Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy Lefthanders Day!

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Calibos wrote: »
    As I alluded to earlier with the chimp example, all lefties I've ever seen write seem to hold the pen in a closed fist.

I don't :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

bluewolf wrote: »
    I don't :confused:

Me neither!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I do!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I'm a leftie, but I'd compensate pretty well with my right. Scissor, can openers and trying to write on anything laminated are a bitch though.

krudler wrote: »
    I'm a leftie, but I'd compensate pretty well with my right. Scissor, can openers and trying to write on anything laminated are a bitch though.
    Ever since they closed the Leftorium, every can I open becomes a death trap. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Billy86 wrote: »
    Ever since they closed the Loftorium, every can I open becomes a death trap. :(

Loftorium , where tall people go.

Fixed. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Shenshen wrote: »
    Btw, are any of you lefties able to read mirrored letters/writing?

I always put it down to me being lefthanded, I've had a very hard time in primary school memorising which way around the letters are supposed to point, and that you should write from left to right rather than the other way around.

I've always been able to read writing going right to left, upside down or simply mirrored almost as easily as correct writing.
    Which occasionally confuses the hell out of me when there's "No Entry" written on the street... takes me a second to process which side that's refering to.

My dominant hand is my left hand, but I write with my right. I've no idea why, I don't remember being forced to do it that way. I can do perfect mirror writing with my left hand for some reason.

Edit: According to the poll I am 54 percent left handed-left but mixed handed.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I don't understand the potato peeler or can opener ones. How is using a potato peeler different with the left or right hand? And what kind of can openers are you using? I'm fairly useless with my left hand but opening cans is child's play with either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

79% I use scissors with my right cos it's impossible with my left. Seriously smuggy and poor handwriting. Turning the page 90' to write- brother used to give out to me for that! Can't peel potatoes can't do much stuff like that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I don't understand the potato peeler or can opener ones. How is using a potato peeler different with the left or right hand? And what kind of can openers are you using? I'm fairly useless with my left hand but opening cans is child's play with either.

The one that goes down the side of the can in juts into the top with a winged turner.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Depends on the potato peeler. The ones with the blade in one direction are obviously geared towards right handed people. The stainless steel type you find in most kitchens I've been in can be used with both hands, however I've found that the 'left' side of the blade is usually polished dull by everyone using it right handed, if that makes sense.

Lefse-Potato-Peeler.jpg

The cheap tin openers have the spindle handle to the right hand side of the blade, for right handed people to use.

081110174816.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭racersedge

Driving manual cars on the continent is a pain in the arse.
    Trying to drive on the wrong side of the road and change gear with my near useless right hand has nearly killed me a few times.

That aside, tis great to be different to all those righty wierdos.

Can relate to that. Just returned from a holiday where I did a little bit of driving for the first time. Have to say it felt like the oddest experience to be reaching down with my right hand to do the gear shifts. Just felt... 'odd', from holding the shifter in the hand to moving it. Did take some getting used to and more than once, instinct just kicked in and went down with my left hand to grab it to find nothing but a door!

No issues with potato peelers here, but with can openers they just open slightly... different. For whatever reason, about 1mm of the side of the can comes off as well as the top, slightly unevenly, and it leaves the rides of the empty can sharp as f**k!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Billy86 wrote: »
    Ever since they closed the Leftorium, every can I open becomes a death trap. :(

Left handed brother here too.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

efb wrote: »
    The one that goes down the side of the can in juts into the top with a winged turner.

Ah, of course. I was just picturing the top-dial ones or automatic ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Never struggled with a tin opener, easy enough to adapt. Bigger scissors and ink all over the small finger on the left hand after passing it over whatever I have just written are moere annoying.

In cafes an attentive waiter will usually give you a cup with the handle pointing out to the right hand side so the right handed customer has the most convenient way to start sipping their coffee. I always have to turn the cup around and switch the teaspoon over to the other side! Small gripe.

Beyond the physical leftys can sometimes be quick to diagnose and understand complex problems but are chronically lacking in the concentration or discipline to apply them. I think i fall into those categories.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Table settings are a pain full stop. I use cutlery the wrong way around, need to swap cups and side-plates and usually wind up nicking my neighbour's ones as I can never remember which are mine when the table is laid "the proper way".

I also tried to learn the violin a few years ago. I couldn't find a teacher to teach me backwards so had to bow with my right and do the fingering with my left. It never got to feeling right. I'm utterly convinced I'd be a virtuoso by now if I could only have played left-handed. As it was, I had to give up for both mine and my poor next-door-neighbours' sanity :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭curiosity

Writing; awful. The way people would comment on it when they saw me writing, grrrrr. I'd use pencils as often as possible these days. I live in fear of having to write on a whiteboard!
    Mice; can use either hand. I stick to the right in work, saves having people asking me if my mouse is wonky!
    Can-openers; haven't used one in ages.
    Scissors; grand, though I'm sure I wouldn't be up to being a hairdresser.

Being left-handed must have been tough for kids long ago. Teachers making them use the right hand etc (might have done me a bit of good tho). I used to hate having older people comment on my leftiness when I was a kid.

Do other lefties use the fork with their right hand, knife with the left?

I always get a lil thrill from seeing a left-handed woman. If only I could meet a nice one, and make a few lovely lefty babies....:o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

curiosity wrote: »
    Do other lefties use the fork with their right hand, knife with the left?

No ...

I do a lot of things with right hand though I've no problem using the mouse that way

• Advertisement
Advertisement