Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish journalists you like

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Irish journalist = oxymoron?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Surprised Matt Cooper hasn’t been mentioned. Can often be a bit populist and panders to the Liberals and all their causes, but 9/10 his finger is right on the pulse. Not afraid to go for the jugular when a Politian is swerving a Yes/No or spewing BS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

Robbo wrote: »
    Ian O'Doherty and his outrageous, politically incorrect opinions he has every week. To a deadline. For money.
    If there's one thing worse than Jeremy Clarkson, it's somebody who models himself on Jeremy Clarkson.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭chinwag

Michael Clifford

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Robbo wrote: »
    Ian O'Doherty and his outrageous, politically incorrect opinions he has every week. To a deadline. For money.

Its all been done before its weary.. look at me Im an ordinary bloke type of stuff, P.J. O'Rourke did it much better over 30 years ago.

• Advertisement

snubbleste wrote: »
    Irish journalist = oxymoron?

What a silly reply there are lots of good Irish journalists.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

chinwag wrote: »
    Michael Clifford

Too early to decide for me.
    Strikes me as a bit of hopper on the bandwagon in the Justice issue but will reserve judgement for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Declan Lynch
    Eilis OHanlon
    John Walters.
    Pat Fitzpstrick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭Minjor

Paul Kimmage. Can't even remember reading many of his articles but he really fights the doping in cycling tooth and nail and doesn't give up. Has lost good friends cos of his opinions. I'm basing this off the rough rider documentary on RTE recently. I have the utmost of respect for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Kevin Myers and recently Ian o doherty, he says a lot of things I agree with. In fact I wonder does he get most of material from here!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Con Houlihan was the best sports writer of his time.
    Would have loved to have had a few pints and a discussion with him.

He frequented one of the pubs I worked in as a student (and immediately post-uni) - a thorough 'gentle'-man. Would always chat with you and was completely understated in a way some of the current crop of celebrity, Hunter S Thompson wannabe, journos will never understand.
    ShagNastii wrote: »
    Surprised Matt Cooper hasn’t been mentioned. Can often be a bit populist and panders to the Liberals and all their causes, but 9/10 his finger is right on the pulse. Not afraid to go for the jugular when a Politian is swerving a Yes/No or spewing BS.

I think the 'worst' thing about Cooper is the amount of times he brilliantly sets up politicians and then lets them off the hook - a lot of his interviews strike me as being about 2 questions away from being definingly memorable.

I sometimes wonder if he's reluctant to press home certain issues for fear it will affect his ability to get politicians on the show, who might instead opt to go on the more deferential RTE programmes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Mick Clifford
    Gemma O'Doherty
    Paul Kimmage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

Fintan otoole
    Miriam lord
    Vincent Browne
    Kieran Cunningham

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

Matt Cooper.
    Gene Kerrigan (bit samey of late but tells it largely as it is).
    Fintan O' Toole (decent, honest intelligent).
    Pat Kenny (presenter I suppose) (hugely knowledgeable and really gets to know his brief).
    Eilis O' Hanlon (can be off the mark at times though).
    I like Susan Mitchell's health pieces(for the SBP).
    Niall Stanage and Shona Murray.
    Vincent Browne and Miriam Lord.

Worst:
    Eoghan Harris
    Ruth Dudley Edwards (bleugh)
    John Waters
    I also see the bould Jim Power is back writing for the SBP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭DainBramage

everyone at the Blanchardstown Gazette

• Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I echo the poster who mentioned Con Houlihan. THe nearest thing to a poet that Irish journalism ever produced.

A modern day Houlihan was Tom Humphries. Never wrote a bad piece. Witty and intelligent. Tragic how his personal troubles effectively ended his career.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I don't think I like any columnists and to be honest I find the media in this country incredibly rude and full of themselves. David Cochrane and some of the journal.ie copy and pasters are amongst some of the most jumped up, ill mannered people, I ever had to deal with.

Oh I likd Gillian Nelis in the SBP, she's a great writer and has a great eye for a story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

Tragic how his personal troubles effectively ended his career.

A lot more tragic for the kid he allegedly abused.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

When it comes to matters of foreign policy and world news I never read anything that cannot be found within the pages of the Skibbereen Eagle. Some fine journalists working in the paper keeping an eye of the expansionist policies of the Ruskies.

When it comes to matters of foreign policy and world news I never read anything that cannot be found within the pages of the Skibbereen Eagle. Some fine journalists working in the paper keeping an eye of the expansionist policies of the Ruskies.

They've been noticeably quiet on the latest events though

Could Okhrana have infiltrated?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

A modern day Houlihan was Tom Humphries. Never wrote a bad piece. Witty and intelligent. Tragic how his personal troubles effectively ended his career.

He has talent but he was becoming insufferably self-absorbed later in his career and it affected his writing.

Some of his later columns were on par with that cringe editorial they used to have in Hot Press for sheer pomposity and self regard

A lot more tragic for the kid he allegedly abused.

Indeed. Tragedy implies some sort of misfortune. He was a child molester.

anncoates wrote: »
    He has talent but he was becoming insufferably self-absorbed later in his career and it affected his writing.

Some of his later columns were on par with that cringe editorial they used to have in Hot Press for sheer pomposity and self regard

Is Niall Stokes still the editor? The man was in danger of disappearing completely up his own hole during much of the mid-90's, and I haven't heard much of him recently, so I'm wondering if it finally happened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Is Niall Stokes still the editor? The man was in danger of disappearing completely up his own hole during much of the mid-90's, and I haven't heard much of him recently, so I'm wondering if it finally happened?

It was him that wrote it alright. I think it was called The Word or The Message or something.

Mortification on the scale of your Da making matey wisecracks about marijuana in front of your mates.

anncoates wrote: »
    It was him that wrote it alright. I think it was called The Word or The Message or something.

Mortification on the scale of your Da making matey wisecracks about marijuana in front of your mates.

Utterly insufferable. I always imagined him firing out the worst sort of jaded self-proclaiming liberal nonsense for the sake of it, before meeting Dave Fanning and Gavin Friday to talk about seeing U2 in the Dandelion Markets back in 76. While drinking Erdinger from those silly glasses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

A lot of good reads mentioned above. I'm also a fan of Keith Duggan on sport. Excellent writer.
    Indeed. Tragedy implies some sort of misfortune
    No it doesn't. Indeed, in its purest (ie Greek) form, tragedy requires that the protagonist's fall from grace be a product of his own character flaw or mistake of his own making.

Reekwind wrote: »
    A lot of good reads mentioned above. I'm also a fan of Keith Duggan on sport. Excellent writer.

No it doesn't. Indeed, in its purest (ie Greek) form, tragedy requires that the protagonist's fall from grace be a product of his own character flaw or mistake of his own making.

I concede the point.

I use to read Hotpress a lot when I was younger as well, I like the internet but it makes it harder to find good journalism in all the noise. I really miss siting down with a coffee and getting absorbed in a good newspaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Personal troubles? Really?
    mrsbyrne wrote: »
    Declan Lynch
    Eilis OHanlon
    John Walters.

A hat-trick of the most self-absorbed right-wing loopers ever put to one post.
    I detest the posturing and pontificating Fintan O'Toole

Poor Fintan, he's never had a thought pass through his head that he didn't see fit to foist upon the public, iirregardless of whether there was any rhyme or reason to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

I thought Stuart 'I once met Amy Winehouse' Clark was editor now, but Wiki says Stokes is still in charge.

Advertisement