Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thank you cards-are they expected?

Options
  • 09-08-2014 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I've been a guest to many a wedding at this stage and to be honest I'm shocked at not getting a thank you card from the bride and groom at quite a few of these weddings.
    I always thought it was customary to send a thank you card, especially when people go out of their way to perhaps take a day off work, travel to and from your wedding, pay for hotels and usually give a substantial gift.
    Am I wrong in thinking that it's only a bit of manners to send a thank
    You for that?
    If someone was to come to my house for dinner or something I make it my business to at least text them and say thank you .
    I dunno, I'm just feeling aggrieved that I've usually given up on 100pps as a gift at these weddings and haven't gotten as much as a thank you.
    Also, what is the usual length of time a thank you card is sent? 3 months? A year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

I haven't been to many weddings as an adult but those I have gone to I haven't received a thank you card or acknowledgement of the gift I gave. This is going back to 2007 so not sure it is a recent development.

I think it's rude but perhaps wedding etiquette has changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Big Cheese

My wife and I sent them 6months after. It was late but was sent. It is rude not too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

I've never received one either.

Myself and my partner were at a wedding afters in February and we gave the present before the wedding, no thank you card (yet).

We're going to a wedding in a few weeks, not expecting a thank you card, but it'd be nice to get one I think :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

5 weddings so far this year. Not a single thank you card. Absolute pig ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Its very rude not to send them. In my opinion shows a real lack of basic manners on the bride & grooms side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

I dunno, I agree with you all that it's extremely rude.
    Has etiquette changed or are people so obsessed with their big day that once it's over they can't be bothered to give a dam.
    It just annoys me and it's getting to the stage that I'm really considering changing what I gift them. If the brides and grooms can't be bothered to send a little thank you, then I'm wondering if I should be worried about what I give them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

We sent them about a month after. Off the top of my head I can think of two other couples who have sent us one, out of many weddings.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

I've heard before that up to a year is acceptable to send a thank you card... But I went to a wedding in 2007 and have yet to receive even a text to say 'thanks for the gift.' :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

I've always received a thank you card from every wedding except for one. But I do expect one there, just I know they are both up the walls right now! It is so rude not to send them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Wow, I can't believe so many of ye haven't received thank you cards. :eek: I've always received them and would definitely send some out myself. OK, some people just cast them aside, but many like to receive one.

• Advertisement

Tarzana wrote: »
    Wow, I can't believe so many of ye haven't received thank you cards. :eek: I've always received them and would definitely send some out myself. OK, some people just cast them aside, but many like to receive one.

The more I think on it the more I realise that it's been mainly famiky who haven't sent thank you's and friends/work colleagues who have.
    Maybe it's my family who are rude!!!! Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭happypants

I've always got one from weddings I've been to, I didn't expect it so it was actually lovely to be acknowledged.

Slightly off topic but we had a baby two months ago, we got gifts from all over the place, neighbours of grandparents and people I really wasn't expecting! it was amazing and touching. I sent framed printed photos with messages on to close friends, some canvas' with baby to grandparents. I sent texts to most and made sure to meet and thank everyone personally but I'm considering when I have time to send off thank you cards to everyone. It's been two months but I've had my hands full! I really think it's a nice thing to do. Is it expected with the birth of a baby or am I giving myself more work?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

happypants wrote: »
    I've always got one from weddings I've been to, I didn't expect it so it was actually lovely to be acknowledged.

Slightly off topic but we had a baby two months ago, we got gifts from all over the place, neighbours of grandparents and people I really wasn't expecting! it was amazing and touching. I sent framed printed photos with messages on to close friends, some canvas' with baby to grandparents. I sent texts to most and made sure to meet and thank everyone personally but I'm considering when I have time to send off thank you cards to everyone. It's been two months but I've had my hands full! I really think it's a nice thing to do. Is it expected with the birth of a baby or am I giving myself more work?!

All of my friends who have had babies have sent thank you notes for gifts. Its really nice recieve them & shows that you appreciate the thought of the gift.

happypants wrote: »

I think all people ever expect is an acknowledgement that their gift was gratefully received. I think you have expressed your gratitude and most people will understand that you've more important things to worry about rather than writing cards.
    Congrats on your new baby. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I've got a thank you card for every wedding I've been to in the last 10 years. i wouldn't be going to many weddings, maybe 1 per year, but I've always got a card. It is nice that the bride and groom acknowledge the gift.... and on a practical level that they actually got it, if it was left with a bridesmaid, member of the family, in a box with the hotel receptionist etc.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

According to "wedding etiquette" you have up to 6 months after the wedding to give a gift, and the thank you cards should be sent before the first anniversary.

I sent mine about 2 weeks after we got back from honeymoon. IMO it's incredibly rude not to send a thank card, especially considering all the time and expense guests have put into attending and giving a gift. Out of all the weddings I've been to there's only been two where we haven't been given thank-you cards. One of my cousins got married in France a couple of years ago and sent the thank you cards almost 3 years after the wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I also think it's the height of rudeness not to send a thank you card. We only got ours sent quite near to the year "deadline" but I wouldn't have ever considered not sending them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

It was something I had never really given much thought to before. Think we got thank you cards from all weddings we attended. Although now I'm thinking about it, I don't recall getting a thank you card from my hubby's cousin who got married the summer before us.

I know we kept a list of who gave us what, not meant in a crude way to see who gave a gift but to be able to say on the thank you card thanks for the saucepans, thanks for your generous gift when it was money.

Although I am a bit worried now did I not send out a thank you card to everyone, in particular some of those who attended in the evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

I can't think of anything ruder than not acknowledging a gift.
    My mother doesn't go to any weddings but always sends a generous cash gift. She always receives a handwritten thank you note and it is very much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I've gotten thank you cards for all except one wedding... And it's the one that sticks out!

• Advertisement

We sent a good chunk of them with the Christmas cards (they were postcards so they fitted inside nicely) and then others about three months later.

My sister in law and husband never sent their thank you cards (they had them bought but never signed or sent). The families are a bit miffed over that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

Funnily enough, my wife and I were discussing this exact subject last night.

I think that a huge sense of entitlement has developed over the last number of years. I realise that a wedding is the couple's big day and all that but some people are blinded to the social responsibilities involved. Of course thank you cards should be sent out. It's part of accepted wedding behavior. Where people go to any effort - thought, financial, - they should be thanked.

I believe it's extremely rude not to do so. I'm been to so many weddings over the last few years and not received thank you cards. I also know of people still receiving gifts up to 12 months later; delays which are not financially related, so I guess the indifference is on both sides.

People make a gesture, thank them.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

Can't honestly remember if I've gotten one or not. I wouldn't rank them as highly important myself.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I didn't receive a thank you card from two weddings. One I was worried they didn't get the card (it was a cash gift). Next wedding I made sure to give the card (with cash) to the groom the next day, no thank you card. It is so rude, there is no excuse. The second wedding couple went on to have a baby and I sent a present by post and didn't even receive a thank you text or even an email, so I reckon they just don't have manners.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,063 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Out of 5 weddings in our gang, I was the only one who sent thank you cards. I was the first to get married. The last groom even asked me about last minute things, first thing I said to him was the cards. Must be different priorities these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭al22

I do not like getting a Thank You cards. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 brassbutterfly

I have gotten thank you cards for most weddings I have attended however There are a few I haven't received a thank you card from and I do think it is extremely rude. Also, on that note, I think it is rude not to receive a thank you after an engagement present. Not necessarily a card but some sort of a message is appropriate. Some ppl have no manners.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

One of my friends handed me a thank you card a year and a half after the wedding. It was lovely to get, but marred somewhat by the fact it had sat in a drawer for a year because she was too mean to pay for a stamp!!

I have been to several weddings and not received a thank you card afterwards. I really think it's eye wateringly ignorant not to send them out. I think it's generally people being so obsessed with themselves that good manners go out the window. Or they just couldn't be bothered. No problem planning a massive day and having you there at your own cost with the most expensive gift you can afford, but writing up a small card afterwards? Nah, too much effort.

I'm going to hold my hands up and admit that I didn't send out any when I got married 7 years ago- and I look back now and hugely regret it. It is the only thing I would change about the wedding, I do feel bad that I didn't acknowledge people's generosity. And I'm not going to make any excuses for it, however I am older and wiser now and any dinner invitation/ birthday present/ act of kindness will never go unacknowledged

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

I've gotten very few thank you cards over the years. Probably in about 25% of cases I've gotten cards, about the same I've gotten emails and after that it was in person the next time I met them.

Advertisement