Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who rides Australia at York?

Options
  • 13-08-2014 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭

Joey can't do weight, Moore on Telescope

Seamie or Colm aren't trusted on the foreign tracks

I suppose the Dettori love in will be rekindled?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Has Heffernan suddenly become a bad jockey?
    I'd assume he'd be the automatic choice after Joseph & Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

Not at all, but he's just not fashionable

Maybe with Moore unavailable he might get the chance, but I'm not sure - maybe its down to a lack of experience on the UK tracks, they might want to go with a local jock

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭FIVE2_THREE

Tom Queally or Christoph Soumillon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭rossom

Would be shocked if Tom Queally was in the running myself.

Soumillon might ride. I'd personally give it Seamie. Been a stalwart at Ballydoyle for years and I've always felt he's quite an underrated jockey. Has plenty of big races to his name including 6 Classics and I'd certainly have no qualms legging him up if I was the owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,441 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

You'd have to think it'll be Seamie, he's typically third choice jockey behind Joseph and Ryan.

The real question though is what's the future for Joseph? If you look at the Ballydoyle rides for the last few weeks, it's Seamie who has been taking all the rides that are carrying 9 stone. Is this Joseph's last season as first choice stable jockey at Ballydoyle?

• Advertisement

his brother Donnacha (who Joseph has openly admitted is a better jockey) is being groomed as a long-term replacement.
    it's just a matter of how long, I'd say Joseph will step down at the end of next year.

rossom wrote: »
    Would be shocked if Tom Queally was in the running myself.

Soumillon might ride. I'd personally give it Seamie. Been a stalwart at Ballydoyle for years and I've always felt he's quite an underrated jockey. Has plenty of big races to his name including 6 Classics and I'd certainly have no qualms legging him up if I was the owner.

I tossed those two names out there for the fun of it. if Tom got the call I wouldn't be surprised. He did start out by ridding work for Aidan at Ballydoyle and He knows what it's like to be under presser.

You'd have to think it'll be Seamie, he's typically third choice jockey behind Joseph and Ryan.

The real question though is what's the future for Joseph? If you look at the Ballydoyle rides for the last few weeks, it's Seamie who has been taking all the rides that are carrying 9 stone. Is this Joseph's last season as first choice stable jockey at Ballydoyle?

John Magnier doesn't want to appoint or pay for another stable jockey.Joe was kind of like a default stable jockey. long term plans must be drawn up because I don't see Don O'Brien being a solution. He is more so following the crowd. his other three siblings are jockeys so he took to the saddle to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭cack_handed

John Magnier doesn't want to appoint or pay for another stable jockey.Joe was kind of like a default stable jockey. long term plans must be drawn up because I don't see Don O'Brien being a solution. He is more so following the crowd. his other three siblings are jockeys so he took to the saddle to.

It's not that i'm doubting you, but has Magnier explicity stated that? I cant really agree with that line of thinking, i'd always want a proven retained jockey in a top stable....but then he's the billionaire supremo so he may know better than me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭chinguetti

You would think that they'll pick someone who maybe free in future times if they aim Australia at other age for all races if JPOB can't do the weight again. With Coolmore probably going down the line of speed over stamina, a G1 over 10f is the only thing they'll worry about for now.

• Advertisement

It's not that i'm doubting you, but has Magnier explicity stated that? I cant really agree with that line of thinking, i'd always want a proven retained jockey in a top stable....but then he's the billionaire supremo so he may know better than me ;)

Well He has stated that He prefers things the way they are currently going.given how his last two retained jockeys quit on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

I often wonder why Seamie and Colm don't pick up more spare rides for the the two top experienced jockeys that they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 colmokeeffe

ATR are reporting on Twitter that "Joseph O'Brien tells @AtTheRaces he may yet ride Australia in the Juddmonte International at York - full interview coming up later." Maybe he'll declare overweight?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭rossom

ATR are reporting on Twitter that "Joseph O'Brien tells @AtTheRaces he may yet ride Australia in the Juddmonte International at York - full interview coming up later." Maybe he'll declare overweight?

Doubt that'll happen. Think he'll try and make 8-12. May come up 1 or 2lb overweight but how can you justify allowing a jockey to knowingly put up 2lb overweight well in advance when serious breeding money is on the table. If Australia got beaten by a short margin with 2lb overweight it would be a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 colmokeeffe

Doubt that'll happen. Think he'll try and make 8-12. May come up 1 or 2lb overweight but how can you justify allowing a jockey to knowingly put up 2lb overweight well in advance when serious breeding money is on the table. If Australia got beaten by a short margin with 2lb overweight it would be a disaster.

He's riding Magician in Arlington Saturday, Does anyone know what weight he has to do for that race?

Feel for the lad,was talking to someone the other day and joseph and his sister pulled up at Supermacs after racing and she had her supermacs and he had a few segments of a mandiran orange.

Don't mind JOB as a rider but this is something I have not seen in racing before on a consistent basis with one jockey,they even were declaring it at declarations stage last year,

Amazed that he can still do 9st this year and think its time he should move on and start jocking Robbie Power of.

He's riding Magician in Arlington Saturday, Does anyone know what weight he has to do for that race?

126lbs/9 stone

• Registered Users Posts: 16,441 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

He already cost Tapestry the Oaks after weighing in 1.6lb overweight and being beaten narrowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

Its a proverbial struggle for Joseph to o nine stone now, he can just about manage 9 stone 1

if he was riding in the UK full time, there is no way the stewards would put up with it like their Irish counterparts

Granted must punters know the situation with regards to his weight, but still its treating the punters with contempt to allow it to continue without sanction

I've said it before, but his constant wasting and use of postage stamp saddles to get near the weight is bound to have a detrimental impact on his ability to ride out a close finish amongst the top jocks

Andalucia wrote: »
    Granted must punters know the situation with regards to his weight, but still its treating the punters with contempt to allow it to continue without sanction

I've said it before, but his constant wasting and use of postage stamp saddles to get near the weight is bound to have a detrimental impact on his ability to ride out a close finish amongst the top jocks

tbh I don't give two ****s about how it effects his riding skills, or how punters feel about it.
    it's the potential effects on his health that I care about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭andyman

tbh I don't give two ****s about how it effects his riding skills, or how punters feel about it.
    it's the potential effects on his health that I care about.

This for me. It must be a horrifying ordeal for him.

He already cost Tapestry the Oaks after weighing in 1.6lb overweight and being beaten narrowly.
    And have a look at where his stirrups(couldn't even call it a saddle) ended up in the finish of the race as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

I hate how matter of factly this is said. How do you know Bracelet wouldn't have battled if he got to her?

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭bit of a bogey

Completely agree. Would be outrageous to put up overweight.

On jockey order, I'm personally a big fan of O'Donoghue. I'd have no problem putting him up on one of mine and would have him ahead of Heffernan.

Don't think I'd agree with this. I don't know John Magnier but would be extremely surprised if paying another jockey was a pet hate of his. Its too valuable an industry.

They weren't afraid to throw the money at Lester and I think they would do the same again if Joseph wasn't around. If Donnacha shows any sort of natural development, he's a certainty to replace Joseph, especially with the loyalty O'Brien is showing to the others. Joseph wasn't ready for the job when he got it and Sarah and Ana are being given ridiculous opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

Don't think I'd agree with this. I don't know John Magnier but would be extremely surprised if paying another jockey was a pet hate of his. Its too valuable an industry.

They weren't afraid to throw the money at Lester and I think they would do the same again if Joseph wasn't around. If Donnacha shows any sort of natural development, he's a certainty to replace Joseph, especially with the loyalty O'Brien is showing to the others. Joseph wasn't ready for the job when he got it and Sarah and Ana are being given ridiculous opportunities.

What are these ridiculous opportunities?

What are these ridiculous opportunities?

They are both limited jockeys who are getting mounts for well bred horses in the yard - for both McManus and Magnier.

Yes Lester Piggott who is the greatest Jockey of ALL TIME. can you blame them ? When Frankie was let go by the Maktoums He went to Ballydoyle to ride work. If John wanted a stable jockey he would have inked a deal then. The man said he doesn't want one.

They are both limited jockeys who are getting mounts for well bred horses in the yard - for both McManus and Magnier.

Most of their mounts come from their mother.

• Advertisement

Most of their mounts come from their mother.

A lot of them have but nowhere near all of them. Any apprentice would be overcome to get mounts they do.

Advertisement