Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelers trying to steal my dog

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Brian Lighthouse

Just spotted this thread on the top ten, anyway, up this way the new trend is to steal a much loved dog and let the distraught owners know where the dog is. The dog will be given back to the owners for a sum of money. Relief all-round eh?
    If they were following you, I think they were letting you know where to drop the money just in case you do find the dog is not in the garden, while also checking out if you were they type to afford €250 or €500.
    Keep your pets in, and away from the blackmailers.

On the other hand if your dog is howling all night maybe it's one of your neigbours who asked the local dog hit-man to do a job on your fella. I doubt it though, it's a cute little puppy. - (edit here) You can rule this out is it only goes out for a pee.
    Also do you know that Huskies can dig about 3-4 feet underground and make tunnels? I wish you the best with your dog and I hope it remains with you, but Huskies are not pets. They are bred for a different reason. I know this is off topic, but I wanted to say that.
    Probably not advisable to let people know to much about your house either.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Allegrif

Just spotted this thread on the top ten, anyway, up this way the new trend is to steal a much loved dog and let the distraught owners know where the dog is. The dog will be given back to the owners for a sum of money. Relief all-round eh?
    If they were following you, I think they were letting you know where to drop the money just in case you do find the dog is not in the garden, while also checking out if you were they type to afford €250 or €500.
    Keep your pets in, and away from the blackmailers.

On the other hand if your dog is howling all night maybe it's one of your neigbours who asked the local dog hit-man to do a job on your fella. I doubt it though, it's a cute little puppy.
    Also do you know that Huskies can dig about 3-4 feet underground and make tunnels? I wish you the best with your dog and I hope it remains with you, but Huskies are not pets. They are bred for a different reason. I know this is off topic, but I wanted to say that.

She's not a Husky. Huskies are mental. She's an Alaskan Malamute, they look similar but are considerably bigger and much, much calmer. Huskies are the ones built for speed and energy. She's still a puppy and she's incredibly lazy. She's still a sled dog yes, but if anyone has time for her it's us. We don't work (not claiming anything, have our own money), so we have all the time in the world for her, and we're young and healthy. Just sayin' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Brian Lighthouse

Cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

You say he was in your garden but what was he actually doing?

Was he at the dog, calling the dog, lifting the dog? What disturbed him? What made you think hes after your dog exactly? What happened in the time he got in and the time he left?

Seems like a really dumb move to drive along beside someone at 4mph if you intend on robbing from them. Why would the do that if they already know where you live?

Also in the whole time the car was driving beside you you didnt think to take out a phone and start recording a video no?

None of this makes any sense or theres a lot of info being left out. Slight paranoia exaggeration id say.

Either way bring the dog into the kitchen at night. Itll give the neighbours a break from your dog howling which im sure they dont like anyway.

Jesus is it that hard to believe like? We're not tarring all with the same brush here but from what he OP says (Which is all any of us have to go on) this particular group sound like your bog standard 'copper recycling' scum. You don't find it suspicious a 15 year old lad was just dandering around in their back garden. Just init for a walk was he?

And save the faux outrage about the dog barking. Defender of the minorities here are ye? There's less of them than us so they must be allowed do what they please. The man feared for losing his dog must be in the wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Jesus is it that hard to believe like? We're not tarring all with the same brush here but from what he OP says (Which is all any of us have to go on) this particular group sound like your bog standard 'copper recycling' scum. You don't find it suspicious a 15 year old lad was just dandering around in their back garden. Just init for a walk was he?

And save the faux outrage about the dog barking. Defender of the minorities here are ye? There's less of them than us so they must be allowed do what they please. The man feared for losing his dog must be in the wrong.

Faux outrage. Theres a good one.

Of course i find it dodgy alright but what indication was given they are after the dog is the point im making? Where they lifting the dog over the wall when bothered? Where they whistling to call the dog? Was the dog even in the garden?

Also explain why they would drive along beside them at 4mph? What was to gain by that? They where already in the garden so know where the house is.

Travellers or not this doesnt make sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,221 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Also explain why they would drive along beside them at 4mph? What was to gain by that? They where already in the garden so know where the house is.

Of course it does.

Say they heard there was an expensive dog around and they want to get a look at it first before deciding to steal a dog that turns out to be a mutt. How do they look at the dog, they can't knock on the door after all? Well, maybe they seen the dog being walked, and having no shame drove up and followed it for a short bit, getting a good look and trying to judge if it really was a pedigree dog.

You'll see it from gypsies full time, they'll brazenly drive into a yard and slowly drive around it scoping out anything worth stealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

If I recall right, there has also been at least one instance that I know of, of a dog being snatched from its owner there and then on the street, in Waterford. Snatching the dog is easy I suppose, but to get away quickly you need a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Dogs are also been taking for use by the dog-fighting fraternity. Its a disgusting and horrendous thing to consider, for they have no intention of using the dogs in fights, but just using them as training fodder for their pit-bulls and the like. These family pets have next to no chance of surviving such an encounter. If I caught a young fella in my back garden I wouldn't think twice about taking every action against him I felt I needed to - any. I'm prepared. I'll take my chances and face the consequences...... Scum

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭crustybla

The op is right to be paranoid about it. I was walking with my 8 yr old daughter and my prize pet ( a little 18 month old pedigree mutt!) when a bunch of these wonderful, honest, poor put-upon 'people' pulled up in their (fairly new) car beeping and roaring 'give us de dag Mrs', and not in a nice way. My poor daughter got a fright. They're renowned for it.
    Doggie day care is a great suggestion op. I would ring the guards though, at least it's logged so they'll be aware of it. Whether they'd do anything about it is anyone's guess though.
    It's awful that you have to worry about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Can you put spikes on the back wall? There could be issues of liability if someone hurt themselves on it, but by the sounds of it, it's not a wall that people would be hopping over to get a ball back.

If you're nervous/shy, I bet a whole bunch of boardsies would happily record a "Get the f*** out of my garden" or "Get away from the f***ing dog before I bates ya" roars that you could play out the window :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭mphalo1

so she's to neuter the dog ,put a GPS tracking collar on it labeling its neutered , micro chipped, full CCTV , Razer wire fence on the wall , inform the gaurds, get an attack bear , a fire arm, keep the dog indoors at night and in doggy day care while at work with a big sign up saying the house is under 24 hr CCTV and if all that doesn't work sell the house and move as far away as possible .( sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 ice30

these guys are scum op, with a total disregard for everyone and I hope they do not get ethnic status as they do not deserve it, being 'traveller'or whatever u want to call it, is a lifestyle choice, their kids are pulled out of school early to go to horse fairs and the like, and finish school with barely an education at all,so are destined for the dole, could nt we all be travelers if we wanted to ,get some cash, buy a hiace ,sell some gates, talk like an ar*sehole and marry your cousin, its about time the powers that be stand up for the ordinary descent tax payer in country, and bring in strict laws for these overfed and under worked parasites

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 Jboss

Not the best looking dogs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Faux outrage. Theres a good one.

Of course i find it dodgy alright but what indication was given they are after the dog is the point im making? Where they lifting the dog over the wall when bothered? Where they whistling to call the dog? Was the dog even in the garden?

They were brazenly sussing out the best plan of action. The reason they were so obvious about it is that certain minorities have no fear of the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I agree, there's enough precedents in co Waterford in the last few years to justify being very suspicious of someone jumping into your garden and following you in the car when you walk the dog.
    The number of "missing posters" on Facebook where dogs have been taken from a back garden/yard is shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Dogs are also been taking for use by the dog-fighting fraternity. Its a disgusting and horrendous thing to consider, for they have no intention of using the dogs in fights, but just using them as training fodder for their pit-bulls and the like. These family pets have next to no chance of surviving such an encounter. If I caught a young fella in my back garden I wouldn't think twice about taking every action against him I felt I needed to - any. I'm prepared. I'll take my chances and face the consequences...... Scum

And the Gardaí and pound know about this and refuse to do anything about it, therefore condone it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Thoie wrote: »
    Can you put spikes on the back wall? There could be issues of liability if someone hurt themselves on it, but by the sounds of it, it's not a wall that people would be hopping over to get a ball back.

If you're nervous/shy, I bet a whole bunch of boardsies would happily record a "Get the f*** out of my garden" or "Get away from the f***ing dog before I bates ya" roars that you could play out the window :)

Anyone trying to climb over an 8 foot wall deserves to be hurt, theres a reason its not half the size

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Place highly visible "Aggressive Guard Dog" signs.

also "electronic surveylance signs"

Highly visible real or fake surveillance cameras, the ones that sound alarm when the beam is broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Deranged96

If i saw anyone, man woman or child, go after my dog I would not be responsible for my actions.

OP, i'd say walk the dog around their turf, and if you're a woman bring a man along with you.
    They know you have a good dog and now they need to know that you know they have their eyes on her.
    I'd also report that incident with the young fella to the gaurds and if you plan on getting a second dog, get a shepherd, one with an attitude. they're too common to be targets but are worth their weight in gold to have walking around the garden ( make sure its not one of these new fangled ones they've breed to be quiet as a lamb)
    and yeah, c'mon, if you're living in a town anyway you need to have a security system of some sort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

I would definitely report the thing about someone being in your garden.

Does/Could the dog sleep in the same room or near your room? That might provide some comfort at night knowing the dog is safe.

I firmly believe anyone that can steal another persons pet is truly evil.

I sincerely wish you the best and I hope it works out OK for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Fate Amenable To Change

Deranged96 wrote: »
    If i saw anyone, man woman or child, go after my dog I would not be responsible for my actions.

OP, i'd say walk the dog around their turf, and if you're a woman bring a man along with you.
    They know you have a good dog and now they need to know that you know they have their eyes on her.
    I'd also report that incident with the young fella to the gaurds and if you plan on getting a second dog, get a shepherd, one with an attitude. they're too common to be targets but are worth their weight in gold to have walking around the garden ( make sure its not one of these new fangled ones they've breed to be quiet as a lamb)
    and yeah, c'mon, if you're living in a town anyway you need to have a security system of some sort.

Are you crazy? You want her to waltz in to a halting site with a puppy...

Shes best putting up some wire if she is allowed on the wall and reporting it to the guards for all its worth. A visible fake camera might help. It is a pity people have to put up with such rubbish. The car following is intimidation if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Deranged96

Are you crazy? You want her to waltz in to a halting site with a puppy...

Shes best putting up some wire if she is allowed on the wall and reporting it to the guards for all its worth. A visible fake camera might help. It is a pity people have to put up with such rubbish. The car following is intimidation if you ask me.

Past the halting site :D Its not like they'll jump out at her with crowbars.

And yes, otherwise she's waiting for her dog to be stolen. Real tactics have to be implemented- reporting the likelihood of your dog being stolen will do nothing at all

• Registered Users Posts: 22,247 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Thoie wrote: »

This works better than spikes.

http://www.paintshop.ie/Anti-Vandal-System/Anti-Intruder-Paint.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

mphalo1 wrote: »
    so she's to neuter the dog ,put a GPS tracking collar on it labeling its neutered , micro chipped, full CCTV , Razer wire fence on the wall , inform the gaurds, get an attack bear , a fire arm, keep the dog indoors at night and in doggy day care while at work with a big sign up saying the house is under 24 hr CCTV and if all that doesn't work sell the house and move as far away as possible .( sorted!

All this for a few tinkers, it's great living within the laws of the land.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

Allegrif wrote: »
    Only thing putting me of the Gardai is fear of what'd happen to me. The gypsies living near us are not a nice bunch at all. We can walk down the street and they shout abuse at us without even knowing who we are, without us saying a word. From what I've heard from others around here even the Gardai are scared of this particular bunch. They're just left to do what they want. I'd be too scared to report them. We're looking at alarm systems but they're expensive and a motion detector would be no good with the dog. We're also only in Waterford until about January, so it'd be a lot of money for not a long time if we bought an alarm.

Motion sensors can be set to a level that avoids being triggered by most pets I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭brandnewaward

put a layer of concrete on top of your wall and stud it completely with broken glass and the nights you got the pup inside , deploy a fox trap or two in the back garden. grand job

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

report report report

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

report report report

Advertisement