Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you haggle?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭ireland.man

So pay them 20x what they are willing to sell for/make a good profit on, makes sense. Let me know if you want to buy anything.

What's a good profit? Is it relative to the money you'll spend getting pissed on that sun holiday? Or is it related to what you can afford coming from a wealthier country to a developed nation?

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

A few years ago my uncle haggled the price of a generator from €350 down to €20 :pac:

Well he didn't really, he wasn't interested at all, it was a traveller who was trying to sell it so kept lowering the price every time my uncle said no. He probably just wanted a few quid so desperately tried to pawn off a good for nothing generator on us.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

What's a good profit? Is it relative to the money you'll spend getting pissed on that sun holiday? Or is it related to what you can afford coming from a wealthier country to a developed nation?

They won't sell it if it's not worth their while. Don't worry, they won't be losing money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭ireland.man

Cienciano wrote: »
    They won't sell it if it's not worth their while. Don't worry, they won't be losing money.

It's not about losing money, it's about the ethics of it all. If I'm a millionaire I shouldn't haggle with a homeless man over the cost of the Big Issue!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

It's not about losing money, it's about the ethics of it all. If I'm a millionaire I shouldn't haggle with a homeless man over the cost of the Big Issue!

A man I know, one of the genuinely wealthy people, a power behind the scenes in Ireland once watched me haggle with a lad trying to sell me somthing. Afterwards, he pulled me aside and goes "Tail, don't haggle, it's stupid. And rude. A mans price is a mans price. Either say yes or say no, thank you, and walk away, there and then. After a while, people stop expecting you to haggle and just give you their best price every-time."

I try, but it's tough betimes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

A man I know, one of the genuinely wealthy people, a power behind the scenes in Ireland once watched me haggle with a lad trying to sell me somthing. Afterwards, he pulled me aside and goes "Tail, don't haggle, it's stupid. And rude. A mans price is a mans price. Either say yes or say no, thank you, and walk away, there and then. After a while, people stop expecting you to haggle and just give you their best price every-time."

This mans view would not be popular amongst the masses.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I haggle all the time. I used to do it a lot as part of a job I had for many years so it's something that has stuck.

I also love to visit markets and shur them lads love an ould haggle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Young Blood

I sold my motorcycle a year and half after paying 800 euros for it. I took the transport box I got with it off and sold it separately for 50 euro and I got 700 hundred for the bike. I got 750 in total which wasn't bad considering the bike was a heap of s.hit by the time I was finished with it.
    I'm surprised your man wasn't killed on it on the way home.

ha ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Not haggling exactly, but I once visited a shop called Hard Off, which is a Japanese recycle shop.

There's a 'junk' section, where you can buy stuff that's broken, but could be good for parts. I bought a guitar there for about 5 euros - it was in the junk section because when you tried to tune one of the strings, the tuning peg was a bit sharp so it would actually cut/snap the string.

Anyway I messed around with it for a bit, then took it to another branch of Hard Off on the other side of town, and sold it back to them. They didn't spot the flaw and gave me about 50 euros for it.

Felt like Del Boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

if paying cash and its over 100 yes.

Stupid not to tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

MS.ing wrote: »
    fyp

fyp?! FYP?!

No one fyp's me! NO ONE!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Good profit is a good margin relative to the individual product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

If its for big purchases, I'll always look for a discount or a little something extra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

I sold my motorcycle a year and half after paying 800 euros for it. I took the transport box I got with it off and sold it separately for 50 euro and I got 700 hundred for the bike. I got 750 in total which wasn't bad considering the bike was a heap of s.hit by the time I was finished with it.
    I'm surprised your man wasn't killed on it on the way home.

ha ha ha

No, no, you're confusing haggling with mugging someone over. After a while, when you're a bit of an older blood, you'll discover Karma is a bitch. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

It's neither.

Penny apples

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

There is money to be made or lost by haggling.

If you accept full price without attempting to haggle, you can lose out.

There is little to lose by enquiring,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Wouldn't haggle, if I see the price of something I can either afford it or I can't. I wouldn't even have thought to argue about the price.
    Last week I was ordering carpet and a new bed for my new bedroom. It came to something in/around 1600. The man that sold it to me told me he'd throw in the underlay for the carpet, and that if we buy the bedside tables I was looking at, that he'd discount them for us. But, I didn't ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

No, I'd be mortified.

I give Mr M "the look" and he comes over to deliver on the haggling front. I then surrepticiously shuffle away my own self to a non-morto zone. He's good at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Yes I haggle. I didn't vote in the poll because it's phrased in such an idiotic way that I can't vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭con___manx1

I haggled with a traveller recently got him down from 50 to a tenner. just let on I wasn't really interested in buying even tho I was haha. Got some cheap fishing gear

• Advertisement
Advertisement