Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to rent apt in Dublin 15

Options
  • 10-08-2014 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Story is that me and husband separating, Im moving out and need to move out soon but I can not find anywhere to live. I'm ready to go straight away and have been to view a few places that I would have taken instantly but they were then offered to couples. Are landlord reluctant to rent to singles?? I'm very new to this as I have been a home owner for 7 years so its very daunting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

Jelly-Bean wrote: »
    Story is that me and husband separating, Im moving out and need to move out soon but I can not find anywhere to live. I'm ready to go straight away and have been to view a few places that I would have taken instantly but they were then offered to couples. Are landlord reluctant to rent to singles?? I'm very new to this as I have been a home owner for 7 years so its very daunting.

I would have thought that if you produce work references showing ability to pay then it shouldn't matter if you are single or a couple.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

With couples I would think theres more stability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Less wear and tear from a single person, but more risk of damage and them moving on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Rent allowance or covering full rent yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

With couples I would think theres more stability.

Funnily enough I'd have thought the opposite - what if the couple breaks up? Two people equals twice the wear and tear, and if they have kids, it'll more than double it again!

If I were a landlord, renting to a single person with good references seems like the ideal situation.

• Advertisement

By the way, how much are you telling the prospective landlords about your situation? If I were you, I'd tell them feck all - it's none of their business. If you're telling them you're only in the process of separating, they might be cautious in case you change your mind about the separation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

By the way, how much are you telling the prospective landlords about your situation? If I were you, I'd tell them feck all - it's none of their business. If you're telling them you're only in the process of separating, they might be cautious in case you change your mind about the separation.

I agree with this and would add that any sign of desperation would be a big turn off for a landlord as well. It suggests that there is a story....something going on in the background. And complicated stories mean that a tenancy might be shortlived.

So make sure that you are being cool

Funnily enough I'd have thought the opposite - what if the couple breaks up? Two people equals twice the wear and tear, and if they have kids, it'll more than double it again!

If I were a landlord, renting to a single person with good references seems like the ideal situation.

The wear and tear isnt the issue. Its The person moving on quickly. It really dépends on thé people. Someone suggested lying to the landlord. Honesty will get you further.

The wear and tear isnt the issue. Its The person moving on quickly. It really dépends on thé people. Someone suggested lying to the landlord. Honesty will get you further.

Who suggested lying to the landlord? :confused:

Who suggested lying to the landlord? :confused:

You did. What ever way you want to twist it not giving the correct reason is lying. The landlord will always ask.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

You did. What ever way you want to twist it not giving the correct reason is lying. The landlord will always ask.

Eh I would hardly think not giving your landlord your whole personal history is "lying"

amdublin wrote: »
    Eh I would hardly think not giving your landlord your whole personal history is "lying"

Tenant needs to say why they want to rent. No reference been given. Anything not sounding right its next in line.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

Tenant needs to say why they want to rent.

Haha what? I'd probably laugh at a Landlord who asked me why I wanted to rent a residential property. "...to live there?" :confused:

Having no reference will be a different story and will more than likely will cause the LL to come to an incorrect conclusion that maybe a previous tenancy didn't end well etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,835 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I've met LLs who would rather rent to couple, because they see a couple as more able to afford the rent. (It's bollox - I had more free cash when I was single. But some don't see it that way.)

OP, you need to come up with a sanitised story to tell them about why you're looking to rent. Don't lie as such, but don't tell the full truth either. What exactly will work depends on what your full story is, and what you have the neck to say, eg ne option is to let them think that your husband has died and you cannot face living in the house any more - I couldn't pull this off, but some women can and do.

Basically nothing that sets off red-flags about you only being there short term, or that you might have relationships troubles.

Oh- and make sure you have references from work and from personal contacts that you can present as a credible alternative to a LL reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Jelly-Bean

Thank you for your replies!! So far Ive been honest with the landlords/estate agents but I think I need to start holding back on what I say. Ya see when it comes to needing landlord references I dont have any cause I have been a home owner. What do you think if I say I have been moved out the past year and living with my parents?

I have a 4 year old who will be with me about 3 days a week but Im thinking of not saying anything about her?

Its all very stressful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Hi op, I'm sure it is very stressful. What kind of place are you looking for and what rent?
    As for not saying anything about your little girl being there, surely this would add more stress to your life than being upfront with the landlord? I rented a bungalow in Huntstown when 5 months pregnant and could hide it. The neighbour , who was friendly with him rang landlord in London who decided within a week that his mother needed the house, and we were given 4 weeks notice. Some people don't like children in their properties, unsure if its an insurance thing or a fear they will wreck the house.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

zef wrote: »
    Hi op, I'm sure it is very stressful. What kind of place are you looking for and what rent?
    As for not saying anything about your little girl being there, surely this would add more stress to your life than being upfront with the landlord? I rented a bungalow in Huntstown when 5 months pregnant and could hide it. The neighbour , who was friendly with him rang landlord in London who decided within a week that his mother needed the house, and we were given 4 weeks notice. Some people don't like children in their properties, unsure if its an insurance thing or a fear they will wreck the house.

Did you sign a lease? They can only break a part 4 tenancy for a family member needing the house, not a fixed term tenancy (although in the end you knew he wanted you gone so in the end it was probably for the best for your own sanity).

Jelly-Bean wrote: »
    I have a 4 year old who will be with me about 3 days a week but Im thinking of not saying anything about her?

Nope. If she's staying regularly, you need to tell.

What will worry the LL is if it's a recent breakup, so the line about staying with your parents is a good one.

Nope. If she's staying regularly, you need to tell.

What will worry the LL is if it's a recent breakup, so the line about staying with your parents is a good one.

3 days a week? I don't think that counts as living in the property. My GF stays over on average 3 nights a week, and I don't see that as notifiable to the LL.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

3 days a week? I don't think that counts as living in the property. My GF stays over on average 3 nights a week, and I don't see that as notifiable to the LL.

This is a good point. When does someone who regularly stays over become someone who lives there and under what circumstances? Like, what if you had a friend who spent 3 nights a week in the spare room while they were in the city for work and the rest of the time at home? When does that guest become a roommate?

Edit: assuming they don't contribute to rent as they'd be a subletter/licencee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Jelly-Bean

Well I had another view this evening and I took advice from here and said that I was living with family. He did ask if I was still a home owner but I said that it was all signed over to my husband and I reffered to him as my ex husband!

About my little one, I felt guilty as a mother not mentioning her so I said that I had a daughter who is permenantly with her father but she would visit me and stay with me 1 or 2 nights a week. He asked if space would be an issue and I said no cause she wouldnt be living with me.

Fingers crossed cause I need to find a place really really soon!

This is a good point. When does someone who regularly stays over become someone who lives there and under what circumstances? Like, what if you had a friend who spent 3 nights a week in the spare room while they were in the city for work and the rest of the time at home? When does that guest become a roommate?

Well in my world it's when the arrangement lasts for more than a fortnight at most, or perhaps a week. No matter how many nights a week.

Well in my world it's when the arrangement lasts for more than a fortnight at most, or perhaps a week. No matter how many nights a week.

So is Grandpa Hassan's gf living in his place?

So is Grandpa Hassan's gf living in his place?

Yes.

Or at least that's how I would see it if I was his landlord or his housemates.

Yes.

I disagree with you. This is me speaking as a LL as well as a tenant. 3 nights a week not paying guest is not 'living' there

I'd never dream of asking a tenant to tell me if his GF stays over weekends

Personally as a landlord someone staying over wouldnt concern. Number one is The tenant paying rent agreed and on time. Second most important revert to one.

Yes.

What if it's two nights, or one night? What's the threshold?

What if it's two nights, or one night? What's the threshold?

The threshold is every week. As a Ll, one or two nights a week would be something I'd agree to, providing there is enough space, but I'd want to know. And I expect my insurance company would want to know too

The threshold is every week. As a Ll, one or two nights a week would be something I'd agree to, providing there is enough space, but I'd want to know. And I expect my insurance company would want to know too

You'd expect a tenant to tell you that their girlfriend / boyfriend was staying over a couple of nights a week? What if they broke up and changed their partner? You'd expect them to update you on their love life? I'd never ask this as a
    LL

• Advertisement

You'd expect a tenant to tell you that their girlfriend / boyfriend was staying over a couple of nights a week? What if they broke up and changed their partner? You'd expect them to update you on their love life? I'd never ask this as a
    LL

I think it is (or at least should be) taken as a matter of course that a gf or bf will be staying over quite regularly. As such, there should be no need to inform the landlord of this.

But it's where do you cross the line. From my example of the friend staying 3 nights a week, that's probably something your landlord should know about, but what if you have a friend you regularly go out with in Dublin on a Saturday night and they end up kipping on your couch because it's easier than paying €50 for a taxi somewhere?

Advertisement