists for British/Unionist discrimination/violence/killing of our people.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

katydid wrote: »
    Hardly hysterical. Factual. They support SF, SF support terrorism. And don't say they don't - they attend terrorist memorials, and they fought for terrorists to be let out of prison early.

Factual? Do you have a dictionary? You should use it as you dont seem to know what factual means going by that post. Everyone in SF = non-Muslim Terrorist Apologists my arse.

Karl Stein wrote: »
    The more I've discussed these issues here the more I've come to realise the effect that Section 31 censorship had on the public consciousness in the south - the Republican/Nationalist narrative was drowned out and the public consciousness was monopolised by revisionists and apologists for British/Unionist discrimination/violence/killing of our people.

there seem to be many who like to criticise from their armchair, with absolutely no knowledge or understanding of the conflict itself. Most claim they know someone who lived there once and think that makes them an authority. Kinda ruins the forum as theres no point trying to debate with those kinds of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

So you'd describe the majority of SF voters, among others, as 'non-Muslim Terrorist Apologists'?

That a pretty hysterical view to hold.

As factual as referring to all of those who vote UUP or DUP as loyalist bigots and those who do not vote SF in the South to be West Brits which is what the original poster did.

I take it you have no problem with those labels.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭circadian

maccored wrote: »
    there seem to be many who like to criticise from their armchair, with absolutely no knowledge or understanding of the conflict itself. Most claim they know someone who lived there once and think that makes them an authority. Kinda ruins the forum as theres no point trying to debate with those kinds of people.

Pretty much why I bowed out of the thread. I was constantly being responded to with opinion presented as fact.

• Advertisement

circadian wrote: »
    Pretty much why I bowed out of the thread. I was constantly being responded to with opinion presented as fact.

same here. its actually put me off bothering with most NI related threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Godge wrote: »
    As factual as referring to all of those who vote UUP or DUP as loyalist bigots and those who do not vote SF in the South to be West Brits which is what the original poster did.

He did?

He did?

Here is his system of government with all of the various group labels included. I was only responding in kind. Sorry it was Free Staters he used rather than West Brits, but you know, it is a similarly insulting term.
    I liked the Iroquois system of government. It's a good model that Ireland could adopt. Mohawk = Loyalist bigots, Onondaga = Moderate Unionists, Tuscarora = Moderate Nationalists Oneida = Mainstream Republicans, Cayuga = Dissidents & Seneca = Free Staters. It worked for the United States it will work here to. It's the only way to get are hopelessly divided societies to work together.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Factual? Do you have a dictionary? You should use it as you dont seem to know what factual means going by that post. Everyone in SF = non-Muslim Terrorist Apologists my arse.

Explain why it's not factual. I outlined perfectly plainly the logic; SF supporters support SF. SF supports terrorists. Therefore SF supporters are terrorist supporters.

Where is the flaw in that clear argument?

We have a way of downplaying our issues in Ireland - a brutal conflict is called 'The Troubles' or 'An Gorta Mór' for the death of a million people by starvation.

Condemning murdering scum who blew up little children and people out having a drink on a Saturday night is not the same as being an apologist for discrimination or violence by anyone else.

The IRA were scum. Loyalist terrorists were wrong. No excuses, no explanations.
    SOME British forces were wrong.

End of.

End of.

• Advertisement

You know, the opposite can be argued, that those most involved in the "conflict" are the least well able to comment objectively on it as they were too close to what was going on.

Those of us who lived through the 1970s in what you might call the "Free State" and watched in horror as terrorists committed atrocities in our name are well entitled to comment on what we saw and what we felt and what we believe as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,642 ✭✭✭eire4

Explain why it's not factual. I outlined perfectly plainly the logic; SF supporters support SF. SF supports terrorists. Therefore SF supporters are terrorist supporters.

Sinn Fein is currently polling at over 20% within Ireland and has been on an upward curve in recent years. By your definition above then support for terrorism is on the rise in a very significant way.

Which of course is simply not the case. Yes in the past Sinn Fein supported the IRA. Fianna Fail and Fine Gael have gunmen in their past but moved on to become like them or loath them legit political parties. Sinn Fein's move in that direction obviously has been of more recent vintage but is obviously been recognised by a significant number of Irish voters.

Is that how your brain works things out? a postman murders someone. murderers are criminals. therefore all postmen are murdering criminals. 10 out of 10 there. well done. :rolleyes:

You know, the opposite can be argued, that those most involved in the "conflict" are the least well able to comment objectively on it as they were too close to what was going on.

Those of us who lived through the 1970s in what you might call the "Free State" and watched in horror as terrorists committed atrocities in our name are well entitled to comment on what we saw and what we felt and what we believe as a result.

the big difference is your version isnt based on actual reality. its based on what you saw on telly and what the man on the telly said (and the newspapers, irish government etc). If i wasnt from the north, you wouldnt see me involving myself in the discussions as I wouldnt know enough about it to make an argument.

eire4 wrote: »
    Sinn Fein is currently polling at over 20% within Ireland and has been on an upward curve in recent years. By your definition above then support for terrorism is on the rise in a very significant way.

Which of course is simply not the case. Yes in the past Sinn Fein supported the IRA. Fianna Fail and Fine Gael have gunmen in their past but moved on to become like them or loath them legit political parties. Sinn Fein's move in that direction obviously has been of more recent vintage but is obviously been recognised by a significant number of Irish voters.
    Yes, unfortunately it is. Many people don't even think about the reality of SF when they express support for them, but whether they go to the trouble to think about it or not, they are supporting their terrorist agenda.

SF have not left their terrorist past behind. They still attend "commemorations" for IRA terrorists, and have in the fairly recent past argued for leniency for terrorists like Pierce McCauley and others. They still call the terrorist campaign a "war", and refuse to condemn the murder of legitimate agents of the state. So no, they are NOT like FF or FG.

And whether or not we were on the spot, we know the difference from right and wrong...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,642 ✭✭✭eire4

Yes, unfortunately it is. Many people don't even think about the reality of SF when they express support for them, but whether they go to the trouble to think about it or not, they are supporting their terrorist agenda.

SF have not left their terrorist past behind. They still attend "commemorations" for IRA terrorists, and have in the fairly recent past argued for leniency for terrorists like Pierce McCauley and others. They still call the terrorist campaign a "war", and refuse to condemn the murder of legitimate agents of the state. So no, they are NOT like FF or FG.

Well I am glad we got your opinion all clear. Your opinion is very clearly stated now that anybody who votes Sinn Fein supports terrorism. No grey area there at all in that.

Clearly a large number of Irish people now vote Sinn Fein and I have no doubt they do not support terrorism. They support the political view points of Sinn Fein on various social and economic issues.

Well I am glad we got your opinion all clear. Your opinion is very clearly stated now that anybody who votes Sinn Fein supports terrorism. No grey area there at all in that.

Clearly a large number of Irish people now vote Sinn Fein and I have no doubt they do not support terrorism. They support the political view points of Sinn Fein on various social and economic issues.
    If they support SF they support terrorism, because SF supports terrorism. That's the fact, whether or not they are clued in enough to work it out.

Your opinion is very clearly stated now that anybody who votes Sinn Fein supports terrorism. No grey area there at all in that.

thankfully its just a bigoted opinion and not an actual fact.

thankfully its just a bigoted opinion and not an actual fact.

How is it a bigoted opinion? Do you deny that SF calls the terror campaign a war? Do you deny that they defended terrorists and tried to get them released early? Terrorists such as Pierce McCauley, and others? Do you deny that SF members attend commemorations for terrorists, such as the hunger strikers?

These are the acts of terrorist supporters. If they are terrorist supporters, then their supporters approve of terrorism.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

Do you deny that SF members attend commemorations for terrorists

What if they attend Easter 1916 commemorations?

RED L4 0TH wrote: »
    What if they attend Easter 1916 commemorations?

They're not commemorations for terrorists.

They're not commemorations for terrorists.

What mandate did they have?

What mandate did they have?

None. But they were't terrorists. They didn't set out to deliberately blow up little children and people having a pint.

None. But they were't terrorists. They didn't set out to deliberately blow up little children and people having a pint.

Was 1916 justified? Many civilians died during it.

Was 1916 justified? Many civilians died during it.

Yes, it was. It was not a terrorist action; its aim wasn't to terrorise the population.

The IRA targeted ordinary people going about their business, just for the hell of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Condemning murdering scum who blew up little children and people out having a drink on a Saturday night is not the same as being an apologist for discrimination or violence by anyone else.

The IRA were scum. Loyalist terrorists were wrong. No excuses, no explanations.
    SOME British forces were wrong.

End of.

End of.

Funny how you only call loyalists wrong when your actually called up on it, when you have, to seem fair and objective . Happy enough to criticize just the one side it seems up until then, and then go back to doing it.

Also I love how the IRA are "scum", but loyalists are only "wrong".

I see you've still not replied to any of Karl's points. Guess he was right. Your not able to rationally reply to any specific points, just stick your fingers in your ears, and repeat the one thing over and over.

Also, just because you explain your logic, doesn't make it fact. You really need to grow up, instead of acting like a petulant spoilt child

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Yes, it was. It was not a terrorist action; its aim wasn't to terrorise the population.

The IRA targeted ordinary people going about their business, just for the hell of it.

Ye just for the hell of it. No other reason, no? How do you expect people to try and see where your coming from when you regurgitate rubbish like that?

How is it a bigoted opinion? Do you deny that SF calls the terror campaign a war? Do you deny that they defended terrorists and tried to get them released early? Terrorists such as Pierce McCauley, and others? Do you deny that SF members attend commemorations for terrorists, such as the hunger strikers?

These are the acts of terrorist supporters. If they are terrorist supporters, then their supporters approve of terrorism.

it is bigoted to assume that all SF supporters are muslin terrorists whatever rubbish you came out with. or that everyone who attends a republican funeral is a terrorist. Thats the kind of crap you'd read in the sun for gods sake. Is that how youve educated yourself on this subject? through the redtops?

I already answered this question by the way on the other page, the last time we were at this stage of your roundabout. You managed to ignore that one, so I'll post it here again:

Is that how your brain works things out? a postman murders someone. murderers are criminals. therefore all postmen are murdering criminals. 10 out of 10 there. well done. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭rockatansky

Terrorists, Terrorists, Sinn Fein Terrorists, Terrorists, Terrorists, Terrorists, Sinn Fein Terrorists, Terrorists, Terrorists, Terrorists, Terrorists, Terrorists Sinn Fein!!

Am I doing it right??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement