Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy Lefthanders Day!

Options
  • 13-08-2014 9:46am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭

As I'm sure you all know, thoday (13th of August) is international Lefthanders Day.
    A chance for all us lefthanded people to celebrate our lefty culture, play instruments with our left hands and dace on our left feet.

Should you be unsure if you're left or right handed, you can take a test here

So, all you lefties out there, how do you manage in this right-handers' world? What obstacles do you face, and how do you overcome them?

Are you lefthanded? 125 votes

Lefthanded
    0% 0 votes
    Righthanded
    66% 83 votes
    Ambidextrous
    33% 42 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I keep quiet and mingle within the crowd so they won't find and crucify me to their right-handed God.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

In honor off all lefties today I will Slap the ham today with my left one. Wish me luck guys !

• Registered Users Posts: 28,739 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Lefty here myself but don't really run into any issues that I can think of.

Can use a mouse in the normal way, scissors etc - suppose the only slight annoyance is how it's always assumed you're right-handed when it comes to handshakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Shenshen wrote: »

Should you be unsure if you're left or right handed

Is that even possible?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I'm a leftie. Yay!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Go lefties, let's unite in our hatred of can openers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Now that I'm out of education it's not really an issue anymore. Used to hate when someone would sit right besiðe me in lectures.

The only problems I face in the real world are stupid tin openers that won't work properly and even stupider scissors that are the wrong way round.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Lefty here myself but don't really run into any issues that I can think of.

Can use a mouse in the normal way, scissors etc - suppose the only slight annoyance is how it's always assumed you're right-handed when it comes to handshakes.

I used to have some issues with scissors, especially the heavy tailor scissors for cutting cloth. They would hurt my hand like the proverbial after a short while.

And I've recently discovered another thoughtless innovation - ergonomically shapped computer mice.
    Our company introduced them for all emplyees, and they're practically impossible to operate for a lefty. I've asked for a different one but don't know if I'll be lucky. Thinking of buying one myself at this point.

Is that even possible?

Dunno, let's wait and see if someone like that will post ;)

Oh, and bread knives with the teeth only on one side. Always the wrong bloody side, I can't cut a slice of bread off a loaf with one of those for the life of me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I can't do scissors properly either
    thank god for nail clippers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭ruthloss

I'm always setting the table 'the wrong way 'round'.:o

I actually don't find that much stuff disruptive, I think I compensate pretty well with my right hand most of the time.

One thing that really really really annoys me is cameras though. Fecking button is on the right side so if I hold it with just my right hand, it shakes and ruins the picture :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

In honor off all lefties today I will Slap the ham today with my left one. Wish me luck guys !

I've had experience with this. Righty was out of action for a while so lefty was subbed in. Lefty doesn't have a f**kN notion what he's (can my left hand be female?) doing. You can easily lose the run of yourself, lose control and deliver yourself a vicious slap into the balls! Be warned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Years and years ago I used to fence (as in rapiers and sabres, not posts and barbed wire)......

......and I was pretty good at it - as in I won lots because I was a lefty!!

In 'combat' type sports being a lefty is a distinct advantage up to a certain level as most of the opposition are not used to fighting lefties - whereas most lefties are well used to fighting righties.

That advantage can only take you so far before an absence of talent kicks in!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Do a celebratory stranger fap?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Shenshen wrote: »
    Dunno, let's wait and see if someone like that will post ;)

Lets wait and see, but I have a sneaking suspicion that if you are the type of person who doesn't know if you are right or left handed, you probably do most of your writing with a crayon rather than a keyboard!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

I consider myself left-handed because I write with my left hand. I do a lot of other things with my right hand though, probably because I had to but now I'm so used to it, for example I can't use a left-handed scissors now, only a right-handed one. I do find can openers to be a pain in the arse and cutting bread is a bit of an ordeal as well. I often text with my right hand, though I can text with both and I actually prefer to use a mouse with my right-hand as well. I bowl with my right hand though and often do sports with my right hand and I was taught how to knit the right handed way. I think that lefties are much better at using their right hands than right handed people are at using their left hands. Anyone I know that is right handed pretty much can't do anything with their left hand, like it is a useless appendage!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I'm left handed but don't do any of the silly left handed things like using a mouse with my left hand or getting those special different coloured scissors

only downside is having ink all over your hand after you write. but if I ever wanted to write in arabic i'd be the one laughing at all the right handed infidels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I don't really notice. I write with my left hand. Everything else is done with my right hand.

My mum was telling me about a woman she knows getting all sorts of left handed stuff for their child starting school. Seems odd to me.

• Advertisement

My mum got me left handed scissors when I was in school, I couldn't use those safety kids ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

I'm left handed but don't do any of the silly left handed things like using a mouse with my left hand or getting those special different coloured scissors

only downside is having ink all over your hand after you write. but if I ever wanted to write in arabic i'd be the one laughing at all the right handed infidels

The smudging is a killer!

I don't really notice. I write with my left hand. Everything else is done with my right hand.

My mum was telling me about a woman she knows getting all sorts of left handed stuff for their child starting school. Seems odd to me.

My mom was always pretty freaked out about having a lefthanded child (the lefthandedness comes from my father's side of the family). She couldn't watch me use a sharp knife, she couldn't watch me hammer in a nail, or even break an egg. All looked wrong and needlessly dangerous to her.

When I started school, she insisted I use special lefthanded pens. They looked hideously old-fashioned, and I still ended up smearing most of the ink and having the side of my hand stained blue most of the time. Waste of money, these yokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Jawgap wrote: »

......and I was pretty good at it - as in I won lots because I was a lefty!!

In 'combat' type sports being a lefty is a distinct advantage up to a certain level as most of the opposition are not used to fighting lefties - whereas most lefties are well used to fighting righties.

That advantage can only take you so far before an absence of talent kicks in!

there's nothing better than being a lefty who can switch to right when you want, f**ks peoples heads up

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Medusa22 wrote: »
    The smudging is a killer!

Then you got your hands on one of these badboys http://www.lefthandedworld.com/images/products/detail/2120001.jpg only to realise they make fcuk all difference and just make it more obvious that you need help in the smudging department.

in 6th class in primary school we were made use fountain pens. ****ing fountain pens! with my left hand! It left me coming out of school every day with black hands like I had been sneaking off being a mechanic instead of going to primary school

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭BQQ

You're all a bit sinister, if you ask me. :pac:

Sinister

adjective

threatening or portending evil, harm, or trouble; ominous:
    a sinister remark.
    bad, evil, base, or wicked; fell:
    his sinister purposes.
    unfortunate; disastrous; unfavorable:
    a sinister accident.
    of or on the left side; left.
    Heraldry. noting the side of an escutcheon or achievement of arms that is to the left of the bearer (opposed to dexter ).

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sinister?s=t

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭BUBBLES1978

smudging the page, trying to use a scissors, focking can openers are impossibe, and been called the devils child

writing when sitting beside a right hander (banging of elbows)

setting the table wrong, generally looking awkward as foc doing most menial tasks:D

love being a lefty!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Bambi wrote: »
    there's nothing better than being a lefty who can switch to right when you want, f**ks peoples heads up

I also used to play tennis a bit and rarely had to hit a backhand shot as I'd shift the racket to the other hand and just knock it back.....

.......during one game against a work colleague he yelled at me in frustration to stop shifting the racket and play a backhand shot.

Had the same advantage when I played squash.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I can only write with my left hand, but do everything else right-handed, even cutting with a knife/scissors, playing instruments, playing sport.

I feel like a fraud calling myself a leftie.

• Advertisement
  • Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Can write with both hands, much to the delight of kids when I was teaching overseas and writing on the whiteboards. Everything else I mosty do with both hands, though for some reason I favour one hand for certain tasks - other hand for other tasks (use a hammer left handsd, screwdriver right handed and so on, given the choice).
    LizT wrote: »
    One thing that really really really annoys me is cameras though. Fecking button is on the right side so if I hold it with just my right hand, it shakes and ruins the picture :(

Yeah, this can be a PITA, and what messes me up even more is being left sighted (you have a dominant eye too), and using the viewfinder with my left eye. Means that none of the controls are where my fingers want them to be :(

Makes archery and shooting interesting too - use right handed weapons for the most part, but aiming with my left eye....

Advertisement