Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish journalists you like

Options
  • 12-08-2014 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭

I have give up reading most newspapers except for the Saturdays Irish times, I use to be a big newspaper reader got the Irish times every day and the Sunday newspapers now I don't do that anymore. I just drifted out of buying the daily paper, but I made a conscious decision not to buy the Indo a long time ago.

So an Irish journalists I liked was Gene Kerrigan I did not always agree with him but liked reading his stuff.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Donald Clarke, a friend of mine got him to autograph his scathing review of Sex and the City 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

Daniel McDonnell in the Indo.

Extremely knowledgeable about football and an excellent writer as well. Always makes for a good read, although I'm speaking through the eyes of a sports nut.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,757 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Niamh Horan in the Sindo.

She is such a knowledgable & insightful writer. Her latest bit on Irish women's rugby was a masterpiece. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Gene Kerrigan

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Acedia.

Agree with Donald Clarke, also Fintan O'Toole.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Una Mullally standing up for fans of Swedish House Mafia will always be remembered as the greatest journalism in the history of this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,437 ✭✭✭tritium

Una Mullally standing up for fans of Swedish House Mafia will always be remembered as the greatest journalism in the history of this country.

I can't believe I just saw the words Una Mulally and Greatest journalism in the one sentence without the word not between them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Michael Foley, but only because he was hilarious as a lecturer after he stopped writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

There used to be a slot in the Irish Times called Weather Eye - the meteorologist would write a little bit about the weather, and then go on to include some really interesting scientific snippet or anecdote that was some way related to the weather or the day that was in it.

Sadly he passed away. I used to really enjoy reading those.

Edit
    Wow it was 2007 when he died - doesn't seem like that long ago at all. Here's the link to his wiki page if anyone is interested http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brendan_McWilliams

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

I will always have time for Liam Fay after he brutally destroyed Ryan Tubridy's sycophantic book about the Oirish in the UK (cant remember the name). Think i winced about 50 times whilst reading it. Put Tubridy's sickening pseudo-intellectualism in its rightful place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Gene Kerrigan
    Kevin Myers
    Fintan O'toole

If these three lads ran the country we would be doing ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Vincent Browne

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Ian O'Doherty and his outrageous, politically incorrect opinions he has every week. To a deadline. For money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I have to admit to a secret fondness for Kevin Myers even if I don't agree with a lot of what he spouts these days. His book about his time as a journalist in Belfast is enjoyable and quite surprising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

Kevin Myers and Frank McNally are always interesting to read.

I detest the posturing and pontificating Fintan O'Toole

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Peist2007 wrote: »
    I will always have time for Liam Fay after he brutally destroyed Ryan Tubridy's sycophantic book about the Oirish in the UK (cant remember the name). Think i winced about 50 times whilst reading it. Put Tubridy's sickening pseudo-intellectualism in its rightful place.

Do not like Liam fay too much of the weary cynicism and a slight nasty undertone to a lot of what he does. If you are a good at what you do as a writhe you don't need nastiness or cynicism.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 656 ✭✭✭NipNip

Miriam Lord

Kevin Myers and Frank McNally are always interesting to read.

I detest the posturing and pontificating Fintan O'Toole

I like Frank McNally he is honest and come across as straight forward.

NipNip wrote: »
    Miriam Lord

Again I don't like her for her undertone of nastiness and cynicism, but she is a good writher and nearly carries it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Philo Beddoe

Fintan O'Toole.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭andyman

Niall O'Connor from the Indo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

John Waters.....

....his eulogising of Katie French was the high point of Irish journalism - unlikely ever to be repeated........

.....just the thought of that article has me welling up...

On a more serious note....

Donald Clark
    Conor Pope
    Simon Carswell
    Miriam Lord

I like Shane Hegarty as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭jprboy

Miriam Lord
    Frank McNally
    Declan Lynch
    Dion Fanning
    Vincent Hogan
    Emmanuel Kehoe
    Gene Kerrigan
    David McWilliams

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

mariaalice wrote: »
    Do not like Liam fay too much of the weary cynicism and a slight nasty undertone to a lot of what he does. If you are a good at what you do as a writhe you don't need nastiness or cynicism.

100% agree and sometimes i find him a little too caustic. However, Tubs needed to be crucified for the content of that book, and Fay obliged beautifully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭LiveIsLife

Kevin Myers, don't always agree with what he says but he's usually interesting.

Have a respect for Vincent Browne as well, he actually questions his guests and doesn't let them away with spoofing and waffling. If they don't answer the question he'll ask it again unlike any of the RTE crowd who'll just accept whatever answer is given to them and leave it at that, even if its gone off on a total tangent and doesn't answer the initial question at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Orla Guerin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Michael O'Regan

seems to usually tell it how it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Kerrigan is the only one that jumps immediately to mind. He was the sole voice of reason and sense at the Independent camp when the rest of them were fawning over the rich, writing outlandish nonsense about the Provisionals or engaging in pseudo-sociological "analysis" of Irish society i.e. a load of tit shots of "The Irish Model" brigade. Does anyone remember "The 03 team"? Suffering Jesus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Con Houlihan was the best sports writer of his time.
    Would have loved to have had a few pints and a discussion with him.

Advertisement