Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dead Island 2

Options
  • 11-08-2014 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭

Gameplay trailer

and the release trailer from E3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I rather enjoyed the first game, this one looks fun too :D

Seeing the announcement trailer, where you fella takes the shoes... I'm imagining there's going to be more itemisation in the game, i.e. - Shoes ? Expanding the RPG element.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Ill say one thing, they make better trailer's than they do games

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭DaveDaRave

I think the first one has the potential to be a great game, its an ok game. I wonder how theyll improve on the last.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

The first one was good fun but it was too long, some of the areas dragged on (the sewers is one that springs to mind). The RPG elements became redundant after a while too. Tighten these things up and I'll definitely buy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Ill say one thing, they make better trailer's than they do games

This isn't the same company. These guys are the same guys that made Spec Ops: The Line.

Really liked Dead Island - not so much Riptide - but I have huge hopes for Dead Island 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,815 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'll be buying it regardless of what others say, as most people seemed to have an issue with DR1 and Riptide, whereas i loved both. This one looks like a lot more fun.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

penev10 wrote: »
    The first one was good fun but it was too long, some of the areas dragged on (the sewers is one that springs to mind). The RPG elements became redundant after a while too. Tighten these things up and I'll definitely buy it.

The sewers just freaked me out tbh. Enclosed spaces, darkness. Great atmosphere.

Playing through 1 recently, it shouldn't be an RPG really. I kinda found that part unnecessary. Also it's really repetitive fighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,484 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Interview with the devs with some interesting info.

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2014-08/18/dead-island-2-developers-interview

Seems to be focusing on online 8 player co-op. You always get put into a server at the start, you can play offline but the game is meant for online co-op. It started life as a grim single player experience but making moral decisions like killing a little infected girl or not didn't fit into online gaming so they dropped it and went the 'light hearted' route. I would have preferred the single player story-heavy way more but will still keep an eye on some gameplay vids.

EDIT: Actually this looks shyte.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 markhogan

Looks great cant wait to play

sheehy83 wrote: »
    I would have preferred the single player story-heavy way more but will still keep an eye on some gameplay vids.

Wait, so, they made the game for co-op?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

more looking forward to dying light :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Playing through Riptide now.

Goddamn but it's just so repetitive. And then when there's people to shoot it's just so slow and lazy and repetitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,305 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

there's no end to the game!?!

Dying Light looks far better and the co-op looks to be far more fun, especially when you can have someone controlling a boss zombie. Dead Island 2 was shaping up well but the whole "there's no end to the game" is really off putting, I like to play a game on my own and experience the story, not just play the same kind of missions over and over again.

Agreed dying light looking much better, that Hunter zombie looks like something out of infamous though. The Hunter from left 4 dead would have been much better especially as dying light copied is name and jump attack :)

Ugh, there better be some kind of story in it that i can "finish". I don't mind if the story is over and there's loads of stuff left to do, but i need a story.

It also annoys me that dev's these days are going more towards MP games! But that's a different thread.

Boom! delayed til 2016
    We have always set ourselves a big goal for Dead Island 2: to create the sequel that takes Dead Island to the next level. A game that takes what our fans tell us they love about Dead Island – multiple different characters to play with, co-op, and turning a paradise setting into a zombie slaughter melee – and a game that adds a ton more content and combat options on top of that.
    And we wanted to have all of that that done for release in Spring 2015.
    We have been looking at the game long and hard, and we have decided we didn’t reach that goal we set out to achieve quite yet. This is why we have decided to delay Dead Island 2 to 2016.
    Right now we are focusing purely on development, and we will have more info to share at a later stage.
    We know that our fans will be disappointed by this news, but by giving Dead Island 2 more time we are confident that everyone will get a better game to play as a result.
    -Team Dead Island 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Geez. A full year extra.. That sucks :(

I still think what Techland did with Dying Light was super cheeky on the new Dead Island devs. They basically took what they used in DI made some improvements and didn't have to worry about canon etc as it's a new name new ip etc and released it, and what we got was basically a do over ... Dead Island as it should have been????

Don't get me wrong here I loved the 1st dead island in spite of the issues ... riptide was a mess I played it at launch less said the better, and I really enjoyed Dying Light.

The delay makes me wonder if Yager had worked in similar elements to their game and now in the aftermath of Dying Light are being forced into a do over. It's already been delayed and this one is even longer so sounds like they are reworking core elements of the game not just working out bugs and fine tuning mechanics.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Looks like this will go one of 2 ways, either put back on the drawing board and not released for another 2 years, or rushed out and have it be inferior to dying light (which has raised the bar significantly imo.)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I still think what Techland did with Dying Light was super cheeky on the new Dead Island devs.

The publisher took Techland off of Dead Island, so they went and made there own game with a new IP. It was Deep Silver who are responsible for the situation, by stupidly removing the original developer in the 1st place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Back from the dead after 7 years , coming out in February 3rd and is now developed by Dambuster Studios

Interesting thing here is that Dying Light 2 dropped the ball so much, Dead Island 2 now has a chance of taking it. I loved DI 1 but could never go back to it after the parkour of Dying Light. Interesting to see how the new one goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Lenny Kravitz vs the zombie apocalypse. I assume Dambuster started again from the ground up when they were handed the project?

Sounds like it. Dev said they've been working on it for 4 years which sounds like ground up from the original trailer. Looks like they are keeping the core stuff like combat, elemental damage, etc but looks a lot better than the original trailer though (and should do).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,095 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's disappointing we'll never get the Yager Studios take on the game. It always seemed like an interesting prospect after their work on Spec Ops: The Line - would have been interesting to see if they had any more subversive narrative ideas about how to tackle another genre or indeed series. This'll probably be a more straightforward game than whatever Yager had in mind, for better or worse. Or maybe it really was just a case of a still small studio biting off more than they could chew.

Alas, not to be, and it's a shame the studio has never really recovered or made a real follow-up to Spec Ops.

• Advertisement

Hmmmm....

Advertisement