Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unemployment Rate and Emigration/Jobbridge

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

There is broad agreement in Europe that Ireland played a strong hand of cards in relation to dealing with their financial crisis. While there were tough decisions to be made, the vast majority of Irish people dealt with financial rectitude in a stoic and pragmatic way. There is now strong growth across many sectors of the economy, while the Greeks are still up the proverbial creek without a paddle. Yet the usual naysayers were recommending idiotic actions like defaulting, revolting, burning senior bondholder and leaving the Euro.

What is needed now is further pragmatism. Keep spending in check and cut further cruft from public services. And ignore the beards in the Unions asking for considerable hikes in their members terms and conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭House of Blaze

Nemeses wrote: »
    Hmm,

I've seen a fair few Irish workers in Maccy D's

Question is, Would you work in a fast food restaurant?

The bastards rejected my application!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

There is broad agreement in Europe that Ireland played a strong hand of cards in relation to dealing with their financial crisis. While there were tough decisions to be made, the vast majority of Irish people dealt with financial rectitude in a stoic and pragmatic way. There is now strong growth across many sectors of the economy, while the Greeks are still up the proverbial creek without a paddle. Yet the usual naysayers were recommending idiotic actions like defaulting, revolting, burning senior bondholder and leaving the Euro.

What is needed now is further pragmatism. Keep spending in check and cut further cruft from public services. And ignore the beards in the Unions asking for considerable hikes in their members terms and conditions.

Think you mean Unsecured bond holders. There should not have been a blanket coverage of everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Tigger wrote: »
    define well paid

Earning more than you can spend..."can" being the important word..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Don't forget aboutthe TUS and the Gateway schemes. Two different schemes to fiddle with the unemployment figures. They'll have something to add to add to it next year.

Job bridge - slavery for businesses
    TUS - slavery for the voluntary and charity organisations
    Gateway - slavery for the council

Next year, it could be slavery for something else. What else could we slave over?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Even though this figure has consistently gone down over the past 2 years or so, folks continue to throw around the same two objections.

- It's due to emigration
    - It's due to Jobbridge

Tosspots, the lot of them.

As for emigration, this reason assumes that all those who left the country were unemployed. We know, anecdotally at least, that this is not the case.

It also conveniently looks over those who return to this country, which is a significant number. In other words, you can't rely on emigration figures to explain away the lowering unemployment rate.

As for Jobbridge, well the numbers are depressingly low and static that it could never possibly explain away the reduction in unemployment %. Yes, like emigration, it accounts for a certain quantity, but certainly not all of it.

The denial and ignorance of these people is astonishing and irritating. Why can't people just accept while the economy is certainly not in a fine shape, it's improving to a certain degree. It's when people refuse to admit to any improvement that leads to this stupid denial.

Rant over.

It is improving but many people are still suffering tremendously. I agree unemployment is being reduced and that is good but you can't blame people for being angry. Plus back to education plays a large part as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

steddyeddy wrote: »
    It is improving but many people are still suffering tremendously. I agree unemployment is being reduced and that is good but you can't blame people for being angry. Plus back to education plays a large part as well.

I don't blame people being angry, but they need to vent their anger with legitimate premises. Being angry doesn't add credence to sensationally inaccurate statements and, unfortunately, these comments have become all too familiar in the current Zeitgeist.

As another poster correctly stated, looking at the employment statistics, as opposed to the unemployment rate, clarifies the economic position more sharply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Irish guy sent me a text later saying job was too far away. He lives in Blanch, job is in Blackrock.

Jesus, what kind of job was it? what were the requirements
    and where do you advertise? I really need to start looking wherever that is

I have given up on recruitireland and other websites, Im nearer and have transport so I'd have gone to that interview regardless of what the job was,
    my problem is locating something to my specific training and experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I don't blame people being angry, but they need to vent their anger with legitimate premises. Being angry doesn't add credence to sensationally inaccurate statements and, unfortunately, these comments have become all too familiar in the current Zeitgeist.

As another poster correctly stated, looking at the employment statistics, as opposed to the unemployment rate, clarifies the economic position more sharply.

I agree with what you said. I don't agree with people saying nothing has improved. However I completely understand people not trusting the current government. Irish Water is another unfixable state body and cronyism is as strong as ever. They talk about austerity and the need to cut our cloth ect yet the setting up costs of Irish water are nearly double that of similar companies in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

diograis wrote: »
    I got rejected for a job in Macdonalds last month. I'm 19 and in college. A blow to the self esteem I can tell you.

Then you fall under the first bullet point I made.

Suck mans - Did you get feedback on it? Could have been down to experience or anything.

• Advertisement

The bastards rejected my application!

Clearly you can't cook so :P

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭House of Blaze

Nemeses wrote: »
    Clearly you can't cook so :P

Ha ha! Cook that s**t? I don't even eat that s**t! ;)

(obviously didn't tell them that though!)

Ha ha! Cook that s**t? I don't even eat that s**t! ;)

(obviously didn't tell them that though!)

There's ya problem captain!

Advertisement