Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the stupidest then the most interesting thing you learnt on boards?

Options
  • 10-08-2014 2:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭

I just learnt from a poll in health and fitness that 25 % of boards.ies pee 9 times a day. :confused:

I have learnt many interesting life hacks :P

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Lucifer MorningStar

I have learned to spell blonde with an e if it's a woman, and blond without the e if it's a bloke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,094 ✭✭✭forgotten password

half the base equals the perpendicular height

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 412 ✭✭better call saul

That most of know your ladies loungers thread consist of bros.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

The stupidest thing I learned from using boards was how dire my spelling was, and how many posters brought it to my immediate attention.

The most interesting thing I learnt from boards is how to learn to spell correctly. To be honest, I learned a lot from boards.ie from other posters, and also in relation regarding how to communicate efficiently, while not too drunk.

Boards in my opinion helped me in many aspects of communication, so I look at this as a free course in language/communication management.

It's the truth.

If it wasn't for the Mods as well with their strict infractions I would still be all over the place. So cheers the lot of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

I learned that if you post your boards password it automatically changes it into asterisks. A very clever algorithm I have to say!

See, here's my password - *************

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

half the base equals the perpendicular height

I can't figure out what this is for. What is this for?

sums

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Doge

Macavity. wrote: »
    I learned that if you post your boards password it automatically changes it into asterisks. A very clever algorithm I have to say!

See, here's my password - *************

Really? I never knew that, that's awesome!

I'll try mine:

gullible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

whirlpool wrote: »
    I can't figure out what this is for. What is this for?

Sounds wrong, or only works for some triangles.. Or else I'm having a brainfart.

Half the base x perpendicular height = Area of triangle. That's what I thought he meant :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Doge

Doge wrote: »
    Really? I never knew that, that's awesome!

I'll try mine:

gullible

It didn't work. :(

Wait a minute.....

• Advertisement

i know you are but what am i

You can find the area of a triangle with a strightforward formula: ½bh (½ x base x height).
    Area of a Triangle

But first, what are the base and height?

The base(b) can be any side of a triangle, however, the height you use in the formula must start (at a right angle) from this base.

The height(h) is the distance perpendicular(at a right angle) from the base to the highest point of the triangle.

So we have the following formula:

Area of a Triangle = 1/2 x base x height

Now let's give it a go with a worked example...

Whats the area of the following triangle?

Using the formula: Area = ½ x b x h

base = 10
    height = 4

So, area = ½ x 10 x 4 = 20 units²

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Bafucin

A lot of people are doing the junior cert judging from the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭qwabercd

You can find the area of a triangle with a strightforward formula: ½bh (½ x base x height).
    Area of a Triangle

But first, what are the base and height?

The base(b) can be any side of a triangle, however, the height you use in the formula must start (at a right angle) from this base.

The height(h) is the distance perpendicular(at a right angle) from the base to the highest point of the triangle.

So we have the following formula:

Area of a Triangle = 1/2 x base x height

Now let's give it a go with a worked example...

Whats the area of the following triangle?

Using the formula: Area = ½ x b x h

base = 10
    height = 4

So, area = ½ x 10 x 4 = 20 units²

You are bat sh1t fcuking crazy.

Q.E.D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

board's imporved my inglish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

I have learned to spell blonde with an e if it's a woman, and blond without the e if it's a bloke

It is spelled blond for the male noun and also for an adjective. For example the blond mannequin or the blond family walked through the door..As an adjective "blond" is masculine, "blonde" is feminine, just the same as with the nominal form.

If you lived in the states though they are less likely to use gender-specific forms. It's not necessarily but a lot more all 'blond'.

..erh sorry...

I rarely do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭con___manx1

The stupidest thing I learned from using boards was how dire my spelling was, and how many posters brought it to my immediate attention.

The most interesting thing I learnt from boards is how to learn to spell correctly. To be honest, I learned a lot from boards.ie from other posters, and also in relation regarding how to communicate efficiently, while not too drunk.

Boards in my opinion helped me in many aspects of communication, so I look at this as a free course in language/communication management.

It's the truth.

If it wasn't for the Mods as well with their strict infractions I would still be all over the place. So cheers the lot of you.

I hate posters that point out spelling mistakes. some people are dyslexic. If you can get the jist of the post just reply don't criticise spelling. it says a lot about people who do that sort of thing. I wish these people would mind there own business. If there is a heated discussion on boards and one poster proves another wrong i often see they will bring up spelling mistakes in the winners post haha

I hate posters that point out spelling mistakes. some people are dyslexic. If you can get the jist of the post just reply don't criticise spelling. it says a lot about people who do that sort of thing. I wish these people would mind there own business. If there is a heated discussion on boards and one poster proves another wrong i often see they will bring up spelling mistakes in the winners post haha

When it gets to that stage it's just time to get out of the thread.

Bafucin wrote: »
    A lot of people are doing the junior cert judging from the above.

Not at all :D It's just to remind folk that a triangle can be just a triangle .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

Not at all :D It's just to remind folk that a triangle can be just a triangle .

It's always just a triangle.

• Advertisement

I understand your comment perfectly. It's not nice at all when folk do this, but in my particular case it helped me along from 2008 to this day as I had a few problems with pronouncing words correctly, and it snapped me into the correct usage of wording.

Well it's not, and never will be, my place to correct anyone in their wording because I was there as well. No-one will have that problem from me that's for sure.

No matter how good folk think they are in communication, we will all be still learning all things till the day we die. There is no such a thing as perfect, it doesn't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

What!? Seriously!? I guess this is now my answer too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Discussion threads on boards, no matter how interesting, will fragment off into bitter little spats between posters or Hitler will end in discussion somewhere even if the discussion is how often you trim your toe nails.

People are genuinely nice and helpful. And it is possible to get really good help online on a massive range of topics.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I've learned that posting in old threads is a major faux pas. Cant see any harm in resurrecting old threads tbh.

Faux pas is another phrase I learned in boards.ie

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    Discussion threads on boards, no matter how interesting, will fragment off into bitter little spats between posters or Hitler will end in discussion somewhere even if the discussion is how often you trim your toe nails.

People are genuinely nice and helpful. And it is possible to get really good help online on a massive range of topics.

Keep away from AH and the soccer forum and you'll get plenty of genuine help, there's the odd troll everywhere though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Charlie19 wrote: »
    I've learned that posting in old threads is a major faux pas. Cant see any harm in resurrecting old threads tbh.

Faux pas is another phrase I learned in boards.ie

No way... I learned that word here too. It wrecks my head when people use words or phrases I don't understand. Boards should be pleb friendly!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    No way... I learned that word here too. It wrecks my head when people use words or phrases I don't understand. Boards should be pleb friendly!!

I was joking:) You're such a pleb.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

I have learnt what age people loose their virginity and they don't like to que outside nightclubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

I have learnt what age people loose their virginity and they don't like to que outside nightclubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Charlie19 wrote: »
    I was joking:) You're such a pleb.

I was joking too haha :p

Advertisement