Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better Call Saul ***Spoilers***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,717 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Just watched the first 2 episodes there now having just finished BB (for the first time) last night ... they have the production values spot on with the new show and Saul still gets all the best lines.

The opening black and white scene is definitely post-BB .. as someone said, him watching his old ads explains that.

[BB spoilers ahead]
    I am glad though that the show will cover the pre, during and post BB era though. One thing that I found a bit disappointing about S5 of BB was that it started off at a point where we knew Walt would escape/get out of any situations he faced until the flashback caught up with him. It's why as epic as the desert scene was with Hank, I knew he was never gonna get taken in either.. although I didn't think they'd go as far with that scene as they did!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

They have to. He was running the scene in New Mexico long before Walt discovered other uses for test tubes.
    Anachrony wrote: »
    I'm sure they could in some capacity. I doubt he could be as major of a character as he was in Breaking Bad, but he was around.

The bit I cant remember is if Saul had any interaction with him in BB. This would make continuity tricky.

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    The bit I cant remember is if Saul had any interaction with him in BB. This would make continuity tricky.

Don't think he did and I've watched it all over the last few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Wasn't Saul Walt's connection to him in the first place?

Seems to check out according to the Season 2 BB wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breaking_Bad_%28season_2%29
    Meanwhile, Walter worries about further trouble with the rival gang and has Saul arrange a meeting with Gus Fring (Giancarlo Esposito), the owner of a franchise restaurant chain used as a cover for a large-scale drug dealing business.

So, I think at some stage he will show up in BCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Wasn't Saul Walt's connection to him in the first place?

Seems to check out according to the Season 2 BB wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breaking_Bad_%28season_2%29

So, I think at some stage he will show up in BCC.

Yeah, it was Saul who set up the initial meeting between
    Walt and Gus

The connection between Saul and
    Gus
    is
    Mike
    , who works for both of them.

• Advertisement

Yeah, it was Saul who set up the initial meeting between
    Walt and Gus

The connection between Saul and
    Gus
    is
    Mike
    , who works for both of them.

Great news. We're definitely getting
    "Gus, the early years"
    at some stage then.

If the amount of replies on this thread over 3 days is anything to go by the show is a big success in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Am I the only one who recognised Vaas from Far Cry 3.

It's kinda embarrassing that I recognised the blonde lawyer from 'Whitney'. :o

Nice trade up for her in acting roles though. She and Saul are definitely going to get it on. :p

Oh, and another thing. I've been bugging my fella for years to watch 'Network' and it got a stage that, like, you know when you nag someone to watch something too much, you turn them off it? Well, that was him. Now after the 'Network' reference in episode one, he's dying to see it! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

Watch season two of breaking bad.
    Walt had no connection with Saul till after tuco died. Didnt meet him to badger got arrested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭twilight_singer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Saul told Walt that he'd never met "Mike's connection", much as he'd like to from a business standpoint, but he could have been lying I guess.

Spoiler from BB for those 17 people yet to see it, concerning Tuco's right-hand man Nacho -
    He's not around come 2008, so does he actually get his hands on the couple's embezzlement money and leg it, or does Tuco just find out...

The time shifts definitely give an opening to bring in the visibly aged Aaron Paul that I didn't see working well in just a prequel.

But I want this to work on its own merits and not just for BB easter eggs. I think it will, Mike in full swing is all it needs.

Also, No Doze better watch that mouth of his

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

The fact that Mike has chosen a job that involves sitting on his ass, reading time, making people's life a misery is apt and something I would do too. The fact that it is the carpark of the courthouse and not the waffle house makes me think he is watching some cars a little more intently than others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

If the amount of replies on this thread over 3 days is anything to go by the show is a big success in Ireland.

Or a mass of confusion.

Has potential to be worse than Love/Hate with all the who is that, what happened there, I think it's all a dream type posts.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Or a mass of confusion.

Has potential to be worse than Love/Hate with all the who is that, what happened there, I think it's all a dream type posts.

Nah I don't think it's that complicated really, but if it generates lively discussion and interest in the show it's onto a winner.

Never watched Love/Hate though so no idea about it other than that there were a huge number of threads on it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Or a mass of confusion.

If there was no BB there wouldn't be an air of confusion. The only confusion so far was to the surprise at Chuck being a brother and not a father.

The post mortem on this show is going to be huge every week as people try to link everything to BB and how all of the characters connect.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Nah I don't think it's that complicated really

Neither do I, nor did I Love/Hate, but each Sunday night the thread became a succession of people asking questions for which the answers were bloody obvious if they sat down and watched the program attentively.
    Mars Bar wrote: »
    The post mortem on this show is going to be huge every week as people try to link everything to BB and how all of the characters connect.

This could lead to people trying to make connections were none exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,320 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Neither do I, nor did I Love/Hate, but each Sunday night the thread became a succession of people asking questions for which the answers were bloody obvious if they sat down and watched the program attentively.

and they will presumably make the connection why he chooses the name Saul Goodman or "'s'all good man" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭CPSW

Ha! I used to always think that about the Love/Hate threads :) If people just paid attention and watched the show the questions they asked would answer themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Which is their issue and not the shows issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

True but it does get tiresome when a thread is filled full of people asking silly questions and other people fabricating stories to answer them.

I did enjoy the True Detective threads though where people were trying to connect all the dots as if it was a show that was going to tie up everything neatly for them at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

This getting this much buzz and acclaim bodes really well for Odenkirk's returning Mr Show with David Cross.

• Advertisement

Or a mass of confusion.

You're comparing an apple with an orange.

The confused posts in the Love/Hate thread were, to begin with, people who had never viewed the earlier seasons or had but should have revisited them before the new season began. Then towards the end many people started to take the piss out of these stupid questions, myself included , as it was by then just part of the banter and craic of the thread.

Better Call Saul on the other hand will have people forgetting who knew who and who did what in Breaking Bad, myself included too. Nothing wrong with that whatsoever as whilst Breaking Bad wasnt exactly Lost in it's complexities, it wasnt Two And A Half Men either.

Besides, what are TV internet forums for if not helping each out with questions?

That said, the first person to ask "Who is Mike?" gets a kick in the bollix :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Is this show that deserving of the reviews it getting, Its only 2 episodes in way to early to judge it really. But if it wasn't a spin off of BB would it get such a response?

It will be interesting to see how Jimmy breaks bad and becomes the amoral saul, could be his brothers death and subsequently loosing all he's worked for to the other lawyer dicks. Incidemtly how did we find out about them being brothers must have missed that.

I'm on the BB rewatch.
    Saul does introduce Walt to Gus in a very roundabout way. a friend of a friend of a friend. Mike shows up in the same episode - season 2 episode 7, I think. So without ever being in a room together, we feel Gus and Saul inhabit the same universe. As Walt is a new kid on the block, Saul doesn't reveal anything about how the connection works.
    It's good fun on the rewatch - I just fast forward past anything involving Mrs Walt, klepto sister or token son. Walt, Jesse, Skinny Pete & co., Gus, Saul means I tap the play button.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Great opening episodes, and I just see here people mentioning Gus, and it's true he will have to appear sometime along the show :)

Can´t wait, I always wanted to find out more of his backstory, also
    was sad when he was killed of in BB - such a great bad guy

I loved the lines : Skater kid " You are the worst lawyer in the world!" .

Saul : "I had your death sentence reduced to 1 broken leg - No, I´m the best lawyer in the world"

just great ..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

It's good fun on the rewatch - I just fast forward past anything involving Mrs Walt, klepto sister or token son. Walt, Jesse, Skinny Pete & co., Gus, Saul means I tap the play button.

Have to say, Marie was probably my favourite of the secondary characters. Sure she had psychological issues but she often seemed more human than Skylar did.

I'm on the BB rewatch.

A show as good as that shouldnt be fast forwarded anywhere ;)

Im saving up my rewatch for another year or so to let the memories of it become a little more hazy.

I know. Already there was a big unnecessary discussion on when the opening scene took place.

Anyway, there's no issues with people forgetting stuff, who doesn't.

I know I'm cheating on the rewatch - its just so i have half a clue about the easter eggs coming our way. I mean I had forgotten all about Tuco until he appeared last weekend. He was such a charming and reasonable young man before snorting meth off a Bowie knife became his version of saying hello.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Love the scenes of Tuco & his "abuelita". Such a contrast!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭batistuta9

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

[BB spoilers ahead]
    I am glad though that the show will cover the pre, during and post BB era though. One thing that I found a bit disappointing about S5 of BB was that it started off at a point where we knew Walt would escape/get out of any situations he faced until the flashback caught up with him. It's why as epic as the desert scene was with Hank, I knew he was never gonna get taken in either.. although I didn't think they'd go as far with that scene as they did!!

that's never really been confirmed though, they just said they could do it.

also
    does this show not give you the same feeling? you know saul, mike, tuco & the other 2 latinos & whoever else that shows up survive. i think tuco is just in the first two episodes & that all it should be if any more show up, quick cameos. saul & mike is enough

Advertisement