Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you haggle?

Options
  • 09-08-2014 8:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭

Was getting the bike repaired today and a few other bits n'pieces like new tyres

When it came time to pay I haggled and got a few freebies. Nothing big now, just some accessories.

Thinking back now the last time I haggled hard was buying a TV, got money off then. They have a margin built in to allow for discounts. Or I bought an iPod, chanced asking for an armband that joggers use and got it. Doesn't always work but worth a try.

If I'm spending a fair sum of money I would expect to haggle. But not over small things like day to day shopping

Businesses do it with their suppliers and so everyone can do it too

How are your haggling skills? Are you razor sharp? :)

Do you haggle? 109 votes

I'm a legend at haggling. I haggle like a farmer buying cattle! :D
    0% 0 votes
    Depends. From time to time and if the purchase is big or small
    12% 14 votes
    Nope, never
    55% 60 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    32% 35 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

I was in a bar in Barcelona with a mate and some dude came in selling hats for a fiver a pop.

My mate haggled him down to €2.25 for 2! It was hilarious. Because we were drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Rather not look like a miserable git.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Half Rhodesian

i always try but i'm terrible at it. if someone was selling me a car for say e500 i'd nearly end up paying em 6 for it ???????

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 700 ✭✭✭mikeyjames9

only for sex

otherwise I can't be bothered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

I tend to find I'm much more successful at haggling with a balaclava on, I usually get it for free in fact.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I do but its generally for more expensive stuff like a bed, car, oven etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

Never in Ireland, sometimes when I show a bitta boob I don't even have to haggle. :pac:

The only time I have ever really haggled was on holidays and when I used to go to the markets here. Haven't been in a while.

EDIT: Actually, I knocked a lot of the original price of my car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

sometimes when I show a bitta boob I don't even have to haggle. :pac:

Er, I have something for "sale" that may interest you. PM me for details. Price "negotiable".

EDIT: Just noticed your username there. Nevermind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Never in Ireland, sometimes when I show a bitta boob I don't even have to haggle. :pac:

I would have thought that once they pull up in the car that their business is yours either way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

keith16 wrote: »
    Er, I have something for "sale" that may interest you. PM me for details. Price "negotiable".

EDIT: Just noticed your username there. Nevermind.
    wazky wrote: »
    I would have thought that once they pull up in the car that their business is yours either way?

Oooooohhhh double slap across the face!!!

I'll have you know I am a classy classy bird.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭ireland.man

The worst is when you see tourists energetically haggling with local merchants in poorer countries as if it's a game and not someone's livelihood their playing with.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 I Voted For Kodos

Occasionally, when I know there's wiggle room. Not gonna argue anything less than a couple hundred quid. But I'll be ****ed if I can't get a few bob off a phone or tablet, or at least a case thrown in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Haggle all the time, got some great bargains in the charity shop today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Every single work day , its the nature of my business, quantity breakage? Etc.

kneemos wrote: »
    Rather not look like a miserable git.

I find it easier to be callled a miserable git (pronounced shrewd fcuker) than being called a feckin eejitfor paying more than 3 times the actual price a seller would have accepted. You'll also gain some respect from the guy if a long term business relationship develops,as he'll know you're not someone to bull**** around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Every single work day , its the nature of my business, quantity breakage? Etc.

I find it easier to be callled a miserable but (shrewd fcuker) than being called a feckin eejitfor paying more than 3 times the actual price a seller would have accepted. You'll also gain some respect from the guy if a long term business relationship develops,as he'll know you're not someone to bull**** around.

Yeah, I'm fcuking haggling with you from now on.:D:pac: I have printed this out and will poke it at you every time we do a deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Haggle all the time, got some great bargains in the charity shop today.

You whaaaaaaa!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Yeah, I'm fcuking haggling with you from now on.:D:pac: I have printed this out and will poke it at you every time we do a deal.

OK here's how it will go.

Tail docker. Much that yoke banjo?

Me, 275

Tail docker, give ya 200

Me, could ya go.... 350?

Tail docker, na too steep.... 275 my limit?

Me, done ;) /shakes hand, walks off smoking montecristo Cuban.

OK here's how it will go.

Tail docker. Much that yoke banjo?

Me, 275

Tail docker, give ya 200

Me, could ya go.... 350?

Tail docker, na too steep.... 275 my limit?

Me, done ;) /shakes hand, walks off smoking montecristo Cuban.

Damn. So, no change there then? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

The worst is when you see tourists energetically haggling with local merchants in poorer countries as if it's a game and not someone's livelihood their playing with.

So pay them 20x what they are willing to sell for/make a good profit on, makes sense. Let me know if you want to buy anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Nearly everyone will entertain a haggler once they arent taking the piss. Only ones who wont haggle are priests, i had station dues and a yearly mass to pay and the priest would not stir.

wazky wrote: »
    I tend to find I'm much more successful at haggling with a balaclava on, I usually get it for free in fact.

A warm head is a haggling head. It's hard to haggle properly with cold ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Often haggle to knock a few quick off something if it's €100+ and I'm paying by cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Sometimes. Often if I'm buying something expensive I'm buying it in the cheapest place Ive found so it makes it difficult when you can't claim its cheaper at some other place. If I'm buying a few things though it isn't too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Deranged96

My father is the King of the Hagglers.... a beef factory agent for the last 30 years and a tight-fisted farmer since he was born.
    His favoruit pearl of Wisdom- "Only haggle if you have the gumption to walk out"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

When a retail store/other is trying to sell an item I will haggle at my best to get a deal, it would be rude not to. I do not side with conformity to a price list :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I haggled with a prostitute once… she ended up paying me…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I don't do it, because I fcuking hate when people do it to me in work. I have the authority to discount some specific items, and ONLY those specific items, if customers buy more than one item. But nope, that's not good enough for some cnuts.

Something costs 15 euro, they say they'll give me ten. When I say no, they hand me 12 and say they have no more money, expecting me to give in. Then when I explain that I can't discount the tthing they're buying, they magically pull out the rest of the money, while muttering about what a bitch I am.

So nope. I don't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

B*llocks. Even after haggling the sh*t out of it with merchants in places like Morocco and Turkey etc, you'll still probably end up paying more than the locals do. Just because you're a foreigner doesn't mean you have to dole out cash willy nilly and pay way over the odds for everything. If you do, you're a fool.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭MS.ing

mad muffin wrote: »
    I haggled with a prostitute once… she ended up paying me…to **** off

fyp

Advertisement