Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childcare costs

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

RainyDay wrote: »
    How did you work out that a tax credit is 'fairest' given that it benefits high earners more than middle/low earners, and creates a further poverty trap for those who can only access low paying jobs?

Because a tax credit which allows more people to work, allows more people to earn a wage, which brings in more tax.

It also allows more spending of those wages, which creates yet more jobs as more shops are created to cater to that spending. Which in turn creates even more tax in the form of VAT, rates and the tax the employees pay.

And, as we all remember from the budgets where we were in surplus and we were at near zero unemployment... More tax means even bigger fatter social welfare payments.

Almost everyone pays tax, in the form of USC. A tax credit which came against USC would benefit even those on minimum wage. No poverty trap.

But, ya know, let's remain in a situation where highly qualified people can't take up any of the vacant high-level positions, and whole departments of irish-based companies are outsourced to india, because of the thick gits who think any relief for the employed is some sort of sin against humanity.

The short-sightedness is astounding. Let's spend a boatload of educating people, and then make it near impossible for them to raise a family here. Guess what happens? They leave. I'm the only one left in Ireland of my family, and they all laugh their heads off when they hear what I pay for childcare.

Advertisement