Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Creedon's Weather Sunday 6.30pm RTE1

Options
  • 10-08-2014 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭

Anyone watching John Creedon's weather on RTE now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

Look at all that wonderful snow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Is this guy a volunteer for Met Eireann?

Is this guy a volunteer for Met Eireann?

whatever about going up there on a nice sunny day, imagine going up there with his bits of paper and pen in the lashing rain and gale force winds :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I remember that summer well!

whatever about going up there on a nice sunny day, imagine going up there with his bits of paper and pen in the lashing rain and gale force winds :eek:

Going up there to get a measurement of -16.4 on the grass in 2010!!! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Awww the poor animals

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

An hour long program about Irish weather
    It's official, we are obsessed. :D;)

I wonder does he get to go to the ME christmas party??

I wonder does he get to go to the ME christmas party??

No. He has to take a recording on the hour every hour 365 days a year. He can't leave his post!!!

this fella now is boring, give us more of the volunteer :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Limestone1

Is that guy actually a volunteer ? i.e. he doesn't get paid anything ?

Cloud spotting! I'd love to get up in a plane like this

Limestone1 wrote: »
    Is that guy actually a volunteer ? i.e. he doesn't get paid anything ?

Probably just gets expenses

i wouldnt have the nerve to be going cloud touching in that thing

Is that the music from "An officer and a gentleman"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Yeah, what a great use of TV licence money, sure of course he needed an all expenses paid jolly to Miami to patronisingly explain the difference between weather and climate to the licence payers of Ireland, what a fecking joke

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

ah will ya shush

i prefer cloud touching up the old military road with the window down on the ford focus :D

Yeah, what a great use of TV licence money, sure of course he needed an all expenses paid jolly to Miami to patronisingly explain the difference between weather and climate to the licence payers of Ireland, what a fecking joke

I'm finding it very entertaining!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Enjoyed that.. none of that "irelands extreme killers storms" ****e you'd get from tv3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,812 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Thank the lord for these threads! Just back from holidays and had forgotten all about this - and just caught it on +1.

Thought it was really interesting - especially the farmer taking the daily readings. Reminded me of a time years ago that we were driving around Malin Head and passed the met station and went noseying around a bit. We practically got kidnapped by the fella working there, whom we suspected was a bit starved of company! He showed us all around, and we were gobsmacked at the low-tech nature of it all - basically jugs to collect rain and thermometers - just like that farmer in his field. Sometimes stuff really is just that basic.

I'm insanely jealous of him going cloudspotting in that plane - he sounded comically nervous, I thought the pilot might do a sneaky roll without saying :D. Although when it comes to it, haven't we all touched a cloud at some point, when they descend to our level instead of us having to go up to meet them?

Anyway, I thought it was great - very interesting to me as a sailor - and am looking forward to the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Call me Al

I enjoyed it and it was very informative in basic and visual terms for people who know little about ocean currents and where some of our weather comes from.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

OK, some of the people here may pour scorn on the programme, (and remember it's a series), but to be fair, it's one of the better weather programmes that's been broadcast over the last while. It was informative, interesting, and accurate without being sensationalist, so unless you are a total weather nerd, it should have been a good watch.

I found it helpful, and interesting, I had to do weather and met as an exam subject for aviation licences, and a long time ago, I was a volunteer observer in the UK, and my wife who has no real interest in weather other than as a victim of it's effects also found it to have been an interesting watch, so that gives me the impression that the overall balance of the programme was pretty good, in that it held both of our attentions.

I learnt some new facts about the Gulf Stream, like I didn't know that the currents off Namibia were part of the same flow, and the time the water spends at low levels came as a surprise as well.

It made a good programme to watch having seen the recent BBC programs Cloud Lab, which was a lot more technical, but very interesting as well, how many of us knew that a small "fair weather" cumulus cloud weighs about 4 tonnes, a developed Cumulo Nimbus could be as much as 30,000 Tonnes, and the weight of water in the atmosphere at any time is only massive, I think the figure was 29 Billion Tonnes, or along those lines.

If the rest of the series is as good as the first programme tonight, they will be both interesting and enjoyable.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

An hour long program about Irish weather
    It's official, we are obsessed. :D;)

And two more parts to go

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Penname

Really enjoyed the programme. It was very informative and as someone else said not the usual sensationalist tripe that is often shown. Loved David, the volunteer. Between his accent and passion for what he does, I could listen to him all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Watched a bit of this morning & loved it :-):-) very fascinating stuff. Can't wait for more

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

I really enjoyed it and I have to say that John Creedon is excellent. He is someone I hold in very high regard for his love of music generally and last night was a display of what a good all-rounder he is. The structure was very good and content was simple and understandable for everyone both lay and enthusiast alike.

Highlight for me was a shot of slightly younger looking Evelyn Cusack with big 80's style hair. She looked the biz! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Really enjoyed the show. Thought John Creedon was great explaining things for someone like me who knows very little about why we have the weather that we do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

John is obviously very good at assimilating information and passing it on; and that is meant as a big compliment.

Advertisement