Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are Gaelic Games so middle class??

Options
  • 08-08-2014 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

watching a LOI soccer match i got to thinking about the contrast between soccer players in Ireland and those who play gaelic football/hurling.

it seems these days nearly every inter-county player has a university degree and/or a professional-type job. Why should that be the case for gaelic games when its clearly not the case for soccer players??

I never thought that gaelic games were class-based sports before but perhaps the trend has gone that way over the years. certainly not to the extent that Rugby is but i'd wager that most inter-county players come from solidly middle class backgrounds.

people from a soccer background may have traditionally looked on gaelic games as sports for teachers, gardai and farmers etc. but I certainly don't see much working class people playing our games these days. definitely not at the Inter-county level

people from large towns and obviously cities are under-represented on County teams. this is not just because of the Games being traditionally grounded in rural areas but also I believe failure to get more working-class kids involved.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭IanOBo

The British Army had barracks in all the big towns, which meant they brought Rugby and Soccer in to these urban areas. Look at Limerick. There was a big barracks in the city, which is mad into soccer and more obviously, rugby. There are rugby and soccer teams around every corner in the city, while there are very few GAA clubs. This is in contrast to the suburbs and the county. The whole thing is historical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

What is middle class?

Should GAA players not bother getting an education for themselves in order to have enough so called working class players?

The reason soccer is played widely in urban areas (world wide not just in ireland) is because you don't need much outdoor space to play it.You need space to play gaelic games properly.

Of all the sh1te topics on this website I have to say this is right up there with them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

The lower classes are too busy with Dutch Gold and heroin to have time for sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Middle class, that's a few step up from the gurriers I played with and against. Class is something you had to attend if you ever went to school, after that we had about as much class as a pig wearing a tux.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

The reason soccer is played widely in urban areas (world wide not just in ireland) is because you don't need much outdoor space to play it.You need space to play gaelic games properly.

Not disagreeing with you absolutely, but I have been told that back in the 1950s and 1960s, fellas used to play hurling in certain urban schoolyards that spawned manys the successful intercounty hurler.

I'd accept that soccer can be more easily played with less space than Gaelic football.

But overall, I'm unsure if it is correct to say that soccer would be more prevalent in urban areas due to space alone.

Gaelic football definitely needs more space to play, but does hurling?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Any key?

i'm not sure its defo a class thing.
    In my college which was quite into gaelic sports the lads who were very good were given a real leg up, helped get jobs, allowed miss assessments etc for games, dunno if there were scholarships but wouldn't be sirprised. So I do think the GAA try to give a helping hand to potential future players.
    On the other hand a lad near me who plays for a team in league of Ireland now shipped off to England at 16 to train with a youth team so I amn't sure school and 3rd level would have been a huge focus.
    Also it is important to remember thay GAA is amateur and the players need a set of skills/education to gain job and before doors do tend to open....

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭marathont

At club level, in my experience anyway, you could not say GAA players are mostly middle class. Players come from all classes. In fact most players in my area would be from working class families.

When it comes to Inter county players, If a player is dedicated enough to make it as an inter-county player, maybe the same traits are applied to the players education and career. Hence, a lot of Inter county players have degrees etc.

Not disagreeing with you absolutely, but I have been told that back in the 1950s and 1960s, fellas used to play hurling in certain urban schoolyards that spawned manys the successful intercounty hurler.

I'd accept that soccer can be more easily played with less space than Gaelic football.

But overall, I'm unsure if it is correct to say that soccer would be more prevalent in urban areas due to space alone.

Gaelic football definitely needs more space to play, but does hurling?

Maybe your right with hurling, belting the ball against the side of a wall can be enjoyable but I'd argue overall both football and hurling require space to be played and enjoyed properly , gaelic football can only really be enjoyed fully when you play in a big space.When I lived on an estate when i was younger I hardly ever played GAA with my friends it was always soccer even though I much preferred football and hurling.

Maybe the GAA should be doing more to promote both codes in certain urban areas but the game being played in urban areas has very little to do with so called middle class/working class divide which the original poster raised.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I think much of it is simply that rich or poor kids tend to hang out together regardless in rural areas where GAA is most popular, you are from where you are from so there really a whole lot of the class ****e that you get in urban areas. Sure you'd have a fierce lonely childhood if you had any notions about yourself. ;)

A large factor too would have to be the ncreased iprestige of the Sigerson/Fitzgibbion cups in the recent past, which would probably attract a fair few talented minor/U21 stars who may not have bothered going to college without the lure of those competitions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Very little working class people in rural Ireland where most GAA is played, simple as.
    Most GAA families in Dublin have origins down the country.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Very little working class people in rural Ireland where most GAA is played, simple as.
    Most GAA families in Dublin have origins down the country.

I'd guess as well there is a bit more income equality down the country, sure you have those that are quite well off and those that don't have much. But you probably don't have quite so much of the extremes of poverty and wealth in your average rural parish or small villlage in my experience at least.

I sort of struggled to work out what working and middle class were but this piece on youtube is quite helpful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXZ52-XgUjA

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Ridiculious idea for a thread. If soccer players decide not to take advantage of some of the most affordable third-level education on the planet it doesn't make gaelic players middle class. It's an avenue open to everyone with enough sense to take it.

And to anyone who thinks it has to do with third level football and hurling - it gives a select few scholarships to college but the majority have to pay their way like everyone else, do well on their Leaving Cert and by no means will an interest in sport make anyone who isn't serious about their degree complete it.

Edit: I just noticed who the OP is. Hrmm.

Syferus wrote: »
    Ridiculious idea for a thread. If soccer players decide not to take advantage of some of the most affordable third-level education on the planet it doesn't make gaelic players middle class. It's an avenue open to everyone with enough sense to take it.

And to anyone who thinks it has to do with third level football and hurling - it gives avert select few scholarships to college but the majority have to pay their way like everyone else and do well on their Leaving Cert and by no means will it make anyone who isn't serious about their degree complete it.

Edit: I just noticed who the OP is. Hrmm.

I wasn't suggesting they don't pay there way BTW, just that it would be another plus factor in there decision about whether to attend third level or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,102 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

On the thing about the university education.
    I think it has to do with the fact that a lot of people from "the country" go to university anyway because there is little employment opportunities locally straight out of school.

And nowadays you have a variety of scholarships available and far more courses in sports science/leisure/health and fitness etc that attract these guys.

I've noticed over the last few years that the Siggerson and Fitzgibbon cup have become far more high profile

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭secman

Growing up in Dublin we played football in the school yard and someone had to keep sketch... if one of the brothers came into the yard we picked the ball up and pretended to play gaa , the fckers would use the strap on you for playing football, the ban was in then... hated gaa because of it.. still only have a passing interest in gaa, much prefer football.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Class isn't anywhere near as pronounced in the countryside. Its far more dependent on the area, some parts of the countryside are closer to the middle class bracket due either to the quality of the land or tourism or commute potential (parts of West and East Cork come to mind), while other areas are just poor with little to no potential for work. Its one of the reasons hurling is popular in some parts of the country, and not popular in other parts - its popularity generally followed the quality of the land.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

"Class" :rolleyes:

Great to have freddie back again with his genuine questions and issues for us GAA people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Mackas_view

secman wrote: »
    Growing up in Dublin we played football in the school yard and someone had to keep sketch... if one of the brothers came into the yard we picked the ball up and pretended to play gaa , the fckers would use the strap on you for playing football, the ban was in then... hated gaa because of it.. still only have a passing interest in gaa, much prefer football.

Football?? Sure that is GAA. Oh you mean SOCCER.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I'd have thought the amateur pro/semi pro aspect of each sport would play a factor in going to uni.

The GAA lads know they need to get a good job.

The Soccer lads will be trying to go fully pro and may not be focusing in uni at all, especially if they've gone over to England as a teenager. Niall Quinn was pretty interesting when he was on Second Captains and you could see the problem he had with soccer in that it was all or largely nothing for their apprentices. If they didn't get a pro contract they left in an abyss when people of their age would have a school or college education they'd nothing or very little to compare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

The small farmers, labourers and unemployed who play with rural clubs back in Mayo would certainly be surprised to learn they were playing a middle class game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Erins Isle Finglas, Clanna Gael Ringsend/Irishtown O Tooles, Ballymun Kickhams etc. etc. Not exactly centres of middle class

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I think the OP was talking about inter county players and not club

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I think the OP was talking about inter county players and not club

Ballymun Kickhams have a fair few players on the Dublin football teams. O'Tooles always seems to have a fair few on the hurling teams as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭freddiek

why is there never any trouble between the fans not like in the working-class soccer eh?

Ballymun Kickhams have a fair few players on the Dublin football teams. O'Tooles always seems to have a fair few on the hurling teams as well.

hese players are hardly from the Flats now.

the rural areas around Fingal more like. sure Dean Rock is from out on the Meath border.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭WeHaveToGoBack

I dont think its a case of middle class people becoming GAA players; it's the other way around.

Once a player gets well known, or on the county panel; they get scholarships to college, and then, no matter who theyre up against, get jobs over other people. This is particularly noticeable in teaching I find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

freddiek wrote: »
    why is there never any trouble between the fans not like in the working-class soccer eh?

So are you trying to say the fans are middle class too?
    Irish soccer isn't rife with trouble either. Take out Bohs v Rovers and it's almost zero.

So are you trying to say the fans are middle class too?
    Irish soccer isn't rife with trouble either. Take out Bohs v Rovers and it's almost zero.

yeah i'd say most fans are middle class. seems quite obvious. easier for them to afford the tickets for one thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭randd1

So inter county players getting degrees makes the GAA middle class? Here was me thinking that they were getting an education.

And if they do get help to go to college, maybe it's because the GAA see the value of promoting a culture of sending players to college to get an education as it's more likely to keep them at home to stay part of the organization than lose them altogether. Would the FAI ever do that? Can't blame an amateur organization for helping out its players.

Advertisement