Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better Call Saul ***Spoilers***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

sugarman wrote: »
    Would have to be after, hes a hell of a lot less hair and appears overall a fair bit older than his first appearance in BB.

There's also the possibility that he has simply disguised himself, including styling his hair to make himself look older.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Saw the two episodes just now. Excellent stuff I must say. Attention to detail is brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭bren2001

Custardpi wrote: »
    There's also the possibility that he has simply disguised himself, including styling his hair to make himself look older.

It is post BB. We are told in BB that he is going to Nebraska and I think Saul even references a Cinnabon. Saul is a big enough lawyer when we meet Walt, why would he lay low prior to that? You are completely over thinking, its clearly post BB.

Yeah you're probably right, but don't underestimate the capacity of the writers to throw a few unexpected twists into the mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

It is post BB.
    With Walt dead, Saul would have been wanted by the Feds in relation to mass murders in the prison, Walt, the cartel, Gus, where the money is.
    The list is endless. Bit like Goering being needed to help the police with their enquires at Nuremberg.
    Pre - BB he was just a guy who gave lawyering a bad name and they're all over the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

They're on top of everything and attention to detail is paramount, everything is there for a reason

I'm paying attention to everything to see if I can see any little Easter eggs.. I bet there's people combing through every second of it

One leg each!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Of course it's post BB - why the hell would he be balding, have a moustache and be working in a Cinnabon in Omaha? And why would be take out a hidden box containing his old commercials on VHS?

He's in hiding, that's why he nearly shat himself when the big guy started walking towards him in the Cinnabon place, he thought he'd been rumbled.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

I did wonder about the Cinnebon job possibly being a Witness Protection Programme kind of thing. But I dont think Saul had any cards left to play with the cops had he?

I wonder is the cowardly behaviour of the two skateboarders a joke/forshadowing about a certain fast food firm. Those brothers certainly were a couple of chickens when put under pressure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

I wonder is the cowardly behaviour of the two skateboarders a joke/forshadowing about a certain fast food firm. Those brothers certainly were a couple of chickens when put under pressure.

That is an extremely thin conclusion to match them two up ;)

• Advertisement

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    That is an extremely thin conclusion to match them two up ;)

Not really, Saul's career as a criminal lawyer (in both senses of the word) is started properly by his involvement with these two guys &
    his career is ended by his involvement with Pollos Hermanos
    . A clever joke about his character arc & not that big of a stretch at all.

The fact he's working for a fast food joint is probably deliberate. He can't seem to escape the junk food racket. If this goes the distance and runs post-BB I'm sure Saul is working a cunning plan to become the Gus Fring of Nebraska. Glass with ice in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I'm really hoping we get to see the other Salamanca....ding ding ding!

This show is shaping up to be something very special if the last two episodes are anything to go by. I always judge a show by how much the end of one episode leaves me hanging to see the next one and I can't wait for episode three...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭bren2001

I'll say it again, stop overthinking.....

If you've read any of the internet theories about Breaking Bad & all the coincidences, callbacks etc throughout that show you'd realise that I'm being pretty tame by comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Episode 2 was brilliant. The desert scene with tuco was would have stood out in bb it was so good.
    Looking forward to number 3.

Just started the BB rewatch.....Walt Schoolteacher still looks crap in Y-fronts and a gasmask. I can't see this show going anywhere.....:D

...and heres and article stating why Cinnabon is behind Saul and the quest for redemption.

http://fortune.com/2015/02/09/why-cinnabon-is-proud-to-employ-saul-goodman/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

What are you on about!?

melty brains

What are you on about!?

melty brains

Have you seen Breaking Bad? If so, find an online English to Spanish translator & input the words "Chicken Brothers"

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

What are you on about!?

melty brains

Los Pollos Hermanos (Spanish for 'The Chicken Brothers') - the fast food outlet founded by Gustavo Fring in Breaking Bad. It's a genuine place actually ('Twisters', as far as I remember) - I've eaten there a couple of times.

• Advertisement

mike_ie wrote: »
    Los Pollos Hermanos (Spanish for 'The Chicken Brothers') - the fast food outlet founded by Gustavo Fring in Breaking Bad. It's a genuine place actually ('Twisters', as far as I remember) - I've eaten there a couple of times.

The US midwest chicken industry has adopted BB as its own. Every lost dipstick on his way through New Mexico or Nevada buys a burger and fries and looks for Gus. Bit like them looking for leprechauns over here.

Just stop for the wings and not the legal advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    I did wonder about the Cinnebon job possibly being a Witness Protection Programme kind of thing. But I dont think Saul had any cards left to play with the cops had he?

It wasn't through the cops, it was through the vacuum sales guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Yeah he met the no going back new identity vacuum guy and ended up managing that cinnabon he mentioned in BB!

Great business for Cinnabon... Buy some shares there... they're only gonna go up

And I wouldn't put the chicken brothers things past it either... I bet there's BB nerds somewhere making up all these things that relate to BB stuff

Lads, be aware that not everyone reading the thread will have seen all of BB so maybe put spoiler tags around stuff that refers to that show. Alternatively can we get the thread title edited so that it notes spoilers for BB are also possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Orion wrote: »
    It's an example of TV networks embracing tech rather than going after pirates. They know it'll be watched the day after it's aired in the US so provide a legitimate way to watch it. New model that hopefully all networks will employ - you listening Sony?

Excellent start. Not a wham bam thank you mam show to meet hype - stylistically BB. This is going to be a keeper.

this is produced by Sony, so was BB. sony are also the reason it was set in albuquerque, cheaper production cost in new mexico.

it's nothing to do with netflix either, they're just showing it over here, they aren't showing it in the US + canada until after it's done on AMC.
    a generous slightly misleading use of the word original

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

batistuta9 wrote: »
    this is produced by Sony, so was BB. sony are also the reason it was set in albuquerque, cheaper production cost in new mexico.

it's nothing to do with netflix either, they're just showing it over here, they aren't showing it in the US + canada until after it's done on AMC.
    a generous slightly misleading use of the word original

Tbf, Tis the same over here, we cannot see it before AMC show it. it does help the company /production company. Why? Because they are getting moneys the next day that they would not get 5-6 years ago.
    More and more people have Netflix, so if you have Netflix why dl it? It's a smart move by Netflix to broadcast it over here tbh, the best show. Imo.. Spin off being snapped up by Netflix, everyone is a winner!
    (bb was not shown over here on a main stream TV channel, that's why they could buy the rights to it. Yet every one has seen bb. They knew Saul would be a hit, so they did the deal before sky or whowever could nick it)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭batistuta9

deco nate wrote: »
    Tbf, Tis the same over here, we cannot see it before AMC show it. it does help the company /production company. Why? Because they are getting moneys the next day that they would not get 5-6 years ago.
    More and more people have Netflix, so if you have Netflix why dl it? It's a smart move by Netflix to broadcast it over here tbh, the best show. Imo.. Spin off being snapped up by Netflix, everyone is a winner!
    (bb was not shown over here on a main stream TV channel, that's why they could buy the rights to it. Yet every one has seen bb. They knew Saul would be a hit, so they did the deal before sky or whowever could nick it)

in the US & canada i meant until after season 1 is done.

i'm not saying it wasn't smart, they probably do well from cultish shows, just the confusion a few pages back about netflixs not showing the series all at once, etc. & that their 'original' labelling doesn't help it, though this is really hulu's fault going by reddit.

yeah though TG4 showed it over here, as well as OZ & the wire before, nice to see a TV channel in the country with a set of liathroidi :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

ricero wrote: »
    Have to say odenkirk is fantastic in the role. He's a very likeable character is Saul

+1 on Odenkirk. He is excellent.

Just watched Ep2 last night and its even better.

Seeing Tuco in it was pretty cool, his character has a menacing side to him but he can also listen to reason.
    The part where Saul talks him in to sparing those skateboard guys lives and just breaks their legs.
    I wonder if we will see a relationship build between the mexicans and Saul (even If Saul doesn't want it). I also think Mike and Saul will start to work together as well :)
    Can't wait for episode 3

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Loving this so far. Can't wait to see what part Mike is going to play in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭CPSW

I am a huge Breaking Bad fan and when I heard about the spin off, as much as I loved the character of Saul, I had my doubts that could he carry his own show, and were the creators milking it on the back of the success of Breaking Bad.

Only watched the first episode last night, and have to say, I was really impressed. Loved the ending of it, and can't wait to get home to see the second episode tonight!!

Advertisement