Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wean yoursel off tea/coffee

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Talisman

I used to drink 7-10 mugs of coffee a day and the odd cup of tea whenever my wife was having one. Initially I tried to do cold turkey, no coffee/tea but the headache was something else and the slightest thing would irritate me. I lasted until the third day before I cracked and had a cup of coffee to relieve the headache.

I always hated those herbal teas but decided to try substitute them for coffee and tea. Initially I alternated between coffee and a herbal tea and limited myself to 7 cups a day 4 coffee, 3 tea and the next day 4 tea, 3 coffee. The result was I had no headache and in the process acquired a taste/appreciation for herbal teas.

After a week I reduced my consumption to limit myself to 3 cups of coffee a day and the following week it was 1 cup. That was over 6 months ago.

Now I drink 2 cups of herbal tea a day and 1 black coffee per week. I haven't had a traditional cup of tea in 3 months. I drink a lot more water now and also have added more protein to my diet which gives me the energy buzz to last the day. I was never a breakfast person and I think that was the root cause of my coffee/tea diet.

On the herbal tea front, they are an acquired taste.
    Twinnings - I found their range of teas to taste very oily.
    Barry's Green Tea With Lemon - this got me on the green tea train.
    Lidl's Lemon and Ginger tea is the best they have to offer.
    Pukka's range of teas are my personal favourite. Supreme Matcha Green is now my tea of choice.

As others have found, reducing my intake has given me an appreciation of the single cup of coffee when I have it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

got as far as 5 pm before i had a coffee today. got up in morning determined to avoid tea and bread today, god knows i was edgy in morning, anyway i had a cup of tea,slice of boiled meat and tomato at 7 and went back out to keep occupied. kinda satisfied enough for one day. took cup of green tea(barrys) and 2 camomile up to 4 (dinner time). its one of those flask cups you buy in pennys for €1.50 or so i use for herbal. thanks for helpful tip much appreciated.:)

ch750536 wrote: »
    can't figure this one out, can someone enlighten me or am i thick

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭coldcake

I loved drinking regular Irish tea but now I almost never drink it anymore.

I now drink a cinnamon tea in the morning, brown rice green tea around midday and camomile tea at night and sometimes Barry’s Ginger and Lemon tea.

I love the brown rice green tea as it smells a little like sugar puffs. I also like a jasmine green tea now and then; however I feel like it leaves my tongue dry!

I did hear someone on the radio recently say that the longer you brew tea the less caffeine would be bio available to be absorbed by the body, which seems counterintuitive and I can’t seem to find anything backing this up online. However, I do leave my teabags in the cup for the whole cup and I never get a buzz like I do if I have a coffee!

coldcake wrote: »
    I loved drinking regular Irish tea but now I almost never drink it anymore.

I now drink a cinnamon tea in the morning, brown rice green tea around midday and camomile tea at night and sometimes Barry’s Ginger and Lemon tea.
    I did hear someone on the radio recently say that the longer you brew tea the less caffeine would be bio available to be absorbed by the body, which seems counterintuitive and I can’t seem to find anything backing this up online. However, I do leave my teabags in the cup for the whole cup and I never get a buzz like I do if I have a coffee!

my parents used leave tea brew (or draw as its referred to around here) for ages, the inside of pot was almost coated to eight inch after a while,but father got perforated ulcer in stomach when in his 70s and doctor told us very strong tea may have been partial culprit and cigarettes ,so that started my avoiding strong tea, when driving i would leave tea bag in cup if i had no spoon but hated it but needed it to combat fatigue bought on by eating bread, thought giving up eating bread was solution to that till weight started falling off at rate of 3 lbs week and stomach started cramping but that's another issue, its also why id never suggest giving up any particular food to anyone , i think anyone going on diet should consult food nutritionist when on diet and especially if a diet you follow suddenly stops working, and certainly not adjusting or tweaking diet. its not diet that may be wrong it may be something simple is needed like **** massage as in fluid retention to get bodies disposal system working again.
    i also find if i suddenly go herbal completely my tongue starts to go red hot and prone to ulcerate almost to bleeding point. must experiment with more brands as suggested

• Advertisement
Advertisement