Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dead Island 2

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,484 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Man, if we could just get one game with the parkour of dying light and the combat of dead island...

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭mrmanor

Cannot wait!! Absolutely loved the first one and playing it again now on the PS5

• Registered Users Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Will definitely be getting this, really enjoyed the first one and Riptide.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Currently 74 on OpenCritic

IGN 7/10

Dead Island 2 is a hilarious gore-fest and a competent zombie-slaying adventure, but lacks creativity outside of its great sense of humor.

Eurogamer

A straightforwardly accomplished zombie action-RPG that doesn't quite make the most of its Californian setting.

PC Gamer 55/100

Dead Island 2 is hampered by dull design choices, repetitive combat, and a painfully weak story, with its only saving grace being its great performance on PC.

Game Informer 7.8/10

With Dead Island 2, Dambuster Studios asks little of the player – only that you enjoy a good excuse to kill zombies in increasingly gory ways for a weekend or two – and in doing so, it delivers on the promise of what this series is all about.

Gamespot 7/10

Dambuster Studios raises the dead in a vicious sequel long thought doomed.

Polygon

There’s an overwhelming fakeness and irony to Dead Island 2 that, without any oppositional hope or sincerity, can eventually make the experience of playing it feel like kind of a downer, similar to the feeling you get after eating a load of junk food. My partner turned to me during one of my sessions late into the game and said it looked like I was on autopilot. Instead of meaningfully engaging with its systems, I was mindlessly pushing through the hordes in search of more complexity, or a satisfying narrative crescendo that never came. Dead Island 2’s nostalgic charms can transport you back to a simpler time, but there’s often a reason why you don’t see old friends anymore.

Rock Paper Shotgun

Dead Island 2 doesn't pretend to be anything other than a daft, messy romp through undead LA, and this carefree, capricious attitude is precisely what makes it fun.

Wccftech 7.5/10

For being a game that has been in development hell for over ten years, Dead Island 2 turned out alright, thanks to the wacky atmosphere and characters, fun combat, and acceptable quest quality. All of these features, however, become progressively worse as the campaign proceeds, making the game nothing more than an acceptable experience that may not be worthy of its full price tag for those looking for something a bit more involving.

Push Square 7/10

In the end, though, Dead Island 2 is a refreshing surprise amid the 2023 release roster. It's a fun and simple zombie-slasher experience that may be let down by its uninspiring RPG elements and boring loot-cycle, but more than makes up for it with its killer setting, brutal melee combat, and stunning graphics. While we suspect some will be disappointed by the game's size after all these years, we found it utterly revitalising to find a AAA experience that respects your time, and more importantly doesn't overstay its welcome. In the day and age of 300-hour RPGs, it's nice to know that some games are here for a fun time, not a long time.

True Achievements 8/10

Was Dead Island 2 worth the wait? Hell yes! The sheer carnage you can cause on the streets of LA is marvellous to witness, and with Dambuster's attention to detail, uncovering hidden caches of weapons, meeting the colourful variety of survivors around the city, and hanging with friends is a ton of fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,484 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Sounds like one of the most 7 out of 10 games ever. I'd like to play it but it's low on my priority list.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,815 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Sounds like those who enjoyed it saw it for what it was, a simple straight forward zombie murder game. Like the first one (two). Now that trading is basically gone, this won't be a day 1 and I'll wait for a price drop. If GS were still taking trades, it'd be day 1.

Right, this is fun! From the get go, it's obvious they want you to enjoy the game and not get bogged down with a semi-serious tone or story. The characters, so far, are all likable in their own way. I'm playing as Jacob, and aside from the perk differences, they all have their own lines, but NPC lines are all the same I'd imagine. Jacob is grand, silly confidence type UK laaad. The quips are acceptable to very good. It does suffer from Bethesda stony face interactions, which you can't skip/move during. But they're usually brief.

Gameplay is solid fun. The gore system is impressive, just not as impressive as I thought it would be. It's not perfect, but it's better that most others of a similar vein. Single combat is grand, but when they start hoard-ing, which they do with the screamy ones, it can get out of hand very quick. Characters selection plays a big part here so I went with the all rounder to begin with. Not sure if I would give it a second play through, but seeing as trading is all but gone now I might.

Story is there. You need to find a way out, same as the first 2. The setting is nice, having the little hubs is a bit jarring having come from massive open worlds of the previous games/Horizon, but it's nice. Hoping the fast travel system is good, because it looks like a pain to backtrack to some areas at present. But sprinting away works too. It's a fun game, and it knows that. It's not trying to be serious. A GoT reference, particularly in reference to "normal named" parents giving their children fantasy names from these shows. And the first mission set up/ending, one has to imagine it's 100% deliberate, but so excellently done and had me beaming! The little notes add to what you're coming across.

Not sure if it will having staying power, and I'm not a massive fan of the cards system they have, would have preferred the older system they had. But I'll stick with it for another while at least. But so far, straight forward zombie slaying fun. But with lots of picking up too. Needs auto-loot.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

How are you finding the game difficultly wise ? I seen people complain about that .

Mostly grand but I'm picking where I'm going. There areas that you just shouldn't go near yet, the game tells you that. And aside from a few fights which got a bit out of hand, it's down to not using your player skills properly. One of the characters dies easily, so that's a consideration too. I'm still only about 10 hours or so in so maybe the worst is to come, but I have guns now. And there's no massive worry about attracting zombies like the first ones. There appears to be a limit before the game reloads more.

I'm trying to get used to using the strongest weapon I have, because I've a habit from older games to use the weaker to stronger ones as they break, but this gives you better weapons the whole time! So far I'm blaming me for most my deaths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

Picked the female character, Dani yesterday when starting this and was surprised to hear she has a Cork accent and calls people "f€ckin gowls" 😂😂

I did not know that. I'm getting tired of it, so not sure if I'll even finish it. No idea where I am story wise, but feels like I'm getting near the end, but still a lot of questions about what's happening. Must look up some Dani gameplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Picked this up before Christmas and have sunk 40 odd hours into it so far, still 2 or 3 of the main story quests to get through along with a number of side quests.

Had played and loved DI1 and Riptide and thankfully this is more of the same. The story is veering into Resident Evil territory but in terms of gameplay, its pure zombie maiming joyfulness. The mixture of zombies is very good, the graphics and performance are top notch and it's just alot of fun.

Have probably died at least 25 times but that's usually from getting swarmed or inadvertently getting a status effect and not realising in time. There is an element of tactics required and some of the side quest requirements are particularly tricky but not enough to make me rage quit.

No real boss fights to speak of, more apex versions of zombies, some of which are pretty tough to start with.

The weapon variance is immense and the upgrading is simple to pick up, having a blend of weapons that impose different statuses is the key to success.

Gonna keep plugging away at the side quests as I just unlocked my first legendary weapon and am hungry for more.

Overall the €35 I paid for it was money well spent and for fans of the first I couldn't recommend it more.

Advertisement