Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary Teaching New Entrants Pay

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

smcgiff wrote: »
    Well, at least now you've caugbt up with what they said.

Excuse me I was well aware of it. I just don't swallow it like some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

smcgiff wrote: »
    Nah, there's a reason why he divided and conquered. A lot of younger teachers are as bitter with the INTO as with the government.

I think with just cause.

Sure, I agree the bitterness is well justified. I think though, to hang it all on 'senior teachers' [from burly's post] is just a bit too general.

What about all the teachers that didn't vote, teachers that didn;t even know what the vote was about, younger teachers who didn;t have a clue about all the strikes to fight for pay and conditions that had gone on before them so didn't bother engaging with their unions.

I think there are a good share of 'senior teachers' who did fight the good fight and weren't afraid to march for their profession. Just a bit of perspective that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭burly

HI all,

Thanks for all you replies.

Just thought I'd share this response form the INTO,. it echoes what dambarude said anyway.

Thank you for your query.

Just to clarify that all teachers entering service after 1st February 2012 start on point 1 of the 1/February/2012 salary scale.

This is outlined in Circulars 8/2013 and 32/2013.

All teachers who are first appointed on or after 1 February 2012 to a teaching position
    in an Oireachtas funded post for which they are appropriately qualified and registered
    will start on the first point of the post-1 February 2012 incremental salary scale.
    Currently the gross salary per annum is €30,702.
    In relation to qualification allowances, as per terms of Circular 8/2013

Qualification Allowances

In the case of persons first employed in a qualified (and for appointments after
    September 2010, registered) capacity in a teaching position in an Oireachtas
    funded post on or before 4 December 2011 qualification allowances are payable in
    respect of qualifications acquired on or before 4 December 2011. No allowances are
    payable should the individual acquire a further qualification regardless of the purpose
    of the qualification or the date of commencement of the course of study.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Don't want to start a row, but for many years the only people at our INTO branch meetings were 35 plus. Younger members just didn't bother with the union when times were good. Yes, new entrants are being screwed ,yes it's wrong, but people need to speak at union meetings and we need unity to help make the pay scales fairer.
    The govt have already pitted public sector vs private sector very successfully , we can't afford a divided union now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 poolsandles

Don't want to start a row, but for many years the only people at our INTO branch meetings were 35 plus. Younger members just didn't bother with the union when times were good. Yes, new entrants are being screwed ,yes it's wrong, but people need to speak at union meetings and we need unity to help make the pay scales fairer.

Have to agree this is also my experience. I am one of the new entrants. Attended an INTO branch meeting of THREE branches together this summer, I was the ONLY non permanent teacher who attended! As a result, most of the issues being discussed were pensions and sick leave changes as those were the issues affecting those who were there! I do go to meetings and try to get involved, but it's very hard to raise an issue when you are the only one in the room affected by it :( !! I now ask my colleagues who complain the INTO are doing nothing when they last went to a meeting. The silence is deafening.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Have to agree this is also my experience. I am one of the new entrants. Attended an INTO branch meeting of THREE branches together this summer, I was the ONLY non permanent teacher who attended! As a result, most of the issues being discussed were pensions and sick leave changes as those were the issues affecting those who were there! I do go to meetings and try to get involved, but it's very hard to raise an issue when you are the only one in the room affected by it :( !! I now ask my colleagues who complain the INTO are doing nothing when they last went to a meeting. The silence is deafening.....

That's just it really,, when asked about poor voter turnout in elections I remember Mary O' Rourke saying 'well if people don't vote then maybe it means they are happy with the way things are' [paraphrasing].

Advertisement