Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the stupidest then the most interesting thing you learnt on boards?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

I learnt things like FYP, AFAIK, IMO, TBH and so on. I had no idea what any of those meant before I started using boards.

I learnt some nice new words that I've seen get used in AH a lot; words like: inflammatory, cotorie, disingenous, extrapolate, anecdotal, rebuttal and various other words that get used in heated debates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I have learned that there are a lot of brave and dangerous people on boards who want to shoot and kill, lock up and throw away the keys against lots of people they look down on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Most stupid thing: safe full of curry

Most interesting thing: there are people who spend more time than me on boards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

I have learned to spell blonde with an e if it's a woman, and blond without the e if it's a bloke

Mind = Blown!!!

I always just thought it was blonde...for everyone...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

I learned that there is still a touching innocence about humanity among boardsies.
    I wish the Nigerian Prince wouldn't confuse me with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

FunLover18 wrote: »
    What!? Seriously!? I guess this is now my answer too

Same as!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    Discussion threads on boards, no matter how interesting, will fragment off into bitter little spats between posters or Hitler will end in discussion somewhere even if the discussion is how often you trim your toe nails.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,915 ✭✭✭paulbok

Never refer to the overtaking lane as the outside lane in any motoring discussions. It automatically proves you are a monster on the road and should be banned for life from even being in a vehicle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

the incidence of poo threads like this one is increasing in AH. As entertainment not bad at all. The Blackbird Pub in Rathmines Dublin is revered by certain Dublin based boardsies as well outside some outside Dublin. The reason for this to me is a mystery as it looks like another pub painted black, with flowerbaskets, and rubberducks in the beergarden.

Mind = Blown!!!

Fiance = male

Fiancee = female

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

Candie wrote: »
    Fiance = male

Fiancee = female

Ah here, I got a B in higher level Engrish and I'm only realising all this shít now?

The LC is flawed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Ah here, I got a B in higher level Engrish and I'm only realising all this shít now?

The LC is flawed.

Maybe that's because fiancé is a French word? :p

Maybe that's because fiancé is a French word? :p

In common usage in English, like cul-de-sac or baguette. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭maurv1

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    I learnt things like FYP, AFAIK, IMO, TBH and so on. I had no idea what any of those meant before I started using boards.

I learnt some nice new words that I've seen get used in AH a lot; words like: inflammatory, cotorie, disingenous, extrapolate, anecdotal, rebuttal and various other words that get used in heated debates.

Me too:)

And let's not forget...

Strawman

Schadenfreude

That everybody you disagree with is a liberal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Mind = Blown!!!

are you blond(e)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

maurv1 wrote: »
    Me too:)

And let's not forget...

Strawman

Schadenfreude

Ahh of course, how could I forget the Strawman. I love that one. :)

Pseudo intellectual armchair psychology is another one I've read recently. :pac:

Another couple I just remembered are ad hominem and ad nauseam. Boards has been a great vocabulary builder for me.

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    Ahh of course, how could I forget the Strawman. I love that one. :)

Pseudo intellectual armchair psychology is another one I've read recently. :pac:

Another couple I just remembered are ad hominem and ad nauseam. Boards has been a great vocabulary builder for me.

I've learned some great vocab to make myself sound knowledgable when I'm desperately losing an argument alright :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I have learned to spell blonde with an e if it's a woman, and blond without the e if it's a bloke

If posters would learn the same with fiance/fiancee we'd be set. Endlessly confused when people talk about their male fiancee...
    "Well your fiancee sounds like a man's man" - you what?! :D

edit: I see Candie got there first :D

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Any key?

Mind blown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

The stupidest thing I learned from using boards was how dire my spelling was, and how many posters brought it to my immediate attention.

The most interesting thing I learnt from boards is how to learn to spell correctly. To be honest, I learned a lot from boards.ie from other posters, and also in relation regarding how to communicate efficiently, while not too drunk.

Boards in my opinion helped me in many aspects of communication, so I look at this as a free course in language/communication management.

It's the truth.

If it wasn't for the Mods as well with their strict infractions I would still be all over the place. So cheers the lot of you.

Their, their. You're spellings not that bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

The whole tinfoil hat reference. Didn't know what that was all about before I found Boards.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

I have learnt that I am wrong. Almost always. On everything. It seems. Which is most interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭groucho marx

I learned about an infamous poo wedding that made me consider eloping if the question of marriage ever arose

• Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭cml387

From YLYL on the cool vids & pics & links forum I have found out about so many memes without the need to suffer 4chan or reddit and have also achieved legendary coolness with my nephew.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I've learned that horses be high, and brigades lie in wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

I learned about an infamous poo wedding that made me consider eloping if the question of marriage ever arose

Yeah, that was sh1t.

I'll get me coat...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I've learned that horses be high, and brigades lie in wait.

wolves are high too

Yeahhhhh mannnnnn

Advertisement