Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible relocation to Cork - help please

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭clerk

Adena wrote: »
    The other was a bloke at a tourist attraction looked at my son's short, which had little union jacks on and said "this is Cork you know", so I just ignored him.

BTW, no offense but I hope Gormley was his last name. ;)

Mother of Jesus - wearing a Union Jack will definitely be a bridge too far for some people. :D Might seem a bit odd for English people but there's a lot of history there. You have to remember that a lot of Irish people including one of my best buddies had a lot of land basically stolen off them by the Brits and they're still not too happy about. That would be a huge thing around Cork County in particular. Best keep the Union Jacks for the trips to England methinks to be on the safe side. You have to remember it took a Century for the Queen to visit Cork.

Where was this tourist attraction - out of interest ?

Gormley was his last name alright, he wasn't a toff. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Adena

clerk wrote: »
    Mother of Jesus - wearing a Union Jack will definitely be a bridge too far for some people. :D Might seem a bit odd for English people but there's a lot of history there. You have to remember that a lot of Irish people including one of my best buddies had a lot of land basically stolen off them by the Brits and they're still not too happy about. That would be a huge thing around Cork County in particular. Best keep the Union Jacks for the trips to England methinks to be on the safe side. You have to remember it took a Century for the Queen to visit Cork.

Where was this tourist attraction - out of interest ?

Gormley was his last name alright, he wasn't a toff. :D

Yeah, I know about the history, my family are Irish too remember. I wouldn't wear it myself but I don't want to tell my son not to wear his shorts. He is 5 so he can wear what he wants, within reason. Actually they're pjs but he just insisted on wearing them out. I hope he grows out of that.

We were at Cork Gaol, it was nice, my son liked it too, he is still going on about it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Dan Dare

Adena wrote: »
    Aw, don't say that. I am a bit paranoid that my accent is going to put people off. I sound like something off of Eastenders, I'm from the South East and sound like it. :(

Adena, there are lots of people living in Cork with English accents, as indeed there are all over Ireland. I very much doubt that you will have any problem. (Speaking as a Dubliner with a "neutralised" accent). I hope ABajanincork can confirm that. Cork people are lovely but can come across as clannish (think Yorkshire viz a vis England). One word of warning: the weather. This summer has been the best in Cork i have experienced in my twelve summers here. Having lived in London for 15 years before that, it was a terrible shock to the system. Good luck in your move.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

On the flip side, I've always felt that the winters are notably milder than anywhere else in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Adena

Dan Dare wrote: »

Adena, there are lots of people living in Cork with English accents, as indeed there are all over Ireland. I very much doubt that you will have any problem. (Speaking as a Dubliner with a "neutralised" accent). I hope ABajanincork can confirm that. Cork people are lovely but can come across as clannish (think Yorkshire viz a vis England). One word of warning: the weather. This summer has been the best in Cork i have experienced in my twelve summers here. Having lived in London for 15 years before that, it was a terrible shock to the system. Good luck in your move.

Well, most people were friendly enough last week. :) Think positive.
    Knasher wrote: »
    On the flip side, I've always felt that the winters are notably milder than anywhere else in the country.

I'll find out what the Autumn is like anyway 'cause I'm going to be over for a few days in October.

• Advertisement
Advertisement