Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to rent apt in Dublin 15

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Jelly-Bean

Well I didn't get the apartment and the reason was because I mentioned my daughter and the landlord didn't want a child there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Well if I were in your position, I wouldn't feel the need to mention your daughter at the next viewing - after all, she's not going to be living there full-time.

I'd be of the opinion that you disclose only the necessary information. I.e. that you will be the only person living there full-time, and that you (I assume) have a permanent job. Emphasis no pets, no smoking (if both are true for you.) No point in giving them unnecessary information that might turn them off.

A child can only have one primary residence, and in this case it seems it's with her father. In my opinion, once you're the only person living there full-time, it's not really the landlord's business who you have staying over and how often.

I mean, for all the landlord knows, a prospective tenant might be pregnant - I assume there's no obligation to inform them of this, but what are they going to do, kick them out when the baby arrives?

Oh I have totally learned my lesson by now. I guess Im just such an honest person and I felt like telling the whole story is the best thing to do. I'm so new to all this, haven't rented in 10 yrs!

OK i’ve decided to change my tactics! Im not going to mention about my daughter. As bad as I feel I’ve realised that there is no point now.

My problem is that if Im looking at a 2 bed apt then Im going to find it hard to get it on my own (even though i can afford it). I was thinking of saying that my partner lives in England but will be moving over and I am trying to secure a place first before he moves.

Any advice?

Advertisement