Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unemployment Rate and Emigration/Jobbridge

Options
  • 12-08-2014 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭

Even though this figure has consistently gone down over the past 2 years or so, folks continue to throw around the same two objections.

- It's due to emigration
    - It's due to Jobbridge

Tosspots, the lot of them.

As for emigration, this reason assumes that all those who left the country were unemployed. We know, anecdotally at least, that this is not the case.

It also conveniently looks over those who return to this country, which is a significant number. In other words, you can't rely on emigration figures to explain away the lowering unemployment rate.

As for Jobbridge, well the numbers are depressingly low and static that it could never possibly explain away the reduction in unemployment %. Yes, like emigration, it accounts for a certain quantity, but certainly not all of it.

The denial and ignorance of these people is astonishing and irritating. Why can't people just accept while the economy is certainly not in a fine shape, it's improving to a certain degree. It's when people refuse to admit to any improvement that leads to this stupid denial.

Rant over.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

As far as I know the actual number of people in full-time employment (excluding Jobsbridge and other schemes) is rising consistently over the last year or so.

Whingers and outraged moaners don't want to hear that.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Jebus Diced

Gis a job, I can do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

Gis a job, I can do that.

I admire your can-do spirit.

It's probably against all regulations, but would you consider working in my new private hospital as head of neurosurgery?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Even though this figure has consistently gone down over the past 2 years or so, folks continue to throw around the same two objections.

- It's due to emigration
    - It's due to Jobbridge

As for emigration, this reason assumes that all those who left the country were unemployed. We know, anecdotally at least, that this is not the case.

It also conveniently looks over those who return to this country, which is a significant number. In other words, you can't rely on emigration figures to explain away the lowering unemployment rate.

As for Jobbridge, well the numbers are depressingly low and static that it could never possibly explain away the reduction in unemployment %. Yes, like emigration, it accounts for a certain quantity, but certainly not all of it.

The denial and ignorance of these people is astonishing and irritating. Why can't people just accept while the economy is certainly not in a fine shape, it's improving to a certain degree. It's when people refuse to admit to any improvement that leads to this stupid denial.

Rant over.

You a bit ott there its not worth ranting about, there is a certain mind-set in SOME section of Irish society and nothing will ever be good enough for them,( you get a lot of them on boards ) plus its good for some section of the unemployed in some ways its the same old story its grand for those with good degrees in sought after sections of the economy, IT, engineering and the construction sector is picking up, however for the low skilled and the weaker sections of society it is still hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Jebus Diced

I admire your can-do spirit.

It's probably against all regulations, but would you consider working in my new private hospital as head of neurosurgery?

Oh YEAH baby, gimme a shout wheneva

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,481 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

People Before Profit will be with you in a moment OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

mariaalice wrote: »
    You a bit ott there its not worth ranting about, there is a certain mind-set in SOME section of Irish society and nothing will ever be good enough for them,( you get a lot of them on boards ) plus its good for some section of the unemployed in some ways its the same old story its grand for those with good degrees in sought after sections of the economy, IT, engineering and the construction sector is picking up, however for the low skilled and the weaker sections of society it is still hard.
    What's the government supposed to do with those people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

People Before Profit will be with you in a moment OP.

Na... they're all in Centra toasting sandwiches for free.:rolleyes:

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    What's the government supposed to do with those people?

I was just thinking that myself I haven't a clue maybe someone else knows.

I know this has been done to death but, the McDonalds I was in was full of eastern Europeans except for one gormless young man on the tills even the manager was eastern European( all with perfect English and were not teenagers ) now this is a retail park and hard to get to with out a car so maybe that's a factor, and the pay means paying for children care is out so maybe that's a factor but how come with the unemployment we have there were no Irish except for one that I could see.

No answers with the tired old cliché that the Irish wont work in McDonalds that's rubbish nor the other cliché that the eastern Europeans work harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

No answers with the tired old cliché that the Irish wont work in McDonalds that's rubbish nor the other cliché that the eastern Europeans work harder.

Hmm,

I've seen a fair few Irish workers in Maccy D's

Question is, Would you work in a fast food restaurant?

• Advertisement

Nemeses wrote: »
    Hmm,

I've seen a fair few Irish workers in Maccy D's

Question is, Would you work in a fast food restaurant?

Yes of course I would why would I not if I needed a job. I have seen Irish people working in McDonalds of course I have but they tend to be young in general you do not see Irish of the same age as the eastern Europeans working in fast food restaurants in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭groucho marx

This makes me tremble with rage

Yes of course I would why would I not if I needed a job. I have seen Irish people working in McDonalds of course I have but they tend to be young in general you do not see Irish of the same age as the eastern Europeans working in fast food restaurants in Ireland.

I'm sure checking out 1 establishment does not apply to all.

Unless you've been to all 84 stores and worked out an average have you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭westcoast66

Well I just hired someone for a well paid job. I had 34 applicants. 3 of them were Irish.

I arranged 5 interviews (4 foreign and 1 Irish). The Irish guy didn't show up and I hired one of the polish guys.

I'm sure checking out 1 establishment does not apply to all.

Unless you've been to all 84 stores and worked out an average have you?

Of course I haven't and as I said there are Irish employed in McDonalds the one near work had middle-aged Irish woman working in it and they have been there a long time that is not my point my point is how come there are not MORE Irish there (and of the same age ) not that there NO Irish there.

Of course I haven't and as I said there are Irish employed in McDonalds the one near work had middle-aged Irish woman working in it and they have been there a long time that is not my point my point is how come there are not MORE Irish there (and of the same age ) not that there NO Irish there.

What's the difference if there is more Irish or less Irish people working in McDonalds?

At the end of the day, Ireland is part of the EU, The EU allow cross border working employment etc etc.

Point is, They are paying taxes, They aren't on the dole system. They somewhat help the Country even though they are being screwed by the country for taxes, USC etc etc

Whats your issue again?

What's the difference if there is more Irish or less Irish people working in McDonalds?

At the end of the day, Ireland is part of the EU, The EU allow cross border working employment etc etc.

Point is, They are paying taxes, They aren't on the dole system. They somewhat help the Country even though they are being screwed by the country for taxes, USC etc etc

Whats your issue again?

I don't have any issue I think they should be here if they want to every one is free to travel and live where they want in the EC( mostly ), however it is an interesting point.

I don't have any issue I think they should be here if they want to every one is free to travel and live where they want in the EC( mostly ), however it is an interesting point.

That is the way it is. Nothing interesting there.

Defined in 3 categories:
    • Either people want the job / want to work and are struggling to find any type of work.
    • They think flippin' burgers is beneath themselves (as taken from your example)
    • Dole pays better than going out to work

That's the attitude of the majority of the people in this country.

Defined in 3 categories:
    • Either people want the job / want to work and are struggling to find any type of work.
    • They think flippin' burgers is beneath themselves (as taken from your example)

So issues such as cost of children care don't come to it? or how about this I was in hospital for a week in a private hospital which had out sourced its cleaning and catering and all the cleaners except for one Irish man in his twenties were eastern European woman or Philippine men some of whom were middle aged the supervisor was Irish, there were no middle aged Irish men doing the clearing...so maybe cultural factors play a part?

Defined in 3 categories:

I never said Irish people though flipping burgess was beneath them that a tired cliché.

• Advertisement

So issues such as cost of children care don't come to it? or how about this I was in hospital for a week in a private hospital which had out sourced its cleaning and catering and all the cleaners except for one Irish man in his twenties were eastern European woman or Philippine men some of whom were middle aged the supervisor was Irish, there were no middle aged Irish men doing the clearing...so maybe cultural factors play a part?

You've a different agenda from what you're letting on.

I've said my point of view and you seem fixated on non Irish workers here.

Not much more to discuss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

- It's due to emigration
    - It's due to Jobbridge

Rant over.

Which is why everyone should look at employment figures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

This makes me tremble with rage

That a reference to the other rant?

:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

How do people compete with race to the bottom wages ? A man with a family cant compete with single guys sharing a house and just working and sleeping. It’s not about flipping burgers it’s about being able to survive on a wage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Well I just hired someone for a well paid job. I had 34 applicants. 3 of them were Irish.

I arranged 5 interviews (4 foreign and 1 Irish). The Irish guy didn't show up and I hired one of the polish guys.

define well paid

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭diograis

Defined in 3 categories:

I got rejected for a job in Macdonalds last month. I'm 19 and in college. A blow to the self esteem I can tell you.

diograis wrote: »
    I got rejected for a job in Macdonalds last month. I'm 19 and in college. A blow to the self esteem I can tell you.

i was rejected from a rentokill job planting poison and collecting dead rodents when i was in college.
    i own my own home, i run my own business and i'm quite happy i never collected dead rodents

do you really want to work in McDonalds? if you want as job pop into the owner run small businesses in smart casual clothes and chat to the owners. you'd learn much more working there than for a giant corporate franchise

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Valetta wrote: »
    As far as I know the actual number of people in full-time employment (excluding Jobsbridge and other schemes) is rising consistently over the last year or so.

It's all the people flying in from abroad every week to work three or four jobs so that they can afford the bare necessities of life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭westcoast66

Tigger wrote: »
    define well paid

Irish guy sent me a text later saying job was too far away. He lives in Blanch, job is in Blackrock.

• Advertisement

Irish guy sent me a text later saying job was too far away. He lives in Blanch, job is in Blackrock.

was it well advertised cos something like 28,000 people applied for the clerical positions and that pays about 22k

Advertisement