Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelers trying to steal my dog

Options
  • 13-08-2014 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I have a 3 month old Alaskan Malamute pedigree puppy. When we walk her she always gets a lot of attention, I think probably because she's quite a rare breed. Anyway, she howls when she's outside so everyone in the area knows where she lives. A couple of nights ago we caught a lad (maybe 15?) who we know to be a traveler stood in our garden. Now let me explain that to get into our garden you've got to climb onto an 8 foot concrete wall off a main road, then balance on it past 3 other gardens before you'd reach us. That's a lot of effort to just randomly end up in our garden.

Then tonight we took her for a walk and a silver Volkswagen Passat estate followed us almost the entire way, going past us repeatedly. They even pulled onto our tiny cul-de-sac and followed us at about 4mph, before doing a u-turn and driving off.

What really gets me is that I know exactly where these people live, and the car had a lad in it who must have been 9 at the oldest. They were teaching him either how to nick dogs or which ones were worth nicking.

What can I do? She's too small to be threatening to anyone, and we can't be in the house with her all the time. We don't have an alarm. I'm really quite frightened someone's going to nab her. It's even scarier because we're not native to Waterford so have absolutely no family or friends here.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

If the car is freaking you out, get the reg and report it to the Gardai.

If someone trespasses in your gardens, report it to the Gardai immediately.

If someone is acting suspiciously around your property, report it to the Gardai immediately.

Can you not leave the dog in the garden or do something to 'up' the security? If the house is fairly secure they may not break in but if they can mount a wall into your backgarden it's a different kettle of fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Allegrif

Only thing putting me of the Gardai is fear of what'd happen to me. The gypsies living near us are not a nice bunch at all. We can walk down the street and they shout abuse at us without even knowing who we are, without us saying a word. From what I've heard from others around here even the Gardai are scared of this particular bunch. They're just left to do what they want. I'd be too scared to report them. We're looking at alarm systems but they're expensive and a motion detector would be no good with the dog. We're also only in Waterford until about January, so it'd be a lot of money for not a long time if we bought an alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭kjbsrah1

Make sure the dog is chipped at the very least so that if she is stolen and found/recovered s/he will be returned to you. Too many dogs stolen with no identifier on them and too many recovered and no way of knowing where the dogs owners are...

She's chipped :)

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Are you keeping the dog in at night?

• Advertisement

jayboi wrote: »
    Are you keeping the dog in at night?

Yes, she's an indoor dog. Still very young and not fully trained so she sleeps in a crate at night and when we're out.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Allegrif wrote: »
    Yes, she's an indoor dog. Still very young and not fully trained so she sleeps in a crate at night and when we're out.
    Do you think they might try and break in your house?

jayboi wrote: »
    Do you think they might try and break in your house?

I really don't know, that's why I'm asking for advice. Every instinct tells me to phone the Gardai, but we have horror stories from family friends over what happened when they reported gypsies over in England :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Squatman

Allegrif wrote: »
    I really don't know, that's why I'm asking for advice. Every instinct tells me to phone the Gardai, but we have horror stories from family friends over what happened when they reported gypsies over in England :/

How far would you be willing to let them go before you called the gaurds? If they stabbed you, would you be still afraid of what they would do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

Get the cops involved, they are well aware of "members of the copper recycling community" robbing dogs, its happened a good few times and they will do it again because they have no respect for anyone else, anyones property or anyones possessions... Best to get the details (car reg, description of occupants of car etc..) to the cops so that in the event your dog is taken they will have a line of inquiry to follow before the dog gets transported to one of their other nomad camps up the country..

H

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

It's an expense, but maybe doggy day care might set your mind at rest for the few months you'll be there ?
    http://www.innthedoghouse.ie/play---doggie-day-care
    That's only an example that came up in google search, there might be others.

Maybe even just 2 or 3 weeks of daycare might put them off the scent...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭mphalo1

my god id sell the house and move as far away as possible no joking !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭dzilla

Call the guards. We had a similiar situation before, the sight of the guards changed everything haven't had a problem since.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

It's not too expensive to get a webcam set up watching over the garden and use a PC connected to it to take still images every 5 or 10 seconds. You can do this under control of the webcam software.These images can then be formed into a stop-motion video if needed to review every evening. Get a good quality/HD Webcam (some point-and-shoot digital cameras might even work) as image recognition will be important for the guards should someone get into the garden; mount it inside a window where it isn't easily blocked - preferably upstairs. Put up a BIG sign staying that the garden is under constant video surveillance (bearing in mind your neighbours right to privacy etc) Deterrence is possibly as much as you can do.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I just wish I didn't have to feel unsafe in my own house, no matter what I end up doing about it. It's just not right is it? I mean it's bad enough to steal someone'e bike or their TV, but their dog? That takes a new level of cruelty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

Possibly something like this as well but if they take the collar off there and then I don't know if it would be much good.

http://tractive.com/shop/en/tractive-gps-gerat

bazual wrote: »
    Possibly something like this as well but if they take the collar off there and then I don't know if it would be much good.

Brilliant idea that, I'll just have a look and see if I can find a less noticeable one. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Duvetdays

I can't see how a web cam would be much of a deterrent. These people know they're pretty much above the law for a lot of things, the police either can't be bothered with the hassle or their hands are tied. Plus she'd be long gone by the time the police call to the house.

I'd doggy day care her for the remainder of time you're in Waterford it's piece of mind. GPS on her collar is a good idea but the collar will be removed as soon as they take her. I'd put on her tag that's she microchipped and neutered even if she isn't neutered yet, that way if they where planning on selling her to a puppy farm breeder she won't be of any use then but unfortunately it won't stop them trying to sell her at one of the fairs. I'd also probably invest in a big stick or a can of pepper spray for when your walking her in case they try and grab her off you.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Knock Off Nigel

Buy yourself a glock 17 only way to protect you and your dog in this day and age

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Mr_Red

I see the mention of webcams which is a good Idea but not a deterrent.

What you actually want is big ass CCTV cameras which are clearly viable in the front side and back of your house

I would also put Sensor lights in that react to movement.

No point in recording the crime. Better to deter it from happening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

I would second what was said here. Also Sensor Lights out the back will act as a deterrant, someone in the yard / garden will panic when the light comes on. Maybe have two, on your back wall facing into the garden, one set slightly to the left, and one set slightly to the right, to cover all angles. If you have just one pointing straight out theres blind spots at the sides.

Secondly, a dummy alarm box might be a deterrant if you cannot afford a proper alarm system. The visible box types that can be bought on ebay etc (aldi or lidl had them a few weeks ago).

Another little thing is when leaving the house unoccupied, leave on a radio/tv, light etc so people think someone is home...Can you move from there earlier than January? Chat with your neighbours too, maybe all pull together as a neighbourhood watch and explain what has happened to them... No neighbourhood wants this happening to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 ice30

most modern alarms that have motion detection wont be set off by a cat or dog,think a good system would be about €1200 or that

• Registered Users Posts: 25 ice30

there was a word introduced years ago...anarcho tyranny, the tyranny is the law abiding citizen getting more and more rules and regulations put upon them and the anarchy is people like this going out doing what they like and the powers that be will stand and do nothing this is why this country is goin down the toilet, maybe you should report them to the gardai but at the end of the day these guys probably have no fixed abode or they will say this anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Hope you can get sorted with something that makes you a bit more comfortable OP, horrible situation to be in. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Purchase a fire arm - legally & let them know you have one!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,209 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Get another dog as a playmate for the puppy.

And by other dog I mean an attack bear.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,855 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I wonder when the point will come in this Country that sheltering under a claim of ethnicity or the flag of convenience that is the equal status act will no longer be acceptable to the population as a whole as an excuse for petty theft, serious crime, intimidation, violence, tax evasion and laundering, public order offences, road traffic offences and animal cruelty.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I wonder when the point will come in this Country that sheltering under a claim of ethnicity or the flag of convenience that is the equal status act will no longer be acceptable to the population as a whole as an excuse for petty theft, serious crime, intimidation, violence, tax evasion and laundering, public order offences, road traffic offences and animal cruelty.

The group I'm on about treat their horses like absolute dirt. We've seen them beating them in the middle of the road, but what can you even do? The ISPCA know them well, we see their van on their patch all the time, but it seems they can't do anything about it. They did take one of their dogs once, but that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

You say he was in your garden but what was he actually doing?

Was he at the dog, calling the dog, lifting the dog? What disturbed him? What made you think hes after your dog exactly? What happened in the time he got in and the time he left?

Seems like a really dumb move to drive along beside someone at 4mph if you intend on robbing from them. Why would the do that if they already know where you live?

Also in the whole time the car was driving beside you you didnt think to take out a phone and start recording a video no?

None of this makes any sense or theres a lot of info being left out. Slight paranoia exaggeration id say.

Either way bring the dog into the kitchen at night. Itll give the neighbours a break from your dog howling which im sure they dont like anyway.

• Advertisement

You say he was in your garden but what was he actually doing?

Was he at the dog, calling the dog, lifting the dog? What disturbed him? What made you think hes after your dog exactly? What happened in the time he got in and the time he left?

Seems like a really dumb move to drive along beside someone at 4mph if you intend on robbing from them. Why would the do that if they already know where you live?

Also in the whole time the car was driving beside you you didnt think to take out a phone and start recording a video no?

None of this makes any sense or theres a lot of info being left out. Slight paranoia exaggeration id say.

Either way bring the dog into the kitchen at night. Itll give the neighbours a break from your dog howling which im sure they dont like anyway.

The lad jumped off the wall down into our garden, had a look round and scarpered. I didn't say anything to him because I have about as much confidence as a three-legged squirrel, that's just how I am. At school I was the quiet kid at the back who got bullied and so never said a word, and that stuck with me. Car was probably a follow-up to make sure it was this house. We don't take our phones when we walk the dog. There are only two of us in the country, no family or friends. Phones are pretty much useless to us if we're only going to be out 20 minutes with people all around us.

If it's paranoia it's only because there have been lots of break-ins here recently according to our letting agent and the house across the street has a garden surrounded by razor wire on top of its walls.

I think it's pretty sensible to be wary.

Also, if you read the thread you'd know I keep her in at night. She only goes out for a pee.

Advertisement